Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Give them a filthy little Liechten-kalinn-stein-grad to deal with inside their alpen cauldron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1635022540321214468
Partisans are still being thorns in the side of the occupiers.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Partigiano, portami via

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Switzerland pulling a 'we're special and different' gets less and less cute the more integrated the world is. You can only pretend you're nor in the camp of Europe so long when your only other company in the "European country pretending they're not in Europe" is the UK, Serbia, and Hungary. All states nobody would point at "the future of Europe".

Join or die buddy. This is 2023 not 1914.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
upset at not being the center of world conflict for the first time in 20 years, the US starts a war with Switzerland to show them what's what and conquer their strategic chocolate stores.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 13, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1635051841263382535
Kyslytsya is so good at what he does.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Switzerland pulling a 'we're special and different' gets less and less cute the more integrated the world is. You can only pretend you're nor in the camp of Europe so long when your only other company in the "European country pretending they're not in Europe" is the UK, Serbia, and Hungary. All states nobody would point at "the future of Europe".

Join or die buddy. This is 2023 not 1914.

I don't give a poo poo if they don't want to get involved with anything, what's really gross is that they will sell you a gun to defend yourself with but balk at the idea of selling you ammo to defend yourself with. They have no business selling arms.

It's exploitive, hypocritical, and a whole bunch of other awful things.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1634998624957657090
Take it with a grain of salt but a Ukrainian major says that only 7,000 of the core Wagner forces remain alive.
e: possible :nms: for graves of Wagner mercenaries in tweet

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

PinheadSlim posted:

I don't give a poo poo if they don't want to get involved with anything, what's really gross is that they will sell you a gun to defend yourself with but balk at the idea of selling you ammo to defend yourself with. They have no business selling arms.

Well, they are a bunch of Calvinists after all.

This is a joke, Switzerland would still be awful regardless as to what church traditions were established there

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

zone posted:

Take it with a grain of salt but a Ukrainian major says that only 7,000 of the core Wagner forces remain alive.

Are we defining core Wagner as the pre-2022 invasion forces? Because I was under the impression they've been reduced to prisoner mobiks for a while now

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

Are we defining core Wagner as the pre-2022 invasion forces? Because I was under the impression they've been reduced to prisoner mobiks for a while now

Pre-2022 invasion forces. They are no longer allowed to recruit prisoners and in some cases even their regular recruits are taken by the Russian army and subordinated under their units. Prigozhin also opened a ton of recruitment centers looking for new mercs because he has no other means to replenish his forces.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

zone posted:

Pre-2022 invasion forces. They are no longer allowed to recruit prisoners and in some cases even their regular recruits are taken by the Russian army and subordinated under their units. Prigozhin also opened a ton of recruitment centers looking for new mercs because he has no other means to replenish his forces.

If he's been having trouble supplying ammo (at least if the recent issues we've read about were true and not purely theater, I think it was a mix myself) then I'm not sure what Wagner could offer recruits that the Russian Army couldn't at this point.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

StrangersInTheNight posted:

upset at not being the center of world conflict for the first time in 20 years, the US starts a with Switzerland to show them what's what and conquer their strategic chocolate stores.

with a heavy heart I enlist, knowing full well the delicious wonderland that awaits me if I survive

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

with a heavy heart I enlist, knowing full well the delicious wonderland that awaits me if I survive

paging toblerone triangular

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

If he's been having trouble supplying ammo (at least if the recent issues we've read about were true and not purely theater, I think it was a mix myself) then I'm not sure what Wagner could offer recruits that the Russian Army couldn't at this point.

In theory higher salaries, better training and equipment, compared to the regular Russian army. Less so now after they sustained heavy losses, have no more cannon fodder prisoners, and Russian regular army aren't supplying them so well any more, not to mention that Wagner sometimes just doesn't pay their mercs on time, figuring that they don't have to if they just die on the battlefield. As far as the ammo issues go, I think the complaints of Prigozhin mainly revolved around having to make do with just what the regular Russian army gets, rather than the unlimited pipeline they had before and first pick of the supplies.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

zone posted:

In theory higher salaries, better training and equipment, compared to the regular Russian army. Less so now after they sustained heavy losses, have no more cannon fodder prisoners, and Russian regular army aren't supplying them so well any more, not to mention that Wagner sometimes just doesn't pay their mercs on time, figuring that they don't have to if they just die on the battlefield. As far as the ammo issues go, I think the complaints of Prigozhin mainly revolved around having to make do with just what the regular Russian army gets, rather than the unlimited pipeline they had before and first pick of the supplies.

