Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I'm not saying it isn't real. Just that whoever wrote that pitch did it in a hilariously generic and formulaic way. To the point that it might as well have been written by a robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
He's going the Dristance
He's going for speed

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Regretfully so yes. I got it from my alumni FB group, though admittedly I convinced myself it was a bit until I looked it up.

Edit: oh phew I was worried 24/7 global drone surveillance couldn't be a reality

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 13, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

tractor fanatic posted:

The whole theory of the FDIC is you don't need to know if your bank is risky (unless you have 250k+). You pick your bank based on service or convenience or location, and security and risk doesn't appear in that equation at all

And if you have 250k+ in cash and you're sitting it in a bank account instead of putting almost all of it in to actual investments you are legitimately bad at money management. That guy who has 50+ bank accounts with 250k in it is basically slowly burning their money. Though if they are smart enough to not have any outstanding debt then it doesn't matter in the end because he and his (grand)children are financially secure for life.

Most banks will also send you investment mailers in addition to the flood of credit card pre-approvals if you have a bunch of cash in an account with them because they want you to invest through them if/when you realize that leaving a lot of cash in a bank account is a terrible ROI and actively loses you money over time (your bank's interest rate is far below inflation).

Having a drone follow you recording/streaming a view of you could have its uses but the odds are heavily in favor of abusing that, like stalkers using them on victims while posing as the victim when requesting it. Using them at protests would give you some evidence to use against copaganda but I wouldn't trust a startup in those cases over activists recording and uploading the video themselves.

Putting on a VR headset and exploring an area remotely sounds boring as hell unless the area in question is lethal to you and the only viable option. Like, it's cool to see shows about deep sea exploration and such but it doesn't hold a candle to actually scuba diving or event snorkeling.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Having a drone follow you recording/streaming a view of you could have its uses but the odds are heavily in favor of abusing that, like stalkers using them on victims while posing as the victim when requesting it.

On the plus side it's a great way to get funding from the Sauds.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Having a drone follow you recording/streaming a view of you could have its uses but the odds are heavily in favor of abusing that, like stalkers using them on victims while posing as the victim when requesting it. Using them at protests would give you some evidence to use against copaganda but I wouldn't trust a startup in those cases over activists recording and uploading the video themselves.
Good news! They have solved any privacy concerns. From the FAQ:

quote:

How do you deal with privacy concerns?

Drisit will allow property owners to create geofences that prevent Drisit flights from entering into restricted airspace, protecting their privacy.
https://www.drisit.com/copy-2-of-home-2

lmao the URL

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

Drisit do'Urden is the self-insert Mary Sue of one R.A. Salvatore, and is a Drow elf Ranger in the Forgotten Realms

:chloe: Jesus Christ, and the worst is the name has been butchered so much that this is a plausible transliteration.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't worry, their FAQ says they've anticipated privacy concerns and have put in place measures to deal with such violations!

FAQ

quote:

How do you deal with privacy concerns?
Drisit will allow property owners to create geofences that prevent Drisit flights from entering into restricted airspace, protecting their privacy.

Yes, that's the entire policy. Aside from being woefully insufficient (as it wouldn't cover things like outdoor surveillance), notice also that it's opt-out rather than opt-in - the platform assumes by default that it can fly over your property, and you have to go tell them directly if you want to block that. Same as AI art and other recent tech messes - they assume that they have access to all your poo poo, and it's on you to make yourself an exception.

The whole website reeks of desperation, though. It's impossible to tell which services they actually offer right now and which ones are speculative stuff they might offer later, they just put up every random thought that crosses their mind that might inspire someone to talk to their salesperson.

For example, their 4x your money back guarantee, which says that if your Drisit subscription doesn't bring a 4x return* on what you spend on it, they'll pay you** cash to make up the difference***.

* they get to define "return", and include a number of poorly-qualifiable metrics designed to stretch the definition of "return" to the limit

** they reserve the right to nullify this clause if you don't follow their Best Practices Guide, which includes things like using it every single day, having weekly calls with their staff, allowing their staff to inspect your premises, and a bunch of other burdensome and annoying conditions that they'll make it easy for you to mess up on

*** taking advantage of this offer means being forever banned from their platform. you have to cancel your subscription in order to invoke this guarantee, and they don't let ex-customers back onto the platform

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Drisit do'Urden is the self-insert Mary Sue of one R.A. Salvatore, and is a Drow elf Ranger in the Forgotten Realms

Drizzt isn’t a self-insert Mary Sue. The actual story is even funnier: Salvatore was trying to pitch a trilogy about a barbarian (Wulfgar) in the icy north wastes of nowhere (Icewind Dale) and it went over like a lead balloon. So Salvatore started blurting out Drizzt, whose character traits are just a collection of poo poo from the most recent D&D rulebook (Unearthed Arcana), and the executives bit. “He’s got a friend - a drow! And his drow friend dual wields two swords!”

