Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Standard off-site CW apply to this article in the New York Post.

Russia loses 1,090 soldiers in reported deadliest day of war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Are the Ents on the march yet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

CommieGIR posted:

I think Xi is gonna play both sides of the fence here, I suspect he doesn't really want to align with a broken and slowly ground down Russia and see's a chance to gain from this.
Yes, I think the whole peace agreement is mostly to show China and Xi as reasonable international actors with a goal to gain influence elsewhere, they won't align with either side because they don't have to and nothing much will probably change.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It will be as much of a joke as China's peace plan was a few weeks ago.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I think Xi is gonna play both sides of the fence here, I suspect he doesn't really want to align with a broken and slowly ground down Russia and see's a chance to gain from this.

Yeah, my reading is the Pooh Bear is trying to boost China by acting as peacemaker, not tear down Ukraine. He'll be terrible at the job, but he mainly wants a seat at the table. Zelenski will diplomatically reject the nonsense that Xi brings to him but they both get their moment to say, "We're talking about peace!"

Xi coming out of the call going, "Ukraine is totally unreasonable for not letting Russia have a taste of their country and a time out to rebuild their military!" isn't a "loss" for Ukraine because nobody takes China seriously as a diplomatic force. The world will just laugh at this week's ineffectual temper tantrum from China and then move on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, my reading is the Pooh Bear is trying to boost China by acting as peacemaker, not tear down Ukraine. He'll be terrible at the job, but he mainly wants a seat at the table. Zelenski will diplomatically reject the nonsense that Xi brings to him but they both get their moment to say, "We're talking about peace!"

Xi coming out of the call going, "Ukraine is totally unreasonable for not letting Russia have a taste of their country and a time out to rebuild their military!" isn't a "loss" for Ukraine because nobody takes China seriously as a diplomatic force. The world will just laugh at this week's ineffectual temper tantrum from China and then move on.

I don't think Xi is that out of touch that'd he'd tout that absurd peace plan publicly, I suspect he's just going to frame it as an attempt to discuss the issues.

But who knows. I think Zelensky is also smart enough to not get into a conversation where Xi could tout that plan again.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Putin copped his way into being a defacto genocide and ethnic cleansing emperor, Xi merely politicked his way into it. Putin surely won't respect a guy who has all that power and doesn't abuse it to get a giant billion dollar vineyard mansion with a slot car track.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Well yes, to a point. In some situations. If my enemy has only small arms, then I'll be very happy in my T-62, but if they have any kind of anti-tank weaponry then I'm just presenting them with a very obvious and easy target.

Also I'd say that the Leopard 1A5s Ukraine is getting will probably be a lot more relevant than any "modernized" T-62s Russia rolls out. There's grift in the western MIC for sure, but the chances are pretty small that whatever general was placed in charge of modernizing the Leopards used the money to build himself a summer house and just glued on some cardboard to make it look like they were uparmored. Instead the tanks probably were modernized and have usable optics and other upgrade packages, and just cost way too much and the general got kickbacks and a cushy ceremonial position with a big paycheck from whoever made those packages.

Would I rather be in a Leopard 2A6? Absolutely. Would I be happier in a Leopard 1A5 than a modernized T-62? Yes 100%.

For sure. There's really no comparison. When it comes to protection, you may block a few more weapon types in a 62 than a Leopard 1, but a 1A5 is better than any iteration of a T-62 in nearly every other regard.

The T-62 may use a somewhat powerful smoothbore gun, but it doesn't use two-piece ammo, and the shells are something like a meter long. It also doesn't have a turret basket (does have a rotating floor), so the loader has to make some difficult movements just to get shells from main storage to either the gun or ready racks (62 doesn't use an autoloader). The main ammo storage is stored inside the frontal fuel tanks, the logic being that in event of penetration, the fuel could douse the ammunition. This is fine in theory, but in practice, any penetrator made after 1965 can light up the fuel/ammo boxes from the front, and even HESH has been known to do it, nevermind the ready racks that hang shells all over the inside of the turret.

The crew compartment is known to fill up with gases from the cannon and MG. There's a vent out the back to clear air from the compartment (literally just a hole) and toss out spent shells, but it can only do so much, so some crews in different parts of the world have been observed operating with the hatches open.

It's been a while since I've seen the upgraded electronics in a T-62M, but I remember them being pretty awful, if they're even going to go into these emergency models at all.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1635271875407368193

Just going to knock on the door of the Kremlin right?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Smoothbored Russian military intelligentsia

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1635270630617804801

My dear blogger, have you heard of portable generators or even diesel powered arc welders? None of your suggestions, nor your letting slip that this war has actually been prosecuted by Russia for eight years, are going to change how these shelters are set up under field conditions.

zone fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 13, 2023

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots
https://www.economist.com/europe/2023/03/12/how-ukraine-tamed-russian-missile-barrages-and-kept-the-lights-on

Here's an article about how the energy grid in Ukraine has been kept alive all this time despite the attacks. A lot of spares, as you'd expect, but some interesting details as well.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

For sure. There's really no comparison. When it comes to protection, you may block a few more weapon types in a 62 than a Leopard 1, but a 1A5 is better than any iteration of a T-62 in nearly every other regard.

The T-62 may use a somewhat powerful smoothbore gun, but it doesn't use two-piece ammo, and the shells are something like a meter long. It also doesn't have a turret basket (does have a rotating floor), so the loader has to make some difficult movements just to get shells from main storage to either the gun or ready racks (62 doesn't use an autoloader). The main ammo storage is stored inside the frontal fuel tanks, the logic being that in event of penetration, the fuel could douse the ammunition. This is fine in theory, but in practice, any penetrator made after 1965 can light up the fuel/ammo boxes from the front, and even HESH has been known to do it, nevermind the ready racks that hang shells all over the inside of the turret.

The crew compartment is known to fill up with gases from the cannon and MG. There's a vent out the back to clear air from the compartment (literally just a hole) and toss out spent shells, but it can only do so much, so some crews in different parts of the world have been observed operating with the hatches open.

It's been a while since I've seen the upgraded electronics in a T-62M, but I remember them being pretty awful, if they're even going to go into these emergency models at all.

Definitely. Plus survivability for a tank doesn't begin and end with eating a shot.

While the 1A5 is large (and therefore whatever it has going on in the "signature management" department isn't that awesome - also that size contributes to the crew comfort soft factors you pointed out), I understand it to have a big advantage in step 1, situational awareness.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Putin copped his way into being a defacto genocide and ethnic cleansing emperor, Xi merely politicked his way into it. Putin surely won't respect a guy who has all that power and doesn't abuse it to get a giant billion dollar vineyard mansion with a slot car track.

And mold problems. Don't forget the mold.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Karma Comedian posted:

And mold problems. Don't forget the mold.

That whole video is hilarious, in a sad and dystopian kind of way. Gotta have an indoor underground hockey rink. You know, for the people.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1635262000099098624
Bro you do realize that you'll soon have nothing left to prosecute this "special military operation" with any longer, right? Give up and go home and the tattered fragments of your army can still be used to defend your borders with. One more year and you won't even have this left.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1635262000099098624
Bro you do realize that you'll soon have nothing left to prosecute this "special military operation" with any longer, right? Give up and go home and the tattered fragments of your army can still be used to defend your borders with. One more year and you won't even have this left.

.....is this translated right? He's saying both: "We can have peace at any time, but our goals can only be achieved militarily"

Reads like he's drunk.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-12-2023
ISW assessment posted for March 12. One interesting quote from here is that apparently there are cases of desertion even from Spetsnaz units of both soldiers and officers.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1635259505008349186
Ammo shortages across the front have reached such levels now, that Wagners, never mind the unfortunate mobiks, hardly have enough ammo for their rifles. This milblogger is seething so hard about it he doesn't understand how this could be possible, citing sabotage as his belief why things are so dire. At least he understood the artillery shell shortage was because this bunch of idiots decided to fire off half of everything they had last year, while the other half got demilitarized by drones, artillery, and HIMARS. And finally he's so turned around he says he doesn't know what to do or who to approach to help remedy their circumstances. I'm thinking a golden opportunity is there to be had soon for Ukraine. :getin:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

freelop posted:

Pooh will probably push some peace plan that lets Russia keep territory they stole, Zelensky will reject it and Pooh will decry how he tried to push for peace but the war mongering west are pushing too hard to continue the war.

