Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

how about that Detective Pikachu movie

i watched it in theater while blasted with my roommates in college and that's probably the best way to enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

anyhow to keep in the spirit of the thread i looked thru the upcoming spring stuff and Edomae Elf & Kawaisugi Crisis caught my eye+Rokudo's Bad Girls seeming generic as hell but with a dope style so maybe. might binge Birdie Wing in time for s2 too, dunno

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mewtwo_(M16)

Genesect: The Legend Awakened. It's Mewtwo but like another one.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i watched detective pikachu out of morbid curiosity with zero expectations and it was just an okay summer movie that felt a little half-baked in spots. i honestly expected a lot worse.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mewtwo_(M16)

Genesect: The Legend Awakened. It's Mewtwo but like another one.

what the

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

quote:

In Genesect and the Legend Awakened, Mewtwo was having a flying race with several bird Pokémon, and went on to challenge its own powers by Mega Evolving and speeding as high as it could go, until it reached the edge of space. Feeling that it could not stay at this hostile environment, it let itself fall down, until it heard a telepathic voice, asking to get back home. It went towards the source of the voice, and found the Genesect Army at a snowy mountain area.

an AI made this loving movie

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah no they were really phoning these fuckers in for a while

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the best thing about genesect is the card where it breakdances for a smeargle

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah no they were really phoning these fuckers in for a while
I mean, The Land Before Time went from a coming of age story about finding community through hardship to...The Land Before Time: Littlefoot's Dad Comes Home From Buying Milk.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

I mean, The Land Before Time went from a coming of age story about finding community through hardship to...The Land Before Time: Littlefoot's Dad Comes Home From Buying Milk.

In the tenth movie, a big part of the plot is the dinosaurs think the sun is going to fall out of the sky, which is actually a solar eclipse, and the climax has all the long necks stretching out their necks to push the sun back into the sky, but the viewers know what an eclipse is and that there are actually no stakes but the scene is still presented as if there are.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the dinosaurs don't know what an eclipse is, therefore the stakes are relative. topic locked

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rugrats-rear end drama

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
only ever watched the first movie, and wow, even as a 6 year old, i was like 'some heavy stuff is going on in this movie'

never watched the other stuff, think it was for the better. keep it at its peak

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i dont even remember which ones of those i watched. at least two. the only one i remember was that island one with the big big big big water song. thank you, good night

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GateOfD posted:

only ever watched the first movie, and wow, even as a 6 year old, i was like 'some heavy stuff is going on in this movie'
Oh yeah, An American Tail is also pretty :catstare: when it comes to Heavy poo poo.

I watched Little Mermaid in theaters as a kid and was on the edge of my seat through the finale. With Land Before Time I was scrunched waaaaay back because everything going on was just so grand. Honestly, that same wonder is probably why I gravitated to more anime films as they became available. I watch a lot of trash because hey life sucks, but something like Grave of the Fireflies is a film-viewing experience that stays with you.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 13, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first movie rules

it explains so much about it that the writer deliberately wrote it during the porygon controversy because he knew that was an open window to write whatever he wanted, and also he heard mewtwo's va was going to be the same guy who was famous in japan for voicing the phantom of the opera so he literally just wrote mewtwo as the phantom of the opera and the va read a few lines of the script, turned to him and said "this guy is the phantom of the opera." and the writer nodded with a grin

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly mewtwo strikes back might be like. the rare case where production issues actually helped it. cause it was meant to follow up an episode of the anime where ash would actually meet and fight mewtwo, but since that never happened it got rewritten to be about mewtwo's anger at humanity for creating him. which ends up being a way weirder and cooler motivation and makes the whole movie more interesting for how ash isn't even that important for most of it and only becomes important because of how hard he throws himself into the main conflict

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Colonel posted:

the first movie rules

it explains so much about it that the writer deliberately wrote it during the porygon controversy because he knew that was an open window to write whatever he wanted, and also he heard mewtwo's va was going to be the same guy who was famous in japan for voicing the phantom of the opera so he literally just wrote mewtwo as the phantom of the opera and the va read a few lines of the script, turned to him and said "this guy is the phantom of the opera." and the writer nodded with a grin

lmao that kicks rear end

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i know some definitely cried a bit when Ash fake-died in the first movie

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GateOfD posted:

i know some definitely cried a bit when Ash fake-died in the first movie
I went to watch it opening night with my high school girlfriend and her big brother who was a huge card game collector, and who routinely trounced me in Red/Blue during study breaks.

I will never forget going from 300 kids screaming 'PIKACHUUUU!' during the cute pre-show animation to the silence, questions and sobbing when Ash gets turned to stone.

Watching a whole generation have their own Artax moment was something else.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm honestly more wondering how they're going to replace Jessie and James, the true heart of the show.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I remember the whole point of The Land Before Time is that it's taking place while the Dinosaurs are going extinct and the world is dying and unable to support life, and thus the cast is on a big epic quest to make it to essentially the Hidden Dino-Promised land where they won't go extinct (And then parents can lean over to their kids and tell them this means maybe they can find this hidden valley and be friends with the totally still alive Dinos). Then in the sequels everything is fine. The world outside the valley is perfectly fine. They go outside it all the time and there are plants and everything.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I had no idea Insomniacs was this season - the manga is great, so hopefully the show is a good adaptation, though I probably won't watch it just because I have a pretty good idea where it will stop and the manga scans are much further along.

