Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

glenn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I haven't watched the last 2 matches of Starrcade '86 yet, but the only good match so far has been Midnight Express vs Road Warriors. The Gavin vs Bubba match wasn't bad until the end. Everything just feels like spinning wheels during this event unlike the last 3 starrcades that resolved stories.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

iamsosmrt posted:

Hulk used all his acting chops to not crack up at granny's attack.

It is surprising that someone with as much physical presence and charisma as Hogan would suck so much as an actor.

Because say what you want about the lying racist sack of poo poo that Hogan is, in a wrestling ring he did have charisma and presence. None of which tranlsted to any of his TV or movie appearances. (Although I will confess that Suburban Commando was a fun film that I enjoyed watching.)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

BrigadierSensible posted:

It is surprising that someone with as much physical presence and charisma as Hogan would suck so much as an actor.

Because say what you want about the lying racist sack of poo poo that Hogan is, in a wrestling ring he did have charisma and presence. None of which tranlsted to any of his TV or movie appearances. (Although I will confess that Suburban Commando was a fun film that I enjoyed watching.)

What was that show he did that was basically Knight Rider with a boat?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Thunder in paradise

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Thunder in paradise

quote:

Hulk Hogan stated in an interview that he did not get to keep the Thunder Scarab boat used on screen, but he had one built. Hogan said he made the decision when he was heavily medicated following a surgery.

"Following a surgery" lol

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 13, 2023

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

haljordan posted:

Hey man. Diverticulitis of the penis requires A LOT of surgeries

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Thunder in paradise

Wow, Jack Lemmon's kid has really never done anything else, has he?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Red posted:

Wow, Jack Lemmon's kid has really never done anything else, has he?

He literally said that show completely killed his career lol

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Anyone else watching reliving the war on youtube? They just hit THE georgia dome nitro and it’s some great nostalgia.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thunder in paradise

MESSIN' WITH HIM IS LIKE ROLLIN' DE DICE

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think his wrestling presence and charisma actually translated almost 100% to his acting work, for better and for worse. If you think of wrestlers as essentially specialized actors, all his strengths and weaknesses were pretty much the same, particularly in No Holds Barred and Suburban Commando. The dude was most interesting when doing the Hulk Hogan growling and shouting at his audience while being larger than life. But like his wrestling, his line delivery was never more than 1 dimensional, his physicality looked wooden, his strikes were poo poo and his selling was either non-existent or melodramatic. And for the record, I was a hulkamaniac as a child and used to love his movies when I was about 5-7, but as I got older, I could see that just like his wrestling, they were dogshit.

Outside of wrestling, I think his main strengths only translated well to like motivational speaker, drill instructor or personal trainer. Most of his attempts at talking "normally" have usually come off as fake as hell or grimey, wrestling or not. That infomercial for his grill is a perfect example.

It's interesting to think of other wrestlers who turned to acting and I can only name Batista and to a lesser extent the Rock and Cena as guys who really showed more range beyond what they did as wrestlers. Guys like Piper, Hart, Ventura, Austin, etc. basically seemed to play it to their kayfabe personas. I haven't seen most of the 2000s WWE movies.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2MYETWqb8w

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The cowards should have had Nikita win. Lmao what a dumb finish.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MrBling posted:

That's from the recent Andre book, which is probably as close to the truth as you'll get.

Andre just loving with Hogan for the fun of it rules so much.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

He should have taken more serious roles.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wYs-0EO0ts

I'd like to see Pacino, Deniro or Hanks try to perform this more convincingly than the Hulkster.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

iamsosmrt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wYs-0EO0ts

I'd like to see Pacino, Deniro or Hanks try to perform this more convincingly than the Hulkster.

Was this in the original script or in the alleged coke-fueled re-write Vince and Hogan did, do you think?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

haljordan posted:

I used to work for Scarab's parent company and i cut hundreds of Scarab jet boat hulls. It's a pretty cool boat and it's hard to fault Terry for wanting one tbh

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

Mr Nanny was pretty serious

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Animal-Mother posted:

Forrest Gump, but instead of historical events it's just Hogan telling his life story to random people on that bench, just before his big match against Andre.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Nah, make the bench moment when he was trying to decide whether or not Wrestlemania VIII would be his last match.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Brock Lesnar killed Hulk Hogan for real with a 20 minute bearhug in 2002

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Was this in the original script or in the alleged coke-fueled re-write Vince and Hogan did, do you think?
It seems like exactly the kind of thing Vince would write.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Pretty sure any movie featuring Hogan recalling his past will feature a 7-foot Hogan with a full head of hair.

Halloween Jack posted:

It seems like exactly the kind of thing Vince would write.

Shouldn't Hogan's character have chased that guy with his own poopy underwear on a stick?

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Hulk Hogan: [holding skull] alas, poor yorick. I knew him, brother. A fellow of infinite jest, dude

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Hogan needed to act in some early 90s low budget indie movies to prove his acting cred. Just imagine him as Mr Blonde in Reservoir Dogs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sandman McMahon posted:

Hogan needed to act in some early 90s low budget indie movies to prove his acting cred. Just imagine him as Mr Blonde in Reservoir Dogs.

The low budget made for TNT movies don't count?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Drainage! Drainage, Eli, you boy! Drained dry. I’m so sorry. Here: if you have a milkshake, brother, and I have a milkshake, dude, and I have a straw — There it is. That's a straw, see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room, and starts to drink your milkshake. I drink your milkshake, jack! I drink it up in front of 100,000 screaming Plainamaniacs!

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Mr Nanny was pretty serious

The Rock did Southland Tales, and that helped his perception, if I remember. I wonder if something like that would've helped Hogan's career too, or if he wouldn't have been able to.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I recall him getting plaudits for his performance in Be Cool as well as the one of the few highlights of an otherwise poo poo film.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

edogawa rando posted:

I recall him getting plaudits for his performance in Be Cool as well as the one of the few highlights of an otherwise poo poo film.

"Somehow, a pro wrestler wasn't the worst part of this god-awful film."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

The low budget made for TNT movies don't count?

They don't because Assault on Devil's Island rules and no one gives him credit for it. People are very mean to Big Wood.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Those Turner movie tie-ins were absolutely effective at getting kids like me to watch, but I guess that wasn't the demographic they were going for on Shutterspeed or The Real Reason (Men Commit Crimes)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

i saw that film in the cinema and it was really really boring but the rock was fun

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I wish we had gotten the version of The Wrestler starring Hogan that we deserved.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
He drops the leg on the Ayatollah gets the one two three and rides off into the sunset happy and healthy brother

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

haunted bong posted:

Hulk Hogan: [holding skull] alas, poor yorick. I knew him, brother. A fellow of infinite jest, dude

"Bret and Yoko got a pop, but it was a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, brother. Send me out there."

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Grendels Dad posted:

Forrest Gump, but instead of historical events it's just Hogan telling his life story to random people on that bench, just before his big match against Andre.

He still meets the presidents but each time it's just Vince in a different wig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

El Generico posted:

The Rock did Southland Tales, and that helped his perception, if I remember. I wonder if something like that would've helped Hogan's career too, or if he wouldn't have been able to.

I think the problem is that Hulk Hogan is a six and half foot tall orange muscle goblin and audiences would never be able to see him as anybody but Hulk Hogan no matter how good his acting was.
Even Batista and The Rock don't look unique in the way Hogan does.