Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Interesting, I figured that would have been hard coded in somewhere. 2007-8 and 2010 were definitely 1900 because they would do that then start the countdown for GQ drills.

Yeah, normally I wouldn't remember such a detail, but we had the "Chem Light Bandit" on my 2006 deployment. On the way back from the deployment we were crossing a lot of time zones and every night we crossed a time zone to "celebrate" this guy would chuck a chem light, like the ones on air wing flotation vests, out the portable pump discharge hole in one of the heads. This would, of course, cause a man overboard to be called away. The guy did it about 4 times before he was caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, normally I wouldn't remember such a detail, but we had the "Chem Light Bandit" on my 2006 deployment. On the way back from the deployment we were crossing a lot of time zones and every night we crossed a time zone to "celebrate" this guy would chuck a chem light, like the ones on air wing flotation vests, out the portable pump discharge hole in one of the heads. This would, of course, cause a man overboard to be called away. The guy did it about 4 times before he was caught.

I was MOB boat crew for a few years. There's a special place in hell for people like that. I hope they threw the book at him (and then some).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Submarines we'd usually just set clocks to whatever we wanted (Zulu time/GMT for Eucoms, 7th fleet headquarters/Tokyo time for Westpacs) right after we dove, time has no meaning on a submarine anyways, especially when we used to do the 18 hour rotation.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Elviscat posted:

Life has no meaning on a submarine anyways, especially when we used to do the 18 hour rotation.

There we go

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Albert Camus posted:

Life has no meaning

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Elviscat posted:

Submarines we'd usually just set clocks to whatever we wanted (Zulu time/GMT for Eucoms, 7th fleet headquarters/Tokyo time for Westpacs) right after we dove, time has no meaning on a submarine anyways, especially when we used to do the 18 hour rotation.

What is an 18 hour rotation and why did my body involuntarily shudder?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Lol just move the clocks at midnight and if you are losing an hour your relief comes up early and if you gain an hour the 2000-2400 lets you sleep in simple poo poo.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nystral posted:

Because your body knows how bad it is for you :haw:

I never got used to 6 on, 12 off on frigates, 6/18 was a lot better, or 4/8 as a good in-between, with no dog-watches, so you stood the same AM and PM watch for the duration.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
gently caress the logs gently caress the clock gently caress daylight savings and dont ever forget gently caress the navy

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Grip it and rip it posted:

gently caress the logs gently caress the clock gently caress daylight savings and dont ever forget gently caress the navy

:emptyquote:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nystral posted:

3 six hour watch sections, so if I'm in section 3 NARWHAL* I would stand watch from, say 2400-0600, then again from 1800-2400, then the next day from 1200-1800, rotating forever. Sometimes you get a "kick" from a 4th section that stands watch from 2400-0600 every day.

Typically you spend 6 hours after watch cleaning/training/drilling/qualifying, sleep 6 and do it all again. This was the "submarine schedule" for like 60 years

The Navy "found out" in the early 00's that this is extremely bad for sailor's mental health, and was a factor in most submarine collisions and near misses, and mandated a 24 hour watch rotation (typically 3x8 hour watches, but other, stupider variations like 6-3-3-6-6** exist and are used). I was on one of the last boats to go to a 24 hour schedule, and the QoL improvement is pretty huge, you almost always get a full 8 hours in the rack, except for stupid poo poo like ORSE workups where you'll just be awake for like 32+ hours at a stretch.

One important thing to note is Submarines do not have reveille at sea, except for field days and manning the maneuvering watch, as soon as we secure the first maneuvering watch out of port berthing goes dark, and you sleep whenever you're off watch and there's nothing broken, and nothing on the PoD. You are awoken by someone lovingly whispering your last name at you through your rack curtain.

*for you guys who got out way before me, the cool new HOOYAH SUBMARINES! thing to do is to name each watch section after a WWII boat, so you'd have like sections TANG, WAHOO, and BARB, maybe GRAYBACK as a kick. On the 22 it was Growler, Harder and Narwhal, because heehee big dump, erect penis, and has a horn. This is better than 1, 2 and 3 for some reason.

**we tried 6-3-3-6-6 on my first boat, we were supposed to try it for a full 6 week underway, then give feedback on how we liked it to the command, by week 2 the crew was ready to loving mutiny if we didn't go back to straight 8's.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 12, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Interesting, I figured that would have been hard coded in somewhere.

oh gently caress thanks for reminding me I get to go to work tomorrow and manually alter 100+ parts counters thqt are hard coded to change to DST

on the wrong date

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wibla posted:

Because your body knows how bad it is for you :haw:

I never got used to 6 on, 12 off on frigates, 6/18 was a lot better, or 4/8 as a good in-between, with no dog-watches, so you stood the same AM and PM watch for the duration.