Looking forward to Skip and Loafer as well.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

GateOfD posted:

how about that Detective Pikachu movie

Sucks.

Koko and Power of Us are the best movies, handily, but the Hoopa, Keldeo, Volcanion and Deoxys ones are all p good. First Movie dubbed is a(n only slightly cringy) nostalgia classic, 2000 blows.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 13, 2023

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i think lucario and the mystery of mew is pretty good. i wouldn't exactly call it 'underrated' because it's one of the only ones after the first ~3 that people mention positively ever but i think it's significantly better than those, so it deserves it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The one where Pikachu talked was weird.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Waffleman_ posted:

Wasn't there one where Mewtwo was in it but it was like

a different Mewtwo somehow

and it was a girl

I think it was a dead girl that her father was trying to revive via creating some sort of human/mew hybrid.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 13, 2023

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Tree Goat posted:

the concept of “two people who are clearly both in love with each other and spend all of their time together but never work up the courage/self-actualization/articulation to actually date” is of course a precarious one to hang at the center of a long-running series. progress is both required (to move things along/develop characters/stave off frustration or impatience) but also is by no means allowed (since it will unravel the central conceit if allowed to progress too far). status quo must be restored, undermined by some new misunderstanding or accident, or, at least, this new understanding must be tacit but never foregrounded.

the actual moment of consummation (or, the demure shonen/shoujo equivalent, the confession) is therefore treated as forbidden, an unavoidable excess, yet also the articulated object of desire for both the readers and the characters. this jouissance, or surplus enjoyment, "overruns" "the principle of the least tension, of the minimum tension that needs to be maintained for life to subsist." (seminar xvii). this is why so many "will they/won't they" romances destroy themselves once they resolve this tension (the tv show "moonlighting" is the stereotypical example here). yet the "holding pattern" is likewise an intolerable, unsustainable force, especially as the series drags on over the course of years.

there are several solutions to this dilemma, employed with various degrees of success. for instance, one can hope that there are enough other characters to cushion the blow of the loss of the central characters and their pairing as a narrative force (either with or without resolution, or hope of resolution, of the central pairing: kaguya and nozaki-kun i view as examples of these options, respectively), or one can introduce new potential love interests that the characters are permitted (or forced) to choose between, or simply end the series at the confession with perhaps a brief epilogue, etc. etc.

takagi-san provides an interesting solution in that the creator made a spin-off series in which the central pair are married and with a child. this (temporarily, at least) sidesteps the issue that the "satisfying" culmination of desire is both not permitted and fatal to depict: we are assured that it happened at some point in the future of the series (so there's no need to complain about a "lack of progress") but we are (as far as i know) not witness to it: it can therefore have whatever qualities the reader wishes to ascribe to it, without the burden of being realized or realizable.

but i'd argue the most successful resolution of this style of plot (and the most straightforward line to the notion of the objet petit a) is don quixote: his beloved dulcinea does not (strictly speaking) exist, except as a delusional projection onto another. even if she did exist, the strictures of courtly love would make any consummation or resolution of any sort impossible: per capellanus, "when made public, love rarely endures". quixote is therefore motivated by this love to drive forward and progress, but the notion of a romantic resolution is an impossibility, and so the reader has no expectations or dissatisfaction.

i therefore argue that the ideal form of the "girl teases/bothers her oblivious crush because they are both in love but don't know how to express it" plot would be one where the teaser does not literally exist, or exists only in the symbolic order. a nagatoro where it is a fisherman constantly chastised by the mercurial sea, say, or a shut-in drawn out by the needling, uzaki-like demands of a proletarian revolution.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would unironically watch a show where the oblivious everyman MC-kun gets harassed by the imaginary voice of a cockteasing love interest into start a revolution.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 13, 2023

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Tree Goat knows what they're talking about.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/hyakkano_anime/status/1635294647395184640?s=20

A hundred girlfriends?!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And they all really, really, really, really, really love you!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

First Komi gets 100 friends, now harem boy gets 100 girlfriends.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Waffleman_ posted:

A hundred girlfriends?!
oohhhhhhhh it's by the studio who did quints s2 and the movie

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Coaaab posted:

oohhhhhhhh it's by the studio who did quints s2 and the movie

Only twenty times as many girlfriends, then? Easy.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I thought that was a pretty clear ending, but apparently To Your Eternity is getting a third season. I mean, I guess they could do pretty much anything at this point.

Julias posted:

We've still got a couple of weeks before Spring season is here, but it can't hurt to look at what's coming out and to get some thread title recommendations based on them.

https://anichart.net/Spring-2023

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2023/spring

Uh... Looking forward to Dr Stone and Mahoyome, I guess

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

lol.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Brutal Garcon posted:

I thought that was a pretty clear ending, but apparently To Your Eternity is getting a third season. I mean, I guess they could do pretty much anything at this point.

You thought 200 years of existence was enough for something called To Your Eternity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i don't know where season 2 ended, but i stopped the manga after a certain point where after it reached a certain era.