Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Great film that deserved a ton of awards, but I'm a bit sad that Banshees of Inisherin was nominated for eight and didn't win a single one.

I suppose it's always the case when a movie does sweep most of the major awards, there's always another deserving film or two that ends up empty handed. Like, there was really only one major award(Best Actor) available to win last night and Fraser got that. The rest just had to be happy with the second tier awards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

In retrospect having Harrison Ford present Best Picture was a big tell that EEAAO was winning.

Unless The Fablemans pulled the upset :v:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Android Apocalypse posted:

In retrospect having Harrison Ford present Best Picture was a big tell that EEAAO was winning.

Unless The Fablemans pulled the upset :v:
The people putting the show together don't know who is going to win. They can guess at it but sometimes they get it wrong.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah like best actor last year…

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm Irish and I avoided watching the Banshees movie. If I wanted to see miserable Irish people I'd just go to Waterford.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Shame, Banshees loving ruled

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm Irish and I avoided watching the Banshees movie. If I wanted to see miserable Irish people I'd just go to Waterford.

Internalized Anglophilia

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Justice for EEAAO!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
the asian acting community probably very happy right now.

hopefully it won't be another 30-40+ years till another asian wins an oscar (but unfortunately might be the case)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

We'll be sure to defrost James Hong when the time comes again.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

We'll be sure to defrost James Hong when the time comes again.

He's already had some experience with that, but he only did eyes!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

poo poo, that was him?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bold of you to assume he won't still be around, given how he's doing

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I teared up at Quan's speech. What a wonderful moment. :3: I couldn't be happier for him.

This is a big deal for genre flicks too. So rarely are they given any recognition beyond technical oscars.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

I teared up at Quan's speech. What a wonderful moment. :3: I couldn't be happier for him.

This is a big deal for genre flicks too. So rarely are they given any recognition beyond technical oscars.

EEAAO also didn't take the typical prestige film path to the Oscars. It didn't premiere at Toronto or even Sundance but SXSW, then rode word-of-mouth for a full year.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I saw someone just so completely happy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Submitted for your consideration: EEAAO is special because it’s easier to make a good movie about what’s wrong with the world than to make a good movie about how to fix the world Movies that point out what’s wrong with the world have an advantage because what’s wrong with the world is plainly evident. Capitalism fucks over the poor? War is bad? Easy! Who wants to criticize such points? Movies that put forward a solution to fixing what’s wrong with the world are way harder to pull off because the solution is wide open to criticism. Maybe the solution relies too much on thinking problems will work themselves out, maybe it glosses over bigger problems, maybe the solution doesn’t actually solve anything.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I think one of the reasons it is so well loved is that there are a whole handful of problems that feed the symptoms that drive the plot, and there's a takeaway for anyone that can relate. The Joybu's nihilism really spoke to me as someone with depression, and there is catharsis at the end bringing resolution to it. I have also struggled in the past with acceptance, both self and familial, that both Evelyn and Joy embody (different aspects). I can see, and have heard from others I've shared the movie with, other perspectives, but they didn't resonate with me as much.

The portrayals of pain throughout the movie are convincing enough that, even if you don't relate to the resolution, you've been tricked into believing that the portrayal of the resolution can be just as real.

I'm not going to say this movie was life changing for me, but since first seeing this movie I have made a number of positive changes in my life, and it's possible that somehow the lessons from this movie subtly changed my perspective or outlook and I fluence making those changes.

It could also just be coincidence.

I failed college writing a few times because I suck at poetry analysis. This could all just be a pile of bullshit I'm spewing based on how the movie makes me feel.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I mean it's not just the message. The whole film is creative in ways that I've never really seen in any kind of film let alone a Hollywood film. It's inventive and new pretty manipulative and a lot of people who slog though the same old Oscar bait every year really responded to it. There's invention and craftsmanship and artistry here that feels new and real because it is new and real. That's why I liked it at least.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

carticket posted:

The portrayals of pain throughout the movie are convincing enough that, even if you don't relate to the resolution, you've been tricked into believing that the portrayal of the resolution can be just as real.

I also have depression, and understand Jobu's motivation along similar lines: even in the seeming vastness of infinity, endless potential to be anything doesn't entail there's some inherent meaning or value at the core of it. Exploring every possible reality just means discovering that every possible reality is as meaningless as the one you came from. She's like a more irreverent Dr. Manhattan, down to the brief meditative solitude of her barren lifeless rock world.

But I appreciate that the movie's counter to that isn't to say Jobu is actually wrong. She isn't, really: everything is arbitrary, things don't actually matter in any cosmic or objective sense. And yet, everyone else is just as trapped into that absurdity, and there is perhaps subjective meaning or value to be enjoyed in this common circumstance we share. It's a genuine and humanistic message from a premise that could easily have leaned into arch cynicism. I don't know if it provides a "resolution" to anything, but I can see it helping someone in a bad place take a step back from a literal or metaphorical ledge.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How can a movie solve anything

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The closest to a resolution that I feel the movie provides is it highlights a few of the different paths that you can take in a world lacking meaning. Jobu succumbed to it, Evelyn fought it, and Waymond ignores/is oblivious to it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

Don't you know? We come to the theater to laugh, to cry, to care. In this place, stories feel perfect and powerful. Because here, they are.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

What should I do this afternoon? It's too hot to go on a hike.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

nomad2020 posted:

The closest to a resolution that I feel the movie provides is it highlights a few of the different paths that you can take in a world lacking meaning. Jobu succumbed to it, Evelyn fought it, and Waymond ignores/is oblivious to it.

No, Waymond doesn't ignore it, he empathizes with it. In fact, it's his "martial art" and it's what Evelyn eventually borrows to bring about the conclusion after her brute force fails.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah, the Wong Kar-wai version of him explains his philosophy. He isn't ignorant, he chooses radical kindness and empathy over ego because he sees that as a way around the terrible aspects of life.

Waymund is also the one who puts googly eyes everywhere just to make people smile. They're the symbolic and compositional opposite of the bagel, which is a black mass of 'everything' circling an empty void in the middle representing nihilism. When Evelyn starts "fighting like Waymund," she puts the googly eye over her third eye, as if becoming his philosophy's avatar.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Empathy fight is so good. And music during it goes hard.

I think it’s easy to dismiss be kind as overly simplistic. But be cynical is just as easy.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Xealot posted:

Waymund is also the one who puts googly eyes everywhere just to make people smile. They're the symbolic and compositional opposite of the bagel, which is a black mass of 'everything' circling an empty void in the middle representing nihilism. When Evelyn starts "fighting like Waymund," she puts the googly eye over her third eye, as if becoming his philosophy's avatar.

I'm new to this thread, but you're the first other person I've seen observe the inversion of the bagel versus the googly eye. I haven't really looked for other people pointing it out, but it's just never come up in anything I've read, listened to, or watched

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yeah Waymond’s philosophy ends up being what everyone needs in the end. It’s how they win.

Maybe my favorite single use of symbolism in the film is the use of googly eye (white circle with black center) representing optimism and the everything bagel (black circle with white center) representing nihilism. The yin yang metaphor is not at all subtle, but they found a clever new way to express it. I’m sure thousands of words have already been written on this by people more clever than me, but it’s not often you see a piece of media manage to take something that overdone and find a new angle to discuss it.

You could (hypothetically) make an alternate universe (heh) version of this movie where Waymond is the villain, forcing everyone into bland conformity as they all have to be happy and cheerful like him. And Joy is the heroic force of chaos saying “no, we need to be true to ourselves and more realist in our views”. Because the ultimate message of the movie is just finding balance in the absurdity of existence. The googly eye and the everything bagel are just two halves of the whole. We live in a time and place right now that feels very doomed and pointless and so many have taken nihilism as the right answer, so Waymond’s attitude is the one that we all need to overcome it and get back to some sense of balance.

The movie is solved because Evelyn accepts both her husband and her daughter. She needs both ends of the spectrum — to acknowledge the absurdity and pointlessness of existence (Joy) but to cherish what we have and the people we spend it with while we get to live (Waymond). She needed both sides of that to snap out of her tunnel vision and see and accept the world around her for all its beauty and its faults.

