Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

I have the Prime Trilogy on the Wii, should I play Prime 2 and 3 next or hold out for a remaster?
You should softmod your Wii, use CleanRip to dump your copy of Trilogy, and then play the Trilogy versions of Primes 2 & 3 on PrimeHack on your Steam Deck (or gaming PC I guess).

Xenomrph posted:

If I should play them, how easy is it to get a handle on the Wii controls?
Err wait you have a copy of Trilogy but haven't played even Prime 1 before? The controls are pretty consistent across the Trilogy titles. They're good for Wii-style motion control stuff.

It's better though on PrimeHack which gives you both dual-stick and keyboard+mouse controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Prime 2 gets points for being the one time I can think of where Samus is on a planet for an extended period of time and actually saves its inhabitants.

How many other Metroid games end with a local population cheering her on as a hero, rather than just piles of dead alien monsters or a cloud of debris in space like Alderaan?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Asterite34 posted:

Prime 2 gets points for being the one time I can think of where Samus is on a planet for an extended period of time and actually saves its inhabitants.
She does leave it ripe for both the Federation and Space Pirates to swoop in and take all the remaining phazon. I'm sure they'll be fine.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Err wait you have a copy of Trilogy but haven't played even Prime 1 before? The controls are pretty consistent across the Trilogy titles. They're good for Wii-style motion control stuff.

Nope, I got the steelbook trilogy collection for cheap back in the day with the knowledge that I should play them someday, and then never got around to it until now.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Prime 2 is also great for enabling this gif

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

He says, posting a png

E: lol fixed

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Nope, I got the steelbook trilogy collection for cheap back in the day with the knowledge that I should play them someday, and then never got around to it until now.
Was it when Best Buy clearanced them for $20? That's how I got mine.

I get where you're coming from though. I own a handful of Wii games that I either bounced off of or never got into due to motion controls or just simply that the Wii wasn't great anymore after I upgraded from a 13" CRT to an actual HDTV. I ripped them all years ago though so now I'm getting back into them through emulation.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ExcessBLarg! posted:

She does leave it ripe for both the Federation and Space Pirates to swoop in and take all the remaining phazon. I'm sure they'll be fine.

who do you think built the sci-fi fortress filled with killer robots? the moth people will gently caress up anyone who tries to mess with them.

also there’s a lore entry in Prime 3 that says they’re doing pretty well for themselves

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
prime 2 committed the unforgivable sin of having bottomless pits in a metroid game….imo the two initial standouts of the metroid series as a contrast with other platformers of the time are 1) you have to go to the right AND to the left, and 2) you also have to go up and down so if you fall down a hole then you are at the bottom of the hole now and have to get back up. so when prime 2 came out i was real mad that there were bottomless pits everywhere.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Was it when Best Buy clearanced them for $20? That's how I got mine.

Possibly? I can’t quite remember, it’s been a long time since I bought it.

Doesn’t it fetch a hefty price on the secondary market now?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I have the Prime Trilogy on the Wii, should I play Prime 2 and 3 next or hold out for a remaster?

If I should play them, how easy is it to get a handle on the Wii controls?

Also you guys weren’t lying when you said Hunters is a little rough on the hands, I’m really missing having dual stick controls.

We have no idea when or even if there will be remasters of Primes 2 & 3, so there's no point waiting. Apparently Retro made the remaster of Prime 1 ages ago and Nintendo has been sitting on it this whole time, but took over development of Prime 4 from the dev that was handling it before, so they haven't done any work on Prime 2 & 3, as far as we know.

If there's going to be a remaster of the next two, it'll probably be another studio and who knows if it'll have new assets up to the quality of the Prime 1 remaster, or even if it'll just be the games upscaled or something.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

scary ghost dog posted:

prime 2 committed the unforgivable sin of having bottomless pits in a metroid game….imo the two initial standouts of the metroid series as a contrast with other platformers of the time are 1) you have to go to the right AND to the left, and 2) you also have to go up and down so if you fall down a hole then you are at the bottom of the hole now and have to get back up. so when prime 2 came out i was real mad that there were bottomless pits everywhere.

