Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
i'm watching this committee hearing and the "right to work" guy around 36 minutes has the most annoying nerd voice i've ever heard. we could make everyone pro-union just by running ads of this dweeb

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1vOxwMvqyZWGB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
lmao this piece of poo poo senator is picking a fight with the wrong union prez

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1633515575921057803

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
The reaction to "you mean you hid money" lmao

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://twitter.com/jonathanoosting/status/1633641475002232832?s=46&t=v-jPHHI3el2DgXfsxbh7ww

gently caress yea.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pog.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

i'm watching this committee hearing and the "right to work" guy around 36 minutes has the most annoying nerd voice i've ever heard. we could make everyone pro-union just by running ads of this dweeb

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1vOxwMvqyZWGB

when we were negotiating a first contract the lawyer management brought was a right to work weirdo and would like bring it up randomly and that did more to get my coworkers pissed than multiple conversations trying to pitch why escalation would be important lol.

It's why I think I've become a open bargaining guy, if you had lots of very clear footage of how your boss talks about you in the open it instantly makes it clear for people where the class line gets drawn. I tried to take a lot of notes and share updates every session and convey the tone to people but it doesn't always land for some reason. There's like a internal defense mechanism of "you must be exaggerating". Very strange. I wish I had recordings to distribute and dozens of witnesses

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Agreed. Def bring members to any meeting you can. Negotiations, regular meetings, grievances, disciplinary hearings, anywhere.

Seeing the horseshit bosses try to pull firsthand is one of the best organizers imo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, the absolute contempt with which management invariably responds to even the most reasonable requests is a critical part of escalation. i think most people implicitly believe the horseshit that sure, unions were necessary back then, but nowadays things are more enlightened, or maybe some jobs today still need unions like the rail workers, but we don't. The reality is always so much worse than anyone expects. i think the real payoff of a petition drive like the one someone itt had in their hospital a few weeks ago is letting the workers see how, even though a petition feels like an incredibly reasonable thing that people understand as a non-confrontational alternative to a protest or strike, management will still always refuse to engage with it

We had a great thing last year where after we did a petition over raises and got ignored, we brought a hundred and change workers to the lobby of the big boss's office, said we wanted "a meeting," and did some yelling and chanting. We got the raises two weeks later (still no acknowledgment from the boss though lol)

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 18:48 on Mar 9, 2023

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/davidrkadler/status/1633857864245583879

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

god, i see what you have done for other countries and i want that for mine

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
now this is investigative journalism

https://twitter.com/tarpleyhitt/status/1634201623198048257

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Free scabby

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

loving Bullshit.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I saw one the other day that was a fat cat choking workers but it was hard to tell if it was pro or anti labor

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Tom Smykowski posted:

I saw one the other day that was a fat cat choking workers but it was hard to tell if it was pro or anti labor

old LF heads will remember this

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

currently at delegate training for my union, was able to talk to a really cool old social worker who has been to a negotiation before, gave me some good advice for my workplace’s own upcoming negotiations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I have actual genuine for real no-poo poo :siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren: to report in a cspam EXCLUSIVE:

Verizon signed an agreement with the NLRB over my case, the terms of which are that they had to give me about $15k cash, $8k 401k/other benefits, and my job reinstated. I'm walking back to work at the Northgate store in Seattle on Monday the 20th. (if you're seattle area and wanna come in the morning to attend the rally about it, PM me)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's amazing! congrats! :toot: :woop:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Congrats!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

:hellyeah:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Hell yeah. Congrats!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

I have actual genuine for real no-poo poo :siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren: to report in a cspam EXCLUSIVE:

Verizon signed an agreement with the NLRB over my case, the terms of which are that they had to give me about $15k cash, $8k 401k/other benefits, and my job reinstated. I'm walking back to work at the Northgate store in Seattle on Monday the 20th. (if you're seattle area and wanna come in the morning to attend the rally about it, PM me)

That's incredible!! Congratulations! :toot:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's sick, congratulations!!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kingcobweb posted:

:hellyeah:

This loving rules.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

pogi posted:

currently at delegate training for my union, was able to talk to a really cool old social worker who has been to a negotiation before, gave me some good advice for my workplace’s own upcoming negotiations.

PMed you! i'm a social worker on the bargaining unit for my behavioral health union. 🤝

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

gently caress ya

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

kickass

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

kingcobweb posted:

That's what's up

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

kingcobweb posted:

oh poo poo mazel tov!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

kingcobweb posted:

hell yeah.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

hell yeah

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

kingcobweb posted:

Congrats man!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

kingcobweb posted:

nice

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
here's the local labor publication about it: https://www.thestand.org/2023/03/join-jesses-return-to-verizon-on-march-20/

i'm glad all the news stuff from that has me in a Joy Division shirt but i wish i had gotten a haircut + shave

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

kingcobweb posted:

kickass

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

its a clean sweep of the corrupt UAW leadership by the challengers, after a long rear end run off election+delayed ballot count. there's a new caucus at the helm for the first time in 70 years. There's an interview with the new guy here https://inthesetimes.com/article/uaw-president-shawn-fain-interviewed-by-steven-greenhouse

It would be cool for American auto to go on a real strike again. Plus obviously the academic sector has seen a real surge of organized struggle in the past decades, as part of UAW and other unions like UE etc. exciting stuff, can't wait to see what happens in this next chapter of this union

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

man that is unreservedly good news. long road, but at least the path is clear

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lmao

I shared that interview about Greenhouse with a group of people that includes a very well known ... official... of a very well known UAW local. I added "It's a bigger picture thing, but everyone should be excited about this"

that person's simple reply was "no"

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

lmao

I shared that interview about Greenhouse with a group of people that includes a very well known ... official... of a very well known UAW local. I added "It's a bigger picture thing, but everyone should be excited about this"

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

lmao

Lol