Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
$20 million for a RT with one good year under his belt? I'm drafting a tackle at 9 instead of paying anyone in this market, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I think the last time the Lions swung on a FA corner was Justin Coleman, who had like 1.5 good games and then turned into the worst DB in the league

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

xbilkis posted:

$20 million for a RT with one good year under his belt? I'm drafting a tackle at 9 instead of paying anyone in this market, sorry

The Bears have a billion dollars and a ton of holes, they need to spend money in FA so they can save their draft picks for positions they can’t easily fill in FA. You only get to spend that #9 pick once, you can’t use it on a DT and a DE and multiple offense linemen and another WR.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think the d-linemen in this market are a better value, so I'd spend there. I'd rather give $20 million a year to Dre'mont Jones than $18-20m to McGlinchey or Taylor

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tinstaach posted:

I think the last time the Lions swung on a FA corner was Justin Coleman, who had like 1.5 good games and then turned into the worst DB in the league

They gave him the biggest contract for a slot corner to date. Quinntricia was so terrible.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

xbilkis posted:

I think the d-linemen in this market are a better value, so I'd spend there. I'd rather give $20 million a year to Dre'mont Jones than $18-20m to McGlinchey or Taylor

Do both. They have plenty of money. If the Bears don’t come away from FA with at least one quality OL signing they‘ve hosed up pretty badly.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Bears have a billion dollars and a ton of holes, they need to spend money in FA so they can save their draft picks for positions they can’t easily fill in FA. You only get to spend that #9 pick once, you can’t use it on a DT and a DE and multiple offense linemen and another WR.

Just because you have a ton of money doesn't mean you need to overpay. Wait for the first wave of free agency to pass and get value. That is what good teams do.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You have to spend money on the o line because you traded the first over all and will be totally hosed if Fields goes down because you cheaped out on the line.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

HootTheOwl posted:

You have to spend money on the o line because you traded the first over all and will be totally hosed if Fields goes down because you cheaped out on the line.

Yeah, but you can spend on the line without overspending. There are more than three lineman available in free agency. I don't want the Bears to overpay just to make a big splash. I want them to do what Poles said they would do. Build for long-term sustained success. And that doesn't happen by going crazy in free agency.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I didn't say they shouldn't sign anyone on the offensive line; I just said I'm fine if they don't sign a top-of-the-market tackle because they can easily draft one! It's not like this is just me being reactionary because the good tackles are signing somewhere else; I said the same thing two days ago:

xbilkis posted:

There are some OK starter options at tackle but also there's a reason those guys hit free agency. ...

Once you add in the fact that even the RTs are gonna be looking for $15-20 million/year paydays, and I'm pretty ambivalent about the tackle market. If I had to pick one, I'd probably try to spring for Taylor and pray that his pass blocking holds up because lord knows the Bears need it, but I'd just as soon focus our free agent spending on building the D-line and try to target an OT at 9.

But yes they should sign an iOL or two so they're not 100% reliant on a rookie elevating their offensive line performance

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also the two best lineman are still available in Brown and Tunsil(trade)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I kind of expect they'll end up signing McGary for like $15m/year anyway

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

Also the two best lineman are still available in Brown and Tunsil(trade)

The way the market is going, I do not want Brown at $25mill per year

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Brown at $25 million a year to play LT seems like a pretty fair price given what the RTs are going for

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

xbilkis posted:

Brown at $25 million a year to play LT seems like a pretty fair price given what the RTs are going for

Personally, I think that is too much for a guy as flawed in pass protection as he is. But also, it is not my money and he is the best tackle in free agency, so I won't be too mad if that is what happens.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sataere posted:

Just because you have a ton of money doesn't mean you need to overpay. Wait for the first wave of free agency to pass and get value. That is what good teams do.

The Super Bowl champs just signed Taylor and the 49ers just signed Hargrave. The good teams seem to be trying to add the good players and not worrying about value.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

I like this chart that I just found. https://twitter.com/peachjames_/status/1635336283550785537?s=46&t=gpZvn3YGyZwhqHuKB_X0qg

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

The Super Bowl champs just signed Taylor and the 49ers just signed Hargrave. The good teams seem to be trying to add the good players and not worrying about value.

To be fair, Superbowl contenders doing it make more sense to say gently caress value.

Mostly don't get caught up in immediacy.

Dudes are still available. At least wait til Wed before bears doomposting

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The more I look at that trade for Chicago and today.. goddamn I like what that GMs doing. Congrats Bears boys.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Thanks for this chart. Really makes me feel good about the Lions signing him. I did not know that much about him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mostly the Bears are focused on Dre'mont Jones.

Depending on what happens with him they will circle back.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/1635353210310504448?s=20

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

To be fair, Superbowl contenders doing it make more sense to say gently caress value.

Mostly don't get caught up in immediacy.

Dudes are still available. At least wait til Wed before bears doomposting

This. If the Bears were one piece away, by all means overspend on a guy in your window. But it is a bad idea to do it in the middle of a rebuild.

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

:sickos: J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!! Yesss, take him off our hands.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Good riddance. That fellow is a bad egg.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/GarrettWilson_V/status/1635354981888061441

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/zachkruse2/status/1635355925245759489?t=axElWnRvg5Y6GtVJ5CAnPA&s=19

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If this clears the way for Lamar in GB I'm loving done with this stupid sport

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

GNU Order posted:

I would loving punch a hole in my wall

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

i didnt think kyler gordon was that bad, lol

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
He was total dogshit for most of the season but showed some signs of life in the last few weeks. I'm hoping we sign an outside CB and let him just focus on the slot; it feels like we asked too much of him last year

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Slot is harder than Outside corner.

Having to do run fits while also dealing with recievers and tight ends who can go in or out or run past you.

Slot corners are so important now in a league where the best recievers just lineup wherever.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 13, 2023

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
It’s so cool that Rodgers will get another opportunity to bitch about fake news

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

He seems happy

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

GNU Order posted:

Don't even joke.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

i didnt think kyler gordon was that bad, lol

He was like the worst corner in football. Might be worse than the Velus Jones pick which is saying something.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This seems like a really good deal for the best Center in free agency. Hope there is someone else lined up for the Bears.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1635365278593982465

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/1635365336907382784

Considering how much they need to spend this year.

I think they are working on something big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

never forget, the lions chased Aaron Rodgers out of the division :smuggo: