Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Kibner posted:

Also, needs a stand if you don't want it to fall over at the slightest breeze or actually be able to pose it.

The RG zaku II's wait armor panels also pop off really easily. Its a nice looking kit with a lot of detail but its a pain to pose or even move slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I ended up gluing the side skirts on yhe RG Zaku. They're actually on a hinge that can move side to side as well as up and down, so gluing them to the hinge was a good call.

The front skirts are a lost cause. If I had a tiny enough drill I'd like to modify them with a little copper rod and just permanently stick the skirts to the crotch plate.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

CommunityEdition posted:

It’s available through Amazon too: https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Shine-Multi-Surface-Finish-Polish/dp/B007TSJLCE/

On a related note, what’s the best way to remove Quick Shine from plastic, and how thick of a coat are you supposed to give varnish, anyways?

Windex

Buy a huge jug of it at costco or something. It's cheaper than rubbing alcohol. As a side note it's also fantastic at cleaning your brush/airbrushes of tamiya acrylics but is useless for vallejo.

I generally do one quick pass. Too much and I find it hard . If you are starting out, you may want to do two really light coats as you get used to it.

The biggest problem is that you have to move fast and not let it pool. It can be tough to tell when you're doing it, but then you'' notice it later pooling at the edges.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Got a pair of of the MicroMark single bladed nippers and they don't necessarily seem too much sharper than the Tamiya sharp-pointed double I was using but now I can do the cute move where I can occasionally cut almost completely flush to the part if the nub is positioned on a flat edge of the part in such a way that I can get the dull side of the nippers on the edge. Still getting used to it and I've accidentally cut too close and shaved some plastic along with the nub a few times when doing this, ugh. In general even with the exacto knife cleanup sometimes I go too far and wind up digging into the part as well- gotta accept that if I want like perfect nub removal I'm gonna have to start sanding/glass filing everything I guess.

Anyone have any experience with like the Raser or Siren files?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Raser files are fine. You can also pick up any old glass file in the beauty section of a store and get much the same experience as the specialized hobby glass files. Benefits to the specialized version are basically just the sizes they come in, iirc.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I have a Gunprimer Raser and it's an incredible file that basically erases gates flawlessly but yeah I'm not gonna pretend it's unbeatable special technology or anything. You can probably get one like 75% as good for a third the price from Amazon or any good-quality beautician supplier.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
The biggest thing I found with other glass files compared to the Raser is with the other glass files I had to clean them constantly to keep them ungunked. With the Raser I just run it over a hard brush every few pieces.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Just started my MG Epyon, and I snipped a little nub on top of the cockpit which wasn’t supposed to be shipped. I’m pretty sure doesn’t attach to anything, and I don’t think you can actually see the cockpit without disassembling the thing.

But still, feels bad man.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 13, 2023

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

RillAkBea posted:

Any of the MG Zaku IIs after the 2.0 upgrade are solid kits though the pipes are infamous.

Infamous, but undeserved. Just put your fingers behind the bead and push. Or do two at once. Use pliers if you have dainty fingers. I think people just have problems from trying to squeeze it between their fingers and pull.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Skrillmub posted:

You can glue those pieces onto the face, but you're never going to get full jaw motion.

I very much recommend watching a few Youtube videos on how to remove gates. You are leaving a whole bunch of little pieces on the parts that are making things not fit together and just generally look awful.
Are those metal snips what you're using? Stop doing that and buy plastic cutters and either a hobby knife or sanding sponges.

This is just a chin cover. The jaw should still work. The green part is what moves.

I used those diagonal cutters as this is my first build. The girl I was with did get me a pair of actual hobby cutters to use. I have also been using a file but apparently I have not done a good enough job.

Nerobro posted:

Speaking of single blade. $22 gets you in the door there. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JYPFRQ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ANSAI MS-065

I thought about getting something like this but I am not sure if I enjoy this hobby. I have been putting this to the side and with the chin breaking it really punched my gut.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RG Eva as a first build?

Yeah, I can see why that would be frustrating. Especially with poorly suited tools.

Most people start with HGs or EGs. RGs are much fiddlier.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, I can see why that would be frustrating. Especially with poorly suited tools.

:nallears: The guy at the hobby store I was asking about tools and I just went to a harbor freight and had to fend for myself. So scuse me for that I guess.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Katamari Democracy posted:

:nallears: The guy at the hobby store I was asking about tools and I just went to a harbor freight and had to fend for myself. So scuse me for that I guess.

I wasn't criticizing you, or at least I didn't mean to. I used toenail clippers and scissors when I was first building kits, so I have no high ground here.

It's just that when the tools you have at hand leave more residue, it can make dealing with the smaller parts of RGs much more frustrating.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ugh. Sounds like a dodgy hobby store to me. Sorry you got chucked into the deep end without any guidance.

The hobby can be as much or as little as you want to make of it, and your first attempts are going to come out fucky no matter how hard you try and at what level you start because to get good at something you gotta start by sucking a bit at something. See also me complaining about panel lining and gloss thickness a few posts back.

The good news about tools is that you can't swing a hacked-up plammo on Amazon without running into a cheap tool kit that is good enough to get started with on the cheap, and pretty much ANY of these will beat the hell out of whatever Harbor Freight special you might find.

This will do the job. Are the nippers anything to write home about? No--I have the same pair and they're my 'junk' nippers because I'm addicted to spending money and have a pair of God Hand nippers for actual work. But for :10bux: you get some mediocre nippers, a knife, a file, and some emory boards. Which will get you pretty drat far for the price of a SomethingAwful account.

From there you can decide how far (or not) you want to take the hobby. Do you want to go all in and spend hundreds on all of the tools and go deep on painting, sanding, modding, etc? Or do you want to take it easy and maybe step up to gloss coating, panel lining, and decals? It's entirely up to you.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Like I said a few posts back the woman I was with did get me some better hobby nippers (Godhand) and she offered to buy me a new one. But its just the chin that got hosed up.

But looking at this more. I am still not sure if this is a hobby I would pursue in the future for this exact reason. I just wanted to give this an honest try to take a break from dancing games and whatnot. This seemed right up my alley until I actually got this kit and started building it.

But I think I bit off way too much than I can chew and with the gut punch on the chin / feedback from tools I own. Maybe this isn't something I need to jump to for right now and find a new avenue.

Appreciate the feedback. Maybe if I can figure out a way to salvage the chin / tongue I might get the spark back. But I am just devastated by all of this.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Kibner posted:

Raser files are fine. You can also pick up any old glass file in the beauty section of a store and get much the same experience as the specialized hobby glass files. Benefits to the specialized version are basically just the sizes they come in, iirc.

Can you use just a glass file exclusively or are they more analogous to a like lower grit sanding stick or metal file or something?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Like I said a few posts back the woman I was with did get me some better hobby nippers (Godhand) and she offered to buy me a new one. But its just the chin that got hosed up.

But looking at this more. I am still not sure if this is a hobby I would pursue in the future for this exact reason. I just wanted to give this an honest try to take a break from dancing games and whatnot. This seemed right up my alley until I actually got this kit and started building it.

But I think I bit off way too much than I can chew and with the gut punch on the chin / feedback from tools I own. Maybe this isn't something I need to jump to for right now and find a new avenue.

Appreciate the feedback. Maybe if I can figure out a way to salvage the chin / tongue I might get the spark back. But I am just devastated by all of this.

Stepping a way for a bit to get your head in order is a good idea too. I know that if I've been working on something too long, for example, and I'm starting to get frustrated or impatient, I'll absolutely gently caress something up. If you don't want to work on something, don't force yourself. The fastest way to kill enjoyment of something is making it mandatory.

I'd also maybe consider trying a HG kit or the equivalent of something you like. Were there any other kits besides the EVA that you were interested in?

edit: Just because, I'm in a bit of a similar spot with my Unit 5 and Unit 4 kits I'm working on. One of the shoulder clips that holds the [bst] shoulder pieces on fell off my desk and I didn't notice for a few hours when I discovered it was missing and found the crushed pieces under my chair--it had rolled over it and I never noticed. It wrecked me because these are limited-run P-Bandai kits and I have no idea what getting a replacement would be like, if that's even possible. I decided to go all in on getting some silicone molding tools to make a copy of the part, but I was also planning to get into casting my own pieces soon anyway. It broke into 4 pieces, and I could only find three of them.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 14, 2023

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Warmachine posted:

I'd also maybe consider trying a HG kit or the equivalent of something you like. Were there any other kits besides the EVA that you were interested in?