Elviscat posted:

3 six hour watch sections, so if I'm in section 3 NARWHAL* I would stand watch from, say 2400-0600, then again from 1800-2400, then the next day from 1200-1800, rotating forever. Sometimes you get a "kick" from a 4th section that stands watch from 2400-0600 every day.

Typically you spend 6 hours after watch cleaning/training/drilling/qualifying, sleep 6 and do it all again. This was the "submarine schedule" for like 60 years

The Navy "found out" in the early 00's that this is extremely bad for sailor's mental health, and was a factor in most submarine collisions and near misses, and mandated a 24 hour watch rotation (typically 3x8 hour watches, but other, stupider variations like 6-3-3-6-6** exist and are used). I was on one of the last boats to go to a 24 hour schedule, and the QoL improvement is pretty huge, you almost always get a full 8 hours in the rack, except for stupid poo poo like ORSE workups where you'll just be awake for like 32+ hours at a stretch.

One important thing to note is Submarines do not have reveille at sea, except for field days and manning the maneuvering watch, as soon as we secure the first maneuvering watch out of port berthing goes dark, and you sleep whenever you're off watch and there's nothing broken, and nothing on the PoD. You are awoken by someone lovingly whispering your last name at you through your rack curtain.

*for you guys who got out way before me, the cool new HOOYAH SUBMARINES! thing to do is to name each watch section after a WWII boat, so you'd have like sections TANG, WAHOO, and BARB, maybe GRAYBACK as a kick. On the 22 it was Growler, Harder and Narwhal, because heehee big dump, erect penis, and has a horn. This is better than 1, 2 and 3 for some reason.

**we tried 6-3-3-6-6 on my first boat, we were supposed to try it for a full 6 week underway, then give feedback on how we liked it to the command, by week 2 the crew was ready to loving mutiny if we didn't go back to straight 8's.

And there's nothing like driving a warship with 6-6 rotations!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

And there's nothing like driving a warship with 6-6 rotations!

God, I'd managed to excise most of those memories.

Thank you and gently caress The Navy.

After a week of 6-6 you don't care if it's 0200 or 1400, you just know you're going on watch and gently caress the Navy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nystral posted:

Elviscat explained it well already, but I'll add more.

A typical ideal day:
555 wake up, scramble dressed and brush your teeth.
600 eat
620 relieve the watchteam
6-12 do the things, maybe at 9 the offgoing guy swings back to give you a bathroom break.
1220 get relieved. Go eat
13-14 clean for an hour.
1400 start work, maintenance, paperwork, more maintenance, whatever.
1500 give the guy who relieved you a piss break.
1840 - finish work and eat
1900 - get to your rack
Sleep until 2355, wake up, scramble dressed and brush your teeth.
Repeat but shifted back by 6 hours.

If things break you stay up past your offgoing into your oncoming (sleepytime). If there's a drill you get woken up by that and have to play pretend firefighter for two hours instead of sleeping. You spend the first two to three years studying and getting qualified to do more important things, and this process eats hours of each scrap of sleep time.

Also they're holding O2 at 18% to minimize fire risk and no amount of sleep leaves you feeling rested

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
It's worth noting that there was a solid 2+ decades where everybody knew that the 18 hour rotations were terrible for both the crew and the mission, but switching to 8 hour watches was strictly prohibited by Naval Reactors on the basis of a study of a civilian nuclear plant in the 1970s that showed that the majority of errors occurred in the last two hours of an 8 hour shift.

(Surprise, the majority of errors occur in the last two hours regardless of shift length)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I thought it was bad doing port and starboard 12hr watches during my deployment but gently caress that sub schedule

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

What a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Cerekk posted:

It's worth noting that there was a solid 2+ decades where everybody knew that the 18 hour rotations were terrible for both the crew and the mission, but switching to 8 hour watches was strictly prohibited by Naval Reactors on the basis of a study of a civilian nuclear plant in the 1970s that showed that the majority of errors occurred in the last two hours of an 8 hour shift.

(Surprise, the majority of errors occur in the last two hours regardless of shift length)

8 straight hours is too long to stand watch and be attentive for sure, boats with really good commands mitigate this with mid- watch breaks from the off going section.

Most boats do not have good commands, for example I've stood multiple 24+ hour straight watches with nothing but a couple head breaks during ORSEs and workups, because we can't stop running drills just for you snowflake!

All the drills we hosed up so bad they turned into actual no-poo poo casualties, or caused incident reports were during these time periods, but I'm sure that's unrelated :rolleyes:

E: tricking people into thinking there's a man overboard is Not Cool.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 13, 2023

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
18 hr schedule isn't bad. during the 1% of the time you are actually on station and running ultra quiet and not running drills or having to do quals or heavy maintenance and actually have a full watch section so you don't actually have to stand port/stbd watches that either run 6 on 6 off or 9/9

oh and some of the skippers are assholes and will absolutely run drills while you're on station :lol:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Deploying on 8's is awesome as a fully qualified, E6 nuke, when you're on mission it's:

9 hours: meals/watch/cleaning, watch is 8 hours of shooting the poo poo if you're a panel watch or ERS/EWS, 7.5 hours if you have to get up to take logs.
6 hours: spades/cribbage/euchre/flicks/working out (quietly)
9 hours: rack

Unless we were ultra quiet, then it's 15.5 solid rack hours/day

Sometimes the EDMC will make you tiptoe around and pretend to isolate a leak or something.

