Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, such cheating on that original Ideas submission. The roof tiles and front stairs are just not pushed down all the way to “create texture”. Lego designer just said f- that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Did Gandalf the Chicken Slayer make it into the final version

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Having built it, I definitely prefer the original Ideas submission’s trees. The final product ones aren’t bad, but they look a little weird and sparse if you don’t have the branch angles just right.

They were right to give each tree multiple shades of leaves though, that’s the one improvement.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

HootTheOwl posted:

When dealing with the 4x4 turntable piece, why does it provide friction and click sometimes but other times the round piece ontop of it will spin freely?

The 4x4 round brick that's designed to go with that turntable has a little nub on the inside that fits the notches on the outer ring of the turntable, giving the friction and clicking. Every other part that goes with it (eg 4x4 round plate) does not. As for why that is? I don't know, it would be useful to have a plate that you could click into a specific angle.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

bird with big dick posted:

Did Gandalf the Chicken Slayer make it into the final version

He did not, which is a drat shame. Each 18+ set should feature a random old guy with a knife rubber banded to him.

Delorean? Old guy with a knife in the trunk. Wildflower Bouquet? Old guy with a knife hanging onto larkspur. BTS Dynamite? Old guy with a knife in the ice cream store.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

The 4x4 round brick that's designed to go with that turntable has a little nub on the inside that fits the notches on the outer ring of the turntable, giving the friction and clicking. Every other part that goes with it (eg 4x4 round plate) does not. As for why that is? I don't know, it would be useful to have a plate that you could click into a specific angle.
Thank you.
Huh, that's weird.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Those JP sets are cool but it’s a little weird that the raptor set is from babby’s first Lego line. What exactly is the overlap between (ostensibly) kids and fans of a 30 year old movie? I would have much rathered a big gently caress off pen for raptors but oh well.

The visitors center is a huge disappointment. I mean I’ll still buy it but I would have liked a big modular style set that also included the control bunker, kitchen, embryo storage, and Mr Dna ride. I know we got three of those in the first retro set but boy was that a measley rear end garbage set.

Oh well, I don’t expect we’re getting much more, they got most of the big moments but it would be nice to get a midi gate set for people who missed out on the UCS one though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Zwille posted:

You can apparently modify the 911 Porsche (okay, completely rebuild) into a Countach with working doors if that’s your thing :eng101:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-82416/firas_legocars/10295-lamborghini-countach/

(Idk if there’s other instructions, this is just the first I found)
That owns.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Out of the JP stuff, last years T-Rex Breakout looks like the one we’ll get. I dig fun dioramas like that. This years selection doesn’t appeal as much.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

bloodysabbath posted:

Those JP sets are cool but it’s a little weird that the raptor set is from babby’s first Lego line. What exactly is the overlap between (ostensibly) kids and fans of a 30 year old movie? I would have much rathered a big gently caress off pen for raptors but oh well.

Hits both the kid and the parent who is paying for it, I suppose?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Slashrat posted:

Hits both the kid and the parent who is paying for it, I suppose?

I guess so, but whoo boy 137 pieces for $40 is a new low for Lego, even given the overall higher prices with this line.

Also the only way to get Muldoon... clever girl. To quote the bloodsucking lawyer, "We can charge whatever we want! People will pay it!"

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

bloodysabbath posted:

To quote the bloodsucking lawyer, "We can charge whatever we want! People will pay it!"

Maybe they'll have a coupon day.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

bloodysabbath posted:

I guess so, but whoo boy 137 pieces for $40 is a new low for Lego, even given the overall higher prices with this line.
maybe you could just consider it $30 for a custom limited edition dinosaur with studs on it and $10 for 136 pieces

at that price you're practically losing money by not buying it!!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

bloodysabbath posted:

Kids like dinosaurs op

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

boxen posted:

Maybe they'll have a coupon day.

lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Though seeing that 911 mod makes me a bit mad I didn't get the GT3RS when I saw the Stratos mod lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My gt3rs is still in the box. Maybe I should realize the gains on my investment and sell it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
lego megathread:

bloodysabbath posted:

a huge disappointment. I mean I’ll still buy it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The general rule of thumb is, if there's a set you're at least fairly interested in that's going into retirement it just makes sense to buy it yeah? There's an expensive one I can't really justify to myself, but I'm seeing no stock anywhere at retail price bar one place and I feel I need to pull the trigger. If I keep it in the mailing box and I change my mind, I feel I can always sell it on with only a small chance of losing money.

Alas the other rule of thumb I've been following is to buy any of the cheap-y sets I see at a discount, and now I've gone from having no interest in Speed Champions to having 5 of the things in the space of a weekend. And maybe two more in a cart.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Zwille posted:

You can apparently modify the 911 Porsche (okay, completely rebuild) into a Countach with working doors if that’s your thing :eng101:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-82416/firas_legocars/10295-lamborghini-countach/

(Idk if there’s other instructions, this is just the first I found)
A couple folks on Reddit have built this, if you want to see some firsthand impressions and pics. Incidentally, both of them opted to mod it with a different rear spoiler design from someone on YouTube.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/105qywy/finished_up_the_moc_lamborghini_countach_build_by/

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/u2kjm7/alternate_build_of_set_10295_porsche_911_by_firas/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

My gt3rs is still in the box. Maybe I should realize the gains on my investment and sell it.
I bid $1!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

bloodysabbath posted:

The visitors center is a huge disappointment. I mean I’ll still buy it but I would have liked a big modular style set that also included the control bunker, kitchen, embryo storage, and Mr Dna ride. I know we got three of those in the first retro set but boy was that a measley rear end garbage set.