If I was actually well supplied and then dropped down to the mess the rest of the army gets I guess I'd complain too. We saw those reports recently that up to 50% of ammo is unusable once it reaches the front line for them

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

zone posted:

Sounds 100% believable, Wagner - even if you dont count prisoners - been getting ground up in Bakhmut for months now and trying to replace those losses becoming next to impossible.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

If I was actually well supplied and then dropped down to the mess the rest of the army gets I guess I'd complain too. We saw those reports recently that up to 50% of ammo is unusable once it reaches the front line for them

It was reported last month that Prigozhin was demanding up to three times the number of shells the whole of the Russian army was firing on the battlefield daily for his own use, if the Russian army wanted to have Bakhmut captured. He directly filed his demand to Gerasimov after he kept antagonizing him before, which probably didn't win him any goodwill.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

If there are any original Wagnerites alive they stayed that way by being in Syria or Africa.

Cursory Google says Wagner has 5,000 deployed in Africa so this tracks lol

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

PinheadSlim posted:

If there are any original Wagnerites alive they stayed that way by being in Syria or Africa.

Cursory Google says Wagner has 5,000 deployed in Africa so this tracks lol

If Wagner as an operationally effective force is taken off the table by getting liquidated in Bakhmut then that would be a strategic victory for Ukraine considering Wagner's role in the Russian military and state hierarchy and structure

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

HonorableTB posted:

If Wagner as an operationally effective force is taken off the table by getting liquidated in Bakhmut then that would be a strategic victory for Ukraine considering Wagner's role in the Russian military and state hierarchy and structure

I very legitimately would not be surprised if that were the case. Pre-invasion they did not have anywhere close to 50,000. They recruited them recently, and it's been a solid year of smashing their heads into Ukrainian defensive lines over and over and over and over again. Losing 40,000 recently recruited Russian mercenaries over 13 months including wounded/missing/captured seems pretty much within the realm of possibility, especially considering how much their leadership is openly making GBS threads their diapers on social media.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Today's published assessment by Ukrainian MoD. Heavy losses of artillery pieces reported yesterday.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Unwrapping my shiny new howitzer only to reveal a manufacturer's label - 'warning - not for use in wars' :grin:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

PinheadSlim posted:

I very legitimately would not be surprised if that were the case. Pre-invasion they did not have anywhere close to 50,000. They recruited them recently, and it's been a solid year of smashing their heads into Ukrainian defensive lines over and over and over and over again. Losing 40,000 recently recruited Russian mercenaries over 13 months including wounded/missing/captured seems pretty much within the realm of possibility, especially considering how much their leadership is openly making GBS threads their diapers on social media.

It's interesting, I wonder how much the US was able to help the Ukrainians as far as intelligence about Wagner went from the time in 2018 when the US Army erased 400 Wagnerites over the course of a night with repeated airstrikes from pretty much everything available in Syria.

Cuz most of those weapons that liquidated the Wagners in Syria that time are the same weapons that are doing it again in Ukraine right now. And the US had real world combat experience against a near peer enemy (Wagner was amusingly supposed to get artillery and air support in that battle and got neither because those assets were uniformed Russian military and Wagner was still firmly PMC, and Russia knew what would happen if they supported Wagner as requested) that was using all of the most modern Russian equipment at the time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1634845013879431170
Behold the mighty "armored" vehicles of the Russian army. Outdated garbage that's going to end up but target practice for modern IFVs and tanks sent to Ukraine.

This is the 103rd plant, the other 102 plants are making modern tanks

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Speaking of Syria, I remember reading a report about Russian air power in Syria. I can't seem to find it via Google but I remember it as a scathingly bad report about how few of their planes actually worked. If memory serves it was something like 90% of planes were constantly grounded and being maintained due to the harsh environment. At the time I wrote it off as NATO propaganda but now I'm really not so sure lol

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

CNN posted:

Russian air defenses shoot down four missiles over Belgorod, governor says

At least one person was injured in Russia’s southern Belgorod region bordering Ukraine after air defenses shot down four missiles Monday, Gov. Vyacheslav Gladkov said on his Telegram channel.

“Our air defense system was activated in Belgorod and Belgorod Oblast. Four missiles were shot down. The extent of damage on the ground is being clarified. One person is already known to be wounded,” the post read. “An ambulance team was dispatched on its way to the site. There is also damage from missile debris in two private homes.”

Gladkov made no mention of the source of the missiles.

Authorities in Belgorod, which borders Ukraine’s Kharkiv region, have reported multiple attacks since Russia began the full-scale invasion of its neighbor last year.

Ukraine has previously declined to comment on attacks inside Russia.

