Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
My only regret is I’m not alive in the timeline where they reworked difficulty and airborne effectiveness in the same expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

I just did it 15 minutes ago, but you have to bait the boss into lunging so it carries him over the edge, so I think backing up as he approaches is the best way to go. If you're just standing there he will swipe at you without any forward momentum.

It was finicky- took me a dozen tries.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Not being able to effectively whittle down an overload champ.
In between playing hide and seek with shots, he'll pop his barrier and heal.
By time I can kill the barrier he's fully healed.

It's poo poo.

Those are barrier champs, overloads are the ones that constantly heal and teleport around

Anyway what you want to do is first get a feel for the timing of his barrier pops. Then do this:

-hit him with a powerful weapon to take off some health

-when he’s about to barrier, start hitting him with the anti-barrier gun. He takes barrier damage during the whole animation so he won’t heal at all and his shield bar will come up with a chunk already gone

-when you get the stun, reload your anti-barrier gun and then go to step 1

Of course the real trick is doing this while he and others are shooting at you

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

sunday at work posted:

Exotic Primaries and trace rifles have a 40% buff in damage against red bars including any effects they cause. They are practically the only primaries worth using right now.

I will continue to use my Synchronic Roulette with Hatchling, because my Strandlock needs more Threadlings. All the Threadlings.

Why Can't I Hold All These Threadlings?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've gotten 3 exotics in the past week. First was from an overload chest: Fr0st-EE5. Second was from the end of NF: Fr0st-EE5. Third was the exotic engram from Xur: Fr0st-EE5.
I know it's random but gently caress me.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

its all nice on rice posted:

I've gotten 3 exotics in the past week. First was from an overload chest: Fr0st-EE5. Second was from the end of NF: Fr0st-EE5. Third was the exotic engram from Xur: Fr0st-EE5.

I've finished the vex strike force event twice and gotten two Aeon Safes, both lovely rolls too

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I just did that Duality cheese, took a couple of tries but in the end he didn't even knock me off, I was just running around like a dumbass and he missed me and fell off all by himself.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

its all nice on rice posted:

sounds like the game did exactly that

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

syntaxfunction posted:

LLSs are +20 delta, not minus. You can keep levelling until 20 over the recommended level.

This is extremely goofy. I didn't know Legend and Master had uniquely different power level advantages for lost sectors

Also silly that they'd even bother with advantages beyond +30 from Pinnacle Cap since the artifact xp scales so incredibly high

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I have a hard time replacing Dead Man's Tale as my primary. It's so satisfying to shoot and the quest to get it was so fun. I love me some ghost ship exploring.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I just did that Duality cheese, took a couple of tries but in the end he didn't even knock me off, I was just running around like a dumbass and he missed me and fell off all by himself.

Yeah one of my middle attempts, I jumped straight up and he ran under me and off the edge, and I would have had it there except I got lit up by the snipers I forgot to kill.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Not being able to effectively whittle down an overload champ.
In between playing hide and seek with shots, he'll pop his barrier and heal.
By time I can kill the barrier he's fully healed.

It's poo poo.

suspend them with strand. It cancels the shield ability. Use bola grenades.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

haveblue posted:

-when you get the stun, reload your anti-barrier gun and then go to step 1

don't, actually- champs take more damage after being stunned. now's the time to go ham with heavy or super or special weapons.

if they haven't died, reload then while they are immune to being stunned again

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

100 resilience being mandatory is dumb. but also it's hilarious that bungie has made the game both too easy (root of nightmares) and too hard. we got exactly the game that we deserve.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I agree that Contest RoN being less difficult than LLSes is stupid but it seems most streamers think the answer to this is making raids harder and not making LLSes easier, so I am forced to side with the casuals on principle.

Also shoutout to GGGC for correctly predicting that the Reslience nerf would make 100 Resil more mandatory, not less.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I mean, contest mode raids ARE supposed to be the hardest content in the game, designed for hardcore players to be pushed to their limits? It should be made harder than anything else.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I mean, contest mode raids ARE supposed to be the hardest content in the game, designed for hardcore players to be pushed to their limits? It should be made harder than anything else.

