Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Escobarbarian posted:

I didn’t watch Robocop until last year. I tend to not be big on “beloved 80s movies” like the kind beloved by those who think Ghostbusters is a perfect movie so I didn’t think I’d like it too much. Anyway it absolutely loving ruled

ColdPie posted:

I also watched it for the first time in the past year. The scene near the end where the evil robot just slips and falls down the stairs loving killed me. I had to rewind and watch it again.

If you haven’t already seen it, Robocop 2 is a great sequel! The 3rd turned into a pg-13 cartoon unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Verhoeven made the best blockbusters that had such sly humour in them. It rules he did Total Recall with Arnie, just the best pairing for that kind of stuff.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah Robocop 2 while divisive (I think the general consensus is only the original is worth watching?) is a great follow-up in my opinion and does a good job of treading the fine line between hosed-up and hilarious. I think everyone would agree it's worth watching just for the new Robocop scenes alone.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I can't believe there's been this much Robocop discussion and nobody posted the real remake, rated as hard R as the original.

https://vimeo.com/86014703

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Charles Martel posted:

Imagine a world where that makes a comeback and is worth over a hundred dollars like the Rock Band instruments are now.

wait those are worth money? I've got some just sitting around that I never use

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

I can't believe there's been this much Robocop discussion and nobody posted the real remake, rated as hard R as the original.

I WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THIS WHAT THE gently caress LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You see a Vimeo link, you think Fatal Farm

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

priznat posted:

Verhoeven made the best blockbusters that had such sly humour in them. It rules he did Total Recall with Arnie, just the best pairing for that kind of stuff.

Showgirls is still overlooked, but it makes the perfect American trilogy along with Starship Troopers and Robocop.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Knew what it was just looking at the link. Lmao

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

This is what Grayson in Bulletstorm meant with "I'll kill your dick!"

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

Showgirls is still overlooked, but it makes the perfect American trilogy along with Starship Troopers and Robocop.

Showgirls is an amazing work of absolute nonsense garbage and I love every grimey, sleazy minute of it. I've never seen a movie capture the disgusting feeling of walking around Vegas in the heat and clouds of cigarette smoke and booze haze like Showgirls does.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

There's an episode of The Movies That Made Us about RoboCop which is a riot.
Amazing the movie even made it to release.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Man Guilty Gear is so good. When the servers are cooperating, it's just a great time. Currently tooling around floor 4 as I relearn how to play with this fight stick I got. Player counts seem pretty good, great to have it on Game Pass to keep players coming.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

Imagine a world where that makes a comeback and is worth over a hundred dollars like the Rock Band instruments are now.

It's funny what things end up being valued high. I think my official Nintendo GameCube component cable is my most valuable possession at this point.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

Showgirls is good. It's a horror movie about meat grinders like Vegas and a cyclical loss of humanity.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Escape Goat posted:

It's funny what things end up being valued high. I think my official Nintendo GameCube component cable is my most valuable possession at this point.

Just casually browsing the R/CollectingRetroGames subreddit, prices for old poo poo is insane. Folks are posting second hand stores that want $350 for a GameboySP.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

joylessdivision posted:

Showgirls is an amazing work of absolute nonsense garbage and I love every grimey, sleazy minute of it. I've never seen a movie capture the disgusting feeling of walking around Vegas in the heat and clouds of cigarette smoke and booze haze like Showgirls does.

Agreed. I grew up in Vegas and it absolutely captures the real life reality of existing in Las Vegas more than any other movie. A town filled with second-rate hope.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I had no idea Verhoeven did showgirls! I remember everyone making GBS threads on the movie so hard, I think cause people expected some prestige movie? Might have to watch this tonight.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s great. Looks amazing too. Really underrated.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Guillermus posted:

This is what Grayson in Bulletstorm meant with "I'll kill your dick!"

loving lol I was thinking about this game the other day, and every single time that line is what comes to mind.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Escape Goat posted:

I remember not buying one because “psssh. I just bought this square 50” tv and it will be great forever”
Retro-bit prism stuff is good though. Spendy but not original cable spendy. Cheaper to buy a Wii with a component cable still.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

In a just world Ready Player One would have been directed by Verhoeven after he angrily hurled the boook across the room

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

In a just world Ready Player One would have been directed by Verhoeven after he angrily hurled the boook across the room

It's what he did to the robocop script but then his wife picked it up, read it, and told him to lean into the parody and ultra violence in it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

drat that would have been loving great.

