Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Ok which one of you is Richard
Also it's Flamin Hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Moral hazards are for thee, not for me , bail out our industry that shits the bed every 15 years

15 is generous, theres been at least 3 crashes in the 21st century

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a once in a lifetime event that keeps happening every few years.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

I’m imagining a scenario similar to the ‘ghost trains’ run on quiet lines, where the government will charter a dingy to chug across the channel once daily so they can claim they haven’t solved the problem yet and therefore can’t open up other asylum opportunities

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Donut posted:

Ok which one of you is Richard
Also it's Flamin Hot

It just is pickled onion and anyone who says otherwise is just benign deliberately contrarian to seem like a more interesting person than they actually are

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Monster Munch really aren't worth arguing about.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

forkboy84 posted:

Monster Munch really aren't worth arguing about.

It's this.

Everyone knows scampi n lemon nik naks are the one true snack.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Fiona Bruce refuge chat:
Refuge made excuses for her. I'm one of many who commented under their tweet that it was unacceptable.
I have a close relative who was battered for years and every time it was 20 mins of 'ill report it to the police' followed by 'i must have done something to deserve it followed by 'but I love him' shortly followed by said brute bringing her a soppy card and bunch of flowers 'see how much I love you the way you make me feel'. All sweetness and light til a few days later when it would be another kick in the stomach, push down the stairs, cigs stubbed on her arms. Her brothers rescued her a few times but she kept going back. She wasn't even dependent on him for a roof over her head other than he kept stealing her mortgage money to buy drugs.
If you've not been there or close to it you cannot understand why women (and some men) keep going back for it.
Grrr. I feel strongly on this topic. And I have a hyper sensitive control freak detector and am extremely allergic to overly romantic gestures such as big bunches of flowers and cards with red satin padded hearts on them.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Answers Me posted:

I’m imagining a scenario similar to the ‘ghost trains’ run on quiet lines, where the government will charter a dingy to chug across the channel once daily so they can claim they haven’t solved the problem yet and therefore can’t open up other asylum opportunities

Either that or they send one Border Force cutter into Calais once a month, at 2am with 12 hours' notice, with details posted in the Dover local paper and some 16th tier of the .gov website and the cutter stays on a secure pontoon for 10 minutes before it leaves...and that's the Secure, Safe, Legal Route for asylum seekers and if they don't take it they can turn the gunboats on them and enslave the survivors.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Aphex- posted:

It's this.

Everyone knows scampi n lemon nik naks are the one true snack.

Not even the best Nik Nak flavour, smdh

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

You know there's bound to be a few minor costs associated with encouraging innovation in the fintech/VC/crypto space, the benefits far outweigh them. You'd understand if you were a techbro threatened with a 2% loss in net worth

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I mean with the current state of the NHS, it's not unreasonable to assume your average person's lifespan has collapsed to the point that the statement becomes true :unsmith:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Fiona Bruce refuge chat:
Refuge made excuses for her. I'm one of many who commented under their tweet that it was unacceptable.

Two bits - the first bit, the context without judgement or opinion, was fine. Some folks won't have known what it was about. The second bit, where the perpetrator's friends opinions were shared, was bullshit.

Anyone worth their salt knows a broken nose isn't the first incident of domestic abuse. The presenter's ignorance or clumsiness isn't an excuse either.

I spend almost all my working day overhearing my wife comfort victims over the phone, try to convince them it's not their fault, try to advocate for them in a lovely system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I get this inexplicable feeling that celebrity or governmental ambassadors for things actually do not know anything about the subject and it is a do-nothing job for money or clout.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Loonytoad Quack posted:

[*]It causes significant cashflow issues for smaller business as you can return cans anywhere. So If I buy several slabs of beer from Tesco, I can take them back to the local tiny indie and they have to give me the cash back, then wait several months to be able to reclaim it.

To be fair, in a vacuum this is good. I have experience of Michigan's bottle recycling scheme and you have to return any given thing to where you bought it from, which is a right pain in the arse if you ever shop in more than one place because half your bottles get rejected by the machine.

That said if you're at all not-broke you probably just don't bother taking them all the way to the supermarket and waiting in line for the recycling machine to get your 10c a bottle and instead put it in your dumpster, at which point homeless people go round and hoover them up and recycle them. Which is a) good for the environment and b) a stealth redistributive tax, so I'm definitely in favour of the general idea.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why would the money not just be transferred from whoever is running the project to whoever is returning the cans and bottles? I assume it's all going to be cashless and via one of those recycle machines, so they could do it all with blockchain standard transfers or allow you do donate it to a charity.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guava, please do not say ideas like that out loud. Bitcoin enabled bottle recycling centers is absolutely a thing that would not only happen, but make some little poo poo millions via an app while becoming a replacement for the welfare system.

Athelthral
Apr 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Why would the money not just be transferred from whoever is running the project to whoever is returning the cans and bottles? I assume it's all going to be cashless and via one of those recycle machines, so they could do it all with blockchain standard transfers or allow you do donate it to a charity.

Every retailer selling drinks in Scotland is required to be a return point for the scheme. For the vast majority of them a reverse vending machine isn't practical so that will have to mean taking containers back over the counter and storing them.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1635280112672477184

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Two bits - the first bit, the context without judgement or opinion, was fine. Some folks won't have known what it was about. The second bit, where the perpetrator's friends opinions were shared, was bullshit.

Anyone worth their salt knows a broken nose isn't the first incident of domestic abuse. The presenter's ignorance or clumsiness isn't an excuse either.

I spend almost all my working day overhearing my wife comfort victims over the phone, try to convince them it's not their fault, try to advocate for them in a lovely system.

The bit where she states "It was a one-off" was the worst.

Heard people say she had to say that for legal reasons, as otherwise "calling him a wife-beater suggests it's a routine thing" but it still seems ridiculous to me.
How many times do you have to hit your wife before you're allowed to be called a wife beater?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Athelthral posted:

Every retailer selling drinks in Scotland is required to be a return point for the scheme. For the vast majority of them a reverse vending machine isn't practical so that will have to mean taking containers back over the counter and storing them.

Back when irn bru bottles were still returnable, pretty much every chip shop near me had signs up saying you couldn't return more than a couple of bottles at once because if they didn't then they'd get people coming in with entire crates of them and effectively getting to buy a supper without needing to hand over any money. To which, fair play to people for bringing them but it's going to be ridiculous for retailers even aside from the horrendous mechanics involved for drinks manufacturers and the consequences of people taking their tins down to England on the train or whatever.

Edit: Has anyone involved with the scheme explained why they're doing this, rather than investing in better on-street recycling? Or is the assumption that people who don't currently recycle things will do so due to getting 20p back on each container?

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 13, 2023

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

feedmegin posted:

To be fair, in a vacuum this is good. I have experience of Michigan's bottle recycling scheme and you have to return any given thing to where you bought it from, which is a right pain in the arse if you ever shop in more than one place because half your bottles get rejected by the machine.

That said if you're at all not-broke you probably just don't bother taking them all the way to the supermarket and waiting in line for the recycling machine to get your 10c a bottle and instead put it in your dumpster, at which point homeless people go round and hoover them up and recycle them. Which is a) good for the environment and b) a stealth redistributive tax, so I'm definitely in favour of the general idea.

Something like this has been in action in Finland for a long time. Take your bottles/cans to a machine in a shop, it prints a receipt for you which you hand to the cashier to get either cash or deduct it from your purchases. You see people gathering bottles and cans at festivals and parks in summer, it does a part to keep green spaces tidy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Yeah what the hell is wrong with people who want to take cans and bottles to somewhere else than the machine? Do they want to interact with a clerk who slowly counts the bottles and maybe comments on your drinking habit? All the while a cue gathers behind their back? Do such people exist?

