Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Danes only pronounce 0,3% of the letters in any word so they can't really pretend to speak any other language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreudianSlippers posted:

Danes only pronounce 0,3% of the letters in any word so they can't really pretend to speak any other language

i appreciate the conservative estimate, or as we say:  

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We've been on a scandinavian tv and film kick for the past year or so, and I just want to say how much I appreciate the danes for making french seem less bad.

quatre-vingt-dix-huit, meet halvtreds, thirty less than firs and ten less than treds.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

theres a latin expression we use in denmark for that: lecti lescul itorum, femi verum

The French say "kun pierasee niin lemuaa".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

halvtreds, thirty less than firs and ten less than treds.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah I only shop once a week, what of it?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Danes are just northern French:
-Lazy
-Day drunk
-Can't count
-Racist
-Clinging to their old colonial empire

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

FreudianSlippers posted:

Danes are just northern French:
-Lazy
-Day drunk
-Can't count
-Racist
-Clinging to their old colonial empire

Buddy that's everyone in Europe, and also the US by 2040

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I truly dread the day when America finally succumbs and becomes racist.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I truly dread the day when America finally succumbs and becomes racist.

I mean they can't day drink like euros yet, they gotta keep working on that

e: less assumptions

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

I was at a developers conference, and a group from NRK (the broadcasters of that sketch) had a talk. One of their developers happended to be a Dane.

Literally the first question from the audience was "How do you deal with hearing that joke several times a day?"

Turns out, he both likes the sketch, and was surprised no one mentioned it for weeks after he first started.

Apparently, the rest of the employees had been told very sternly not to make the reference if he did not do it first.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Offler posted:

If you go back a few months in this thread you can see a post I made about how people in Sweden came to regard both the informal and the formal 2nd person as too rude since everyone deserved to be addressed by their title at all times, leading to what linguists call The Swedish Title Mania from ca 1800-1940.

Thanks for mentioning this, I hadn't seen the post at the time and hot drat I love learning new insane things about Sweden.

Fighting Trousers posted:

I find it fascinating that in English, we did away with the *informal* you in our language, but now everyone assumes it must be formal because it's ~olde timey~, like Shakespeare.

Quoting a 3 month old post to add to this:

The formal "you" probably became ubiquitous in London and environs in part because people wanted to avoid giving offense in an urban environment where class and status was more uncertain than in smaller, more traditional communities, and once it became the thing in London it eventually became the only second person pronoun in active use. The thing that fascinates me in this process is how it probably had a not inconsiderable effect on how English speakers understood their relationship to God.

English translations of the Bible would tend to use thees and thous when dealing with the relationship between man and God (or man and Christ), since the informal second person made clear that there was an intimate personal relationship with the deity. Moreover, there was no distinction in pronoun formality made in the original Greek and Hebrew, so it was all thou (and ye, for plural cases). However, as "you" came to be the only actively-used second person pronoun, the thees and thous came to sound archaic, and therefore formal. Popular culture certainly must have contributed, with thee and thou littering any book where peasants address nobles or knights address the king. Eventually, instead of God seeming to be a caring, personal father, he instead appeared to be a lofty, distant lord. This seems to have been heightened during the 20th century, when several new translations of the Bible changed all second person pronouns to "you" except when making reference to God, creating an even greater emphasis on the idea that the proper relationship to the deity was to use honorifics and create a sense of separation. The most recent new translations are tending to go with "you" across the board, in part to get away from this distinctly modern, English implication.

Everything I've read on this has made passing reference to it as an interesting quirk, but I'd be curious if there have been any theological or anthropological discussions on it. I'm especially interested in the issue in modern American Protestantism, which places a heavy emphasis on everybody reading the Bible, since most of those who have done so were probably unfamiliar with the specific linguistic/publication history at play in the text. In any case, it's one of my favorite tangents in the evolution of the English language.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I mean they can't day drink like euros yet, they gotta keep working on that

I am not European, nor American.

But I will tell you that day drinking is the best drinking.

And to add related historical fun fact content, the best sport in the known universe, (Test Cricket), was invented largely to get around bullshit Sunday drinking laws in ye olde England.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Drinking at any time other than daytime is literally insane and unhealthy. "Oh I'll just ruin my night's sleep because some hosed-up weirdoes think 'day drinking' is somehow exceptional and bad beep boop!"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Drinking at any time other than daytime is literally insane and unhealthy. "Oh I'll just ruin my night's sleep because some hosed-up weirdoes think 'day drinking' is somehow exceptional and bad beep boop!"

I have a hunch that night time partying was popularised by people who slept during the day. Their depravity knew no bounds

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I have a hunch that night time partying was popularised by people who slept during the day. Their depravity knew no bounds

:guillotine:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Nessus posted:

By shedding this, English has freed itself of the burden of Proto Indo European, is what I’m getting here.

lol we still have ablaut from PIE which is even dumber.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Are you calling out siestas? I could always go for a quick nap after a good lunch and heck yeah if there is a party when it is not scorching hot out.

Sockington has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Mar 15, 2023

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sockington posted:

Are you calling out siestas? I could always got for a quick nap after a good lunch and heck yeah if there is party when it is not scorching hot out.

Siestas are awesome.

There is nothing grander anyone can do on a warm sunny day, than head out into the park, find a bench, lay a hat over one's eyes and have a nap just like a hobo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Siestas are awesome.

There is nothing grander anyone can do on a warm sunny day, than head out into the park, find a bench, lay a hat over one's eyes and have a nap just like a hobo.

:hmmyes: I once had a long enough layover in Sydney to leave the airport, hop on the train, ride downtown, have a beer, then go to the park next to the opera house and take a nap on the grass in the sun. Can you make a better way to spend a layover after 12 hours trapped in a tin can? Didn't think so.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

Are you calling out siestas? I could always got for a quick nap after a good lunch and heck yeah if there is party when it is not scorching hot out.

Buddy I live in the arctic. If I go to sleep I die and I'm insanely jealous of people who don't have to pay to be warm, of course I'm throwing shade

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do understand that there's basically entire genres of Japanese comedy built around the layers of politeness and deference to social status built into the language which are very difficult to translate, and involve things like speaking to a drunk hobo the way you'd speak to the Emperor or vice versa, and asking incredibly rude things in incredibly polite ways.

If you have ever seen any Downtown no Gaki no Tsukai ya Arahende! - The 24 hour No Laughing events are probably their most popular thing - the duo known as Downtown are exactly this.

Hitoshi Matsumoto the boke and Masatoshi Hamada the tsukkomi are a Manzai duo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzai

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Piss Creep posted:

If you have ever seen any Downtown no Gaki no Tsukai ya Arahende! - The 24 hour No Laughing events are probably their most popular thing - the duo known as Downtown are exactly this.

Hitoshi Matsumoto the boke and Masatoshi Hamada the tsukkomi are a Manzai duo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzai

I do get the feeling that it's like, the Japanese equivalent of acts like Abbott and Costello- and similarly, extremely difficult to effectively translate even when you're using the best stuff. (That said, like with many comedy staples, Who's On First absolutely has equivalents in every language ever spoken)

Though also reminds me (and forgive me if I mentioned this before itt) that apparently the reason Columbo is so crazy popular in Japan is because they already have a long tradition of detective/mystery stories on similar lines where you're shown/told the crime right at the start, and the rest of the story is about how the protagonist unravels it. Columbo being a fine example of the genre slotted right in.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Buddy I live in the arctic. If I go to sleep I die and I'm insanely jealous of people who don't have to pay to be warm, of course I'm throwing shade

I’m in the slightly warmer bit of :canada: myself, but I’m sure they would enjoy if you threw some shade up for their siesta. :v:

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
When my friend and I stayed in my granparents' apartment in La Manga, Spain in the late 90s we didn't realize how real the siesta was in other less touristy parts of Spain. One day we took the bus to Cartagena and arrived just at the start of the siesta, so the entire city center was completely empty, which sucked for us as we were already really hungry when we got on the bus. For two hours we could not find a single place that sold any kind of food except for a small bar where we eventually managed to convey that we were starving in our broken Spanish, so the one employee gave us some bread and olives.

That's my siesta story. It technically counts as historical now since it happened in the 90s.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

I’m in the slightly warmer bit of :canada: myself, but I’m sure they would enjoy if you threw some shade up for their siesta. :v:

Nooooo :jiggled:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Offler posted:

When my friend and I stayed in my granparents' apartment in La Manga, Spain in the late 90s we didn't realize how real the siesta was in other less touristy parts of Spain. One day we took the bus to Cartagena and arrived just at the start of the siesta, so the entire city center was completely empty, which sucked for us as we were already really hungry when we got on the bus. For two hours we could not find a single place that sold any kind of food except for a small bar where we eventually managed to convey that we were starving in our broken Spanish, so the one employee gave us some bread and olives.

That's my siesta story. It technically counts as historical now since it happened in the 90s.

Cartagenowned.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

hosed up they named a town in Spain after manga

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Biplane posted:

Dunno about manga but I heard anime is super popular among Latin people.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Biplane posted:

The real name is almost as odd as it translates to "the sleeve". Presumably because the whole thing is one long, thin peninsula that is just wide enough to build a bunch of large apartment buildings that Norwegians like my grandparents (and other Northern Europeans) can use to winter in. Beautiful place, but the whole town has an off artificial feeling since approximately 90% of the local economy is tourist based. The corner shop next to my grandparents' apartment block even sold Norwegian brown cheese.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

the siesta is a very real and wonderful cultural feature. and having spent sometime in the mediterranean during the summer, it's kinda necessary? like holy gently caress does venice suck on a sunny day in august between the hours of 12 and 15, what with the blinding sun everywhere and the heat and the canal smell. but after a nap in the early evening, it is everything you want it to be. i imagine spain to be much the same, except even hotter.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Yeah - I spent this past summer in Seville, Spain and the temperature frequently topped 40C/104F. It was absolutely brutal to be out on the street in the middle of the afternoon.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though also reminds me (and forgive me if I mentioned this before itt) that apparently the reason Columbo is so crazy popular in Japan is because they already have a long tradition of detective/mystery stories on similar lines where you're shown/told the crime right at the start, and the rest of the story is about how the protagonist unravels it. Columbo being a fine example of the genre slotted right in.

Some friends of mine have been watching Furuhata Ninzaburo, and yeah, the parallels with Columbo are extremely obvious.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

[https://www.newspapers.com/clip/121030485/truman-plays-piano/]

I didn't know Truman played piano!

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

This picture is moderately famous. Or was anyway.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

Recent posts reminded me of the time an English Professor put the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle to demonstrate to native English speakers a way of understanding how inflection matters.

I'm probably loving up the lesson, but the way it was said has stuck in my head ever since.

my grandmother used to say this all the time, usually after goofing up a word

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Magnus Berrføtt (Magnus Barefoot) is often considered the last viking king of Norway because he, unlike his father Olav Kyrre (Olav the Peaceful), waged many military campaigns. He waged so many wars that people even named him Styrjaldar-Magnus (War Magnus). When his people tried to tell him to chill out a bit he replied with "kings are made for honour, not for long life". He died in battle when he was thirty years old. He was also the first norwegian king to put a lion in the royal coat of arms and the last to die in battle abroad.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
My grandfather served on the USS Indiana (BB-58) in the Pacific theater and although he never talked about the war (he got drunk enough once and it was loving horrible), would tell me that he always ate dessert first because he figured if he could get blown up at any time and wanted something sweeet as his last bite.

When he got his service papers, or whatever, and found out he was being assigned to the Indiana his Dad freaked out and called the Governor (I guess he was a big deal?) and told him there was no way in hell his son was going to fight the IJN on a Spanish-American war era ship. It had been decommissioned earlier but I guess he never heard about it, still funny though.

I also have a box of his Navy papers somewhere in my Dad's attic, and I recall seeing a memo from the Captain along the lines of 'Singing about sodomy with boathooks and crap like that is unbecoming, cut it out'

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sleepy.eyes posted:

I also have a box of his Navy papers somewhere in my Dad's attic, and I recall seeing a memo from the Captain along the lines of 'Singing about sodomy with boathooks and crap like that is unbecoming, cut it out'

We found a document in my grand father's attic where the local police chief attested that he had not collaborated with the germans during the occupation of Norway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My grandad never did any military service whatsoever because he was a free man, unlike anyone in any military.

He was at times a farmer but mostly a fisherman and usually very poor and was old decades before his time from endless toil but at least he never bent his knee to any foreign power.