Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

buglord posted:

When do we learn more out this game? The 20th, along side their Not-Sims presentation?

What's this not-sims?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MikeJF posted:

What's this not-sims?

Paradox announced a Sims competitor this week but it's not being made by Colossal Order.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the not-sims is made in house by paradox the developer (I believe, info is not really there admittedly) and paradox the publisher division oversees skylines, to a degree

skylines the second will probably have module airports/parks/etc out the gate given that's all they could do with half the DLCs, as well as a whole lot of engine changes given the game is now eight years old

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Let me build underwater dome cities or space dome cities or a city in like Homer's land of chocolate. Go crazy with the city building imo

Give us the Candy/Toyland theme from Transport Tycoon, go full circle.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

mutata posted:

Paradox announced a Sims competitor this week but it's not being made by Colossal Order.
Thank the gods.

Gamerofthegame posted:

the not-sims is made in house by paradox the developer (I believe, info is not really there admittedly) and paradox the publisher division oversees skylines, to a degree
That... actually sounds promising. Hopefully they borrowed some people from the Crusader Kings team.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Poil posted:

Thank the gods.

That... actually sounds promising. Hopefully they borrowed some people from the Crusader Kings team.

They have one of the big wigs from the Sims 2 working on it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anyone know of an up to date mod collection? I've put 2 hours into trying to update my mods and it's just this nightmare of depreciated mods that work, depreciate mods that don't work but there's a fix, depreciated mods that work but a dependency mod is out of date but maybe there's a fix but the fix doesn't work with another mod you use so you should use this new mod but comments say it's also currently broken so you should use this other mod that doesn't quite do the same thing but it's maybe good enough?

Absolute nightmare.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah. That's why I quit Skylines a year ago. It's only gotten worse since. Skylines 2 might be pretty great but no way in hell am I going to touch it unless it's great totally vanilla (which, lol). The Paradox business model really does not mix with a game that requires extensive modding to be really interesting.

e: sorry, I just realized I'm repeating myself from the last page, I forgot I'd already posted this :sigh:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 11, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i don't think there is one. worse, i don't think anyone's ever successfully put one together

and because it's over steam workshop, you won't see a nexusmods mod collection maintainer trying to keep it all together

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really want a mod that will let me place transit stations freehand without having to snap them to a road and ideally also let me place roads that will snap to the side of a transit station.
I hate having to plan out roads first and fit the transit lines to them instead of being able to do it the other way around.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Cities Skylines 2 wish I know isn’t gonna be fulfilled:

Beautiful rural zoning and nice old country homes between fields of crops :(

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I miss how you could just zone out some farms in SC4

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You guys are crazy, I love the 4x4 farms that produce 96 trucks

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Entropic posted:

I really want a mod that will let me place transit stations freehand without having to snap them to a road and ideally also let me place roads that will snap to the side of a transit station.
I hate having to plan out roads first and fit the transit lines to them instead of being able to do it the other way around.

Move It lets you do all this. It's more fiddly than the ideal you have but it works.

All the stuff that has to be placed on roads in C:S sucks.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Fwiw, I just picked this up on Switch and it’s not as dialed down as I thought.

No mods obviously, but still a good game on Switch.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

At least there is an honest trailer for Skylines2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OJlgs7VHU8

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Grand Fromage posted:

I still think SC4 looks better than C:S.

All the graphics advances in the world can't match what the best talent can bring. Maxis from the mid 90s to mid 2000s was a top of the pack game company, and city builders weren't niche yet. The pull a project like SC4 could have on getting quality artists etc is very different to what Colossal Order can do with Skylines.

Sadly. We're probably never getting a city builder quite like SC4 again.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIfurHrCXmM

Tldr:
Original Cities: Skylines was developed within 2 years by a team of 9 -13 people.
Currently they have a team of thirty.
CO Mariina is to blame for the Chirper. :argh:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Koramei posted:

All the graphics advances in the world can't match what the best talent can bring. Maxis from the mid 90s to mid 2000s was a top of the pack game company, and city builders weren't niche yet. The pull a project like SC4 could have on getting quality artists etc is very different to what Colossal Order can do with Skylines.

Sadly. We're probably never getting a city builder quite like SC4 again.

hell i still think sc2k has better building designs than cs. even the polygonal landscape has more charm than the playdough mounds of cs

maybe ill try my hand at modeling the sc2k buildings in cs2. i tried in cs1 but could never get the scales right.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The trailer has a whole lot of cars for a city. :argh:

Paradox needs to get in on the War on Cars!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

C:S1 definitely has an issue with scale between buildings. Tall buildings just aren't tall enough, and/or small buildings are too large. Skyscrapers just never really become sufficiently imposing on the landscape. But it also turns back to the question of overall scale, as in amount of city blocks, number of buildings on them, etc. The largest (zone-growable) factories have no bigger footprint than any single-family home. You basically need to use ploppables to get reasonable scale buildings.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

nielsm posted:

C:S1 definitely has an issue with scale between buildings. Tall buildings just aren't tall enough, and/or small buildings are too large. Skyscrapers just never really become sufficiently imposing on the landscape. But it also turns back to the question of overall scale, as in amount of city blocks, number of buildings on them, etc. The largest (zone-growable) factories have no bigger footprint than any single-family home. You basically need to use ploppables to get reasonable scale buildings.

