Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat May 21, 1916

Little Nemo in Slumberland, by Windsor McCay, is another one of the more important Comic Strips. Taking much of it's cues from McCay's previous strip, Dream of the Rarebit Fiend, where the character originated, the strip allowed McCay to experiment with the form, pacing, layout and timing of the medium, elevating it to an art form like few others have ever managed. Much like Harriman's Krazy Kat, Little Nemo influenced everything for other comic strip ad comic book creators to films to popular music, both songs and music videos, to video games. The collection I'm using was compiled by the curator of The Comic Strip Library from Little Nemo:1905 - 1914, and uploaded to the Internet Archive. The strip originally ran in the New York Herald from October 1905 to July 1911, when McCay moved to Hearst's New York American under the name In the Land of Wonderful Dreams, where the strip continued until July 1914. McCay would return to the Herald in 1924, where he revived the strip, under it's original name, until January 1927, when he returned to Hearst. Unfortunately I don't have access to this later run.

Little Nemo in Slumberland October 15, 1905

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Chickpeas own you fool.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Powered Descent posted:

A few of you use my little script to prep the comics you post here every day. But since I wrote it in bash, that means Windows users have to jump through a bunch of hoops (like WSL) to use it. But that's no longer necessary, since (with some assistance from ChatGPT) I've finally ported the script to PowerShell. Windows users, rejoice!

Brilliant work. But you had better not be insinuating that Tina's Groove is Bad.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Comic Strips 2023: Attacking With Feet!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 18, 1956)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/12/03

Brenda Starr 7/30/50

Spoilered for more Native American stereotype, but we're almost done with this story...

Smokey Stover 6/14/53

Everyday Movies 3/17/36

"I don't mind cleaning up after Mr. Smith when he's been drinking. I've swept up as high as 70 cents."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/26/41

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Scarlett, this invisibility power seems kinda lovely half the time

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
That's not steampunk at ALL Dethany.

Also chickpeas DO rule but are more fun if you call them garbanzo beans.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Good Listener posted:

That's not steampunk at ALL Dethany.
Unfortunately it's exactly the level of steampunk you'd expect from her.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

More like fogpunk

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

~Coxy posted:

Brilliant work. But you had better not be insinuating that Tina's Groove is Bad.

:tipshat: Thanks! (And nope, not throwing shade at any of them, just picked a few to serve as examples.)

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (April 19, 1935)

Peanuts (March 15, 1976)

Miss Peach (August 28, 1989)

Crankshaft

Yes, I do store my photos in a tree. A FILE TREE. :smug:

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 12, 1939)

Guest starring Mister Mind, on the look out for Captain Marvel.

Out Our Way (April 17-19, 1941)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

This is true. Also, the border collie has decided to be permanently human, and is married to the State Governor, according to the Wikipedia article.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

maltesh posted:

This is true. Also, the border collie has decided to be permanently human, and is married to the State Governor, according to the Wikipedia article.
For fucks sake :cripes:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

TIL the blonde blob is supposed to be a girl.

Modesty Blaise: The Green Eyed Monster

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
really steams my beans when the art in my cartoons isn't well-defined enough for me to be able to definitively make out the gender of twelve year olds

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

here you go, literally the first hit on Google:

Tekniikan Maailma doing a big winter review roundup of how electric cars work in Finland's winter conditions.
I would actually like to know about that. I'm not looking for a new car but I figure my next one may be electric and I've wondered for a while how they handle winter weather (not enough to look it up though).

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

I would actually like to know about that. I'm not looking for a new car but I figure my next one may be electric and I've wondered for a while how they handle winter weather (not enough to look it up though).

Here's a fantastic comprehensive intro to living with an EV, by the Technology Connections guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyp_X3mwE1w

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Did Jules forget that she literally already introduced this storyline? Did Mark get in his car, leave and come back after five minutes? :laffo:

The last Mark strip before the week of Cherry strips posted:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

somepartsareme posted:

really steams my beans when the art in my cartoons isn't well-defined enough for me to be able to definitively make out the gender of twelve year olds

Transmordiar says these tweens need more secondary sexual characteristics!

Alhazred posted:

Why doesn't she just quit? Every strip is about how miserable her job is.

I think the in-universe reason is that Trellis bought Dethany's father's company and will ruin him if Dethany quits. Normal reasons.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 13, 2023

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Powered Descent posted:

Here's a fantastic comprehensive intro to living with an EV, by the Technology Connections guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyp_X3mwE1w
Thanks! I don't know how I missed this one I love TC guy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol

After all the teasing of Phantom dying to save Savarna, it turns out he dies because his wife loving kills him for cheating in Mozz's prophecy

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

Why is Murikka looking intent on punching Virtanen first thing in the morning?? :iiam:

ANSU

I like the first one of these a bunch

Fingerpori

The English term works even better here than the Finnish one!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/30/50

Archie 10/14-16/46

Ah yes, the days when you just burned leaves in your back yard, possibly near the garage where you were storing your drum of gas.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

The English term works even better here than the Finnish one!

The backwards eyeballs on the dude in the front made me absolutely lose it.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Green Eyed Monster

I sense some lingering sour grapes over the failed Destroy Castro's Beard CIA project being worked out here.
You just know the Bandar have been saying poo poo like this to him for years and he never listens so they've become complete bitter about it. It's that stupid bodyglove - no earholes.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/26/41

God how did I live without Sunday Scarlet, these pack even more twists and turns than the weeklies.

I can only assume the governor is going to personally execute this innocent man.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Sexual Source Film Maker Collisions Noises Overheard From The Honeymoon Suite

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

somepartsareme posted:

the only reason i would say otherwise is because the kid in question likes a girl but doesn't want her mom to know she's gay yet? also there were the strips where she was trying to impress her crush without knowing if her crush liked girls or not.

i'm still trying to figure out if the girl with the heart on her face has that as a tattoo or she's a teen so it's a sticker.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Pretty Sure That Counts, But Okay

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Your first hint should have been "beloved son", Dustin.