Anyway I loved this movie and I cried the entire time in the theater last April. Definitely gonna go see it again when it gets another theatrical run.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

carticket posted:

I'm new to this thread, but you're the first other person I've seen observe the inversion of the bagel versus the googly eye. I haven't really looked for other people pointing it out, but it's just never come up in anything I've read, listened to, or watched

As far as I know, I was the first person on the internet to point this out, on April 19. It’s been all over twitter and “the real meaning behind EEAAO!” YouTubes since then

I deserve all sorts of internet accolades for this

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Steve Yun posted:

As far as I know, I was the first person on the internet to point this out, on April 19. It’s been all over twitter and “the real meaning behind EEAAO!” YouTubes since then

I have no idea how I avoided seeing anyone point it out until now.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I'm dumb and didn't see the googly eyes being the inversion of the doughnut, here's a star for your efforts.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I got a studio mate that is similar to Waymond in that he's forever optimistic. It's fun to talk to him about nerdy stuff like comic books & movies because I don't think I've ever heard him bad-mouth something.

The thing to note is he's had some rough things happen in his life so I understand how being optimistic has helped him get though those tough times.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Waymond made a lot of sense to me as someone who grew up as a peacekeeper.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Steve Yun posted:

I definitely remember your post about it before ever seeing any other similar takes, I think you can take credit for that one :)

Speaking of being positive, seeing everyone in this thread being positive about this movie again is reminding me how much I loved it. I think seeing the backlash to the initial wild reception online tainted it a little bit in my brain and to some small extent I forgot how good it was, in both senses of the word.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THe whole thing about cynicism being just as dumb as optimism makes me think of a lot of story villains who take being kind as naivety, and I'm always just like "Yeah, but you shutting everything out and going turbo-dick is JUST as naive. You do not understand the world, you pretend to and ignore everything that doesn't fit your world view. THAT'S Naivety."

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I really don't think the movie is presenting Waymond is naive or like eternally optimistic, like I don't think the movie contrasts Waymond's "optimism" with Juju's nihilism as equally valid view points, the movie is not open ended it tells us that Waymond was never weak and that he was never useless, that Joy's 'solution' of just cutting ties with her family and running away is throwing the baby with the bathwater, the movie is unambiguous in that it is the role of parents to accept their children for what they are and that it's a bad thing to ruin your existing relationships because you're dissatisfied with the way your life turned out.

And really I think this is part of the appeal, part of what makes this movie so special, it's so easy for a multiverse movie to be ambiguous and open ended and quasi philosophical but EEAAO goes the other way around, the multiverse is used as a way to say something specific and grounded about real relationships and real problems many regular people are facing, and it's not afraid to actually come up with a clear moral take on the situation, Evelyn is a better person at the end of the movie and all she needed to achieve the improvement is to get some interdimensional therapy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Waymond is by far the smartest character in the movie, that comes across extremely clearly in every scene he's in, and if you didn't catch that then you are like Evelyn at the start

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
One of the interesting things about this movie to me is how many people seem to just profoundly dislike it.

I think there's a read of this film where it's a counter-reaction to a lot of long term trends in our society, both thematic (the trend towards cynicism) and stylistic (everything about this movie is the opposite of the films that normally win Best Picture).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BioEnchanted posted:

THe whole thing about cynicism being just as dumb as optimism makes me think of a lot of story villains who take being kind as naivety, and I'm always just like "Yeah, but you shutting everything out and going turbo-dick is JUST as naive. You do not understand the world, you pretend to and ignore everything that doesn't fit your world view. THAT'S Naivety."

Cynicism is easy. It's easy to just look at the world and see the ugliness and just write the whole thing off. And it becomes self-fulfilling. I can't always make things better, but I can definitely make them worse.

I think that's why Waymond appeals to us so much. He is willing to put himself out there and to try and find a solution. He sees the human being on the other side of the equation.

Eleanor's multiverse excursions allow her to do the same thing, just in a more literal manner. She can see a life with the IRS agent. She sees a world where she has that chat with Waymond. In the multiverse, she stops seeing all the possibilities for her life and she starts seeing all the people that surround her and what they need and what makes them happy.