Or it's a heads up that China is planning on retaking those areas they renamed in Russia recently

Possibly the latter, but in a way that will make it sound like "Ukraine agreed to keep you busy/be a second front while we do this" even if Zelensky said otherwise.

I'd expect a prompt press release from UA over the contents of the call to keep any intentions from being twisted.

Tai posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1635271875407368193

Just going to knock on the door of the Kremlin right?

Can't really attend G-n summits if you get Hague'd the moment you land in another country. :shrug:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

And big birds

https://twitter.com/Dennisgonzo238/status/1633498963260088325

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

1050 Russians dead yesterday. Worst single day death toll of the war.

It's going to get higher. And the territorial gains are negligible at best

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

1050 Russians dead yesterday. Worst single day death toll of the war.

It's going to get higher. And the territorial gains are negligible at best

*at least (truthfully) reported, there might've been an even bloodier day back in 2022.

I also have no clue how Russia could, even hypothetically, turn things around and take something like 10 more towns and hold the territory thereof at this point with or without Bakhmut finally forfeited.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Apparently Ukraine is doing a counterattack near bakhmut. Not sure of displacement.

edit by Toxic Mental - Please be more judicious in your video posting. There's very clearly dead bodies in this one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 13, 2023

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'd delete that if I were you tbh

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

.....is this translated right? He's saying both: "We can have peace at any time, but our goals can only be achieved militarily"

Reads like he's drunk.

"We could stop and go home but then we wouldn't get our way"

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Yeah that's... a bit much.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1635304303442407425
We are winning so hard we chopped down trees in Moscow to accommodate air defense units that are sorely needed elsewhere on the front. :dumbrim:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
to be fair shoigu wanted to look at some of that wood

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

to be fair shoigu wanted to look at some of that wood

Shoigu doesn't even care for that kind of common wood mostly. He's interested in unusually shaped bits of fossilized wood or driftwood more than anything else. But you gotta admit, the man knows his way around a wood shop.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

do you think Shoigu, given enough time, could build a sort of... Spruce Goose of a tank as the next Tsar-series weapon

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Lmao the paranoia is real.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It's ok. Putin knows a guy with bins and bins of pinecones

zone
Dec 6, 2016

MrQwerty posted:

do you think Shoigu, given enough time, could build a sort of... Spruce Goose of a tank as the next Tsar-series weapon

IDK, his works tend toward the artistic rather than the practical. Given such a task, he'd probably pay someone else to do it.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

zone posted:

We are winning so hard we chopped down trees in Moscow to accommodate air defense units that are sorely needed elsewhere on the front. :dumbrim:

whew! at last Moscow is safe from the Tu-160s of the perfidious Ukrainians

UA did have some for a while but not for years

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

zone posted:

I am surprised they had to chop down some trees. Earlier someone posted air defense unit that was stationed between cranes in some Black Sea port.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

I am surprised they had to chop down some trees. Earlier someone posted air defense unit that was stationed between cranes in some Black Sea port.

They probably didn't have to chop down those trees, but someone figured out he could sell off the wood afterwards

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Eventually they'll chop down the cranes too

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Whats the chances the trees have been logged by a fraudulent logging company running off bribes to the kremlin and the aa equipment never arrives because its sols to wagnar?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The first part sounds great, the stuff about HATO mercs is pure hallucination

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1635333730393792538

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Power Khan posted:

The first part sounds great, the stuff about HATO mercs is pure hallucination

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1635333730393792538

If there's one thing Ukraine had no problem with it was numbers. What they need is more armor, armored vehicles, IFVs, MRAPs, everything. Even the shortage of equipment for foot soldiers early in the war is no longer an issue.