It's honestly the least stressed and most well rested I ever was in the Navy. Probably not applicable to Boomers.

E: except the tail end of one deployment where I was not allowed on the watchbill by order of the CO, my entire job was helping the EDMC, MMNC, and EDTA "prep for ORSE" I did maybe 1 hour of work a day and got a NAM for my "outstanding work" helping the department get an excellent on ORSE, LOL. I've never been so bored in my life.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 13, 2023

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I always liked the 18 hour day tbh. 6 on, 6 off, 6 in the rack, and a meal each time you got up, went on watch, came off watch, and hit the rack. I gained 40 lbs

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
6 on 6 off Port and starbird hot racking in the torpedo room. This is the memory I bring up whenever I think something in my life is lovely. Because honestly nothing's been worse than that

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Flyinglemur posted:

6 on 6 off Port and starbird hot racking in the torpedo room. This is the memory I bring up whenever I think something in my life is lovely. Because honestly nothing's been worse than that

That, while also doing ORSE workup and sea trials (after the boat had been in drydock for 3+ years) and ship quals and regular quals.

Getting sent to crank after that was a loving relief.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Every part of this is gross. I already get insomnia when I'm home the thought of any of that just kills me.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

lightpole posted:

Every part of this is gross. I already get insomnia when I'm home the thought of any of that just kills me.

Yeah I still get it too and I've been retired for 11 years. The ambien helps though. Should get your hands on some of that

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Every day I thank my lucky star my wife told me she would leave me if I joined the Navy in 95.

However 8 year into the reserves now I kinda wonder how a retirement would have been back in 2015…

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
You know what my chief did for a few underways while we did port/stbd?

He stood 7 section dive watch

thats right kids, he only stood watch for 6 hours out of 42.

You know that "like a chief video"? Ya. 95% of the poo poo said in that song happened for me.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I forgot gently caress drydock and gently caress every single khaki shithead for ever and ever amen

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

I forgot gently caress drydock and gently caress every single khaki shithead for ever and ever amen

Agreed.

I had an EDMC who stood EDPO on the last day of the month, so he could get 2 months proficiency for one watch, while I was standing rotaring 3/4 section EDPO. Lol.

My boss is also a former MMN1 and we like to remind each other that "the best day on the boat is worse than the worst day at (company)" when we get upset about dumb corporate poo poo.

gently caress I love being a civilian.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I got to Seawolf after sea trials and that was my first exposure to Yard Sailors. What a loving joke of a fraternity that was. My LPO was a first who made chief and then got picked up for an officer program with zero deployments. None.

I had a sea-going rate, so there was no excuse

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
On my current deployment we've been changing clocks at 0200.

Also fun is crossing the international date line. Going west is fairly simple since you just skip a day, but going east we have a schedule for, e.g., March 13A and March 13B.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Crossed it on July 4th once so the captain was going to just have two 4ths. At least until the ABs tried to write in for two holidays and then we had two July 5ths.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
On my last surface deployment we had fixed three hour watches twice a day. 0-3 & 12-15, 3-6 & 15-18, 6-9 & 18-21, and 9-12 & 21-0. We would shift one watch timeslot back every two weeks. Note this only worked for people in four section.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

We did five-hour watches: 7-12,12-5, 5-10,10-3, and then one shorty at 3-7. I've never seen another command do it that way.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
All the boats I’ve worked on were either six on six off (bad) or 4 on, 8 off (better).

There’s some CCG boats out there that do 12 and 12, and like why would you want that in your life?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Madurai posted:

We did five-hour watches: 7-12,12-5, 5-10,10-3, and then one shorty at 3-7. I've never seen another command do it that way.

I haven't seen that but of course I've also had to do five-and-dime rotations.

FTN.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Five-and-dimes and the insane week long fast cruises are two reasons I'm thankful I never went to a carrier.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
All this watch talks reminds me that its pretty lucky P-8 on side, most of the watches for the sailors are usually pretty consistent 8 hour ASDO or duty driver shifts and if its a slow day guys can go back to their shop to knock out stuff (to talk with their buddies or hit the smoke pit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

All this watch talks reminds me that its pretty lucky P-8 on side, most of the watches for the sailors are usually pretty consistent 8 hour ASDO or duty driver shifts and if its a slow day guys can go back to their shop to knock out stuff (to talk with their buddies or hit the smoke pit).

loving lol bringing SDO/ASDO into an underway watch discussion.