Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Are Ubisoft games not worth purchasing on steam ? Haven't been playing on PC for long but from what I read their launcher is horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The launcher is fine? It opens and then the game opens.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

My GOD!!! Is that THE SMURFS??? GRABBD!!!

lmao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tiny Timbs posted:

The launcher is fine? It opens and then the game opens.

Yeah, it's annoying - especially if you haven't played one of their games for a long time and you have to hunt up the login info you're suddenly being asked for after clicking play on Steam - but once you've taken care of that, it's just an (utterly redundant) extra step that you immediately forget about.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

fit em all up in there posted:

Are Ubisoft games not worth purchasing on steam ? Haven't been playing on PC for long but from what I read their launcher is horrible.

It's just an extra layer of launcher added on; it's gotten a bit better over the years when they discontinued UPlay and it became "UbiSoft Connect" but it can still be annoying when UC has an update that must be patched in and you have to re-enter your login stuff before you get to the games. I do genuinely like the cross-platform implementation and the way your UC achievements across all your Ubi games double as points that you spend on superfluous stuff like wallpapers and skins. They do some giveaways as well, like a free copy of Watch Dogs 2 in exchange for watching their E3 press conference or whatever it was.

I hated UPlay but put up with it. UC has become "good enough" that I don't consider it's mandatory use something that I have to "put up with" but YMMV. I've never actually bought anything through it, though. Just free redemptions like EGS.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I had no idea Uplay was "gone"! Guess that shows how long since I last played one of their games (AC Odyssey I think), which I guess was down to them putting Valhalla into Epic so that people forgot it existed.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Haven't done a review in a bit, right?

V Rising is a vampire themed survival game with basebuilding and isometric ARPG combat versus the environment and other players. Or so as the joke goes, "Valheim: The Requiem". I feel like if I was choosing between several games of this variety from scratch, this one would be my preferred choice, since it did feel like a fun time but 1) it took a little too long to get going relative to the type of game it is, 2) I already have 1-2 like it, and 3) it feels like it really wants you to have a friend to be worth your while for more than a cursory playsession. The sort of thing I'm content to return, but I could very easily see myself buying again if I found a group for it.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 12, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wot if Mario had a gun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncwtz7j5cZ0

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Yoshi's Safari gave him a bazooka.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Reminder that the Doom .wad Golden Souls 2 exists and may satisfy this unexpected craving.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

fit em all up in there posted:

It doesn't matter where you buy them, you need to go through their launcher no matter what.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Scalding Coffee posted:

Yoshi's Safari gave him a bazooka.

Mario + Rabbids implemented hand cannons (a la Mega Man) and like everything else in that game...it all somehow came together.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I started Zero Time Dilemma and am a couple hours in. This animation sucks rear end, and I'm not sold on the time jumping premise, but obviously the series has earned enough good will for a lot of play. That being said, I let out an audible OH poo poo when I tried to get Q to kill Q and was treated with "PLEASE INPUT Q'S NAME" rather than the "You cannot commit suicide" when you put "myself" Can't wait to see where that bullshit goes, haha.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Agent Escalus posted:

It's just an extra layer of launcher added on; it's gotten a bit better over the years when they discontinued UPlay and it became "UbiSoft Connect" but it can still be annoying when UC has an update that must be patched in and you have to re-enter your login stuff before you get to the games. I do genuinely like the cross-platform implementation and the way your UC achievements across all your Ubi games double as points that you spend on superfluous stuff like wallpapers and skins. They do some giveaways as well, like a free copy of Watch Dogs 2 in exchange for watching their E3 press conference or whatever it was.

I hated UPlay but put up with it. UC has become "good enough" that I don't consider it's mandatory use something that I have to "put up with" but YMMV. I've never actually bought anything through it, though. Just free redemptions like EGS.
Got it, never purchase anything by Ubisoft again. I have a Steam Deck, and I want to be able to play my games in offline mode on it. No thanks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Also no family sharing, on Steam or their client.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Commander Keene posted:

Got it, never purchase anything by Ubisoft again. I have a Steam Deck, and I want to be able to play my games in offline mode on it. No thanks.
You should still be able to play them in offline mode. What was it about that post that indicated otherwise?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jossar posted:

Haven't done a review in a bit, right?

V Rising is a vampire themed survival game with basebuilding and isometric ARPG combat versus the environment and other players. Or so as the joke goes, "Valheim: The Requiem". I feel like if I was choosing between several games of this variety from scratch, this one would be my preferred choice, since it did feel like a fun time but 1) it took a little too long to get going relative to the type of game it is, 2) I already have 1-2 like it, and 3) it feels like it really wants you to have a friend to be worth your while for more than a cursory playsession. The sort of thing I'm content to return, but I could very easily see myself buying again if I found a group for it.