Lidl has a fun surprise with some of their German brand sodas which are not in the general recycling system and can only be returned to a Lidl. This is annoying when you go to any other store and find couple of Lidl bottles that you will either have to carry back home or abandon there.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tough on Boats, Tough on the Causes of Boats

https://twitter.com/uklabour/status/1635324274985832448?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

I like the part where it says "criminal smuggler gangs" presumably to hit enough buzzwords and make sure people don't think they're talking about some legitimate smuggler gangs

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I like the part where it says "criminal smuggler gangs" presumably to hit enough buzzwords and make sure people don't think they're talking about some legitimate smuggler gangs

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1405874241514442754?s=20

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I'm so afraid of SMALL BOATS

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

They really are just a poo poo version of the tories now. Is that their whole strategy? Copy the tories, hope they continue to gently caress it up. No sense in trying to be different.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know that it's strategy as much as a lot of them just want tory policies and are happy to take the opportunity to push them while seeming like the "more reasonable" choice.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gary-glitter-jail-dark-web-b2299550.html

Gary Glitter is back in jail for very boomerishly attempting to access CSAM.

quote:

Gary Glitter has been filmed using a smartphone and appearing to enquire about the dark web.

A video filmed by another prisoner at his bail hostel and obtained by The Sun on Sunday shows Glitter - real name Paul Gadd - appearing to reference search engines that protect user’s privacy.

He says: “Shall I get rid of this duck duck?”

An unknown person replies: “Yeah, I wouldn’t bother using that if I were you.”

Glitter then says: “So what do I do next, then? Let’s try and find this onion. One step at a time.”

It is thought that Glitter, 78, was referring to DuckDuckGo, a search engine that claims to protect users’ privacy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

People use the Dark Web for nefarious purposes. Why else would you want to be on there?

I mean I really doubt that Glitter was leaving an anonymous tip for a whistleblower or accessing DIY HRT in a state that denies his existence or searching for human rights or scientific content that is blocked by his government, but to uncritically suggest that there's no legitimate uses at all is a bad look for the Independent, especially with the so called online safety bill.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The icing on the cake. Another plastic labour face (is there a cloning factory somewhere?)

This very morning:

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1635184281667665922?s=20

They will continue the policy, Labourites have serious questions ahead.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Yeah what the hell is wrong with people who want to take cans and bottles to somewhere else than the machine? Do they want to interact with a clerk who slowly counts the bottles and maybe comments on your drinking habit? All the while a cue gathers behind their back? Do such people exist?

I know this isn't related, but thought I would share
Back when I was a kid there was a virtual homeless guy in our town, lived out in the woods, his own shack.
He was in his 60s at least, talked in grunts, not sure what mental problems he had, but he was just totally detached from the world around him.
Also back then you should hand empty glass and milk bottles for 10p or whatever.
And he would bring in these to get himself food and drink, to the only one shop that would serve him. And it was mostly a pint of milk or loaf of bread.
Which was our nearest shop so would see him a lot.
When they phased out handing in the bottles in the 90s, the kind shopkeeper, a total gent, would still take his bottles and keep him fed.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Back when irn bru bottles were still returnable, pretty much every chip shop near me had signs up saying you couldn't return more than a couple of bottles at once because if they didn't then they'd get people coming in with entire crates of them and effectively getting to buy a supper without needing to hand over any money. To which, fair play to people for bringing them but it's going to be ridiculous for retailers even aside from the horrendous mechanics involved for drinks manufacturers and the consequences of people taking their tins down to England on the train or whatever.

When I was wee (late '80s) a semi-common activity for us weans was to rummage around in the bushes near bus stops, find as many empty Irn Bru/Red Kola/etc. bottles as we could, then take them round to RS McColls to exchange for money, which we then immediately spent on sweets.

I'm mildly curious why they stopped all that in the first place, and now it's some kind of point of contention.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lineker is about to get the full Corbyn treatment

https://twitter.com/jakewsimons/status/1635213617879732225?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

IOF have shot quite a few Palestinian footballers (seriously injured or killed) over the years.
Just a complete load of UKLFI bollox as ever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Everyone who disagrees with the government is now in Hamas.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1635374984800489474

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
and you know what else walkers are poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

if i was on the bbc and the little man in my ear piece told me to defend bojo's abusive daddy

i would simply not say the things because i don't want to say them

they might sack me but i'd be on the bbc so i'd be rich anyway