Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
Six years after the announcement of version 4.0 of Starcitizensquadron5404 I applaud the release of version 3.18.15436583.1-2 Alphaforlegalreasons as a watercloset moment in the story of Sir Robert of Space. A hero of our age.

In celebration, please enjoy this catte.

Experimental Skin fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Popete posted:

Are there actually coffee cups even in the game?

There is a coffee cup in the default wankpod you spawn into, the entire room is filled with items you can interact with. The rest of the gameworld does not have this feature. Unless you count the hot dog stands.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Isn’t there a coffee machine with a coffee cup that you can fill and drink from in some ship? I remember some videos with fidelitious coffee drinking

€dit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtSzL6BErGk

fudsters btfo

chadbear fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 13, 2023

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

chadbear posted:

Isn’t there a coffee machine with a coffee cup that you can fill and drink from in some ship? I remember some videos with fidelitious coffee drinking

€dit:

fudsters btfo

The idea of an instant coffee machine on a space ship is giving me “I open palm slap the cassette tape into the machine” vibes

Imagine a citizen out there , waking up and mimicking their human morning routine but I’m a video game

Imagine how utterly sad that is

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

chadbear posted:

€dit:

fudsters btfo

More like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pz7CqWTMs

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

chadbear posted:

€dit:

fudsters btfo

What is this FOV? :psyduck:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EquatorialSafeAfricancivet-mobile.mp4

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Star Citizen: The game would be done if it wasn't for the alpha

edit: I'm still in awe at how broke brained you would have to be to think that having to have a playable alpha would slow development down so that a game that has taken 12 years is now going to take 30. I mean, you have to have the playable alpha internally to test the drat game? maybe what's delaying it so much is having your devs make coffee makers when the server's underlying technology for feasible performance apparently isn't even started? seriously Star Citizen's development is the ceo of a company that builds houses going to a house with a concrete slab and 3/4 of the basic framing up and saying "ok next start painting the interior walls"

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 13, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what was the whole story with Derek Smart again? Was it just that he also had a space sim game that actually came out combined with him having a massive ego, or was there more to the story?

I used to know it, but I've honestly forgotten and goons tend to be a bit more entertaining in their retellings. Though I will accept links to entertaining YouTube videos on the subject as well.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
His name's been said so often I'm amazed he isn't already here.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Randalor posted:

Though I will accept links to entertaining YouTube videos on the subject as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIn1_9YvGds

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Randalor posted:

So what was the whole story with Derek Smart again? Was it just that he also had a space sim game that actually came out combined with him having a massive ego, or was there more to the story?

I used to know it, but I've honestly forgotten and goons tend to be a bit more entertaining in their retellings. Though I will accept links to entertaining YouTube videos on the subject as well.

Derek just kinda stuck his nose in things and commented on just how bullshit the project was. He was also a backer, game developer, and was working on his own sci-fi FPS game that touted using ships and ground combat and more.

He read threads twice as fast with quadruple monitors that auto-scrolled through the pages, 2 backwards, 2 forwards - loved to call out and harass at least 1 disabled kid, including doxxing them.

Derek for sure has an ego, but for all his bluster and Tesla-driving ways (Lol I wonder how his car is doing, actually) he at least codes better than Chris Roberts. And while Derek's games are bad (and inexplicably difficult to control - see: The Escape Key Saga), he didn't get half a billion dollars in funding and infinite development time to make them better.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

His claim to fame is a game from the 90s that nobody remembers. Which has lead to him having an ego larger than Chris Roberts.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I would be more willing to throw money (away) at Derek Smart than Star Citizen at this point, ngl

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Randalor posted:

He was a goon back in the day, had a (bunch) of in-depth sim games, well-known on various message boards for being unrelenting for like decades. Came (back?) to SA, had some relationship with Lowtax, was very anti-SC fairly early in "There's no way this can be done as-desribed." Cried wolf for like years expecting CI(G) to shutter ("two weeks, 90 days tops"), got in a bunch of pissing matches with folks here ("commas" and "escape key" being two of the better ones), had a wild way to read the thread which had moved much faster at the time, was an IK for a while, eventually doxxed people and got warned a bunch about it, kept doxxing and then got kicked for real.

That's what I remember at least, I'm sure some of that is wrong and a lot is missing.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
The thing about Derek is that none of his games were ever fun, they were wildly broken to a degree that is at least comparable to Star Citizen if not worse, except also uglier (even adjusted for the time period) while still being non-performant on most machines.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
He wrote endless essays about how the game couldn’t even be done with 300mil. I actually read them, since he would make some reasonable arguments within the wall of text, and he was mostly right.

But otherwise he was insufferable

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

he at least codes better than Chris Roberts
I'm not sure I ever got why that's supposed to be a good thing. The cocaine bear couldn't code his way out of a wet paper bag that's been left open at one end.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm not sure I ever got why that's supposed to be a good thing. The cocaine bear couldn't code his way out of a wet paper bag that's been left open at one end.

Because if you're going to be God-king Code Whisperer of your project and relentlessly demand perfection from all your underlings (to the tune of many a hilarious "Hellos!' by TheAgent), you should at least know your poo poo.

If you just want to be the face of a nerdy nostalgia trip thats fleecing old gamers out of their life's savings - that's fine.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

But can Derek Smart direct a major motion picture better than Chris Roberts?

low bar

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I have exactly 0 coding experience, and I'm pretty sure that I could outcode Chris Roberts at this point. Especially if I had 1 million, let alone the infinite-million that he seems to have.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Wasn't Derek massively Streisand-effected by CIG unilaterally refunding/cancelling his kickstarter pledge?