There is a lot to say about this game but the one thing I'll add is that the feel of the combat is really interesting, and despite the perspective it isn't a "kill hordes of enemies" thing like Diablo. The devs came from a MOBA background and it shows, there are a lot of aimed abilities and dodges etc. that you need to actively engage with in combat, even in PVE against NPCs. That aspect is pretty cool and isn't really anything I've seen replicated in other games.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Commander Keene posted:

I've heard rumblings that you can make your Steam Deck play your games from GOG and EGS so I'm sure there's a workaround for UC. Either that or Ubi better get on with SD verification or support on their end; I'm pretty sure that like PSVR that hardware sold beyond expectations and hit sales targets far sooner than predicted, ergo there shall be doubling-down on the next iterations. And Ubi needs its franchises onto as many platforms as they can to recoup all those escalating production costs - lord knows AAA open-world collect-a-thons can't be reined in at this point! $200+ mil spending ahoy!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://gamerant.com/ubisoft-games-steam-deck-fix/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

wow lucky steamdeck owners

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Volte posted:

You should still be able to play them in offline mode. What was it about that post that indicated otherwise?
The fact that you have to log in to a (presumably) online service to play them?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

goferchan posted:

There is a lot to say about this game but the one thing I'll add is that the feel of the combat is really interesting, and despite the perspective it isn't a "kill hordes of enemies" thing like Diablo. The devs came from a MOBA background and it shows, there are a lot of aimed abilities and dodges etc. that you need to actively engage with in combat, even in PVE against NPCs. That aspect is pretty cool and isn't really anything I've seen replicated in other games.

For anyone interested in V Rising, I made a pretty informative OP last year about it - not much has changed since that thread was posted, but there's a major patch coming in May that's adding an entire new area, revamping a lot of the building mechanics, adding news weapons/spells/bosses, and some other QoL stuff:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4003177

And just a side note, while it's technically true Stunlock Studios has made "MOBAs", I'll comment that they aren't what you'd typically associate with the term (no creeps/npcs/shops/bases, just 3v3 team fights that last a minute or two), probably most importantly with regard to the controls since they use WASD for movement and skillshot abilities near-exclusively. This is also the case of V Rising and a big part of what drew me to the game since I absolutely hate click-to-move games almost as a rule.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Commander Keene posted:

The fact that you have to log in to a (presumably) online service to play them?

you have to log into steam too but it works offline
they work the same way as the steam launcher

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you have to log into steam too but it works offline
they work the same way as the steam launcher

Steam is a 'necessary evil' of DRM, with the whole purchasing digital goods and the like. Some purchases come lacking DRM and can even be launched without steam at all! People with Steam accounts generally have dozens to hundreds of titles under it.

Individual publisher launchers generally add no value in a product that couldn't be done in-game (eg patching), and more importantly typically have only a single title (or maybe a small few, for a dedicated fan) working under that launcher.

People really don't like to have to sign up for a new account every few seconds. The superfluous launchers are antagonistic. An excellent example would be the Bioshock Infinite launcher.

tl;dr: Don't piss on someone's leg and tell them it's raining.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
steam is not a necessary evil, gog exists and is quite successfull selling nothing but drm-free games

you're right that extra launchers are annoying and stupid but also people get way more mad about them than they actually should be considering it's like one stupid extra window you see for 2 seconds before playing a game like normal for an hour
if a game is the same price in two places ill buy it on steam sure but if isthereanydeal says it's $5 less on the ea store, who cares, i'm not paying $5 extra to have the desktop icon i click to launch a game go through the steam launcher instead of the ea one

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 13, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Fair enough, the market has moved on and shown that DRM-free stores are practical. Still doesn't excuse making things worse just for the sake of it to display ads; however unnecessary Steam's popup is, those publisher-specific launchers are orders of magnitudes less justified.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I'm just mad I can't play Mass Effect Legendary Edition at work. You have to be online every time you boot up the game to log into their launcher and it's annoying as hell.

Edit: this isn't the Steam Deck thread lol

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The one launcher that annoys the hell out of me is Rockstar's, it's 100% awful and made me stop playing GTA V on PC entirely.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chucklefish announced a sequel to Wargroove, which will be developed by Robotality (Halfway, Pathway)

Tower Unite, which apparently added Libretro support at some point for their arcade (maybe it was there all along and I never noticed?) added lightgun support, and a fake dualscreen console for plugging in DS/3DS emulation.

Steam put up a recap for last month's Next Fest: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/nextrecap_feb23

The top 10 wishlisted demos: Dark & Darker, Voidtrain, Darkest Dungeon 2, Infection Free Zone, Broken Arrow, Sons of Valhalla, Fabledom, Plan B: Terraform, Wandering Sword, Ravenbound
Top 10 most played demos: Dark & Darker, Voidtrain, Infection Free Zone, Boundary, Broken Arrow, Hero's Adventure, Wandering Sword, Ravenbound, Darkest Dungeon 2, Plan B: Terraform

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Which Rune Factory game is better if you have never played any of them, since they are on sale for a similar price?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zathril posted:

Which Rune Factory game is better if you have never played any of them, since they are on sale for a similar price?

Go with 4. 5 was a little under baked as it moved into 3D.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Definitely go with 4.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Now that I finally have a computer which can run it, I'm inclined to pick up Deathloop while it's on sale ($26.39 CDN). The questions are then, regular or deluxe edition ($36.29 CDN), and/or should I get the full Original Game Soundtrack ($6.74 CDN).

I don't know if the "invasion" where other players pop in to go after you, so the Deluxe Edition skins probably don't make sense as an incentive. Are the weapons listed just skins for base-game weapons? Are the special trinkets useful, or just gimmicky?

Okay, after looking around a bit, I'll probably pass on the Deluxe, it doesn't seem to offer much that doesn't come with the base game. I don't need weapons skins and costumes in a first-person game that badly.

(If the game is trash, this is also your chance to warn me off.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 13, 2023

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
As someone who really really likes Arkane, Deathloop is a really fun idea that fails in execution in my opinion.

It's like the opposite of Dishonored and Prey in that instead of blossoming into a variety of approaches and paths as the game goes on, you're narrowing your paths until you find one that works.

The invasions were a way to keep everything from being the same run-to-run and it is cool, but not cool enough to save it.

Some people really like it! I felt it had nothing in there that I typically enjoy out of Arkane games.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 13, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Get Gamepass for a month and play Deathloop there imo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deathloop's original idea, the one they were testing with Mooncrash was pretty clever, but then the people making Mooncrash never ended up actually talking to people making Deathloop so they completely fumbled the execution making a Dishonored 0.5: Majora's Mask instead.
It's really meh and basically seals that death of that studio in my eyes.

Redfall being a loving coop schlooter doesn't help that assessment either.

Weird West, made by ex-Arkane people, was much better at carrying on the spirit of the Looking Glass, even though it was over-ambitious for it's budget.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
EDIT: Oh, apparently the Deathloop Deluxe Edition trinkets are random from the base trinkets? That and reading some of the reviews and forum posts makes me less inclined to go Deluxe. Okay, that's good. Might get the full OST, though.

Nancy posted:

As someone who really really likes Arkane, Deathloop is a really fun idea that fails in execution in my opinion.

It's like the opposite of Dishonored and Prey in that instead of blossoming into a variety of approaches and paths as the game goes on, you're narrowing your paths until you find one that works.

From what I recall of the trailers and the premise, isn't that idea explicitly stated? X targets, got to get them all in one day?

I played Mooncrash for a bit, and got the main "story" achievements for it, but if I recall, it didn't "click" with me as much as the main game, for some reason. "Not the same as Mooncrash" doesn't necessarily mean that I'd dislike it more. (To be fair, it not being the same as Mooncrash doesn't mean I'd like it better, though.)

explosivo posted:

Get Gamepass for a month and play Deathloop there imo

Nah. ESPECIALLY given my character flaw of playing a game for a month, getting really close to the end and then getting distracted and not quite finishing it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 13, 2023

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Now that I finally have a computer which can run it, I'm inclined to pick up Deathloop while it's on sale ($26.39 CDN). The questions are then, regular or deluxe edition ($36.29 CDN), and/or should I get the full Original Game Soundtrack ($6.74 CDN).

I don't know if the "invasion" where other players pop in to go after you, so the Deluxe Edition skins probably don't make sense as an incentive. Are the weapons listed just skins for base-game weapons? Are the special trinkets useful, or just gimmicky?

(If the game is trash, this is also your chance to warn me off.)

I'd just go with the normal edition, finding good trinkets is easy enough in the game without you starting super-OP. Deathloop is a pretty linear "Bioshock-like" with some greater freedom to do side things if you're so inclined, I enjoyed it overall.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skip deluxe, and you are correct that skins don't matter with online invasions disabled. I suggest playing without online invasions anyway so you have free license to goof around with fun abilities and perks instead of needing to worry about getting erased by a player julianna because you weren't optimal. very fun game if you treat it like dishonored high chaos except no one gets mad at you for killing everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

EDIT: Oh, apparently the Deathloop Deluxe Edition trinkets are random from the base trinkets? That and reading some of the reviews and forum posts makes me less inclined to go Deluxe. Okay, that's good. Might get the full OST, though.

From what I recall of the trailers and the premise, isn't that idea explicitly stated? X targets, got to get them all in one day?

That is the stated point of Deathloop, yeah, and it's fine in concept, I just don't like the execution. Deathloop and Mooncrash are similar, but instead of Mooncrash's random elements and increasing difficulty Deathloop tries invasions, so depending on what you did or didn't like about Mooncrash it may click with you.

For what it's worth I halfway enjoyed Mooncrash and didn't really enjoy Deathloop. Most fun I had with Deathloop was probably on the invading side.