Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/1634314481542270977?t=TG3ZPNPPFHO0CtApvht4Nw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I'm pretty sure LeBron being on extras has been an open secret since his Miami days.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The UFC crowned a new top bantamweight contender today with a history-breaking statistical performance and their twitter and instagram feeds are dozens of clips from Power Slap.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Marching Powder posted:

I'm pretty sure LeBron being on extras has been an open secret since his Miami days.

oh all the NBA is same as every other sport where drug testing would be bad for the image like tennis, it's just funny says they share a dealer

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Please don't forget this tweet which should be a shock to nobody about the platform chosen to broadcast that on, and the political ideology that Dana openly supported.

https://twitter.com/FightOpinion/status/1634749956266528769

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Worst kept secret is that everyone in the NFL and NBA is on juice.

CarlCX posted:

The UFC crowned a new top bantamweight contender today with a history-breaking statistical performance and their twitter and instagram feeds are dozens of clips from Power Slap.

To be honest if you were relying on instagram or twitter you wouldn't have known there was a card on yesterday for all the powerslap bullshit.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Eh if you care about UFC cards you should be relying on insta/twitter to tell you when there isn't a card on a Saturday, otherwise you should assume that there is. That being said, obviously, gently caress power slap and lmao at the fake tweets.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
when VC money starts flowing again I'm pitching a premium VR/braindance/gig economy subscription for power slap where everyone watching is also slapped

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Brut, did Krylov say anything about the war? Was he speaking in Ukrainian or Russian?

He got the "too controversial country" flag

I wouldn't have been surprised if they left out what oblast he was from.

Also lol
https://twitter.com/MMAMircea/status/1634985271073869824

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Izzy should not be talking poo poo about going to sleep in round 5.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think he was just legit tired. I've been that sleepy and sometimes watching 5 rounds of MMA will shut your lights out.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

kimbo305 posted:

Brut, did Krylov say anything about the war? Was he speaking in Ukrainian or Russian?

Uh kind of, there was this:

Brut posted:

Jesus christ, ya'll probably didn't get this on the ESPN broadcast but Krylov looked around to the crowd and shouted "USA, USA" a couple times with like a 'what now?' kinda look, then changed it to "Russia" chants with the same cadence (ro-si-ya). gently caress Krylov.

https://streamable.com/uxsbxo

I do also remember him saying something in the postfight interview along the lines of "I wish all our fighters well in future battles" but it was pretty vague. You know what, since UFC actually posts postfight interviews on youtube now and there's good footage, and since I was yelling at the translator for not paying attention during the first couple questions and just making poo poo up Wait, no, that was Usman's translator in the Bellator main event, lmao. --- anyway, let me provide a transcript:

DC: I'm here with Nikita Krylov, Nikita you guys were supposed to fight a couple weeks ago, but the moment the fight started you fought as if this was a one round fight, was this what you expected?
NK: Uhh, yeah probably blyat, if I knew things would unfold this way I would've agreed to fight the previous time, joking of course, felt very sick. I want to ask forgiveness of the organization (UFC) for the first time in my life pulling out of a performance, hope I gave everyone good emotions this time, wishing good luck to all our men in future battles.
Translator: Yeah if I knew the fight was gonna go like that I would've maybe said yes last time, it's a joke of course yeah I wasn't feeling well, I'd like to apologize to the organization for taking off that fight, this is the first time I've ever done it in the whole time I've been in the UFC, I hope everyone enjoyed the fight and I hope all the other guys that are behind me are gonna have a great fight.

Uh the rest of the interview is just about some technical stuff in the fight itself and then one answer that he gives in English about wanting to rest, not gonna bother with that.

Anyway I don't know for sure if the translator in the moment honestly thought Krylov was talking about other fighters later on the card, but from the exact language Krylov used I find it very unlikely that he wasn't referring to the war there, but it's vague enough that there's plausible deniability.