Beastie posted:

It's what he did to the robocop script but then his wife picked it up, read it, and told him to lean into the parody and ultra violence in it.

Was the Robocop script originally sincere or something?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

drat that would have been loving great.

Was the Robocop script originally sincere or something?

https://www.gamesradar.com/robocop-paul-verhoeven-interview-retrospective/

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Oh my god we almost got a Darren Aronofksy Robocop god daaammiit!!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

This thread made me rewatch Robocop, for the first time in 20 years or so. It was still fun! But not at all as violent as I was remembering. Pretty tame by today's standards, but I was just a kid when I watched back then.

The missus watched with me and she had never seen it before, she was laughing the entire time for some reason.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I also rewatched RoboCop last night. Game is going to be terrible though.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

This thread made me rewatch Robocop, for the first time in 20 years or so. It was still fun! But not at all as violent as I was remembering. Pretty tame by today's standards, but I was just a kid when I watched back then.

The missus watched with me and she had never seen it before, she was laughing the entire time for some reason.

The reason is that she's a keeper

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Yeah, Verhoeven was leaning heavily into the absurd comedy aspects when possible. Robocop is absolutely a dystopian sci-fi comedy.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man I wish I liked hi fi rush more. Love the music and style but the combat having to line up with the music feels messy (and I play a lot of DMC type games and rhythm games)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Beastie posted:

Just casually browsing the R/CollectingRetroGames subreddit, prices for old poo poo is insane. Folks are posting second hand stores that want $350 for a GameboySP.

I have a BC PS3 that I’m pretty sure can be sold for more than I bought it for

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man I wish I liked hi fi rush more. Love the music and style but the combat having to line up with the music feels messy (and I play a lot of DMC type games and rhythm games)

I like rhythm games a lot and gave it a good shot through the first boss, but it felt like I was basically playing a dressed up QTE game that I kept failing and getting frustrated with.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I finally watched that gameplay video of Suicide Squad and all I can say is "lmao", it looks loving shiiiiit

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I finally watched that gameplay video of Suicide Squad and all I can say is "lmao", it looks loving shiiiiit

It's Batman meets Agents of Mayhem and all of the characters do the exact same thing. The co-op is going to be meaningless bullshit.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Nuts and Gum posted:

Okay this is like the third time I’m downloading a 30gb update for Atomic Heart. I really enjoy the moment to moment combat, and the looting is like vampire survivor level crack, but the open world is so bad. A lot of it is the difficulty and the absolute worst map in game I’ve ever used.

Maybe after 100gb of updates they’ll make the font bigger tho!

Well I guess streaming via ultimate has its upsides! I was confused for a short while when the vending machines stopped being annoying. But I guess they got into trouble there?

Anyway I got way into the game. Even including the overworld. The difficulty was annoying at the beginning but helped convey a sense of dread. The rest was ‚git gud‘. But the map is pretty bad alright.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Beastie posted:

Yes but you're going to get completely destroyed.

You nearly scared me off but this turned out not to be true at all! And it's fun

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Douche4Sale posted:

I like rhythm games a lot and gave it a good shot through the first boss, but it felt like I was basically playing a dressed up QTE game that I kept failing and getting frustrated with.

That’s part of it. With rhythm games when you line up with the music it feels incredible, with DMC when you hit the flow state of destroying a ton of enemies while hitting SSS and vocals kick in you feel incredible. This felt like… the 2 different things rarely clicked together the way I wanted them to. I wonder if I’d like it more if I turned on auto assist lol

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That’s part of it. With rhythm games when you line up with the music it feels incredible, with DMC when you hit the flow state of destroying a ton of enemies while hitting SSS and vocals kick in you feel incredible. This felt like… the 2 different things rarely clicked together the way I wanted them to. I wonder if I’d like it more if I turned on auto assist lol
It absolutely does click and feels wonderful a bit later on as they tutorialize a lot of the more advanced mechanics over a number of levels. I would say stick with it for a while longer at least until you get the parries and partner attacks. I love both character action and rhythm games and Hi-Fi Rush was an incredibly fun amalgamation of the two for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I love the fact that you're going to kill Superman with bullets. I bet Lex Luthor feels like an rear end in a top hat now.