Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Cube pigs from lauded feature film Space Truckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm watching Creed 2 right now and it's pretty good. I dunno if it's aged poorly or not because I don't know what the interplay between Ukrainian and Russian culture was before the war. There's a line where a rich Ukrainian tells Drago's son that he's bringing back glory to Russian boxing, which... seems weird. Not to mention the fact that two Ukrainians are the villains of the film.

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Mar 11, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Would you call Fire Emblem a JRPG? Disgaea? Because I found it real funny when I realised those are closer genre stablemates to X-COM.

'Strategy RPG' is the English name. It's still 'SRPG' in Japan, but that stands for "Simulation RPG". Sometimes also called "Tactics" games because of Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics. It's why Fallout Tactics is called such.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kchama posted:

'Strategy RPG' is the English name. It's still 'SRPG' in Japan, but that stands for "Simulation RPG". Sometimes also called "Tactics" games because of Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics. It's why Fallout Tactics is called such.

I knew about SRPG and was mostly stirring poo poo, but didn't know about the Japanese terms, that's really interesting. Did XCOM do well in Japan? I know Nintendo seemed to give a try at riffing it with Codename Steam.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Leave posted:

I think, way back when, you could rent exotic fruits, too, just to class up the joint
Yes and the pineapple renters also sold pineapple insurance in case you rented a pineapple for a party decoration and one of your fool guests actually ate it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

No, bro! That poo poo will dissolve your mouth! Bromelain, noooooo

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

InediblePenguin posted:

Yes and the pineapple renters also sold pineapple insurance in case you rented a pineapple for a party decoration and one of your fool guests actually ate it

The insurance doesn't cover an act of God unfortunately, and if some idiot puts the pineapple up their butt then that counts because only an act of God could explain that kind of behaviour.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Kchama posted:

Fallout Tactics is a tactics RPG but Final Fantasy Tactics is clearly a strategy RPG

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The new way of naming game genres is to name them after similar games: rougelike, metroidvania, soulsborne etc.
The prototypical JRPGs are Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. The new name should be: fantasy-quests. I think this name is also somewhat evocative of the gameplay.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Nice Van My Man posted:

The new way of naming game genres is to name them after similar games: rougelike, metroidvania, soulsborne etc.
The prototypical JRPGs are Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. The new name should be: fantasy-quests. I think this name is also somewhat evocative of the gameplay.
Finalfantasy-like would work if it wasn't that long. Fantasy-like, Fantasy-lite; similar to Souls-like.

And before the inevitable "putting these diverse games under the same umbrella" argument, if nuclear throne and dead cells can both be described as rogue-lites, so can probably these. Of course you would add something else like you would with those games (rogue-lite bullet hell, rogue-lite platformer, etc).

It's very difficult for even the blandest of games to have a single descriptor. Even CoD isn't just an FPS and it's probably the most vanilla of the AAA names.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

InediblePenguin posted:

There were also instances of fraud because do you think lil' Lord Wemblseybottom knows the difference between a pineapple and a painted pine cone?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Nice Van My Man posted:

Hero-Quests

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What do the Japanese themselves call jrpg games? Not the English translation, I want the word in Japanese.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

oldpainless posted:

What do the Japanese themselves call jrpg games? Not the English translation, I want the word in Japanese.

I believe the term is "Kusoge" :P

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

oldpainless posted:

"RPG". Or ロールプレイングゲーム, an awful kana rendition of the English "role playing game"

Like they use "anime" for Japanese and non-Japanese animation without distinction

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

icantfindaname posted:

"RPG". Or ロールプレイングゲーム, an awful kana rendition of the English "role playing game"

Like they use "anime" for Japanese and non-Japanese animation without distinction

Weird "fact" : "anime" is actually a homonym for "life" in Japanese

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

icantfindaname posted:

Wait, so I could go to Japan and unironically say King of the Hill is my favorite anime?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I actually saw a bit of that dubbed in Japanese and the greatest travesty is that they took Hank's distinctive bwahhh and turned it into the generic Japanese surprise ehhhh sound.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I just use turn based RPG, and if I want to specify something menu based I say old school turned based rpg, and that includes everything from Wizardy, Ultima, and Might and Magic to Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Wait, so I could go to Japan and unironically say King of the Hill is my favorite anime?