If you wanna have a go at it yourself or ask someone else the relevant part of the sentence is:
желаю удачи всем нашим парням в дальнейших боях

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Dana getting mad in comments of a post Mike Tyson probably got paid to make

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
lmfao I love how Tyson's post is entirely in quotes

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Copy paste is hard

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlindSite posted:

To be honest if you were relying on instagram or twitter you wouldn't have known there was a card on yesterday for all the powerslap bullshit.

see the UFC.com page for the Jones/Gane fight that covered 1/3rd of the screen with PowerSlap promotion (or that the UFC twitter/insta keeps reposting the PowerSlap promo poo poo).

Brut posted:

Eh if you care about UFC cards you should be relying on insta/twitter to tell you when there isn't a card on a Saturday, otherwise you should assume that there is. That being said, obviously, gently caress power slap and lmao at the fake tweets.

This is stupid. UFC doesn't operate on an "every weekend" schedule like every other sports leagues, so using their social media spaces to keep track of when an event is on is not absurd. Who just assumes there's a UFC event on EVERY weekend?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I wonder how long the white power slap hour can astroturf itself into relevancy and what the total damage will end up being - the marketing blitz felt like good money after bad before the show even aired, now we're at the "faking twitter engagement from ham-and-eggers and abandoned accounts" stage and its only the second (?) episode

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

DoombatINC posted:

I wonder how long the white power slap hour can astroturf itself into relevancy and what the total damage will end up being - the marketing blitz felt like good money after bad before the show even aired, now we're at the "faking twitter engagement from ham-and-eggers and abandoned accounts" stage and its only the second (?) episode

Oh no, my friend. That was the big glitzy season finale. They were astroturfing fake engagement to pretend people watched its championship blowoff.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

DoombatINC posted:

The season finale had the shows worst-yet ratings. It’s over.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The dirt bag MMA media have once again unfairly sabotaged the genius of Dana White.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

blue footed boobie posted:

The season finale had the shows worst-yet ratings. It’s over.

Dana White's response to this has been to say Power Slap's new home is out-and-out shithead internet zone Rumble, which is their new Spike TV. The Rumble stream, which is free on the internet, peaked at just about 195,000 viewers, which is 30,000 lower than the TV season finale did.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CarlCX posted:

Dana White's response to this has been to say Power Slap's new home is out-and-out shithead internet zone Rumble, which is their new Spike TV. The Rumble stream, which is free on the internet, peaked at just about 195,000 viewers, which is 30,000 lower than the TV season finale did.

not just "shithead internet zone" but "out and out racist loving and embracing online space because YouTube is 'too woke' but also think that businesses should be able to discriminate against people if they want but not against us"

This was the live chat on Rumble. Weird how racist poo poo went up when non-white people were on the screen.

https://twitter.com/EInsides/status/1634753358341853185

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 13, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1/3rd of the UFC's official YouTube channel in the past 8 days was PowerSlap content.

But it's the media hating on Dana that is ruining people's appreciation for PowerSlap and not, you know, how much people just don't want to watch it at all after having it attempted to be forced down their throats by the "Fight Promotion Genius."

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 13, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CarlCX posted:

Oh no, my friend. That was the big glitzy season finale. They were astroturfing fake engagement to pretend people watched its championship blowoff.
That kind of championship would definitely be a better product.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I almost can't believe that Dana white slapped the poo poo out of his wife and then went all in on white power slap hour.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

(excited to talk about white power slap with my friends) Did u see the part where he slapped the guy and he fell down

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

The dirt bag MMA media have once again unfairly sabotaged the genius of Dana White.
Coming soon to Mike Tyson’s Twitter

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I know a paycheque is a paycheque but there's no way Forrest Griffin or Jason Herzog are going hungry what the gently caress are they doing

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Maybe we can create a power slap thread, you guys talk about it non-stop.