I thought about MG REX for a little bit but some goons in my discord have kind of waned me from attempting it based on the feedback and feelings I have gotten in this thread. Maybe its my depression but I can not imagine dropping 100 bucks on something only to have one piece get hosed up from something I accidently did.

Also, I am not really a big anime person. Most of the Gunpla stuff in my local shops have a shitload of Gundam. I know its sacrilege to perhaps not getting into Gunpla and not knowing a drat thing about Gundam. But at least I was familiar with Evangelion. I am open to suggestions.

Warmachine posted:

Stepping a way for a bit to get your head in order is a good idea too. I know that if I've been working on something too long, for example, and I'm starting to get frustrated or impatient, I'll absolutely gently caress something up. If you don't want to work on something, don't force yourself. The fastest way to kill enjoyment of something is making it mandatory.

What is really loving me up is that -- and forgive me if I am reading this incorrectly but the instructions have some dire warnings about cutting off specific areas that could be mistaken for...flashing? Is that what that is called? I know once (if) I get this thing finished I can get a hobby knife to clean it up a little bit but the instructions got me fuckin paranoid when it comes to this kit specifically.

But I also do not want to keep waking up for work and seeing this unfinished project on my table. Its been about a few days since I last picked this up because again -- that chin and tongue not working out for the model really hurt my feelings on building it. The Leg, torso, and head were all straight forward. It just took me forever because my hands are large as hell.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I thought about MG REX for a little bit but some goons in my discord have kind of waned me from attempting it based on the feedback and feelings I have gotten in this thread. Maybe its my depression but I can not imagine dropping 100 bucks on something only to have one piece get hosed up from something I accidently did.

Also, I am not really a big anime person. Most of the Gunpla stuff in my local shops have a shitload of Gundam. I know its sacrilege to perhaps not getting into Gunpla and not knowing a drat thing about Gundam. But at least I was familiar with Evangelion. I am open to suggestions.

Well, if you're not into Gundam (I actually started watching Gundam to see if a model kit I'd picked up was from a good show) there's still some variety. For Bandai, there's a lot of Star Wars kits if you like those, a couple of Batmobiles, Buzz Lightyear and Woody from Toy Story, Ultraman and Kamen Rider, the lovely Pacific Rim sequel, Sakura Wars, and Super Robot Wars.

Any of that sound interesting?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Monkey Fracas posted:

Can you use just a glass file exclusively or are they more analogous to a like lower grit sanding stick or metal file or something?
They tend to be very high grit actually. I use the Siren from Dspiae which is rated as 10k-12k grit and pretty cheap. It does file down nubs pretty fast and comfortably on most pieces but isn't perfect for very small or angular shapes due to the size/shape. It's the same with sanding sticks though. Also I finish with a 2.5k grit sponge to have an even look with the factory finish for most plastics because sanding further with the file after you got the nub cleaned will result in a very glossy/shiny surface. Sometimes I have to clean some glossy marks with a rougher grit before I finish but that's mostly due to experience with the tool I think.

Glass files mostly offer the advantage that they won't wear out like regular sanding tools which saves you money in the long run. Also since they are way harder than the plastic you'll be able to sand faster and with less pressure. I guess it's a bit up to preference but after giving it a try I've settled on using it as the main sanding tool for most pieces with sponges for the finish. The only downside I found is that I have to clean it after every few pieces since the plastic shavings stick to the grit but a few swipes with an old toothbrush is all I ever need for that. Wetting it before sanding may also make handling that a bit easier but I haven't really tried as of yet.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

chiasaur11 posted:

Any of that sound interesting?

Im not trying to shoot you down. And I know you are trying to help but sadly no.

I know my dad built me a shitload of Zoids when I was younger. And doing a google search I hear that is coming back. I might try getting into that for my midlife crisis.

I was also looking into tank building but I got too chickenshit buying a kit because the guy who was there said its really for more patience and for advanced builders and painters.