You don't have to go to Japan to do that

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Kit Walker posted:

You don't have to go to Japan to do that

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Written by Karl Taro Greenfeld

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Which hoooooly poo poo would that man's writing fit in this thread

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Toby Fox said in a Japanese interview that he took inspiration 'from the American manga Garfield'.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Which hoooooly poo poo would that man's writing fit in this thread

This is my first time hearing of this person, so I'm curious.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

ishikabibble posted:

Toby Fox said in a Japanese interview that he took inspiration 'from the American manga Garfield'.

I went to check the original interview and the phrase used is 'アメリカのマンガ『ガーフィールド』' which I guess does literally translate to 'American manga Garfield' but isn't 'マンガ' just a catch-all term for comics in Japanese regardless of Japanese?

or is that the joke

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
similarly, "tokusatsu" applies equally to godzilla, power rangers (sentai), and star trek

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

similarly, "tokusatsu" applies equally to godzilla, power rangers (sentai), and star trek

My favorite transformation sequence is the enterprise-d’s saucer separation

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

marshmallow creep posted:

This is my first time hearing of this person, so I'm curious.

He made up a bunch of poo poo and sold it as non-fiction

Karl Taro Greenfeld posted:

Way back, my non-fiction was much better because I would use all this fictional stuff in it, reinventing scenes, dialogue, whatever I needed to make a plausible narrative. But then people began getting in trouble for that and the journalism police began busting people so I had to knock it off and be much more cautious with my non-fiction.

I loved his book, Speed Tribes, growing up. But it's full of so much BS, presenting itself as this raw gonzo reporting on the reality of post-bubble Tokyo. One of the stories is basically Yukio Mishima with the names and dates filed off, complete with seppuku. Guy was wildly mixing personal anecdotes with news stories he'd read and passing it off as journalism to fund his drug problems and ex-pat lifestyle.

Speed Demons
METHAMPHETAMINES ARE RIPPING ACROSS ASIA, SEDUCING THE YOUNG WITH A PROMISE OF A FAST, CLEAN HIGH. KARL TARO GREENFELD VISITS ONE OF THE REGION'S WORST DRUG SLUMS AND COMES TO TERMS WITH THE DEADLY DO

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

loving lol at "my non-fiction was much better because I would use all this fictional stuff"

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
The introduction to Speed Tribes is him talking about the sound of bosozoku drowning out his girlfriend dumping his rear end for being a loser who couldn't pay back $200

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Feel like cinemasins is too easy. Those were DOA right from the hop

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

See that building on the left with the two circles? That's the Milleneum Falcon. One of the model makers was building one for fun and they needed more buildings in the shot so they modified it a bit and put it in.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

deoju posted:

See that building on the left with the two circles? That's the Milleneum Falcon. One of the model makers was building one for fun and they needed more buildings in the shot so they modified it a bit and put it in.

P sure that's an Alienware desktop

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Arivia posted:

My favorite transformation sequence is the enterprise-d’s saucer separation

So much of the whole toku genre can be traced right back to Thunderbirds.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Pachylad posted:

I went to check the original interview and the phrase used is 'アメリカのマンガ『ガーフィールド』' which I guess does literally translate to 'American manga Garfield' but isn't 'マンガ' just a catch-all term for comics in Japanese regardless of Japanese?

or is that the joke

It's the joke in that the joke is that that statement is actually accurate, yeah.

Manga is the catchall for comics like anime is the catchall for cartoons. So people in Japan literally can say 'my favorite anime is King of the Hill'.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So much of the whole toku genre can be traced right back to Thunderbirds.

The launch sequence where all the Tracy family get to their ships by just the most ridiculous means and any time Thunderbird 2 dropped its pod have been remade a million times since 1965.

And I am loving down to watch them every time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot makes sense when you realise the anime boom pretty much almost entirely coincided with the 'liking things is lame and gay' era, even before you get into the seething racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
So you're saying anime's fault is ironic detachment?