Seriously, its not MMA, why are you giving it so much attention?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Because it's run by the MMA guy

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

No one is talking about power slap, we're bitching about it as an extension of Dana white and his poor decision, a lot like when we discuss fighter pay. On the upsids metrics show this thing sucks and is failing so at some point in the next few months the conversation will change to power slap a lot how people talked about the xfl

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

beep by grandpa posted:

(excited to talk about white power slap with my friends) Did u see the part where he slapped the guy and he fell down

So i haven’t seen power slap, but the whole reason that these slap competitions took off was that in a social media format a 15 second clip of some guy getting the absolute crap slapped out of him is actually kind of interesting and can go viral.

The fact that Dana thought that it would somehow translate into a one hour longform show is wild. I have no clue what they’re showing in between slaps but I can’t imagine it’s interesting except to humanize the people getting CTE.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Mekchu posted:

This is stupid. UFC doesn't operate on an "every weekend" schedule like every other sports leagues, so using their social media spaces to keep track of when an event is on is not absurd. Who just assumes there's a UFC event on EVERY weekend?

lmao I didn't accuse anyone of being absurd. There were 42 UFC events last year, if that doesn't count as "almost every Saturday" in your book, we don't have to agree on that. I don't specifically know that much about how other sports leagues operate but don't they generally take like full months off because there are seasons? I mean obviously "is it currently <insert sport here> season" or whatever isn't something you'd be looking up over and over every weekend, but still I thought the UFC actually operates on more weekends on average than the major sports. Point is if every Friday you thought to yourself "I'm gonna watch UFC tomorrow" then something like 80% of the time you'd be right, and the other 20% you'd be surprised with some extra free time, seems like a win/win to me.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Maybe we can create a power slap thread, you guys talk about it non-stop.

Seriously, its not MMA, why are you giving it so much attention?

It's because of things like this:

Mekchu posted:

1/3rd of the UFC's official YouTube channel in the past 8 days was PowerSlap content.

But it's the media hating on Dana that is ruining people's appreciation for PowerSlap and not, you know, how much people just don't want to watch it at all after having it attempted to be forced down their throats by the "Fight Promotion Genius."

Them putting this slap poo poo on the actual UFC channel is complete bullshit and it's this kind of poo poo that is forcing us to address it, at the end of the day while we did roll in the other MMA orgs in to the thread from the separate B-League thread, this is still a UFC-focused thread and if UFC is doing dumb poo poo we're gonna talk about it, even if said dumb poo poo isn't MMA.

That being said, I don't think I've seen a single instance ITT of anyone posting positive things about the slap poo poo

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

Feel like Usman is going to regain his belt this weekend. I really like Leon Edwards but can't help but see him as one of the few people who wins fights and actually lowers his stock in the process (thoroughly beat Diaz but my prevailing image from that fight is him getting rocked and almost losing in the final round; won the championship after being thoroughly dominated by Usman but landing a beautiful kick at the very end). A slightly more prepared Usman is going to be ready for that kick, with added fire and motivation to get the title back. IMO Usman is just a much better overall fighter.

Anyway, I'll be back when Edwards wins by Round 1 submission because it's MMA and nothing makes sense.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Brut posted:

Them putting this slap poo poo on the actual UFC channel is complete bullshit and it's this kind of poo poo that is forcing us to address it, at the end of the day while we did roll in the other MMA orgs in to the thread from the separate B-League thread, this is still a UFC-focused thread and if UFC is doing dumb poo poo we're gonna talk about it, even if said dumb poo poo isn't MMA.

Yeah let's not go back to seperating threads, I don't think we're anywhere near having too many posts rather than the opposite.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Brut posted:

It's because of things like this:

That being said, I don't think I've seen a single instance ITT of anyone posting positive things about the slap poo poo

gently caress, I guess they win. There is no were I can go to avoid people talking about slap league.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Oh poo poo, did you guys watch the lastest episiode?

https://twitter.com/rubandamayonza1/status/1617834673509650432

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/_willcompton/status/1634752506524995587
"Lol. You gotta watch this poo poo.

@powerslapleague
is going to be awesome."

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

freak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Yo Fozzy

Brut posted:

This part of my post was not meant to be a challenge, what the gently caress are you doing? cut it out.