Maybe what I will do is find a step lower grade Gundam gunpla and just go from there. Red and Black being my favorite colors, and with big guns. Yeah!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

What is really loving me up is that -- and forgive me if I am reading this incorrectly but the instructions have some dire warnings about cutting off specific areas that could be mistaken for...flashing? Is that what that is called? I know once (if) I get this thing finished I can get a hobby knife to clean it up a little bit but the instructions got me fuckin paranoid when it comes to this kit specifically.

But I also do not want to keep waking up for work and seeing this unfinished project on my table. Its been about a few days since I last picked this up because again -- that chin and tongue not working out for the model really hurt my feelings on building it. The Leg, torso, and head were all straight forward. It just took me forever because my hands are large as hell.

Same about the hands. I'm an arch-goon body type and my fingers are basically sausages. And I'm definitely shaky, just to make things more complicated. As far as the "do not cut" mark, it's there to call attention to parts where the connection between the runner and the part could be mistaken--on Unit 4 and Unit 5, the clip part I mentioned is actually gated at the pegs that hold it to the shoulder, so there's a do not cut warning so you don't accidentally cut off the peg.

You don't need to be into Gundam to enjoy the Gundam kits. It's faint reasoning coming from someone who likes Gundam, but there's historical precedent here: what really saved the original 1979 anime was the fact that the Zeon kits were popular with military modelers. Among other things, anyway. The plammo sold well and justified the compilation movies and vinyl soundtracks. My recommendation is look through what is available either at your hobby shop or online and see if something in the HG line catches your eye. I'm planning to work on a Messer F-1 next for example. I can't really recommend it right now because I haven't even cracked open the box yet other than to look at the runners and see if an LED monoeye mod would be feesible, but pick something that looks cool/fun and go nuts. If you end up not liking it, you're out $15-$30 bucks in most cases, which is some takeout or a trip to the movies.

And there's a whole other scale modeling thread in DIY for non-anime/plammo stuff--tanks, airplanes, ships, etc. Those GENERALLY require more investment because they're targeted at people who are a bit deeper in, most require glue and many more will require painting. But if robots aren't tickling your fancy, you can always give those a swing. One of my blue-sky projects is a mashup Eastern Front diorama where I get some 1/144 scale German and Russian soldiers, and paint up some gunpla to look like a T-34 and Panzer IV. How did the Nazis and Soviets get giant robots in 1943? gently caress if I know, but it'll look cool!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Im not trying to shoot you down. And I know you are trying to help but sadly no.

I know my dad built me a shitload of Zoids when I was younger. And doing a google search I hear that is coming back. I might try getting into that for my midlife crisis.

I was also looking into tank building but I got too chickenshit buying a kit because the guy who was there said its really for more patience and for advanced builders and painters.

Maybe what I will do is find a step lower grade Gundam gunpla and just go from there. Red and Black being my favorite colors, and with big guns. Yeah!

If you think you might like to try tanks, don't let the barriers to entry scare you. Yes, you will have to glue stuff together, and paint it. But if that's what you want to do, don't be afraid of the work. It's a chance to learn and grow. Yes, your first attempts will be bad--spend some time getting comfortable with that notion because there is absolutely no way around it other than paying someone else to do it for you. My first stab at doing a tank was a poo poo-build event in the Scale Modeling thread a few years back where they picked a crappy T-34 kit that we all had to build and try to make not crappy. I utterly failed at this, but I learned a bit in the process.

Red and black and big guns? How about Johnny Ridden's Zaku II? It's red and black and has a big honkin bazooka.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, the reason I brought so many things up was because I figured there was a shot none of them would be your tempo. No worries about that being the case.

Something else that might be interesting for you is the 30 minute mission kits. Highly customizable, cheap, no show to worry about, pretty simple builds with cleaner designs.

You've also got accessories packs that allows you to rebuild the mechs to your specifications, or just build cartoony planes, tanks, and the like.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 14, 2023

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

First off. You and everyone here have made some great posts and I really appreciate the feedback and communication you guys had to offer. Sorry if I seemed sensitive earlier with not only my lovely flashing cleanup but also the tools I had. Goons are great for kicking people in the pants to point them in the right direction and while I was a bit depressed I do feel a whole lot better. Including this post.