I agree, but the difficulty conversation around the game right now is happening in terms that are way too two-dimensional. The difficulty Bungie seems to have had in mind in “bringing challenge back to Destiny” with Lightfall has apparently just been to crank up health and damage values on enemies and dust off their hands, which has resulted in the game’s oft-exalted gunfeel falling to poo poo as it takes three hand cannon crits to take down a minor enemy. There are ways to increase difficulty without making the game feel like poo poo, it’s the balance that practically every game developer aspires for, and Bungie came the closest to it with Witch Queen’s legendary campaign. I agree that RoN isn’t great but it’s because the mechanics are so simple that every encounter except planets has like three people on add clear at any given time.

I’m also just not even the least bit sympathetic to complaints from streamers that a lot of people managed to clear this contest mode - in a game where the difficulty is bizarrely only available for the first 48 hours (or less!) this is the next best thing to what Bungie should actually be doing, which is making contest mode difficult, optional, and permanent, which would solve pretty much everyone’s problems here. And you could say “but Master Mode is still coming,” and this is where I insert my speculation that I think Master RoN is going to use the same values as Contest Mode in an effort to get more people to do Master raids alongside the rework to adept raid weapons that’s happening when it launches.

It’s just that when Datto puts out a video where he’s practically spitting phlegm into his mic about how outraged he is that more than a hundred people worldwide were able to finish the raid on day one, I find that loving pathetic. Everyone agrees the DCV sucks. I have active contempt for this idea that more poo poo needs to be time-gated and impossible to serve the player base with the top 1% of playtime.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 14, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Look, in a few weeks time you'll have master raids and if you want to go rot your brains on that, feel free.

Stop complaining that the default difficulty doesn't break your thumbs often enough.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’ll admit I’m pretty new to Destiny, but it seems like Contest Mode Raiding is billed as a super super hard version of the raid, supposedly designed for the hardcore audience. And I don’t think having content that’s only for the hardcore is a bad thing either. I agree that it feels like the difficulty in other areas like the Neomuna patrol for some reason(??) is super out of whack, but this raid seems out of rack in the opposite direction.

I saw that Datto video, it didn’t seem like he was made a bunch of people competed it. He was disappointed his team didn’t make the top 100, but I felt like he also made clear he didn’t want to disparage anyone else who did clear.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The article in which they announce the difficulty increases explicitly says that the goal is to make master level anything feel like a day-one raid. Except raids themselves, which don’t get the increased stagger resistance other activities do in master mode

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I do think it's pretty funny that a lot of top PvE players complained about Divinity, citing the extremely high HP bosses in King's Fall Contest Mode as a problem, they said if Divinity got nerfed, bosses wouldn't need to be so tanky, then Divinity got nerfed and shocked pikachu face, the bosses have less health now.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I saw that Datto video, it didn’t seem like he was made a bunch of people competed it. He was disappointed his team didn’t make the top 100, but I felt like he also made clear he didn’t want to disparage anyone else who did clear.

Ya the guys who are actually mad are Gladd and Saltagreppo

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Ya the guys who are actually mad are Gladd and Saltagreppo

With Datto, I genuinely believe he just wants to be challenged, he's been very consistent about that for years. When he says he's happy for the people who got their completion, I believe him because I think he just loves raiding.

With those other guys, it's one hundred percent that they're mad about not getting first. Gladd already threw this tantrum after Deep Stone when he placed like poo poo in that race.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

sunday at work posted:

Exotic Primaries and trace rifles have a 40% buff in damage against red bars including any effects they cause. They are practically the only primaries worth using right now.

I did not know this, but that is cool. Is “Primary” just the top slot, or is it any weapon that doesn’t use Special or Heavy ammo?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I did not know this, but that is cool. Is “Primary” just the top slot, or is it any weapon that doesn’t use Special or Heavy ammo?

The latter. Primary is any weapon with infinite ammo. The top slot is for kinetic, stasis and strand weapons.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I’ll admit I’m pretty new to Destiny, but it seems like Contest Mode Raiding is billed as a super super hard version of the raid, supposedly designed for the hardcore audience. And I don’t think having content that’s only for the hardcore is a bad thing either. I agree that it feels like the difficulty in other areas like the Neomuna patrol for some reason(??) is super out of whack, but this raid seems out of rack in the opposite direction.

I guess my difference in philosophy here is that I agree the game should have extremely difficult content. I just also think it should not be the majority of content, and more importantly, it should be something that every player can aspire to doing eventually as they increase in skill - and I view "difficult content" as not just "we cranked the Power level extra high." I view the time-limited nature of this game to be actively harming its difficulty balance at this point - I do not believe we should be making content that only people who play Destiny for a living will ever be able to do because it goes away before most players can accumulate the skill and the gear needed to do it, which is why my suggested solution is to either make contest mode more difficult but permanent, or just make Master mode into contest mode. If I was in Blackburn's seat, then the way I'd do it would be that raids would launch only in Master mode, Normal mode would be unlocked for the whole playerbase once World's First is achieved, and there would still be a special emblem or whatever for doing Master in the first 48 hours.

I also speculate that Bungie's attempt to fix this was to basically make Master mode into contest mode. After all, it's a little silly to make develop three difficulties per raid, one of which is only available for at most 48 hours. I also think this is exacerbated by the fact that RoN's mechanics are quite simple.

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

MJeff posted:

With Datto, I genuinely believe he just wants to be challenged, he's been very consistent about that for years. When he says he's happy for the people who got their completion, I believe him because I think he just loves raiding.

With those other guys, it's one hundred percent that they're mad about not getting first. Gladd already threw this tantrum after Deep Stone when he placed like poo poo in that race.

While his desire for a challenge might be legitimate I still have to roll my eyes at a 30 minute rant about how POWERCREEP has KILLED the challenge in Destiny now and forevermore. Especially when the raid was mostly easier due to mechanics and not enemy lethality and the rest of the sandbox is in the state it's in.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don’t think people complaining are truly appreciating just how loving nice we have it now if only for everyone, and I mean everyone, having a full collection of mods to build with. There were prior day 1 raids were teams coupled simply not compete because people didn’t have the right mods. It wasn’t skill or competence, if you didn’t have a cracked well build or a hype tuned loadout, your damage would just not be there and your team would fail over and over again. Now everyone had the chance to straight up copy the day 1 raiders loadouts (which they themselves posted in videos!) without being worried about missing mods. All you needed was whatever exotic, a good pair of weapons, and (ideally) masterworked gear with 100 resilience.

It’s never been easier to engage with super hard content and that’s not necessarily because the hard content is easier.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don’t think people complaining are truly appreciating just how loving nice we have it now if only for everyone, and I mean everyone, having a full collection of mods to build with. There were prior day 1 raids were teams coupled simply not compete because people didn’t have the right mods. It wasn’t skill or competence, if you didn’t have a cracked well build or a hype tuned loadout, your damage would just not be there and your team would fail over and over again. Now everyone had the chance to straight up copy the day 1 raiders loadouts (which they themselves posted in videos!) without being worried about missing mods. All you needed was whatever exotic, a good pair of weapons, and (ideally) masterworked gear with 100 resilience.

It’s never been easier to engage with super hard content and that’s not necessarily because the hard content is easier.

This is the other thing, there are several reasons why the raid had significantly more contest mode completions, not just that it was relatively easier than other raids. The playerbase, and Bungie, are so deep in the woods on this game that they don't understand that the game is so easy because they have logged hundreds if not thousands of hours into making it so. Oh, we've never had a better add clear gun than a craftable Forbearance - okay, but you still have to have good enough gear to run Vow of the Disciple, the game knowledge to learn its puzzles, and then you have to run it enough to get five red borders of it. That's a lot of loving work and you should get an awesome gun for it. The reward for investing enough time into getting mods for, and then the game knowledge to put together, an excellent build is that the game gets easier for you. Bungie wanted more people to have access to that kind of skill, and when streamers bitch that the ability that takes five minutes to charge and makes your team hard to kill for twenty seconds is too powerful because you can't get one-shot in it anymore, what they're really complaining about is that now players have access to the same tools they've always had, and their work to get those tools was "invalidated."

I, meanwhile, do not give a poo poo. I play the game because I have fun with it, and if you are so deep in the game that number going up is a goal in and of itself instead of gradually unlocking new ways for you to have fun, it's time to take a break or quit altogether.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 14, 2023

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

GentlemanGiant posted:

While his desire for a challenge might be legitimate I still have to roll my eyes at a 30 minute rant about how POWERCREEP has KILLED the challenge in Destiny now and forevermore. Especially when the raid was mostly easier due to mechanics and not enemy lethality and the rest of the sandbox is in the state it's in.

Yea this was my issue with his and other content creator's takes. It's one thing to be disappointed that Bungie seemed to miss the mark on contest mode, but it's another to then use that to whine about powercreep or that this is the death of contest mode raiding. I mean the opening to that Datto video has him saying that the casuals have won and gotten contest mode tuned for them while the rest of the game is casuals just getting their poo poo pushed in everywhere else. I would bet that Bungie just messed up the tuning of the mode and along with more people running with more things unlocked made it seem easier. I would almost guarantee that even with more people doing contest than ever that Bungie swings the other way and makes it even more difficult again because of the backlash from the most visible part of the community.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I do not believe we should be making content that only people who play Destiny for a living will ever be able to do because it goes away before most players can accumulate the skill and the gear needed to do it, which is why my suggested solution is to either make contest mode more difficult but permanent, or just make Master mode into contest mode.
Hard agree to this statement.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Tbf I did like it a lot better when the main game wasn’t “5 120 shots to kill a red bar” and the weird raid mode for weirdos to play during the work week was hard

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Take away their DPS checks, make it sting

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

If steamers want a challenge: I hear the BME Pain Olympics is still around. Boo hoo, the proles caught up to us and beat us at "our game". Well already got nerfed, along with plenty of other poo poo. gently caress capitalism, new age game dev, and their sycophants.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The whole point of having optional, super hard content is so you don’t have to worry about 95% of the game being approachable. The whole point is to have an array of content for lots of people to engage with - that’s how games get and maintain high MAUs.

Also I don’t really get complaining about power creep - it’s a loving loot game and more ARPG than shooter. Destiny always has been! The whole idea is you’re supposed to come up with crazy builds that break large parts of the game of your knee. That’s why it’s fun! Difficulty in that setting is always going to look like bigger numbers, because you’re supposed to build past bigger numbers. Critically, as most people have said, the most insane parts of that should be relegated to the most outlier portions of content. Unless you don’t care about the game only appealing to a minority of players, I guess.

If what people really want is some hyper realistic and technical shooter I have no idea why they’re playing Destiny.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

PathAsc posted:

If steamers want a challenge: I hear the BME Pain Olympics is still around. Boo hoo, the proles caught up to us and beat us at "our game". Well already got nerfed, along with plenty of other poo poo. gently caress capitalism, new age game dev, and their sycophants.

Yeah I’m making a lot of concessions in these arguments but this is where my sympathies really lie. At the end of the day these people are complaining about more people being able to do the same content they do, and their demands necessitate less people being able to experience more of the game, and just generally making the game less fun and feel worse. If they don’t feel challenged enough by this one single raid in the grand history of Destiny, they can go play Pizza Tower or something. I hear it’s real good.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

VanillaGorilla posted:

If what people really want is some hyper realistic and technical shooter I have no idea why they’re playing Destiny.

They couldn't make it big by shilling for gatcha games and raid/nord so they poo poo in our bed instead.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

I wonder how many of the people on leddit and whatnot complaining about contest mode being too easy have tried a lowman before

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

also not for nothing but there are like a thousand weapons in this game, not even touching on perks and builds. there are so many variables that if you want poo poo to be hard all the time you can do a glaives-only grandmaster nightfall speedrun and let the rest of us have fun in heroic patrol with a pulse rifle

this is my biggest beef with Destiny in general: it should be aimed at normals because there are six hundred streamers whining about difficulty but a literal million normals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ChaosReaper posted:

I mean the opening to that Datto video has him saying that the casuals have won and gotten contest mode tuned for them while the rest of the game is casuals just getting their poo poo pushed in everywhere else.
See again, the problem here is that the difficulty seperation works differently in each mode and a completely different take on what 'legend' means. Dungeons start at Legend difficulty but they don't have a bunch of weird and debilitating modifiers and champions. Legend nightfall and legend dungeon are two wildly different difficulties, even though they're labelled the same.

The streamers complaining about the raid being too easy are complaining that the base version is too easy. And frankly the answer to that is that if you want a challenge, wait for master difficulty.

Over the last few years of trying to have the difficulty discussion I've had the phrase "Maybe the game isn't for you" thrown back in my face so many times it's kind of making me laugh in a maddening way to have the opportunity to throw it back.

It's reasonable enough for people to look at the Legend campaign and say "no, you tuned it too far." It's not reasonable for players who want a high lethality challenge to expect the base difficulty raid to meet that bar and exclude casuals.

Maybe the flaw is, as observed upthread, that they don't release master first, and then normal afterwards.