Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

I love HEAD OF WCW SECURITY Doug Dillinger trying desperately not to laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MrBling posted:

And if he loses it, Denim Man is on the scene to provide backup.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Is this some sort of special bonus thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQhaVVSFjBA

I don't recognize the interviewer(although that doesn't mean much) and they say "exclusively on DirectTV."

There was some kind of DirectTV exclusive thing where they would show extra bonus content like this instead of commercials during Nitro. It was called Backstage Blast.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

And that he was worried Andre wouldn't do business and might shoot on him which is funny because by that point Hogan could have easily taken Andre in a fight.

Initially I thought 'but what if Andre sandbagged him on the body slam?'
And that led me down the rabbit hole of 'who has slammed Andre?' Which led me to this video: https://youtu.be/vQjC1mTSklk
And you can see how the slams become less crisp and more labored over time where it's obvious that Andre is getting bigger and can't help as much.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I could read Hulk Hogan's outrageous lies and claims all day every day. It's just amazing to me that someone can just make such blatantly outrageous and untrue claims without blinking an eye.

Like I've lied to people (even though I don't like doing it), but I probably couldn't look a job interviewer in the eye and say that the guys who started Google asked me to join in with them, but I was too busy building rockets for NASA to fly to Saturn.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I could read Hulk Hogan's outrageous lies and claims all day every day. It's just amazing to me that someone can just make such blatantly outrageous and untrue claims without blinking an eye.

Has he ever tried to explain the failure of Pastamania?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

El Generico posted:

Has he ever tried to explain the failure of Pastamania?

Not enough Hulkaroos OR Hulkayoos

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Mall of America wasn’t ready for the Hulkster.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChrisBTY posted:

Initially I thought 'but what if Andre sandbagged him on the body slam?'
And that led me down the rabbit hole of 'who has slammed Andre?' Which led me to this video: https://youtu.be/vQjC1mTSklk
And you can see how the slams become less crisp and more labored over time where it's obvious that Andre is getting bigger and can't help as much.

Yeah. It seldom gets talked about anymore but Hogan and Andre actually had a much better match a few years earlier in Shea Stadium, I believe. And the interesting thing is Hogan was the heel and Andre the face. (If it makes anybody feel better Andre has more wins over Hogan which probably aggravates the Hulkster no end.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why wasn't it just Pizzamania? The world may never know

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Halloween Jack posted:

Why wasn't it just Pizzamania? The world may never know

Because he missed a phone call while he was working out, and the next guy down their list to call was Dave Pizzahut.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's just amazing to me that someone can just make such blatantly outrageous and untrue claims without blinking an eye.

He had a special kind of surgery so that he doesn't need to blink as often as a normal wrestler. Dr. Bill Miller performed the surgery at Verne Gagne's request.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

MrBling posted:

its little things like this that are that despite being not a good worker Hollywood Hogan was such a great character at times and the sheer heat he could generate with his charisma is fascinating

too bad 99% of the time hes the other parts of Hulk Hogan

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

One story that has been told was that in the days leading up to WM3 was Andre saw Hogan lackey Brutus Beefcake lurking around and decided to gently caress with Hogan, knowing that if he said anything, Beefcake would immediately tattle to Hogan. So Andre told the person he was with that, basically, he wasn't sure the WM3 finish "wasn't going to work for him, brother" and like Andre had predicted, Beefcake immediately ran off to tell Hogan. So what was a Andre rib on Hogan, Hogan took seriously.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lid posted:

its little things like this that are that despite being not a good worker Hollywood Hogan was such a great character at times and the sheer heat he could generate with his charisma is fascinating

too bad 99% of the time hes the other parts of Hulk Hogan

Kevin Nash talked about being in the ring with Hogan when the NWO was still hot and how he kept playing to the crowd and playing to the crowd and Kevin kept thinking "surely now he's going to drop the leg" or whatever and Hogan never did until they'd hit that exact moment where the crowd's either going to explode or stop caring and Hogan hit the legdrop at exactly the right time and it was one of the most impressive things Nash had ever seen.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. It seldom gets talked about anymore but Hogan and Andre actually had a much better match a few years earlier in Shea Stadium, I believe. And the interesting thing is Hogan was the heel and Andre the face. (If it makes anybody feel better Andre has more wins over Hogan which probably aggravates the Hulkster no end.)