Warmachine posted:

As far as the "do not cut" mark, it's there to call attention to parts where the connection between the runner and the part could be mistaken--on Unit 4 and Unit 5, the clip part I mentioned is actually gated at the pegs that hold it to the shoulder, so there's a do not cut warning so you don't accidentally cut off the peg.

Im not sure why I did not put two and two together but you are correct. What I can do to improve in the future is to look more carefully at the run and know where the areas to cut vs what to watch out for. When I see warnings I do get tensed up a bit but its not like its gonna bite me. I will be a lot more careful next time as well as visually look at the part a lot more carefully moving forward.

Warmachine posted:

You don't need to be into Gundam to enjoy the Gundam kits.

Well I mean I would hate it for someone to know me personally and point out "Hey thats Model HS-703-A You must have really enjoyed {Gundam Show X}. I do love mechs sure but I never really seen Gundam. I was more of a Macross guy. Loved those movies as a kid.

Warmachine posted:

And there's a whole other scale modeling thread in DIY for non-anime/plammo stuff--tanks, airplanes, ships, etc. Those GENERALLY require more investment because they're targeted at people who are a bit deeper in, most require glue and many more will require painting. But if robots aren't tickling your fancy, you can always give those a swing. One of my blue-sky projects is a mashup Eastern Front diorama where I get some 1/144 scale German and Russian soldiers, and paint up some gunpla to look like a T-34 and Panzer IV. How did the Nazis and Soviets get giant robots in 1943? gently caress if I know, but it'll look cool!

Thats where I first made the post about me buying Eva 01 lmfao. :smith: not knowing that duh, that could be a thread in the Anime forum. Someone politely pointed me here and yeah. That is an investment all in its own. That was also me getting a bit more nervous about getting into the hobby. That can wait a little further down the road.

I really do appreciate the feedback again and I am not going to give up on Unit 01. Maybe I need to forget worrying about the chin for a bit and just work on the arms and 2nd leg so I can begin to wrap things up. When I progress I will be happy to post pictures. It's a good first build and in a way Im glad my ego got hurt so I can learn from my mistakes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Well I mean I would hate it for someone to know me personally and point out "Hey thats Model HS-703-A You must have really enjoyed {Gundam Show X}. I do love mechs sure but I never really seen Gundam. I was more of a Macross guy. Loved those movies as a kid.

Thats where I first made the post about me buying Eva 01 lmfao. :smith: not knowing that duh, that could be a thread in the Anime forum. Someone politely pointed me here and yeah. That is an investment all in its own. That was also me getting a bit more nervous about getting into the hobby. That can wait a little further down the road.

Yeah, even as a Gundam fan, there's one thing in my stack--an RX-80PR "Pale Rider" Space Type--that is from a video game I've never played and will never play because it was a PS3 exclusive and IIRC never got an english translation. I know the broad strokes about it, but the bottom line is that it fits my aesthetic and looks cool. I also know only the broad strokes about the Blue Destiny storyline, but I like the upgraded Ground Gundam-style of the RX-79BD-3. I can tell you the back cover summary for both kits, but that's about it! I bought them because they look cool!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I got into gunpla way before I watched any Gundam, they just look cool even out of context.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Warmachine posted:

If you think you might like to try tanks, don't let the barriers to entry scare you. I utterly failed at this, but I learned a bit in the process.

This is the way. Buy a cheap kit that interests you, mess it up, do better make different mistakes on the next one. I'm going to go off base and recommend starting with Zvezda kits because they're cheap and go together easily. A 1/100 tank will set you back less than :10bux:, the same with a 1/144 airplane. They'll be small, but won't have a lit of fiddly bits, and they'll be easy to paint if you go that route.

There's a scale models thread in there. Don't be intimidated by more experienced modelers posting amazing pics, be inspired. That's what I do!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869&pagenumber=550#lastpost

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

There actually was a new Macross kit released just this year.

So, if you want Walter White's Valk, that's an option.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

mllaneza posted:

This is the way. Buy a cheap kit that interests you, mess it up, do better make different mistakes on the next one.

