Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I just beat the fashion police squad demo. This poo poo is amazing. How is this so good. How does it look so good. Fun stuff. Even the platforming sections are marginally less terrible than I expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Man, except the combat being better, I don't remember poo poo about Bioshock 2.

Its got a weird communist faith cult thing going on and a really cool shrine to the protagonist from the first game.

Nothing else exists

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
You play a big daddy in BioShock 2 and can use your drill arm and also get to walk on the ocean floor, which was a cool gimmick. I have more nostalgia for the first because the atmosphere was just so good, but it's hard to deny that 2 played better. I think the biggest issues people had with it at the time were that it came out too soon after the first, and looked a little samey from a distance.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Bioshock 2 did a good job of making you feel like a big badass by giving you bigger guns, letting you 1-hand them, and letting you frag tons of low-level mobs basically all the time. Great video game, lots of fun.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mordja posted:

why is everything piss yellow

that's dr. breen's private reserve

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

As good as Bioshock 2 is, the DLC Minerva's Den is probably the series highlight. Not coincidentally its also the one that Levine was least involved with.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that's really good too. they're dirt cheap on PC and always go on sale on console, well worth trying

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Bioshock 2 also sends you to the actually interesting parts of Rapture from an environmental storytelling perspective, instead of the dumb theme park locations Bioshock 1 is entirely set in.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The part in BioShock where you had to take snappies for pappy sucked serious poo poo.

This was the best moment in the game:

https://youtu.be/ynYUdrctiTc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Bioshock 2 also sends you to the actually interesting parts of Rapture from an environmental storytelling perspective, instead of the dumb theme park locations Bioshock 1 is entirely set in.

Yea! it actually feels like being in a city

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

drrockso20 posted:

Call me a huge sap but the "rescue all the Little Sisters" good ending still gets to me even after all these years

The fate of the Little Sisters could have been so much worse, but I get the image of this huge orphanage-like house filled with happy girls all going on to do bigger things and it's just great :3:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bioshock 2 is such a weird one for me, I remember thinking it was such a cash-grab when it came out but now the idea of a sequel taking three years to come out when you have yearly CoD games seems funny. I played it on PS3 and got it fairly cheap a month or so after launch because I don't think it sold very well and thought it was Ok but not as good as when I played 1 on PC. But going back to it since, it's really grown on me whereas 1 isn't as good as I remembered and Infinite seems sooo bad playing it now. weird series!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Doing the right thing really isn’t that hard so the choice is ultimately about if you want to be a jerk or not.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Bioshock 2 is such a weird one for me, I remember thinking it was such a cash-grab when it came out but now the idea of a sequel taking three years to come out when you have yearly CoD games seems funny. I played it on PS3 and got it fairly cheap a month or so after launch because I don't think it sold very well and thought it was Ok but not as good as when I played 1 on PC. But going back to it since, it's really grown on me whereas 1 isn't as good as I remembered and Infinite seems sooo bad playing it now. weird series!

Bioshock 2 definitely seemed like the same basic idea as Mario Galaxy 2. The first game was a huge hit, they had plenty of extra concept stuff lying around, just gotta tie it together into another saleable product.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
bioshock 2 doesn't look that different on the surface but the amount of improvements in the moment to moment gameplay is nuts

edit: all of this stuff popped up shortly after starting the game. even the research mechanic is better(should be completely gone but whaddya gonna do)

IronicDongz posted:

-use plasmids with free hand while simultaneously still using your weapon, so you don't have to switch back and forth constantly
-scroll through plasmids in either direction instead of either pausing the game to switch or using hotkeys for every single one on top of weapon hotkeys
-plasmids are better balanced, electro bolt not borderline mandatory because it's no longer required to hack robots
-hacking minigame is a lot less tedious, can be done at range with hack darts, and takes place in realtime which makes it more interesting in combat
-switching ammo types is much faster than normal reloading so it's not annoying to do, but saves the amount loaded per type so it doesn't let you skip reloads
-'trap rivets' don't affect you so you can use them aggressively, and you can pick them back up, both unlike trap bolts
-the melee weapon you'll be using a lot is a lot cooler
-food/drink items give a lot more health/eve and aren't useless by default
-the map isn't a confusing useless piece of poo poo when it comes to verticality, so you can actually turn off the big dumb quest arrow and navigate via the map for more immersion
-etc etc etc

and then they went and made bioshock infinite. lol

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 13, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bioshock 2 was made by a different studio, 2K Marin. They also developed The Bureau: XCOM Declassified before going the way of the dodo.

A couple people who worked on the Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den DLC went on to create the majestic first person madness of..... Gone Home.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Severed Steel dev has a new game in the works:

https://twitter.com/mattwla/status/1635296140177600518

All I want to know is will it have an absolutely fire dnb soundtrack like Severed Steel

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The problem with Bioshock 2 is the whole "left wing people are even worse than Libertarians" theme of the plot, it's the same poo poo that doomed Bioshock Infinite. Minerva's Den is great though, at least.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

All I want to know is will it have an absolutely fire dnb soundtrack like Severed Steel
There's a trailer on the linked Steam page that will decisively answer your question.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

Bioshock 2 was made by a different studio, 2K Marin. They also developed The Bureau: XCOM Declassified before going the way of the dodo.

A couple people who worked on the Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den DLC went on to create the majestic first person madness of..... Gone Home.
I got The Bureau at some point when Amazon was doing discounted Steam keys in SA Mart. Wanted to like it but it felt too derivative of other games of the time so I didn’t put much time into it. I’m going to try again some day.

I’ve only played each Bioshock game once. The first two on 360 and the last on PC. I have at least the first one on Steam but it would crash on start the one time I tried it and I didn’t want to play again that bad. Pretty sure that means I was gifted the remaster so maybe I’ll do the sometime.

They’re planning to do something new with the franchise in the coming years but I think it’s mostly been forgotten about.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Bureau is funny. It’s genuinely enjoyable to play through and only gets better the more you ignore your dipshit AI teammates and just annihilate everything with an overpowered pistol. Nearly every level ended with me getting 100+ kills while my teammates would get single digits.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Jason Schrier's Blood Sweat Pixels devotes multiple chapters to the clusterfuck that is 2K Games. Both the Ken Levine stuff (which is crazier than you think, somehow) and how The Bureau somehow kept chugging along in development hell.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Jason Schrier's Blood Sweat Pixels devotes multiple chapters to the clusterfuck that is 2K Games. Both the Ken Levine stuff (which is crazier than you think, somehow) and how The Bureau somehow kept chugging along in development hell.

Ooh, does it cover Gearbox much?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

Ooh, does it cover Gearbox much?
I kind of don’t think so. I think I’d of remembered now that Civvie’s disappointed “Randy *shudder” is burned into my brain forever.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I had more fun with The Bureau than I thought I would and the twist was actually Neat, but the moment it feels the game is really going somewhere it just tosses you into the end levels and that's it

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Apparently still lukewarm take: Bioshock 1 is fine.

Arivia posted:

it's literally a moral quandary just for the sake of having a moral quandary. if you don't kill any of the little sisters, the gifts you get left by them over time make up or exceed the ADAM you get from killing them. there's no actual cost to not doing the evil thing, except maybe if you needed the ADAM RIGHT NOW (and Bioshock isn't that hard).

Harvesting does still ultimately put you ahead, but only by some hundreds of Adam. Meanwhile the bonus gifts include exclusive plasmids and extra loot, so it's pretty much a wash unless you really need a full suite of level three plasmids.

Lemon-Lime posted:

And yet Bioshock 2 literally sends you through.a theme park. :colbert:

In all seriousness, I rank the first and second games as roughly equal. They cover each others' weaknesses pretty well.

The little sister sequence in 2 is rad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In a similar yin and yang fashion, I also like to compare The Bureau and Bioshock Infinite. Both slow motion trainwrecks in the making, yet one comes out the other side as surprisingly competent and fun if more clearly low-budget and the other one is an aggressively hyped giant budget clusterfuck.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
the bureau became a clusterfuck halfway through when it went from a 'strategic' squad shooter to a gears style cover shooter with braindead bots you have to babysit

still better than bioshock infinite

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I seem to recall there being some people mad that they were making an XCOM game into an action-ish game, and as a period piece. Same kind of people who are still upset that Fallout went to an FPS hybrid.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

I seem to recall there being some people mad that they were making an XCOM game into an action-ish game, and as a period piece.
This was before the Firaxis game was announced, so the initial reveal of XCOM’s Brave Resurrection as a Bioshock clone with what basically amounted to zombies instead of aliens, combined with some 2K exec deadpanning something along the lines of people not wanting to buy strategy games anymore, meant that it went down about as well as the Hindenburg.

That game got hit with the retooling stick HARD before it resurfaced as The Bureau, so clearly the contrast in reactions between that game’s reveal and the Firaxis game’s reveal spooked someone…

Pity the series is dead again, mind. The Marvel License Graveyard grows, and only continues to hunger.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
In addition to the huge letdown of The Bureau's reveal in a pre-XCOM world, I've just been thumbing through a few Bureau trailers in search of an early preview that I swear put a heavy emphasis on fighting the "Silacoids" (re: black goo), black goo zombified humans, and FLYING GEOMETRIC SHAPES (re: earliest version of the Titan) that immediately soured me on the whole thing. I wanted to use Tommy Guns and BARs to gun down bobble-headed greys and chrysalids in a Rockwell-esque suburbia; I'm not a fan of fighting blobs of goo and simple geometric shapes, you see.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 14, 2023

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In addition to the huge letdown of The Bureau's reveal in a pre-XCOM world, I've just been thumbing through a few Bureau trailers in search of an early preview that I swear put a heavy emphasis on fighting the "Silacoids" (re: black goo), black goo zombified humans, and FLYING GEOMETRIC SHAPES (re: earliest version of the Titan) that immediately soured me on the whole thing. I wanted to use Tommy Guns and BARs to gun down bobble-headed greys and chrysalids in a Rockwell-esque suburbia; I'm not a fan of fighting blobs of goo and simple geometric shapes, you see.

Yeah, that was the first trailer. I have to admit, I really liked that initial trailer, different as it was. I kinda want to play that game. But also, I totally get the reaction to that being the first X-Com in years, they should have announced the Firaxis game first.

I enjoyed what I played of The Bureau, but I never finished it. I got it on GOG, I need to get back to it some day.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Kins posted:

Pity the series is dead again, mind. The Marvel License Graveyard grows, and only continues to hunger.

Chimera Squad came out three years ago, that's not exactly dead.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think they're referring to firaxis' marvel game apparently bombing so that's not great for their future

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean if anything that doing bad would make them want to greenlight a guaranteed hit like XCOM 3

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A badly reviewed Avengers game is part of why there’s no new Deus Ex game in 7 years. Now another Marvel property poo poo the bed and wasted resources that could have been used elsewhere?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

A badly reviewed Avengers game is part of why there’s no new Deus Ex game in 7 years. Now another Marvel property poo poo the bed and wasted resources that could have been used elsewhere?

site posted:

i think they're referring to firaxis' marvel game apparently bombing so that's not great for their future
And also many of the creatives that led the series leaving Firaxis. It doesn’t bode especially well.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I picked up Midnight Suns during a sale as, despite finding Marvel mediocre-to-bad, I figured I'd be able to still enjoy it being a turn based strategy game by the XCOM devs.

I wasn't anticipating quite how bad everything around the otherwise pretty great battle systems would be. I know I wasn't going to get great writing in a Marvel game, but it's some sub-Saturday morning cartoon poo poo. Also there's a whole 'friendship' system for your ugly avatar to be friends with Iron Man etc that you have to engage with in a boring clubhouse.
This is all hidden after the fun battle tutorial section, but luckily I was still within the refund window when I got to it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVb4UnqO7A

I swear this just ended up turning into Prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Kins posted:

That game got hit with the retooling stick HARD before it resurfaced as The Bureau, so clearly the contrast in reactions between that game’s reveal and the Firaxis game’s reveal spooked someone…

There's actually a post-mortem out there about it. Allegedly the main reason for the retool was because none of the early ideas came together into an actual functional game (with a layer of mismanagement on top, mind). If I'm remembering right, the earliest version wasn't even a combat-centric game. You were an investigator creeping around trying to document and research the alien threat, which gels with the body snatcher black goo stuff.

Then came the more tactics-action hybrid shown in a lot of early gameplay footage. And then finally they just had to get the drat thing out the door so suddenly it was an action-tactics hybrid heavily aping off of the Mass Effect 2 model.