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-03-13-23/index.html

1. It would be really loving funny if all of those missiles were the same kind of rogue ones that keep turning around and plowing back into the ground as soon as they're launched that we've seen Russia use a few times

2. If it was Ukraine, what kind of long range missiles do they have that they could hit Belgorod with that aren't provided by the West? Because I am fairly certain any long range missiles going to Ukraine have that stipulation as #1 on them - Do Not Fire Into Russia - and I don't think Ukraine would ignore that. Did they have any remaining Tochka-Us or something?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

What actually baffled me re: Syria is why Russia decided a couple months ago to send so much equipment there for whatever reason. It was also stuff like EW systems, radar stations, air defense, etc. which by then the mobiks and milbloggers were already complaining of not having enough of on the front at all.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-03-13-23/index.html

1. It would be really loving funny if all of those missiles were the same kind of rogue ones that keep turning around and plowing back into the ground as soon as they're launched that we've seen Russia use a few times

2. If it was Ukraine, what kind of long range missiles do they have that they could hit Belgorod with that aren't provided by the West? Because I am fairly certain any long range missiles going to Ukraine have that stipulation as #1 on them - Do Not Fire Into Russia - and I don't think Ukraine would ignore that. Did they have any remaining Tochka-Us or something?

They have a small stock of Tochkas remaining that they occasionally use, but I have my doubts that it was actually missiles fired at them and it, as you said, seems more likely that these are failed launches from their own air defense systems.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

PinheadSlim posted:

Doubly so because they gladly paid out the life insurances of Jewish holocaust victims to the nazis after they murdered the policy holders. They can pretend to be neutral and above it all but their hands are bloody.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

PinheadSlim posted:

So if I sell weapons to your enemy, you may get angry with me, so I better not, and have good business relations with both.

Rather everyone should just buy what they will eventually need from me, before there is any conflict. That is, everyone should buy huge stockpiles of perishable product from me, before there is any need, in case they ever need it. This is good for me financially, and I get to keep my reputation as neutral.

Besides, this conflict does not really matter to me, because I am filthy stinking rich, and you are not, for the above reasons, go away please.

How did I do?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

I welcome anyone to correct me.

wagner was suppose to be a professional army, that hid behind the idea its a PMC. Vs the RA which would be more along the conscript model....

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ups_rail posted:

wagner was suppose to be a professional army, that hid behind the idea its a PMC. Vs the RA which would be more along the conscript model....

More like deniable forces for sketchy business operations and hype - which led to their use in Africa in the classic "foreign advisors" status and the massacre by american forces (when Russian command just pretended they did not know who they were).
In this war it is hard to make sense since there were news of planes and tanks assigned to Wagner units but it still comes down to infantry before anything else - so no, they are not and has not been a replacement for professional army.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The swiss government are being tiny bitch babies about this and claiming neutrality means you cant supply arms to anyone in a remotely contentious war, and I know the government statements have pissed off a lot of arms manufacturers worried about swiss arms being unreliable or second rate because of this.

With any luck this will kill their military sales becsuse normally they have no issue selling weapons to war criminals, despots and countries using them to commit human rights abuses. Its genuinely pathetic.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Karate Bastard posted:

How did I do?

Well enough that I'm having another drink I was going to have another one anyways :rubshands:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

zone posted:

What actually baffled me re: Syria is why Russia decided a couple months ago to send so much equipment there for whatever reason. It was also stuff like EW systems, radar stations, air defense, etc. which by then the mobiks and milbloggers were already complaining of not having enough of on the front at all.

My guess is that the skirmish between Wagener and US forces, however big or small it actually was, gave them the idea that if the West was going to go against Russia it would do so on every front, not just in Ukraine.

Unless there's more fighting going in Syria than before then I don't see any other reason to transfer any amount of advanced equipment.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Ups_rail posted:

Their main deal is being a deniable - but professional - arm for the Russian military.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

zone posted:

Their main deal is being a deniable - but professional - arm for the Russian military.

That ship has sailed though

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ups_rail posted:

Oh yeah I 100% believe that the 5,000-10,000 or so personnel they had before the start of the war were nothing but Russian army regulars or veterans.

I just think the 40,000 they've recreuited/possibly lost since then are Randoms that signed up for the fat pay and that contributed to their possible heavy losses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

PinheadSlim posted:

Oh yeah I 100% believe that the 5,000-10,000 or so personnel they had before the start of the war were nothing but Russian army regulars or veterans.

I just think the 40,000 they've recreuited/possibly lost since then are Randoms that signed up for the fat pay and that contributed to their possible heavy losses

Randoms and prisoners both. Recruitment was already beginning to falter from the prisons after they heard what was happening in the penal battalions.