Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stravag posted:

Bitch im laughing harder now

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Joke's on them, my retirement plan is already "work until I drop dead".

Ditto.

If I’m lucky it’ll be more like “work part time on interesting projects” and less “I have to work at Walmart / grocery store to keep a roof over my head and gas in the car to run to the food bank”

But my mindset since I was 16 was that any safety net will be inadequate for me in my old age.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

haha yall think we'll get to get old

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

haha yall think we'll get to get old
Ah, I see you've found my retirement plan.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
In an early episode of the Rooster Teeth Podcast, Gus was talking about how shortly after they became a real company they had a retirement planner come in and give a talk. Gus told the planner that his retirement plan was to die at 40.

"What happens if you don't?"

"I dunno. Buy a shotgun?"

Gus is 45 now so I guess he changed his retirement plan.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Joke's on them, my retirement plan is already "work until I drop dead".

And I'm genX, if I'm that hosed, I can barely conceive how bad its going to get for younger generations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Solidarity to my fellow genX wage slaves. Work will set us free.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

For about 30 seconds, I was thinking "hmm... why are only the $250K deposits insured, how the gently caress do businesses handle banking?" I immediately snapped out of it once I thought about what banks would actually do with that deposited money if they knew there would be an inevitable federal takeover and bailout of all the companies with those accounts.

And that kind of poo poo couldn't be adequately preventative taxed. So here, have some broken braining:

https://twitter.com/Mateba_6/status/1634694563859251200

And the tweet with embedded video:

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1634679410245681153

looking into it

This and the jokes and photoshops after are one of the reasons I’m still on twitter. People will self-own on there until the place is fully gone.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/BrendanPedersen/status/1635044322692468736

Reading between the lines, this likely means that SVB probably didn't get a buyer, but there's likely enough on-hand to cover all of the depositors (but still likely gently caress over the investors/shareholders). Or, FDIC has a backstop from the Federal Reserve and they're all fine with printing the money.

I'll need a few more hours to come up with a solid opinion. This sounds like the edge of a bailout, but not quite, and they're making a lot of Federal Reserve money available to banks to prevent more bank runs for tomorrow and onwards. And it doesn't really fix the problem of these regional banks getting deregulated in the first place and VC bros having so much ability to kill things.

meh, I guess

also, Signature Bank, basically the one bank that was legally allowed to do crypto things in the USA, has officially been unwound and closed, so this is a definite net good:

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1635045477992517632

Edit: early opinion is still meh, VCs won and got a bailout funded by increased FDIC fees/taxes, but VCs are still hosed because their capital is toast due to the Fed's interest rates anyways. And the Fed's new loaning stuff is probably a solid way to stop bank failures due to a techbro rush.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 13, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I remember reading about how someone was selling a Koch brother $400k in counterfeit wine, and think of it whenever someone the term “victimless crime” comes up.

Dang it I looked it up and it’s dumber than I remember:

quote:

Con artists who foist fake wine on vulnerable collectors willing to pay huge sums for it have been a little nervous since Bill Koch got swindled. The billionaire member of the famous Koch family says he spent $35 million to find those responsible for the four bottles of wine supposedly owned by Thomas Jefferson that cost him $400,000…

…Koch found out the Jefferson bottles were fake when he had his private investigator check their provenance to prepare them for an exhibit. He then checked his entire collection and found he had purchased 400 other fakes over his collecting career.

quote:

"I just had to have them," Koch told "20/20" in an interview conducted in the elaborate wine cellar of his oceanfront mansion in Palm Beach, Florida. "Then I’d open it up and drink it and it was dish water or moose piss."

Koch admits there will be little sympathy for a wealthy person spending $50,000 to $100,000 for a fake bottle of wine, but he choked up as he described his distress at seeing the debasement of "the art, craftsmanship" of so many fine wines being faked.

quote:

Like all con men, Kurniawan made mistakes. He created a 1945 bottle of wine from a particular vineyard that the chateau that produced the real wine did not use until 1982.

Most glaring, Koch discovered that the label on one bottle supposedly from 1857, had been affixed with Elmer’s Glue. Elmer’s Glue was not produced until 1947.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
That sounds about right, the powerful will expend resources a hundredful over the harm a slight might cause, and it's still only the merest fraction of their wealth.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang it I looked it up and it’s dumber than I remember:

…Koch found out the Jefferson bottles were fake when he had his private investigator check their provenance to prepare them for an exhibit. He then checked his entire collection and found he had purchased 400 other fakes over his collecting career.

What this is saying, is there was a time you could go and sell this man a bottle of piss, claim it was a bottle of Millard Fillmores bathtub gin and make a cool quarter million? lol. lol I say

edit: I suppose this makes wine collecting the dumbest thing ever in my esteem, because apparently you can just sell this poo poo and no one would know til they drank some and potentially ruined the value.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 13, 2023

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Defenestrategy posted:

What this is saying, is there was a time you could go and sell this man a bottle of piss, claim it was a bottle of Millard Fillmores bathtub gin and make a cool quarter million? lol. lol I say

edit: I suppose this makes wine collecting the dumbest thing ever in my esteem, because apparently you can just sell this poo poo and no one would know til they drank some and potentially ruined the value.

Its even dumber if you look at the research. Price alone can make wine taste better, blind taste tests show expensive wines don't really fare any better than much cheaper wines. Also there's no guarantees it was stored properly. Chinese wine fraudsters are also able to replicate a taste profile and make it indistinguishable.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Why it was a bailout: Treasury (taxpayers) is on the ultimate hook if/when funding runs out
Why it's not a bailout: FDIC/feds have $100B on-hand because of the 2008 bank reform specifically for poo poo like this
Why it was a bailout: that fund is paid for by banks, which pass on the costs to anyone with a bank account
Why it's not a bailout: Depositors are 100% whole, equity/shareholders are 100% hosed
Why it's a bailout: zero major consequences for the VCs that got obvious sweetheart deals or the bankers that gave them

VC is forever now a bunch of welfare queen crybaby fake libertarians and never let them forget it. It's the one good side effect of the federal reserve rate increases that the VC money train just derailed and it was full of hazmat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Yeah, about that...

Print this out on poster board put it on one of those easels that members of Congress love.

You can’t tell me that life expectancy is lower now than it was in 1997 but also so high that it’s a critical problem. It was higher than it is now that for a solid quarter century.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Why it was a bailout: Treasury (taxpayers) is on the ultimate hook if/when funding runs out
Why it's not a bailout: FDIC/feds have $100B on-hand because of the 2008 bank reform specifically for poo poo like this
Why it was a bailout: that fund is paid for by banks, which pass on the costs to anyone with a bank account
Why it's not a bailout: Depositors are 100% whole, equity/shareholders are 100% hosed
Why it's a bailout: zero major consequences for the VCs that got obvious sweetheart deals or the bankers that gave them

VC is forever now a bunch of welfare queen crybaby fake libertarians and never let them forget it. It's the one good side effect of the federal reserve rate increases that the VC money train just derailed and it was full of hazmat.

There's a good quote circulating that "there are no libertarians in a bank run."

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Defenestrategy posted:

Yeah, kinda seems like part of the mistake was replacing it with terrible quality stuff he made himself that anyone could tell was off. If he’s grifting at that level why not get some $100 wine from Costco as the substitute? Still wouldn’t fool an expert but a plutocrat trying to show off would at least have something that tasted good and would feel less need to follow up.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stravag posted:

Bitch im laughing harder now

Where's that bender gif when you need it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, kinda seems like part of the mistake was replacing it with terrible quality stuff he made himself that anyone could tell was off. If he’s grifting at that level why not get some $100 wine from Costco as the substitute? Still wouldn’t fool an expert but a plutocrat trying to show off would at least have something that tasted good and would feel less need to follow up.

If you had the chance to make a koch drink moose piss would you waste your opportunity on sutter home

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1635200053496393728?t=S-MXHHwFjk8DLNtZgAHStg&s=19

Explains why the fed set up the loaning backstop because the midsize banks sure aren't going to be able to raise money by making more stock shares available :v:

Edit: oh hey, here's the quote

https://twitter.com/sonalibasak/status/1635263171807309824?t=TbOde6tGsr5DxweD21CBQQ&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 13, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1635200053496393728?t=S-MXHHwFjk8DLNtZgAHStg&s=19

Explains why the fed set up the loaning backstop because the midsize banks sure aren't going to be able to raise money by making more stock shares available :v:

Edit: oh hey, here's the quote

https://twitter.com/sonalibasak/status/1635263171807309824?t=TbOde6tGsr5DxweD21CBQQ&s=19

I am pretty sure at least one FT employee is a goon and possibly all of the Alphaville team. They linked to a forums thread sometime recently-maybe slenderman?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
the horse pasters are buying the farm

https://twitter.com/VICENews/status/1635258925133201410?t=UqZhnp18IOwE7OF3yazuWQ&s=19

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Wait, you mean taking dog medicine is a stupid loving idea?

Never would have guessed.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

some of those that work forces
eat a paste that's for horses

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

shame on an IGA posted:

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Did I open the August 2021 Current Events thread? WTF people are still doing that?!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hey I take fish pills every day, ain’t so different. Besides the fatalities.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Covids a parasite, a Chinese government conspiracy, and Fauci is a liar

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I am pretty sure at least one FT employee is a goon and possibly all of the Alphaville team. They linked to a forums thread sometime recently-maybe slenderman?

link FT article that is linking to SA?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Covfefe!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

shame on an IGA posted:

Hey, if you can’t google wtf you’re taking in TYOOL 2023, I dunno what to tell you

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ivermectin influencer? more like influenza :rip:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

:smugdon: has allegedly declined to testify in New York, which CNN seems to believe will cement that an indictment is coming.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Zamujasa posted:

ivermectin influencer? more like influenza :rip:

Iverfluencer.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lake of Methane posted:

Did I open the August 2021 Current Events thread? WTF people are still doing that?!

Dead guy had been taking wormer daily since 2012 to treat Lyme Disease (also off label)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
here lies danny, took horse wormer and paste away

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I know I shouldn't be shocked or surprised by this anymore, but even after Biden made the pledge to have no more oil drilling on federal lands, it's seriously loving disappointing that his administration just approved one of the largest drilling projects on Arctic land.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In less depressing current events, the tesla semis bought by pepsi are basically useless, can only tow loads of chips for a fraction of the claimed mileage, and there have been eight instances already of the trucks requiring a tow.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I really hope that leaves a market hole for competently made electric semis instead of poisoning the market.

There will be a role for diesel until 2075, but urban delivery is not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

I really hope that leaves a market hole for competently made electric semis instead of poisoning the market.

There will be a role for diesel until 2075, but urban delivery is not one of them.

Postal office is buying 10k e-transits, so it's not all bad.

E-transits actually don't have amazing range because they had to shoe-horn a battery onto a frame that was made for other stuff, but still, that's some gasoline off the roads.