Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Salt Fish posted:

A proper bicycle should be totally silent except for the sound of the rubber on the road and also the extremely expensive bell you imported from japan. Ding ding!
but i paid good money for the CK burrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ride today was lots of fun, 60 km with 1000 meters of elevation. good group of buddies i havent seen a while, some fun shortcuts, a couple apres. rained right at the end, but it was on the way back into town. 5/5 would ride bikes again.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Guinness posted:

GK slicks were the most overhyped and disappointing tires, nothing but problems both tubed and tubeless for me.

Terravail Ramparts are what GKs wish they could be. Twice the price and less availability but will last at least twice as long and won’t puncture left and right.

this

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
As an update my 34mm corsa n.exts are still working pretty good. Have 700mi of winter riding on lovely debris covered roads and dirt so far. Pretty fast too.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bicievino posted:

Agreed, I just wish they weren't so fuckin heavy. Ridiculously chonk.

https://www.instagram.com/tairinwheels

Slightly lighter than Onyx Vespers...slightly.

Box Stealth hubs are lighter than Onyx too, but no roadie versions available.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

jamal posted:

As an update my 34mm corsa n.exts are still working pretty good. Have 700mi of winter riding on lovely debris covered roads and dirt so far. Pretty fast too.

I might give those a try after my challenge strada biancas give up the ghost.
I just swapped the rear after 3500km to a non handmade version and it feels exactly the same (which is to say, surprisingly fast in a straight line but iffy in wet corners). Don't see the reason to shell out for the fancy version if not racing on em. Went on way easier, too.

Bunny Fiesta
Apr 14, 2005

Bunny Fiesta posted:

I'm doing my first outdoor 100 km ride with a local randonneuring group this weekend! Thanks to everyone in the thread for advice, and telling me I'm planning on bringing too much stuff.

(I'm still going to bring too much, but not too too much.)

Baby's first 100k is in the books. It was both easier and harder than I thought it would be.

At the beginning I was so focused on riding with the group and not getting lost that I didn't eat or drink for the first 45 minutes, but I eventually remembered that food makes my legs go. Overall, everything felt really easy for the first two hours, and I had to keep checking my power to make sure I wasn't blowing myself up. During the last half of the ride, my power numbers and perceived difficulty matched up better.

After riding indoors so much I had apparently forgotten that wind exists, and that it can rain. It was still warm despite that, so the rain was mostly just an inconvenience. I also dropped my chain at one point and had to time trial my way back to the group. Lots of room to improve there.

And my crowning achievement: I managed to record the ride as an indoor activity on my head unit.

A+, would rando again.

(I did bring too much)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

imagine not having the loudest hub you can find lmao

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Bought one of those Varia lights on Friday... without realizing beforehand that the radar needs to be pretty high up on the seatpost in order to "see" past the back wheel (especially with a mudguard installed) which in turn means the light would get covered by my big saddle bag.
Hack: looped a "regular" Garmin mount through the logo on the saddle bag (Topeak Wedge Pack II Large).
I didn't dare attach the light itself yet for my first ride, but the mount held on good for the hours of riding I did over the weekend so it's probably going to be fine? I hope? Seems like the angle for the radar should be fine too like this.

jesus WEP posted:

I unironically think that a loud hub is a good thing, if only so people (whether they be pedestrians or other cyclists) are more likely to hear you coming.

Bunny Fiesta posted:

A+, would rando again.
:sickos:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I think the Varia Radar does an OK job with occlusion from the rear wheel. You can also try mounting it flipped upside down.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008
Does the full aero position on a TT bike typically feel very sketchy at first and take some time to get used to when you first try it, or am I a big old dumb scaredy-cat doofus?

Or perhaps both?

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Hoopy Frood posted:

Does the full aero position on a TT bike typically feel very sketchy at first and take some time to get used to when you first try it, or am I a big old dumb scaredy-cat doofus?

Or perhaps both?

It took me the best part of 6 months to get comfortable in the clip on bars on my road bike, and I'm still not great in crosswinds. I'd say unless there's something obviously wrong with your bike fit the best thing to do is just try to get into the aero position whenever you feel comfortable and don't feel bad about switching back to the horns/hoods. (I almost gave up on my dedicated TT bike because I just couldn't get comfortable on the aero bars but the solution there was pushing the saddle back a bit and raising the bars about 2cm with a spacer. I found Di2 gearing on the aero bars really helps too but that's an expensive fix).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

It has to be either the loudest possible or the quietest possible

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

jesus WEP posted:

my last Hunt wheelset had a hub so loud that after a year of giving myself a headache I went gently caress it and bought a Shimano C60 just so I could have some time off

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Vando posted:

my last Hunt wheelset had a hub so loud that after a year of giving myself a headache I went gently caress it and bought a Shimano C60 just so I could have some time off

Maybe try pedalling more and freewheeling less.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

wooger posted:

Maybe try pedalling more and freewheeling less.

you joke but I mysteriously became a big fan of flat TT efforts around then

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Angryhead posted:

Bought one of those Varia lights on Friday... without realizing beforehand that the radar needs to be pretty high up on the seatpost in order to "see" past the back wheel (especially with a mudguard installed) which in turn means the light would get covered by my big saddle bag.
Hack: looped a "regular" Garmin mount through the logo on the saddle bag (Topeak Wedge Pack II Large).
I didn't dare attach the light itself yet for my first ride, but the mount held on good for the hours of riding I did over the weekend so it's probably going to be fine? I hope? Seems like the angle for the radar should be fine too like this.

I unironically think that a loud hub is a good thing, if only so people (whether they be pedestrians or other cyclists) are more likely to hear you coming.

:sickos:

Depending on your saddle, you may be able to get a bolt-on mount for the varia that will place it more securely out behind your saddle bag. Shapeways has lots.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hoopy Frood posted:

Or perhaps both?

Handling will feel noticeably sketchy because your weight distribution is so much further over your front wheel. You'll get used to that.

Visibility in a full aero position will never get better, and frankly if you ever find yourself feeling like it's not sketchy you're either lying to yourself or not full aero.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Loud hubs save lives.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The biggest thing I miss about the summer bike is the hope angry bees

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Trying to decide on a power meter for my gravel bike.

Was going to grab Garmin Rally XC100 (SPD) pedals. Figured I might occasionally want to toss them on one of my mountain bikes, just for fun. But, it sounds like they have increased stack height over XT pedals and people complain about increased pedal strikes. I have enough trouble with that already.

Have Rival AXS on that bike. The Quarq BB/NDS arm power meter upgrade is only $270. Maybe I should go that way? Have only checked out DC Rainmaker's review so far and it wasn't promising.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I also got a bike with Rival so had a similar situation and went with the Quarq spider PM: https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/pm-axs-spdr-d1

It was almost as cheap as the Rival one at the moment I got it, seems like they can still be had for not so much more still.

It's double sided (though can't very accurately determine between left and right), although I think the prevailing wisdom is that doesn't matter too much. You would need to get a new chainring for 107 BCD though.

So far it's worked perfectly in any case.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Power2Max might also have a SRAM solution that would work. Would need to buy a new ring same as above.

Could do what GPLama did and use the favero mod of Shimano spd pedals.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've got Garmin Vector 3 pedals (Look Keo) that are dual sided and on average, I'm 50/50 plus or minus one. So, not too worried about single sided for the gravel bike.

Think I'll give the Rival PM a try and run it with my Vectors for a bit to see if there is a difference between them. Like some people report.

My main goal is pacing during gravel races. Don't think I mind if I have to shift my existing power zones a little.

dema fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 13, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I'm working up to a century, and just did my longest ride this past weekend at 70 miles (also longest time wise at around 5.5 hours of riding I think, though stops + travel made the day longer). Previous best was around 35 (though that had more climbing), so very happy this was doable, and while I'm not going to go for a long ride today, I do actually feel a bit sore but pretty good.

My takeaways (mostly for my own benefit I guess to think about what I learned for next time):

1 - I have no idea how to pace this stuff, but probably need to go faster if I'm going to do a century in a reasonable amount of time. I ended up doing the last 30 miles like 5 mph faster than the first 40, once I realized I didn't need to pace that slow in order to finish and that I would be finishing in the dark if I didn't speed it up. What is a good way to figure out pacing for longer rides? Maybe I can basically just use my average 70 mile pace as a guideline?

2 - It rained on and off, occasionally very hard, basically the entire time, and this actually really wasn't that bad. Jersey + bib + wind breaker gilet + bike gloves kept me warm enough even when it was low 50s, so I probably don't need to keep bringing any extra base layers.

3 - I had one protein bar for breakfast, and one during the first ~40 miles. After that I was super hungry and stopped for food/ate throughout the rest of it, and it turned out fine, but I definitely should start the eating earlier next time.

4 - I ended up solo after ~50 miles since it got so late, and right after that was definitely tough for a bit. Should definitely do a century non solo just for motivation I think.

5 - This had a decently sized gravel section (set a new high watermark for the amount of mud I can accumulate), and I should probably either get a bit bigger tires or lower pressure or something if I end up doing a long ride with a gravel bit again. Tried out a gravel bike for a bit of that and it was pretty night and day in terms of comfort. Mostly it was just kind of made it more tiring being bounced around I think. For first century purposes will probably just stick w/ pavement.

6 - After like 40 miles I would occasionally get some back tightness/weird feelings in my problematic knee. I started just doing quick stretch breaks for a little bit, and eventually that feeling stopped coming back and the last ~20 miles were super comfortable with one major exception.

7 - I don't want to typecast myself as the nips guy, but definitely doing a base layer or taping for anything longer; switching to a bib whose suspenders avoided the nips did eventually break down as a solution after like 5 hours biking in the rain.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Speed is often a worthless way to pace yourself due to elevation, wind, etc. Hence the above power meter discussion.

Protein bars are hard to digest. You want easy to digest carbs. My last ride, I had a PB&J on Wonder bread, a bag of Doritos and sugar in my water. Treated me well.

For knee issues, you may consider getting a bike fit. I personally have to do daily stretching to keep my knees and lower back happy. My hamstrings get super tight.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

tildes posted:

1 - I have no idea how to pace this stuff, but probably need to go faster if I'm going to do a century in a reasonable amount of time. I ended up doing the last 30 miles like 5 mph faster than the first 40, once I realized I didn't need to pace that slow in order to finish and that I would be finishing in the dark if I didn't speed it up. What is a good way to figure out pacing for longer rides? Maybe I can basically just use my average 70 mile pace as a guideline?

Some of it is just experience and knowing how your body feels as it tires, but a power meter can definitely help.

tildes posted:

2 - It rained on and off, occasionally very hard, basically the entire time, and this actually really wasn't that bad. Jersey + bib + wind breaker gilet + bike gloves kept me warm enough even when it was low 50s, so I probably don't need to keep bringing any extra base layers.

One thing to watch out for is you'll get cold very fast if you have to stop somewhere exposed to fix a flat. Once you're properly cold it can be almost impossible to warm up again, and cycling is especially bad for this because you can pedal hard to try and warm up but the faster you go the more windchill you get.

tildes posted:

7 - I don't want to typecast myself as the nips guy, but definitely doing a base layer or taping for anything longer; switching to a bib whose suspenders avoided the nips did eventually break down as a solution after like 5 hours biking in the rain.

I used to have terrible nipple bleed both running and cycling that eventually went away as I lost weight, but before then I found BodyGlide worked really well and washed out of clothes better than Vaseline (also better than blood).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

dema posted:

Protein bars are hard to digest. You want easy to digest carbs. My last ride, I had a PB&J on Wonder bread, a bag of Doritos and sugar in my water. Treated me well.

2nd this. Eat plenty of food for the 3 meals preceding the ride, specifically far bigger portions of carbs that you normally would.

On the ride you really don’t *need* anything but carbs, except for variation, or if you have issues digesting pure sugar.

I did a century yesterday and tried out the *super bottle* concept: 300g of maltodextrin & table sugar + electrolytes + a little lemon flavour dissolved in a single bottle (via boiling water in a jug the night before). And a bottle of plain water to wash it down with. That + a couple of bars, a sausage roll and eventually a caffeine pill and I was still flying at the end, so it works well for me.

Whether you eat real food or not, simple carbs should be most of what you eat.

tildes posted:

6 - After like 40 miles I would occasionally get some back tightness/weird feelings in my problematic knee. I started just doing quick stretch breaks for a little bit, and eventually that feeling stopped coming back and the last ~20 miles were super comfortable with one major exception.

Bike fit, or at least play with your position a bit.
Try to change hand positions every 20 minutes at least for a bit and stand up every so often to stretch and use slightly different muscles.

I find myself doing cat-cow yoga stretches while in the saddle if I can feel my back stiffening, seems to help.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Depending on your size / how hard you are working you want around 300 calories per hour of the simplest carbs you can tolerate. Protein is bad. Same for the meal prior to the ride.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ty for the tips!

I was thinking about a power meter anyways, so will definitely pick one up to better track things. I also definitely noticed some spots where I felt like I was just getting really tired, but actually looking back I was going up a long, subtle incline or in a headwind or something, so power would also help with that.

Makes sense re: food -- by the end I was mostly just eating straight candy, and that did feel pretty effective but definitely goes against all of my normal instincts re: my diet.

I'll also try the bodyglide. I think I'm not overweight, but am also losing a bit of weight anyways from now biking a bunch so maybe will let that continue to go for a bit and see if it helps as well. Definitely did not have issues w/ this when I was long distance running a bunch + very underweight.

re: knees, I've done a bike fit which definitely made things a lot better than they were, but have a followup adjustment in a month or so, so I'll definitely check in with them there and see if there are any fit adjustments to be made to help w/ the back pain (also should definitely be working more on shifting around the cockpit/standing up/in seat yoga etc - I think with how relatively flat this route was it maybe made me move around less).

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

A heart rate monitor is another (cheaper) way to figure out pacing that also translates a bit better into other activities that don’t have power meters (if you’re into that sorta thing). A power meter is better than speed as mentioned because it will better account for some variables like wind, etc; I like HR for this because it similarly better accounts for other variables that power doesn’t as well, like added fatigue and energy use due to rough / technical terrain, etc that don’t come through in power measurements

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Looking up a heart rate zone chart it I’d guess most people could maintain “moderate aerobic zone” (123-141 for me) over the duration of a century. I’d shoot for an HRM over a power meter on cost alone.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
For those doing ragbrai, what should I know if I just want to do the Ames to Des Moines day?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

ilkhan posted:

For those doing ragbrai, what should I know if I just want to do the Ames to Des Moines day?
As long as the weather isn't total crap then it's going to be busy as all hell. This counts for both bike and vehicle traffic. Plan your logistics ahead of time.

Otherwise, ride your bike and always stop whenever you see something interesting. You have all day to get the job done. No sense rushing it cuz you think you have somewhere to be. Any specific questions?

Oh! The cell towers often get overrun and bogged down. Might not be a problem Wednesday because of the location. You should have a plan for communication if that happens. Often I find the best way to eventually get through is with a good old fashion text message. SMS, not a fancy MMS message. SMS uses different technology and can get through better than something that travels over a data plan.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 14, 2023

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

vikingstrike posted:

Power2Max might also have a SRAM solution that would work. Would need to buy a new ring same as above.

Could do what GPLama did and use the favero mod of Shimano spd pedals.

Unfortunately P2M still doesn't have an 8-bolt DM spider for modern SRAM cranks.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You can also just go by feel. If you're worried about making it you should try to never be really working and breathing hard except for maybe on little short climbs. However you've been riding for 70 mi will be fine for longer distances. The main thing is making sure you're eating and drinking enough.

Today I rode almost 100mi and ate a clif bar, a lara bar, a twix, a couple of shot blocks, a honey waffle, most of a bag of candy. almost 4 big bottles with 3 that had maybe 100-150cal in them. Somewhere between 1000-1400cal total I think over about 5.5hrs, so maybe over 200/hr. Average HR 127 but generally in the 130s while actually pedaling and I think I hit the low end of threshold a couple of times. Then I stopped by the bike shop and had a few beers and a big chunk of a baguette.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone else going to do Ride the Hurricane this year?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
You don't need any devices to pace yourself. Agreed HRM is probably the best but the data it's feeding you can only be interpreted once you are in tune with your poo poo.

Ex. I can run an average of 160bpm for the full duration of a century and feel great at the end.
Knowing this, maybe I wouldn't want to go much higher than that, but it wouldn't do me any good just slapping it on and sticking to a number I found on the Internet.

Pay less attention to the numbers on your head unit and more to how you are feeling, particularly in your breathing. The data your gizmos collect is far more useful for post ride interpretation or for specific training exercises.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Me literally dying at 160bpm for 20min.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

LTHR 193 rise up