Boy would I love to see stuff like this get improved. I do not have the time to manually plop every asset down, but I hate the look of most of the CS buildings.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Ultimately I can't be too mad at anyone for the current state of city builders except EA. EA and Microsoft were the masters of killing their own hugely successful PC mega-franchises in the early 2000s. More than ever post-MS Flight Sim 2020-release I'm convinced they basically just dumped reliable money in the trash when they shed all those titles and closed those studios. Like, the new flight sim (which followed up on the weirdly Sim City '13-like bomb MS Flight) isn't really even any friendlier than the old ones. It's a weirdly cumbersome and intuitive game but turns out flight simulators still sell, and I would bet anything that a proper high budget throwback Sim City could sell double digit millions of copies as well.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
according to this video, the modders behind MoveIt and IMT and Node Controller are working on the development team now, that's interesting for hopefully giving them some people on the inside who know what the player community actually wants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqxs0zMAzlk

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's funny a big reason why the skylines modding scene is such a horrible clusterfuck these days is that paradox hired a ton of the most important modders so they then didn't have time to keep their mods up to date lol

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Macsergey still works on his mods (especially IMT) even tho he got hired quite a while ago :shrug:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Can somebody explain to me why I'm having a TON of lumber being imported even though I have plenty of forests and have created forestry districts? I'm not sure why I'm getting choked with import traffic even though I have plenty of resources to harvest.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Warehouses set to Balanced or Fill for lumber products will ensure they're at 50% and 100% full respectively. By whatever means necessary. And if all of a warehouse/lumberyard's trucks are all in use moving product around, the destination will also import lumber because they need it now, goddammit. So when you set up a new industry area especially, you'll have hundreds of trucks clogging your roads to import raw materials you are already producing. So you can very easily run into a problem where trucks are stuck in traffic delivering home-grown lumber, while further back in the traffic jam are other trucks who are importing lumber to the exact same destination for the same order.

Also all this importing completely wrecks your budget because they're doing so on the city's dime.

If you're playing on PC, then just go install the AdvancedOutsideConnection mod and turn off imports for lumber for every road connection.

DoubleNegative posted:

AdvancedOutsideConnection

It adds a feature to the Outside Connections overlay in your data views. You can then click on the IN-bound roads and drag the sliders down to 0% for whatever industries you're running in your city. Every new type of outside connection you get, you have to go in and disable imports for the industry type, however.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 13, 2023

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vargatron posted:

Can somebody explain to me why I'm having a TON of lumber being imported even though I have plenty of forests and have created forestry districts? I'm not sure why I'm getting choked with import traffic even though I have plenty of resources to harvest.

Because the whole industry system barely works and is full of stupid poo poo like this. CO apparently really tried to get the flow of goods in cities a bit more logical, but they couldn't figure it out lol

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks for the explanations. I was reading and it seemed like a lot of other people were having the same issue. Sounds like the DLC is just bad.

I did fix the traffic issues by making a highway bypass to the industrial areas. I still get some congestion but not to the point to where things are locking down the city.

I kind of feel like I just need to turn off all the DLC and play the base game because I keep running into these issues I have to look up and it's like "oh they didn't implement this intuitively".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There’s a mod that significantly reduces the amount of traffic generated by industrial districts. I forget what it’s called, but I installed it and never looked back, I don’t care if it’s “cheating” the base traffic numbers are crazy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You can also "cheat" by simply removing every stop light and stop sign in your city, since all cars are fully auto-driven by a central hivemind and there is no such thing as a collision.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I actually thought it’d be cool to have traffic accidents in the game. An intersection graded as ”bad” or however it’d be would have a chance of generating an accident. That accident needs a cop car, fire truck, and an ambulance to resolve, while backing up traffic.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Vahakyla posted:

I actually thought it’d be cool to have traffic accidents in the game. An intersection graded as ”bad” or however it’d be would have a chance of generating an accident. That accident needs a cop car, fire truck, and an ambulance to resolve, while backing up traffic.

Of course this would need some changes so firetruck doesn't wait in traffic jam but moves between lanes (I haven't played in a while, maybe they changed this)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Having some kind of collision model is the way you can really have both stop signs and yield signs like people really want, otherwise perfect traffic merging means there's no reason not to make even the biggest intersections yield instead of stop.

Burns
May 10, 2008

RPS has posted an article about simcity 2013. I think they sort of miss the mark, blaming the game's launch on always on internet connection and server problems. There were far more issues unfortunately.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Burns posted:

RPS has posted an article about simcity 2013. I think they sort of miss the mark, blaming the game's launch on always on internet connection and server problems. There were far more issues unfortunately.

I love the intensely american idea that zoning density is entirely down to how wide the road was. If you want dense buildings, you have to put down a big wide nasty stroad.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

commando in tophat posted:

Of course this would need some changes so firetruck doesn't wait in traffic jam but moves between lanes (I haven't played in a while, maybe they changed this)
That is a good entrance ramp to talking about what I really hope for CS2, which is that they move a bit away from being Traffic Simulator the way CS is and nudge the pendulum back towards city planning.

I'm okay with roads with high traffic giving me penalties; less desirability because who wants to live in gridlock, more costs because I'm spending more on road maintenance and I have to fund more utilities trucks because their effective range is lower, less taxes because my shops can't get as many goods in to sell. That would all be fine. But I would very much like to get away from the model where one too few railroad stations or a single misplaced road can cause a traffic jam death spiral that eventually kills the entire city.

Hopefully they'll at least have a day/night cycle and some traffic fluctuations based on that, so you just have to really worry about a twice-daily surge at rush hour and you can do what actual cities do and send all the commercial traffic out in the middle of the night when everyone's asleep and run your utilities in the early morning.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That sure would be nice, but Traffic Puzzles is all CO knows how to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Day night cycle is fine but adding budget for day night sliders I find kind of ridiculous.

I know folks love their ploppables but id much like to see the growable/dynamic system that is used for RCI and applied elsewhere. For example a healthcare zoning to build hospitals, civic zoning for police/fire services and better developed zoning for farming and industry to dynamically generate.