Metroid 1 had pits that were impossible to get out of if you fell into them, those might as well be bottomless pits

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Augus posted:

Metroid 1 had pits that were impossible to get out of if you fell into them, those might as well be bottomless pits

thats literally the opposite of a bottomless pit that warps you back to where you fell in.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A pit that works you back to where you started is not one that I would call a bottomless pit. Usually that's things like the pits in Mario imo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CainFortea posted:

A pit that works you back to where you started is not one that I would call a bottomless pit. Usually that's things like the pits in Mario imo

youre splitting hairs. i think ive made my point

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

scary ghost dog posted:

thats literally the opposite of a bottomless pit that warps you back to where you fell in.

yeah because the pits in Metroid 1 suck rear end while the ones in Prime 2 are fine

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Bottomless pits are a similar principle to lava pools except you don't have to wade through hot sauce to ascend a stairwell of shame after screwing up a Grapple, so the pits win in my books

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
torvus bog > phendrana drifts

come at me prime 1 sheeple

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
unsubscribed

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The deep pits you fall into in the original metroid might as well be bottomless. Your only hope is to bomb jump out of them (a cruel joke)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Asterite34 posted:

How many other Metroid games end with a local population cheering her on as a hero, rather than just piles of dead alien monsters or a cloud of debris in space like Alderaan?

Is the joke that it's the only game set on a planet with a (still living) local population when Samus gets there?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Kassad posted:

Is the joke that it's the only game set on a planet with a (still living) local population when Samus gets there?

That, and also just that she has sort of a Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds thing going on with her life

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

youre splitting hairs. i think ive made my point

Not really. One kills you one doesn't.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I played Zero Mission yesterday all the way up to Ridley. It's a killer game, I love pretty much everything about it! The atmosphere is a perfect blend of the original Metroid and Super, the controls are really tight and the gameplay pacing is perfect so far.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kassad posted:

It isn't. Dread and Prime 3 both have living local populations.

(It doesn't go well for them.)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Samus saves the animals in Super Metroid :colbert:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

And Fusion!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think with the EJRTQ Colorization it's pretty darn good. (If not, I prefer the GBP palette/screen to the partial-colorization of the GBC.)

Going back to this, let’s say I have a modded 3DS with mGBA installed, can I play this? If so, how would I do it? Just… load the ROM? Or are there extra steps?

I was planning to skip Metroid 2 in lieu of playing Samus Returns but the more I read and watch about it the more convinced I am that I should play both Metroid 2 and Samus Returns.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I honestly think it looks fine in the original black and white and that that contributes to the foreboding atmosphere but I also might be a fanatic lol

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Like, I mean, I totally could play it in black and white (on original hardware if I wanted to go ultra authentic, I have an OG grey brick Game Boy and a Metroid 2 cart from when I was a kid) but I also have NSO so I could play it in color on my Switch too, and that romhack looks appealing on top of that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Going back to this, let’s say I have a modded 3DS with mGBA installed, can I play this? If so, how would I do it? Just… load the ROM? Or are there extra steps?
Go to this page, select the Metroid II ROM file, the colorization patch file, apply, and rename the result to a .gbc extension. Should load up in mGBA after that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Like, I mean, I totally could play it in black and white (on original hardware if I wanted to go ultra authentic, I have an OG grey brick Game Boy and a Metroid 2 cart from when I was a kid)
It's not great on the original DMG screen as there's too much ghosting. The Game Boy Pocket's screen isn't bad. An IPS modded GBC or GBA is pretty fantastic. I guess the Analogue Pocket would also be really good but I haven't seen one in person.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The ghosting is an integral part of the experience.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Augus posted:

I will never forgive samus returns

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
i have not played other m but even so i think i like it better than samus returns

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nikumatic posted:

i have not played other m but even so i think i like it better than samus returns

Haha, no. I understand why you might think so but you're going to just have to trust me on this one.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nikumatic posted:

Oh you sweet innocent Summer child...

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Nikumatic posted:

:stare:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Nikumatic posted:

you may change this opinion the first time you fire a missile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nikumatic posted:

Samus Returns has problems but like, Other M is REALLY bad.