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Evil Fluffy posted:

And if you have 250k+ in cash and you're sitting it in a bank account instead of putting almost all of it in to actual investments you are legitimately bad at money management. That guy who has 50+ bank accounts with 250k in it is basically slowly burning their money. Though if they are smart enough to not have any outstanding debt then it doesn't matter in the end because he and his (grand)children are financially secure for life.

Most banks will also send you investment mailers in addition to the flood of credit card pre-approvals if you have a bunch of cash in an account with them because they want you to invest through them if/when you realize that leaving a lot of cash in a bank account is a terrible ROI and actively loses you money over time (your bank's interest rate is far below inflation).

How is it so implausible that businesses need to make spend more than 250k at once? A single payday at a startup with 50 people can easily be 250k. Sometimes you need to pay taxes, put down down payments, pay contractors, etc. 250k is not a lot of money, especially for a hardware startup

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The assumption is that a business has the resources to do due diligence, as does someone with more than 250k in the bank, to make sure their finances are sound. A lot of the immediate pressure seems to just be payroll companies losing any money in transit over the weekend which is such a niche issue that I can see it being missed by regulation until now.

Arivia posted:

Drizzt isn’t a self-insert Mary Sue. The actual story is even funnier: Salvatore was trying to pitch a trilogy about a barbarian (Wulfgar) in the icy north wastes of nowhere (Icewind Dale) and it went over like a lead balloon. So Salvatore started blurting out Drizzt, whose character traits are just a collection of poo poo from the most recent D&D rulebook (Unearthed Arcana), and the executives bit. “He’s got a friend - a drow! And his drow friend dual wields two swords!”

Drizzle Dour'den was unironically cool and innovative when he first came out before everyone started copying him.

Salvatore even rolled with it in a later novel where he had another Drow protagonist just pretend to be Drip'it so he could freely travel on the surface without getting lynched.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Morrow posted:

The assumption is that a business has the resources to do due diligence, as does someone with more than 250k in the bank, to make sure their finances are sound.

That frankly strikes me as unreasonable and inefficient. A company making tableware IMHO should be expected to understand forks and dishes, not bank balance sheets... and it would make more sense to examine each bank once by, say, experts at the regulator, rather than expect every business with 10 employees to contract an expert on the banking sector periodically!

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Its not like every dollar that is over $250k dissapears into​ the​ aether. Companies can survive possible few percentage point haircut, or whatever the average loss has been. FDIC is a insurance, meant for stabilizing the system, not a 100% guaranteed permission for banks to wild with risk.

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 13, 2023

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

HolHorsejob posted:

How is it so implausible that businesses need to make spend more than 250k at once? A single payday at a startup with 50 people can easily be 250k. Sometimes you need to pay taxes, put down down payments, pay contractors, etc. 250k is not a lot of money, especially for a hardware startup

As a business you don't need to make sure that you won't lose a cent in the event of bank failure, just that you've hedged the risk appropriately. This could be as simple as having a single other bank, short term low risk investments that can be liquidated easily, purchasing insurance above $250K, going with banks that have more regulatory requirements, or probably a million other things. If nothing exceptional had happened here and only $250K was returned this morning, probably the lions share of money would have gotten to companies, just more slowly. Taking $1MM from your $10MM A round and putting it somewhere else probably would have been plenty.

Startups if anything should take more caution with this sort of thing (or VCs should do it for them) since with normal companies you're not lighting money on fire with no revenue to show for it, and so you have a lot less overall risk (and a lot more opportunity to survive something like this with a bridge loan) when you have a positive cashflow so any problems are only temporary.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arivia posted:

I heard it was literally his own D&D character at the time, much like how the OG Dragonlance books started.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
YCombinator is eliminating their late-state startup fund, laying off a number of people in the process.

https://twitter.com/KateClarkTweets/status/1635379688809062402
https://www.ycombinator.com/blog/changes-at-yc/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

I heard it was literally his own D&D character at the time, much like how the OG Dragonlance books started.

It's theoretically possible, but I've never heard that part. The bit about the Dragonlance characters is half-correct: the main characters in the chronicles trilogy were originally pre-generated to be provided to be played with the adventure modules of the same plotline (which came first.) The way the players played those pregenerated characters in the playtesting greatly influenced their portrayals in the novels. In particular, Terry Phillips looked at Raistlin the wizard with his pitful 3 CON and made him the hacking, physically all-but-dead wizard with a terrible sarcastic wit everyone came to love to hate.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

nah he's written in the foreward to one of the collected volumes about how it was literally him spitballing poo poo to get his Wulfgar story published as stated above

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arivia posted:

Not feeling that great about the double-digit number of Salvatore books I had as a teenager.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not feeling that great about the double-digit number of Salvatore books I had as a teenager.

i can beat you: i still collect them as an adult

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arivia posted:

i can beat you: i still collect them as an adult

While we both delicately play down the involvement in any of this, is Gauntlgrym worth reading? I stopped right before that one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

While we both delicately play down the involvement in any of this, is Gauntlgrym worth reading? I stopped right before that one.

I have no idea. I haven't read any of them since the end of the hunter's blades trilogy, which I will unironically recommend to anyone reading this conversation if you want a fantasy trilogy featuring orcs who a) are people b) don't suck and c) aren't from warcraft. I collect them for reference for running Forgotten Realms D&D games.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oh right, people can play D&D with those. :v:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

*Tugs collar nervously, shoves overflowing box labelled "TSR crap" behind the couch.*

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've read several long articles, seen a few documentaries and watched a few dramas that get into the cause of the 2008 crash and I still don't loving understand it.

But the common refrain I hear in social settings is always "the government forced banks to give loans to people that couldn't afford it" and it's always from some CHUD type so I have my doubts that it's that simple.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Not forced. Allowed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm not going to begrudge anyone reading or collecting D&D stuff going 30 years back, although when I passed two full crates to a friend instead of lugging them from apartment to apartment, my life got better.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Name Change posted:

I'm not going to begrudge anyone reading or collecting D&D stuff going 30 years back, although when I passed two full crates to a friend instead of lugging them from apartment to apartment, my life got better.

two full crates? that's babytown i have two full bookcases

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
What does this non-bailout bailout mean for the future? The FDIC will back all bank deposits without limit. Does that mean it's open season for risk taking with bank deposits? Aren't banks supposed to have limits on what they can do with deposits though? Will it affect business behavior, eg taking huge sums out of markets to put into (now) risk free interest-bearing bank accounts? Even if this particular facility is time limited (is it even?) it sets a precedent. I know jack poo poo about banking regulation but this seems like it will create huge second and third order effects. Or maybe it won't because investors and bondholders and executives are being wiped out?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Arivia posted:

two full crates? that's babytown i have two full bookcases

Someone else can absolutely never read my Dragonlance cookbook that was itself handed down to me, is all I'm saying.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Magic Underwear posted:

I know jack poo poo about banking regulation but this seems like it will create huge second and third order effects. Or maybe it won't because investors and bondholders and executives are being wiped out?

As a fellow not-bank-knower I’m also quite curious to see some professional takes on this, some real wonk stuff, but I have no idea where to start. Any finance goons with recommendations on whose takes are going to be worth reading?

Name Change posted:

Someone else can absolutely never read my Dragonlance cookbook that was itself handed down to me, is all I'm saying.

The recipe in there for Otik’s Spice-Fried Potatoes is legit pretty good, can recommend.

Also: it is my obligation to inform the thread that the one time we see the name pronounced phonetically, it’s pronounced “Drisst,” so this drone company is either basing its name on something else, or it’s Doing It Wrong :colbert:

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Magic Underwear posted:

What does this non-bailout bailout mean for the future? The FDIC will back all bank deposits without limit. Does that mean it's open season for risk taking with bank deposits? Aren't banks supposed to have limits on what they can do with deposits though? Will it affect business behavior, eg taking huge sums out of markets to put into (now) risk free interest-bearing bank accounts? Even if this particular facility is time limited (is it even?) it sets a precedent. I know jack poo poo about banking regulation but this seems like it will create huge second and third order effects. Or maybe it won't because investors and bondholders and executives are being wiped out?

I think the biggest impact is that by establishing some new "liquidity shop" banks will have less worry about having to hold a fire sale when some meme inspires a bank run.