Oh well, I don’t expect we’re getting much more, they got most of the big moments but it would be nice to get a midi gate set for people who missed out on the UCS one though.

They have a ton of lego tv shows aimed at kids (my kid) - lego city, lego jurassic world, lego friends, etc as well as ninjago.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo, I just looked up recent sales on Bricklink and this thing has nearly tripled in value since I bought it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had one of the older speed champions porsches in a box and I ran a garage sale last fall, I sold it for $50 and that is with the goon discount. The prices on bricklink were even higher.

Pretty steep price increase but I think that's normal for lines like this.. people sleep on them when they're new because they figure lego will grow tired of them but speed champions has only gotten more popular as time goes on. The aftermarket prices tend to reflect that as the completionists get on board.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo, I just looked up recent sales on Bricklink and this thing has nearly tripled in value since I bought it.
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I regret not buying one of the lime green knockoff 911s and building it as the Stratos.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do they not sell the knockoffs of it anymore?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Cojawfee posted:

The used car market is insane right now.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I turned my 911 into the firas_legocars Ford GT40 a while back and it's really freaking good. The build process isn't *quite* on par with the 911 itself (a phenomenal build and display set on it's own), some of the steps feel a little bit weird and there are some gaps in the end, but all of the parts put down in a step are bordered in red so it's fairly easy to figure everything out. The angles are fantastic, the engine compartment opens and has a strut to keep it open. It's still pretty flabbergasting that Firas was able to make so many authentic body shapes from one kit. It's not the Countach, but everything I've seen or heard has said the two have very similar build quality and display factor.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-104861/firas_legocars/10295-ford-gt40/#details

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

The used car market is insane right now.
Cojawfee's is new! :haw:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

this thread ftw

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

The general rule of thumb is, if there's a set you're at least fairly interested in that's going into retirement it just makes sense to buy it yeah? There's an expensive one I can't really justify to myself, but I'm seeing no stock anywhere at retail price bar one place and I feel I need to pull the trigger. If I keep it in the mailing box and I change my mind, I feel I can always sell it on with only a small chance of losing money.

Alas the other rule of thumb I've been following is to buy any of the cheap-y sets I see at a discount, and now I've gone from having no interest in Speed Champions to having 5 of the things in the space of a weekend. And maybe two more in a cart.

Yeah this is the thought process I had behind getting the NES set. Honestly more for the TV than the NES itself (although the cartridge loader on the NES is a cute design, if flawed and requires a quick fix). Also planning on eventually doing a MOC where I replace the World 1-1 scroll with old CRT TV static/whitenoise.

That said the only sets I'm looking at getting in the coming year are the Typewriter and the Meji Castle architecture set. Finally burned through about everything that I really care for, although the Speed Champions stuff is insanely tempting from a price per part perspective. The McClaren is especially tempting because of need for speed nostalgia, even though the one in need for speed 2: special edition was a different model lol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I ended up stumping up for it, it was the Assembly Square and I’m sure the availability will pick up again I just wanted to secure one. It’s definitely staying in the box til I 100% know I’m gonna do it, but it looks so fun I can see that happening.

The NES just looks so ridiculously great. When I first saw the video it felt like every 10 seconds they were blowing my mind with another feature.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I ended up stumping up for it, it was the Assembly Square and I’m sure the availability will pick up again I just wanted to secure one. It’s definitely staying in the box til I 100% know I’m gonna do it, but it looks so fun I can see that happening.

The NES just looks so ridiculously great. When I first saw the video it felt like every 10 seconds they were blowing my mind with another feature.

it makes me feel all the worse for the atari set which just looks like a big missed opportunity. the set as a whole still looks nice, but the features/price point/techniques all just don't feel that interesting and are flawed (there's no locking mech for the hidden 'scene' so it'll just spill out if tilted).

i hope they do more stuff like this though, the CRT TV looks really great. i'd love to see their take on a vintage radio or turntable. think i might have posted some MOCs of that earlier in this thread. shouldn't complain too much cause it does feel like this is the golden age of lego taking advantage of weird techniques to produce some really creative stuff you wouldn't initially associate with lego

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Oh drat, the new Fresnel lens piece is available on PAB. $0.87 for clear, $1.07 for light blue, way cheaper than I was expecting. Design ID: 1942.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I was pretty thrilled by the Pagani Utopia set, but in my heart of hearts, I wish they had chosen the Zonda instead. So I made one!

This is way, way outside my comfort zone of American muscle, and I personally found it extremely challenging. The limitations of 6-wide really rear their head, but also made it a hell of an engaging challenge to try to figure out. All kinds of wacky techniques and connections here. Sadly, this is my first car that doesn't fit a minifig. I really tried, but it's just way too short.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Carbohydrates posted:

I was pretty thrilled by the Pagani Utopia set, but in my heart of hearts, I wish they had chosen the Zonda instead. So I made one!

This is way, way outside my comfort zone of American muscle, and I personally found it extremely challenging. The limitations of 6-wide really rear their head, but also made it a hell of an engaging challenge to try to figure out. All kinds of wacky techniques and connections here. Sadly, this is my first car that doesn't fit a minifig. I really tried, but it's just way too short.

Can you integrate the MF into the build? I mean, not make the build to fit the MF but actually build the MF in? Perhaps just the torso?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Waltzing Along posted:

Can you integrate the MF into the build? I mean, not make the build to fit the MF but actually build the MF in? Perhaps just the torso?
Oh for sure, a torso/arms/head fits fine with no issue. I did design it INTENDING to fit a fig, after all.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
To be fair, the Pagani doesn’t fit a minifig either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Will it fit the baby spaceman?