Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Torquemada posted:

I assume the Baldur's Gate name is for name recognition, because I can't imagine they'll be asking me to import a save from the end of Throne Of Bhaal :cheeky:

Yeah it's set 100+ years after the events of bg2 and from what I can tell has no connection to the plot of BG1/2. It's just a shared setting which will include some of the same characters.

There's a BG3 thread in case anyone wants to read or follow more closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bike tory posted:

Yeah it's set 100+ years after the events of bg2 and from what I can tell has no connection to the plot of BG1/2. It's just a shared setting which will include some of the same characters.

the larger plot has something to do with bhaal, basically. what that is, no one publicly knows yet.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Randallteal posted:

Luckily BG3 will have Minsc! :unsmigghh:

:whitewater:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Think I'm just an uppity old curmudgeon since I haven't played any of the divinity games and my first reaction to finding out BG3 is 100 years after the Bhaalspawn Saga was "so they're banking on name and IP recognition right? Otherwise they'd just do D:OS3". Trying not to be too down about it because I have several friends in my circle who have no prior BG experience and are extremely hyped for this game based off of their experiences with D:OS1 and 2. It's just not what I would've wanted from a hypothetical BG3.

Grumble grumble, not my Baldurs Gate grumble grumble etc.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Divinity gameplay is cool for BG, any change from 5th edition tabletop is gonna be an improvement. Though I would have preferred the story build off of any of the companion epilogues from Throne of Bhaal rather than "you're back in the town from the first game" as the connection point.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's called baldurs gate 2 and yet you never visit the titular fantasy city!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bike tory posted:

Shared setting in the sense it's Forgotten Realms, which is shared with like hundreds of games by this point.

Also their tie in was some big tabletop module released called Descent into Avernus, and a comic series of the same.

There's a notable effort by WoTC to promote this game. Not too many other iconic DnD videogames people are still talking about to this day. Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance was supposed to be some coop GaaS arpg and I think most people aren't even aware it exists. It only has 3.6k reviews since 2021 on steam which is insanely low for a big IP title.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Randallteal posted:

Luckily BG3 will have Minsc! :unsmigghh:

And Jaheira as well!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Jay Rust posted:

wtf!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The Greater Baldur's Gate Metropolitan Area 3

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Meanwhile the game "Titular Fantasy City" is in a very different category on steam.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

bike tory posted:

Meanwhile the game "Titular Fantasy City" is in a very different category on steam.

Please dont doxx my wishlist

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Replaying BG1 and the occasional dialogue choices not being in Fantasy Dialect makes them a lot funnier IMO.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
My favourite is the famous line about Elminster's hat.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
is there an ironman going on? been getting the itch for some bg alately...

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

DeadButDelicious posted:

Think I'm just an uppity old curmudgeon since I haven't played any of the divinity games and my first reaction to finding out BG3 is 100 years after the Bhaalspawn Saga was "so they're banking on name and IP recognition right? Otherwise they'd just do D:OS3". Trying not to be too down about it because I have several friends in my circle who have no prior BG experience and are extremely hyped for this game based off of their experiences with D:OS1 and 2. It's just not what I would've wanted from a hypothetical BG3.

Grumble grumble, not my Baldurs Gate grumble grumble etc.

I mean there was basically no where to go with the original plot anyway.

Hell even the original plan for a sequel BG3: The Black Hound, clearly had nothing to do with the original plot either.

Plus there's already plenty of spin off games and the fact that the city of Baldurs Gate already existed as a location prior to the original games existing anyway.

Like, its completely fine that somebody else is making a game set there and it being a very loose sequel in the way that all forgotten realms stuff is connected

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

is there an ironman going on? been getting the itch for some bg alately...

Yeah, the thread is kind of slow at the moment (though I'm about to post an update) but there's no reason you can't join in!

e. Thread is here

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

Replaying BG1 and the occasional dialogue choices not being in Fantasy Dialect makes them a lot funnier IMO.