I don't think anyone ever said "Banks are too risky to hold my huge sums, so I'll just put it into the market." Maybe it will offer a bit of reassurance to that non-too big to fail banks can survive a run?

One question I have: It sounds like the bank _was_ doing extremely safe stuff with the money. The bank put money from an 0.5% savings account into some 2% mortgage fund or whatever. But the mortgage fund was not liquid, and today nobody wants to buy that 2% mortgage fund when they could get a 6% (all numbers are made up), so the fund ended up being hard to sell.
Was the bank actually breaking any reserve rules, or was the issue more that the bank never had to pass any stress test?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Name Change posted:

Also recommending the gingerbread cake from Gilthanas if it's in the one you've got.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think the biggest impact is that by establishing some new "liquidity shop" banks will have less worry about having to hold a fire sale when some meme inspires a bank run.

I don't think anyone ever said "Banks are too risky to hold my huge sums, so I'll just put it into the market." Maybe it will offer a bit of reassurance to that non-too big to fail banks can survive a run?

One question I have: It sounds like the bank _was_ doing extremely safe stuff with the money. The bank put money from an 0.5% savings account into some 2% mortgage fund or whatever. But the mortgage fund was not liquid, and today nobody wants to buy that 2% mortgage fund when they could get a 6% (all numbers are made up), so the fund ended up being hard to sell.
Was the bank actually breaking any reserve rules, or was the issue more that the bank never had to pass any stress test?

the bonds SVB owned were liquid, they just traded at a substantial discount. like if you try to sell a $100 bond paying 2% interest, when new bonds are paying 5%, someone will buy that off you, just not at face value. maybe you could get (making this up) $80 for it. this led to the bank run - basically the market value of the bonds didn't look hot, people grew concerned that the bank didn't have enough money to cover deposits, took their money out, etc.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Name Change posted:

Our son now plays with our hand-me-down dice and AD&D books. I don't think he uses the leaflets-inna-box.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Magic Underwear posted:

Executives/shareholders/debtholders have all been killed in this, yeah. The backstop is happening because the problem ended up being smaller than anticipated, small enough to solve without government money, apparently. The future consequences of this are that we're going to see at least a few smaller banks fail, and then maybe some new regulation to slightly tighten up things.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kestral posted:

As a fellow not-bank-knower I’m also quite curious to see some professional takes on this, some real wonk stuff, but I have no idea where to start. Any finance goons with recommendations on whose takes are going to be worth reading?

Start with Matt Levine's column/newsletter on Bloomberg. https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/authors/ARbTQlRLRjE/matthew-s-levine

StumblyWumbly posted:

The bank lobbied to be exempted from some stress tests at an earlier point, and the jury is kind-of out on the firm, formal, final why, but this is likely the closest answer, since a top-20 bank failing is ultimately a black eye to the regulator.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I had every Dragonlance novel (roughly 115 books at the time) until one came out where it was literally (and I do mean literally), a beat by beat copy paste of Seven Samurai.
100% immediately killed my interest in reading another one ever again, and I gave them all to Goodwill.

(I still have my signed third edition copy of the sourcebook that came out at Origins 2003 though)

Name Change posted:

I made a fish soup from that book

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

nah he's written in the foreward to one of the collected volumes about how it was literally him spitballing poo poo to get his Wulfgar story published as stated above

Long ago I was working in a bookstore that was a stop on the TSR Silver Anniversary tour. And they brought him in to do a book signing. He had to repeat to people a lot that no, Drizzt wasn't his PC. After the signing portion, he hung around with a bunch of staff and fans. During which he started listing all of the ways to kill Drizzt in the Icewind Dale (I or II I forget which) expansion for Baldur's Gate, and take his stuff. It became clear quickly that he had murdered the poo poo out of Drizzt in the game. I forget exactly how many ways he rattled off but it was in the low double digits.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think there might be a niche for college campuses. User summons the drone to escort them home. There might be some logistics issues with charging and demand. It's certainly not something I'd want a start up controlling and probably best if even campus security gets after the fact access to the footage. Maybe a group of volunteers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Magic Underwear posted:

The FDIC doesn't back all balances without limit.
It only guarantees balances below 250k. For bigger non-FDIC-insured balances at a failed bank like SVB, it will just try its best to make everyone involved whole. In this specific case it succeeded, because SVB's assets really were worth enough to pay back the deposits. (Presumably they found a buyer or something but they haven't released a specific statement saying what they actually did yet.)
That's not a guarantee that they will do the same thing in the future.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 14, 2023