Larz
Jul 29, 2011
Derek Smart Was Right.

http://dereksmart.com/2015/07/interstellar-citizens/

(I can't believe it's been almost 8 years since the July Blog).

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Derek Smart is mad he isn't the one who can attract hundreds of millions of dollars to fail to make a game, and Chris Roberts is

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Because if you're going to be God-king Code Whisperer of your project and relentlessly demand perfection from all your underlings (to the tune of many a hilarious "Hellos!' by TheAgent), you should at least know your poo poo.

If you just want to be the face of a nerdy nostalgia trip thats fleecing old gamers out of their life's savings - that's fine.
Nah, the cocaine is a living example of the Peter principle, in that he's done it to himself.
He might've been able to write code once, but I have seen zero evidence that he's written even a single line for anything involving Star Citizen.

Also, is there a repository of all of TheAgents "Hellos!"?

Randalor posted:

I have exactly 0 coding experience, and I'm pretty sure that I could outcode Chris Roberts at this point. Especially if I had 1 million, let alone the infinite-million that he seems to have.
I'm pretty sure that in the time Star Citizen has been in development, someone smart could've started from first principles, learned C++ and data driven development, and picked an engine, then made a game that's not just more performant, but also contains more content.

I would be entirely unsurprising if someone provides a link for a game that's out/fairly late in Early Access on Steam, where that's the exact thing that happened.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Derek Smart blog posted:

Despite the fact that ED was delivered late, mostly unfinished, very buggy (it still is), and for non-space sim fans is as boring as watching paint dry, they delivered as promised. In fact, they exceeded my expectations because I wasn’t expecting, nor wanting, more than that which they delivered. What most of us wanted was a bigger and better Elite, with modern day tech. And they delivered in spades.

Now, they’re rumored to be considering adding planetary access and such, though it’s anyone’s guess what form that will take. From where I’m sitting, and given my experience in chasing that particular whale, I’ll believe it when I see it.

As someone who has been playing a lot of E:D and the garbo space legs they added that honestly kind of destroyed the game's momentum and led to them putting the console versions into maintenance mode, all I can say is oof on his comment there lol

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

lobsterminator posted:

His claim to fame is a game from the 90s that nobody remembers. Which has lead to him having an ego larger than Chris Roberts.

Hey Battlecruiser 3000 AD was one of the first games I ever bought with my own money. I got it out of a Kroger discount bin and never figured out how to do anything in it, but the case said it was really good and I have no reason to dispute that.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Blue On Blue posted:

The idea of an instant coffee machine on a space ship is giving me “I open palm slap the cassette tape into the machine” vibes

Imagine a citizen out there , waking up and mimicking their human morning routine but I’m a video game

Imagine how utterly sad that is

Dunno man, if I were the captain of the most modern combat ship in the navy or something, I'd probably lose my poo poo if nobody put in a coffee machine. I think this principle extends to space

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Kavros posted:

Derek Smart is mad he isn't the one who can attract hundreds of millions of dollars to fail to make a game, and Chris Roberts is

Yeah there was a definite underlying jealously that no one was showering him with hundreds of millions of dollars for his own ancient 90’s dev god awakening. But alas the world just wasn’t worthy of Battlecruiser 4000.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Never forget that Derek Smart was on a pro-Gamergate panel discussion along loving Milo Yiannopoulos and Christina Hoff-Sommers.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Kavros posted:

Dunno man, if I were the captain of the most modern combat ship in the navy or something, I'd probably lose my poo poo if nobody put in a coffee machine. I think this principle extends to space

Citizens usually import stimperial autoinjectors and repurpose them to inject caffeine instead of the worst type of electricity.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'm fairly certain the coffee maker in Star Citizen is there because Chris watched the Expanse episode where they commandeer the Rocinante with its authentic coffee beans coffee machine.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

The release of Starfield can’t come soon enough, what with the great amount of colour we’ll get to see.

Starfield is going to have a bountiful crop of rendering bugs, a bunch of physics bugs, and a fair share of mission scripting bugs.

It’ll still be fun and successful, it’ll probably be quite good. Citizens are still going to decry how all other AAA games are buggy trash, buy an Idris.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If we get a physics bug where being hit hard enough causes you to pinball around the galaxy in Starfield, I'll he happy.

Honest question, but are they still insisting on using Cryengine, and how many problems could be easily solved by changing engines?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They're using a version of Lumberyard (which is itself a fork of Cryengine) that they've made modifications too. Switching engines would probably help but no engine is capable of doing what they have said they would do. It's really more of a networking limitation than anything else.

Also you would first have to define what Star Citizen is which is difficult to do because CIG have promised and back tracked on so many things over the years that nailing that down into a list of things required for Star Citizen to be complete is basically impossible and CIG prefers that ambiguity because then nobody can ever truly say they've failed.

Popete fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 13, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Jonny Nox posted:

Starfield is going to have a bountiful crop of rendering bugs, a bunch of physics bugs, and a fair share of mission scripting bugs.

It’ll still be fun and successful, it’ll probably be quite good. Citizens are still going to decry how all other AAA games are buggy trash, buy an Idris.

I have no doubt it will be successful, but I’ve played FO3/4 and Oblivion and Bethesda is def capable of making games that are terrible

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ah, okay. I just remember years ago where people were making fun of an early test release where CIG had fudged zero-gee by just raising the water level to max and people were drowning in their ships. Or at least that's what I recall people claiming. It was funny either way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The server database or something is down so addicts haven't been able to login and do whatever it is they do

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://status.robertsspaceindustries.com/

Star Citizen is still good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Guys, listen. This outage is great for the following reasons: