Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Bad call on the Apprentice tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
watching it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

watching it?

:hmmyes:

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

Yeah, that show had a lot of pleasantly surprising casting. Mon Mothma's husband being played by the guy from Monarch of the Glen for instance.

From ages ago but I think I got the best spot in this show. The bouncer of the club in the first episode was also the bouncer from the gay club/jury episode of Peep Show

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m going to need someone to stage an intervention because I seem to have become hopelessly addicted to comedy panel shows.

I was always aware they existed but never really sat down and watched one through until recently, and now I’m burning through twenty-odd years of back catalogue on a number of them.

There’s something about a slightly unhinged David Mitchell rant that makes my stress melt away, and QI appears to be the perfect long-haul flight time-killer so I’m extremely thankful these exist. Only working through QI / Would I Lie To You so far, and Countdown on my horizon once I feel like diversifying. Rest of my TV queue is suffering for it, but I..

just.. can’t.. stop :negative:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
wait til you go through Never Mind the Buzzcocks and Have I Got News For You

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's panel show adjacent but Taskmaster has been a hot property for a few years. ( Plus some of the better international versions; NZ, Aus, Norway...)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is the opposite of an intervention but I’m not saying stop :twisted:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just keep going deeper! This time next year, early Shooting Stars and They Think It’s All Over!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You do mean 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown and not just regular Countdown though, right

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I used to love panel shows but it's like they have an arsehole quota and must include at least one insufferable dickhead in every episode

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

I used to love panel shows but it's like they have an arsehole quota and must include at least one insufferable dickhead in every episode

With 8 Out of 10 Cats it’s the host

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I don't actually mind him to watch though I get why he'd get on people's nerves.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah absolutely the cats one. Basically I just follow Mitchell around panel shows and find fun new stuff to watch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Richard Ayoade is always great on them, especially when Noel Fielding is there too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I used to watch Have I Got News For You religiously until Corbyn and I realised that they didn't give a poo poo about making stuff better
Now I can't laugh at politics panel shows any more.

Taskmaster's still great though

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Panel shows really were the death of comedy. I’m glad the yanks don’t understand them.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Alan Davies utterly loving ruins QI for me, why they decided that he should be ever-present I’ll never understand

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Taear posted:

I used to watch Have I Got News For You religiously until Corbyn and I realised that they didn't give a poo poo about making stuff better
Now I can't laugh at politics panel shows any more.

Taskmaster's still great though

Yeah seeing the way all the nominally progressive panel show comedians closed ranks to legitimise the media's character assassination of corbyn really left a sour taste in my mouth and I've struggled to watch them since. I think Frankie Boyle was probably the biggest disappointment because it was obvious he didn't really believe it but was terrified of losing his comfy BBC gig. Bit ironic given he's a massive Scottish independence supporter but there we are.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

The_Doctor posted:

Richard Ayoade is always great on them, especially when Noel Fielding is there too.

Now he's got to watch Big Fat Quiz of the Year

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Who's been the longest stalwart of a panel show? Davies on QI or Jupitus on Buzzcocks? Merton/Hislop on HIGNFY?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

reality_groove posted:

Who's been the longest stalwart of a panel show? Davies on QI or Jupitus on Buzzcocks? Merton/Hislop on HIGNFY?

probably the remaining ISIHAC regulars if radio ones count

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kill All Cops posted:

Now he's got to watch Big Fat Quiz of the Year

Youtube randomly recommended me the 2004 episode. I was still a teenager back then, so I barely remembered any of the events (David Beckham's alleged propensity for extramarital anal sex didn't stay in my memory for two decades for some reason), but it was an interesting experience. Amazing how little has the show changed, in part thanks to Jimmy's plastic surgeons, and also how much has changed outside of the show.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

HopperUK posted:

TOYTV

sorry lol

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Also, what is happening with the latest series of Cats does Countdown? C4 aired one new episode in January, then nothing...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tried a few episodes of Countdown Cats tonight and I don’t think it’s a keeper for me. Jimmy Carr always feels somewhat hammy but when he’s a guest it has its own charm in small doses. When he’s the host it feels tedious because it just goes on and on and on.

I also don’t think the format is particularly interesting outlet for comedians or celebrities. Of the four episodes I watched today, the first ten minutes dragged and every joke felt so incredibly put on and scripted that I was begging for the actual game to start. The game feels fine and it’s funny to watch them flounder and banter back and forth, but ultimately it’s watching people do math and play scrabble which.. ok I guess.

I think in describing it I just realized what I like about celebrity panel shows.. the back and forth banter. Jimmy reading lovely jokes off a card for ten minutes to set up lame gags didn’t do much for me.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Cats Does Countdown was my go to if I wanted an easy going TV show so I've watched loads of it. It started out okay, got really strong and now it too formulaic. Plus there's a giant Sean Lock shaped hole in the line up now.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
imo if you've got a group of (mostly) funny people and you've got 30 minutes (or whatever) of TV time, it seems a bit daft to spend a good portion of that time having them play Countdown, which they're generally bad at, rather than have them be funny, which they're much better at

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s an hour long, and it really feels it at times.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I tried watching a few actual episodes after seeing a bunch of those "best of" edits and found the edits to be far superior.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Gorn Myson posted:

Cats Does Countdown was my go to if I wanted an easy going TV show so I've watched loads of it. It started out okay, got really strong and now it too formulaic. Plus there's a giant Sean Lock shaped hole in the line up now.

Yeah I honestly find it tough to watch now because losing Sean Lock hurts, he was too good.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I'm probably the only person who actually watches Great British Menu but wow, the heat has been quite significant this week for being bad. During the first judging they looked like cowed schoolchildren. Tom Aikens would have torn them apart.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I tried watching a few actual episodes after seeing a bunch of those "best of" edits and found the edits to be far superior.
Thats not a bad shout. Watch the best of Sean Lock or Jon Richardson on that show, and I mean a properly long maybe hour plus compilation and you're seeing how good it can get.

I love how Richardson started out thinking "I'm contractually obligated to do this", and then his competitive edge kicks in and he clearly worked hard in his spare time to being good at Countdown (Sean never gave a gently caress) and did really well, but the best punchline for this was the episode where he stopped giving a poo poo and made up nine letter words on every single round.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Would I Lie To You is probably my #1 easy-watching panel show. Somewhat guest-dependent as they all are, but Rob is a great host and the format lends itself so well to silliness.

And of course any time Bob Mortimer is on is fully incredible.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
They did a US Wilty not too long ago. Was ok, not a trainwreck. Although the advert breaks did break the flow and it felt the truth:lie ratio was too much to the latter. The real highlight was Richard Kind as a contestant, they should get him on a UK episode.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

reality_groove posted:

For TV I'm sure it's Hislop, HIGNFY has been going for 33 years. At one point Merton got bored and skipped a series but I'm pretty sure Hislop's been there the entire time

It's also wild to me that they've now had guest hosts for nearly twice as long as Deayton was ever on the show

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

The whole “Angus Deayton couldn’t possibly carry on as the host once he Became The Story” is such a glimpse into a previous way of thinking about politics and the media. Can’t help but feel in 2023 (or for several years now), people would stop caring/move on after two weeks max.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
back then doing coke and visiting sex workers was career suicide

nowadays they make you PM

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

For TV I'm sure it's Hislop, HIGNFY has been going for 33 years. At one point Merton got bored and skipped a series but I'm pretty sure Hislop's been there the entire time

It's also wild to me that they've now had guest hosts for nearly twice as long as Deayton was ever on the show

iirc Ian Hislop did one show with appendicitis and went to hospital immediately after it finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Susie Dent probably towers over Davis/Hislop, started in 92, does 3-4 shows a week too instead of 1 as the others