Some of the dialogue in BG1 is absolutely sublime. When you give Perdue back his sword in Beregost, I think you can rip into him for being a stingy halfling. It's brilliant.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I BE THALANTYR, MIGHTY MAGE OF BEREGOST and then you hand him over a talking chicken. BG1 really has the best stuff, with all apologies to David Warner.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Rappaport posted:

I BE THALANTYR, MIGHTY MAGE OF BEREGOST and then you hand him over a talking chicken. BG1 really has the best stuff, with all apologies to David Warner.

Yeah his idle chat when you click on him is “Why do I live in such a piss ant town?” yet it’s just him in his castle living in the woods with his buddy who got turned into a chicken

I love that bit of voice acting

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

One of my favs has always been the first time Elminster approaches you and asks after your mental state and you have the option to clap back with something along the lines of "and how about the mental state of people who accost total strangers like this"

Cat Hassler posted:

Yeah his idle chat when you click on him is “Why do I live in such a piss ant town?” yet it’s just him in his castle living in the woods with his buddy who got turned into a chicken

I love that bit of voice acting

I always assumed he meant Beregost, given he's only a few hours walk to the West

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah I think highhedge is supposed to be connected to Beregost. I mean he does say he's a mighty mage OF beregost after all.

But why does the interior of highhedge look like it belongs in firewine? Abd why does he have antitheft measures when there's nothing to steal?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Zeniel posted:

But why does the interior of highhedge look like it belongs in firewine? Abd why does he have antitheft measures when there's nothing to steal?

He's a wizard who has graduated to the "Build a tower/lair/laboratory and isolate oneself from society"-stage of wizardness

The strange part is that there aren't more nonsensical things going on about that place.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Thalantyr is just upset that he (HE!) can't spring for a big city lair like those fancy bastards Ramazith and Ragefast. Instead he's out in the sticks with a bunch of stupid skeletons wandering about.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Thalantyr is just upset that he (HE!) can't spring for a big city lair like those fancy bastards Ramazith and Ragefast. Instead he's out in the sticks with a bunch of stupid skeletons wandering about.

That reminds me of another cute line in the friendly arm inn, where a churl says how the Wizards in Baldurs Gate used to cast Barkskin on children and they'd run around looking all twiggy.

Looks like I'm about to abandon Pathfinder Kingmaker for another Baldurs Gate playthrough. It really is the GOAT.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Zeniel posted:

Abd why does he have antitheft measures when there's nothing to steal?

I mean, his shop inventory is pretty drat impressive. And there's a thief right outside who asks for your help robbing him.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

"Hi, I'm Well-Adjusted Al, and my prices are sensible. I used to be called "Crazy Al," but therapy has convinced me that selling plate armor for 3 gold pieces and a small duck was no way to get ahead in business."

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like the overdramatic nobleman who keeps threatening to jump off a cliff and after you talk him down he mentions that this is like the sixth time this has happened. As he wanders home he decides to ask his mother to build a cliff for him that's closer to home.

I'm starting SoD now, and it's extremely funny to me that whoever wrote this section has absolutely zero respect for Garrick.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Vichan posted:

"Hi, I'm Well-Adjusted Al, and my prices are sensible. I used to be called "Crazy Al," but therapy has convinced me that selling plate armor for 3 gold pieces and a small duck was no way to get ahead in business."

Bit hard on the duck population too

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

pentyne posted:

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance was supposed to be some coop GaaS arpg and I think most people aren't even aware it exists. It only has 3.6k reviews since 2021 on steam which is insanely low for a big IP title.

That's because it sucked real bad and word got around so fast it basically flopped so hard it went back in time and destroyed itself. One of the most boring games I've ever played.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Devorum posted:

That's because it sucked real bad and word got around so fast it basically flopped so hard it went back in time and destroyed itself. One of the most boring games I've ever played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEXgaEGpfHc

One of the most baffling trailers I ever had the misfortune of watching.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

“My lung! It’s flopping all over the dirt!”

“So then I kicked him in so I kicked so I kicked him in the head so I kicked him in the head the head I kicked him in the head so I so I until he was dead.”

Those are two of my faves.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Draw your daggers and spells, and let's have at 'er!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Wasn't there a sequel to Dark Alliance?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Draw your daggers and spells, and let's have at 'er!

Drasus has always been one of my favorite fights in the series. It really makes you feel like you're a thorn in the side of the Iron Throne when they personally hire those guys to whip your rear end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEXgaEGpfHc

One of the most baffling trailers I ever had the misfortune of watching.

Literally forgot this game existed and thought they were talking about the earlier Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance game, which was a decent top down couch co-op Diablo esque ARPG 20 years ago when I had roommates and none of us had full time jobs.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Pwnstar posted:

I like the overdramatic nobleman who keeps threatening to jump off a cliff and after you talk him down he mentions that this is like the sixth time this has happened. As he wanders home he decides to ask his mother to build a cliff for him that's closer to home.

I'm starting SoD now, and it's extremely funny to me that whoever wrote this section has absolutely zero respect for Garrick.

I recently started a playthrough, found this dude, and told him to do it.

He said no one had ever believed in him before, that he was magically cured with this newfound confidence, and would be going home to do something great with his life.

10/10 game.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Baldur's gate gets...2 I think mentions in the movie. One where someone gives a list of LOCATIONS YOU MIGHT HAVE HEARD OF and one where one of the Lord's of Baldur's gate and somewhere else I can't recall is walking towards a vault. They don't get a speaking role but show up at the climax for some...things to happen.

Lets just say they do what lords of Baldur's gate do best.

I will say I wouldn't have recognized the movie location based on playing the start of Neverwinter Nights, it looks much grander and more like a proper city.

Icewind Dale gets a single mention...and I'll be honest. I'd got some tears in my eyes when they show the map and pan past it.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Skwirl posted:

Literally forgot this game existed and thought they were talking about the earlier Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance game, which was a decent top down couch co-op Diablo esque ARPG 20 years ago when I had roommates and none of us had full time jobs.

it got rereleased! the Switch version runs buttery smooth af and it holds up very very well as a little ARPG fun run aside from the jumping puzzles. you can still do the import trick and play absolutely ludicrously OP, as the game was intended to be played. the sequel also got rereleased.

I am really interested to see if the two weird awesome Everquest games they made also get a rerelease alsp but I am not holding my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I find I'm rapidly falling farther into the fantasy RPG pit. A month or so ago, I had a whim to play Skyrim again, which evolved into me wanting to try Morrowind again. Started watching videos related to TES, and in turn, I ended up watching a couple related videos on BG (specifically these two by Strat-Edgy). Through that, I learned some about some OP strats (ex. using the cloak from the sewers to turn into a slime that's immune to breath attacks when fighting Firkraag, and then casting Feeblemind on him which nerfs him considerably). That resulted in me revisiting Play It Hardcore to read the write-ups on NPCs, classes, and HLAs, and here I am, back in the Infinity Engine thread again.

I had made a Half-Orc Barbarian in BG1EE around 2020 or so because I picked up SoD and I was playing a bunch of RPGs during lockdown. I actually ended up liking that character a lot because by the end of the game, they seemed super-powerful (there's a bit in SoD where you fight a celestial during the titular siege, and I managed to gib them). I imported the character into BG2 with the intent to visit some of the content I missed during my first attempt (collecting all the pantaloons, recruiting some of the NPCs I didn't take in my previous attempts, etc.), but that fizzled out. I'm tempted to start a couple of characters with the intent to do the various strongholds questlines (picked a fighter kit previously, and I imagine Barbarian still only has access to De'Arnise Keep), but I also remember that I installed Icewind Dale EE, and I haven't even started that game.

docbeard posted:

I'd really love to live in the parallel universe where they actually went through with making the Spectator a joinable NPC.

I've never been motivated to mod Baldur's Gate, but if someone made a mod where you could recruit the Spectator as a party member, I would absolutely download that.