It turns out Hogan has bodyslammed Andre quite a bit over the years.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Kevin Nash talked about being in the ring with Hogan when the NWO was still hot and how he kept playing to the crowd and playing to the crowd and Kevin kept thinking "surely now he's going to drop the leg" or whatever and Hogan never did until they'd hit that exact moment where the crowd's either going to explode or stop caring and Hogan hit the legdrop at exactly the right time and it was one of the most impressive things Nash had ever seen.

Hogan just seemed to "get" pro-wrestling on a fundamental level. One of those things you can't teach.

To this day is he not the man most synonymous with pro-wrestling in America? I remember he and Vince actually had a storyline feud about whether Hogan made the WWF or Vince made Hogan. Probably one of those feuds which is entirely true to life. And also true to life, Hogan was correct in this instance.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

To this day is he not the man most synonymous with pro-wrestling in America? I remember he and Vince actually had a storyline feud about whether Hogan made the WWF or Vince made Hogan. Probably one of those feuds which is entirely true to life. And also true to life, Hogan was correct in this instance.

Vince, in this scenario, would be correct, as he is the one who actually bought out stars/folded various territories, made a monopoly of MSG, was the one to master closed-circuit/PPV, and made a marriage of Rock n' Wrestling/pop culture; but this is wrestling and in this storyline we're all only here for colorful soap opera and punch-mans, and so REAL AMERICAN Hulk Hogan wins by default.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
AWA made Hogan.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Honestly Vince and Hogan needed each other for them to get as big as they both did. Without Hogan the WWE expansion probably stalls out and the doors to MTV and NBC for WWE don't open up as they don't have a character with near the charisma Hogan had to crossover to those platforms.

OTOH if Hogan doesn't go to the WWE he probably doesn't end up anywhere near as big of a star. His act would very much burn out way quicker in a territory as he'd be forced to run the same cities over and over and that was a weakness Hogan had. And I doubt Hogan survives the UWF/Clean finish transition that happens in Japan

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Davros1 posted:

One story that has been told was that in the days leading up to WM3 was Andre saw Hogan lackey Brutus Beefcake lurking around and decided to gently caress with Hogan, knowing that if he said anything, Beefcake would immediately tattle to Hogan. So Andre told the person he was with that, basically, he wasn't sure the WM3 finish "wasn't going to work for him, brother" and like Andre had predicted, Beefcake immediately ran off to tell Hogan. So what was a Andre rib on Hogan, Hogan took seriously.

quote:

Leading up to the match, the question was whether or not André was ready to let Hulk Hogan beat him. And so, yet another myth was created. Truth be told, none of the boys in the back knew the finish; no one but Pat Patterson, Vince McMahon, Hulk Hogan, and André knew what was going to happen. Over the years, conflicting stories have emerged, creating even more folklore.

“I worked on that match day-in and day-out, making sure they were in a good mood,” recalled Pat Patterson in an interview for RF Video in 2018. “André, we had to take care of him, we had to make sure he wouldn’t get hurt. André would say, ‘Hogan, if I feel bad, I am going to kick the poo poo out of him.’ I would tell him to stop saying that. He was just trying to joke around. But that would get Hogan nervous too. André was just messing with him. However, at that time, Hogan didn’t know that. André played a game that he was in a bad mood all the time with Hulk. André worked him. He was so good at that. There was no doubt in my mind it would happen. André was winking at me.”

Vince McMahon shared pretty much the same opinion. “Hogan would not say anything to André, like, ‘Hey, are you going to do this job for me?’ He had too much respect for André to come out straight and ask him. Instead, he would beat around the bush. ‘Hey, boss, what are we going to do?’ ‘I will tell you later,’ André would answer. Well, later never came, and Hogan kept coming to me. ‘Oh my god, am I going to win this thing?’ ‘Yeah, yeah, yeah,’ I kept saying. ‘It’s all set.’ Finally, I got Hogan in my room the night before the event, and that’s when André let him know what was going to go down. After André told Hogan what he was going to do, there was a big hug and all that kind of stuff. And there we go.”

That meeting either never took place, took place with André and Vince only, or Hogan completely forgot about it, because not only has Hogan never mentioned it, he swears he has no recollection of it whatsoever. As requested, Hogan wrote a match synopsis, leaving André and Vince to decide upon the finish. “I don’t know if they were ribbing me,” said Hogan on Chris Jericho’s podcast. “Around 2 or 3 p.m. Vince said, ‘I think you need to go talk with André.’ I am sitting next to André, who’s in a lot of pain with two quarts of Crown Royal already ingested. That was nothing for him. He’s handing me a drink, and when he’s not looking, I am dumping it because I can’t start drinking now. Just before going in the ring, he said, ‘Don’t worry. I will take care of you.’ I didn’t know going in what that meant.”

Tim White remembered André being the same as usual, stopping for beers on the way to the stadium. “Hogan was sweating the whole day,” said White. “I think André was holding court, like, ‘Know this. Before I make you the guy, remember that I’m the guy and always have been.’”

Édouard Carpentier, who was the French-language play-by-play announcer that night, had clear memories of the mind games. “André was drinking a lot. On that day, he had promised not to drink. But he had bought his wine bottles. He was looking at Vince while drinking his wine, mocking him. I asked him why he was drinking since it was a big match, and he told me it was none of my business. No one knew he was drunk in the ring that night.” It’s unlikely André was too drunk to perform in that match, but he would have been unable to perform while sober because of the pain.

That's from the recent Andre book, which is probably as close to the truth as you'll get.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

MrBling posted:

That's from the recent Andre book, which is probably as close to the truth as you'll get.

And again, in terms of what would be best, Andre chose correct. Hogan, in the storyline, was the correct choice.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MrBling posted:

What book is that?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Ganso Bomb posted:

What book is that?

Probably Laprade's right?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Yeah, Pat Laprade and Bertrand Héberts book: The Eighth Wonder of the World.

I came out a couple of years ago. It is really good and it had a lot of stories I had never heard before.

https://books.google.dk/books/about/The_Eighth_Wonder_Of_The_World.html?id=tYPCDwAAQBAJ

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Thanks!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

NikkolasKing posted:

Hogan just seemed to "get" pro-wrestling on a fundamental level. One of those things you can't teach.

It's crazy that Hulk Hogan is basically the one guy that literally anyone on earth could name if asked to name a wrestler, yet he still feels the need to embellish his legacy. I'm surprised he hasn't claimed he was the first man to bodyslam Andre the Giant on the Moon while inventing the iPod.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It probably pisses Hogan off that while he's perhaps known more world wide he just was never able to get on the level that Santo was in Mexico or Inoki in Japan.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The gently caress are you talking about dude was in Gremlins 2

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

The gently caress are you talking about dude was in Gremlins 2

Santo got a loving state funeral, basically

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s a terrible comparison because

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Plus he'll never be the movie star Santo was

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah Santo culturally was just on a level that Hogan didn't even get close to during his prime.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Doesn't Santo have a big statue too?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

haljordan posted:

bodyslam Andre the Giant on the Moon

He would weigh less, Hogan would never make such a mistake.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Animal-Mother posted:

this got a legit :lol: out of me, thank you.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 6, 2023

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Doesn't Santo have a big statue too?

I'd be shocked if there isn't a statue of him somewhere.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

edogawa rando posted:

I'd be shocked if there isn't a statue of him somewhere.

Several

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1568648790906929152?t=d4udC1ie9cQ6FcW1hxYjfg&s=19

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1568739113771180032?t=ouHZozB9njHLzzBadTVwgQ&s=19

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Starccade '86 is so bad