Quoted without comment. This should be in the OP for both threads.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah, making a mistake on a dream kit can be a real crusher. If you'd like to try something else and you're in the US I will send you a HG Sinanju absolutely free, just PM me your mailing address: http://www.dalong.net/reviews/hg/h116/h116_i.htm

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oh, yeah. Since we were talking about crappy tools--when I was a kid, the first kit I got was an Epyon and the guy at the collectables store suggested using nail clippers to remove the pieces from the gates.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Years ago I saw a guy buy a MG GN-X for scalper prices at a convention, plop down in the dining area, and just start twisting the pieces out with his fingers. I looked but did not see Ashton Kutcher hiding behind a trash can.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Midjack posted:

Years ago I saw a guy buy a MG GN-X for scalper prices at a convention, plop down in the dining area, and just start twisting the pieces out with his fingers. I looked but did not see Ashton Kutcher hiding behind a trash can.

I built my first Wing HGs when I was ten years old by twisting the pieces off the sprue

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I've only seen the OG Gundam TV series, G Gundam, Turn A, and the first part of Witch From Mercury. I'm buying kits from series I've never seen purely because they look cool. For some reason I'm ending up with a lot of Seed kits even though I watched half an episode of it and thought it was terrible.

My first kit was the Full Weapons EG Grandpa, which is a pretty cool kit since the parts are designed to be able to be removed with just your fingers, no tools necessary. All EGs are like that, and very few EGs have stickers (the only one I know of in the Gundam line is the Nu, there's EGs from others series that have a couple). They're somewhat limited in how you can pose them, and I'm not too fond of some of the design choices, but they're still fun to build and end up looking fairly decent even if you don't want to paint or anything.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've only seen the OG Gundam TV series, G Gundam, Turn A, and the first part of Witch From Mercury. I'm buying kits from series I've never seen purely because they look cool. For some reason I'm ending up with a lot of Seed kits even though I watched half an episode of it and thought it was terrible.

My first kit was the Full Weapons EG Grandpa, which is a pretty cool kit since the parts are designed to be able to be removed with just your fingers, no tools necessary. All EGs are like that, and very few EGs have stickers (the only one I know of in the Gundam line is the Nu, there's EGs from others series that have a couple). They're somewhat limited in how you can pose them, and I'm not too fond of some of the design choices, but they're still fun to build and end up looking fairly decent even if you don't want to paint or anything.

I have a soft spot for some of the Seed designs even though I've kinda fallen off the early-2000s spines everywhere design aesthetic they all seem to have. Oh, and I think the Freedom is a better design than the Strike Freedom. Those gold joints are a loving sin.

This is as far as I've gotten with my kit. The back is painted and sealed. Just needs panel lines. I also need to actually finish assembly of the MS Hands option parts I'm using. They gotta be glued together and painted, but I've included them on this pic for completeness sake. The beam sabers and thrusters are still letting their clear coat cure.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 14, 2023

boz
Oct 16, 2005

https://newtype.us/search?q=zoid (click the in stock button on the left)

I hear the Zoids kits are pretty good. They are made by a different company though.

Edit: missed that a link to the new Macross was already posted

boz fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 14, 2023

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
I recently finished my G06 Gundam Mudrock, my personal favorite MS design. Thought I'd share since it's a P-Bandai kit and not something you'd see that often. I'm really happy with how it came out, put off the construction until I felt that I had the skills to pull it off and I feel like that was the right decision. I was really pleased with the kit overall.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Warmachine posted:

Quoted without comment. This should be in the OP for both threads.

I gotta get after my backlog if my posting is better than my modeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, even as a Gundam fan, there's one thing in my stack--an RX-80PR "Pale Rider" Space Type--that is from a video game I've never played and will never play because it was a PS3 exclusive and IIRC never got an english translation.

I have actually played that game and it's turds!

It's weird, they made a bunch of semi-shovelware Gundam games on the PS2 that were mostly excellent, but all of the PS3 titles are just garbage. Extra shout out to the Xbox 360 for the truly awful Operation Troy, which I only just played this year and may actually be worse than The War for Earth.

Gripweed posted:

I built my first Wing HGs when I was ten years old by twisting the pieces off the sprue

There's an official Airfix tutorial somewhere on Youtube that actually suggests doing that. :gonk: