Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

mods pls rename to the yospos trek thread tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

NoneMoreNegative posted:

you hafta remember when these props were made they were going to be viewed on fuzzy SD vision tv broadcasts at best, they're going to have rough edges IRL - also when they do a remaster from a 4k film scan or similar and all of a sudden the bits of tape and screw-heads holding the set together are visible :o:

yeah, they maddeningly did not list where the props are from, just sometimes the years they were used. you can kind of infer it, but i'd rather not have to speculate

like the vulcan ear moulds, for example, are probably from first contact, but it's possible they also used them on enterprise. some of them aren't labeled at all, like the little black communicator. i know it's from a movie but idk which one specifically

paramount :argh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

look at the first few pages

always was

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

which one?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

not a complaint. i love trek talk

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
about 10 years ago I grudgingly came to accept that if you want to talk about science fiction in any online space you just have to accept that it comes with multi-page, multi-series, multi-day Star Trek digressions that can't be altered or redirected in any way. it just is what it's

I’m just thankful that none of my real life friends ever want to discuss Star Trek aside from the rare "was Ricardo Montalbon wearing a fake chest" discussion which, to be fair, is worth talking about

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i think, even in this thread, you can just post about the things you want to talk about and if other people want to post about them too, they will.

except japanese cartoons

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

we could discuss the other work of Ricardo Montalban, such as his role as Armando in Escape from the Planet of the Apes and also Conquest of the Planet of the Apes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he was perfect in fantasy island

a very stupid and surprisingly dark show, but fun and campy as hell

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

he was perfect in fantasy island

he really was, and i saw that before i ever saw wrath of khan

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hervé villechaize too

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i haven't seen that one. i have seen his episode of columbo, though, where he plays a murderous former bullfighter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you can watch it for free, you should. it's not really good and it's very much a product of the 70s, but sometimes that's fun

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

naturally, the modern remake sucked out loud for all the reasons these modern remakes do.

didn't work for the prisoner either

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don't think it was a fake chest btw, it moves too naturally for that, but I'd love to know what kind of decline dumbbell press regimen he was on to get that definition (though I’m sure it was helped by makeup)

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

he probably just didn't drink water for a month

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
ricardo montalban was also great in freakazoid

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

he'd do that anyway, you still need actual muscle to have definition

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

indigi posted:

I don't think it was a fake chest btw, it moves too naturally for that, but I'd love to know what kind of decline dumbbell press regimen he was on to get that definition (though I’m sure it was helped by makeup)

it wasn't (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Montalbán)

quote:

Director Nicholas Meyer replied that even in his sixties Montalbán, who had a vigorous training regimen, was "one strong cookie", and that his real chest was seen on film. Khan's costume was specifically designed to display Montalbán's physique.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

can't decide between the reps of khan or the girth of khan so you get both

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
trek chat is fine, but when it becomes ‘why are these new star treks so bad’ it’s less interesting because the answer is just that the creators don’t care.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

trek chat is fine, but when it becomes ‘why are these new star treks so bad’ it’s less interesting because the answer is just that the creators don’t care.
same for the new testament really

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

council of nicaea just doesn't get the bible, tbh

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/894767493998399489?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
they wrote, filmed, edited and broadcasted that, on television

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
every time it gets retweeted i watch the whole thing it’s incredible

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i cant believe they did all of that, on television

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i don't get what's so incredible, it's just the guy thinking. seems pretty boring to me

boring
boar
boer
tesla
edison
ELEPHANT!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
its eggs benedict cumberbitch acting smart because hes british or something. we get to see just how smart he is

i just cant believe they wrote and edited it on television. and then broadcasted it, also on television

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you can't do that on television

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Achmed Jones posted:

i don't get what's so incredible, it's just the guy thinking. seems pretty boring to me

boring
boar
boer
tesla
edison
ELEPHANT!
it's no black dynamite
https://youtu.be/2PSueHOY-Jk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's amazing how quickly the shine wore off sherlock

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

look beef if you don't wave your hands around throwing imaginary words when you're thinking i don't know what to say

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i should watch black dynamite again

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Achmed Jones posted:

look beef if you don't wave your hands around throwing imaginary words when you're thinking i don't know what to say

we dont all do this?? i thought everyone did this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

imagine, a look inside sherlock's fabled mind palace, on television!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

we dont all do this?? i thought everyone did this.

this is why you get a seat to yourself on the subway

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i can't believe the british broadcasting corporation would put something on television

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

it's amazing how quickly the shine wore off sherlock
I think really only the first episode was at all decent. It probably should have been a movie or something rather than a tv series.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

I think really only the first episode was at all decent. It probably should have been a movie or something rather than a tv series.

guy playing the cabbie was real good, and might have carried the thing