Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Argue posted:

I just automatically skip anything whose title includes words like "invincible", "peerless", "level 9999", or anything similar. "Ascendance" is only acceptable because of Bookworm

I check out maybe two every four weeks if it has a nice enough art cover but I'm so bored of the classic format of 'meet female adventurer/ love interest first off, they're gonna get together obviously, if you're lucky the next teammate will be a guy, if not it's also a harem'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
teacher isekais are pretty fun.

"so to make magic stronger...the secret is..

use your imagination!"

*mind gets blown*

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Heh, incantation magic? I just picture it in my mind and connect the logos straight to my mana drive. Amateur!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GateOfD posted:

teacher isekais are pretty fun.

"so to make magic stronger...the secret is..

use your imagination!"

*mind gets blown*

The child that has been struggling with learning magic for the last two years:

"use my what?"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there was one isekai manga where a bunch of teens were appalled to hear that math had nothing to do with magic at all. it was a very bad and mean spirited manga, though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there was one isekai manga where a bunch of teens were appalled to hear that math had nothing to do with magic at all. it was a very bad and mean spirited manga, though.

Well, math is important and necessary for programming and coding which is how the magic in Knights and Magic runs so we should go with that one instead.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Only thing I didn't like in Knights and Magic was how unearned some of the character advancement felt. Oh yes the elves will teach you, a mecha nerd, how to make the one part of mechs that is a secret in your kingdom and we won't abduct you and force you to live in our village forever and just trust you won't break our monopoly. This doesn't explain where the enemy mechs come from, unless they have their own elves.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
What disappointed me is how little it leaned into the "software engineering" part of the system. I wanted to see Ernie get frustrated at having to reinvent lambda calculus inside his own head.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I did like the parts that felt realistic from an engineering perspective, like when they triumphantly start up a prototype robot and it's arms just immediately fall off.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kwyndig posted:

Only thing I didn't like in Knights and Magic was how unearned some of the character advancement felt. Oh yes the elves will teach you, a mecha nerd, how to make the one part of mechs that is a secret in your kingdom and we won't abduct you and force you to live in our village forever and just trust you won't break our monopoly. This doesn't explain where the enemy mechs come from, unless they have their own elves.

I feel like that got explained, but it's been so long since I last read it.

Yinlock posted:

I did like the parts that felt realistic from an engineering perspective, like when they triumphantly start up a prototype robot and it's arms just immediately fall off.

That never gets old. Or the overly muscled robot that couldn't even move.

RangerKarl posted:

What disappointed me is how little it leaned into the "software engineering" part of the system. I wanted to see Ernie get frustrated at having to reinvent lambda calculus inside his own head.

Don't really disagree here, but I did like the engineering stuff that Yinlock brought up.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

RangerKarl posted:

"Okay, book, are we going to hand wave away the need for PID controllers now?

You know what I love? Having motors hit max torque and just snap off limbs suddenly."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If magic is code I'd hate to see the spells of baby programmers.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

I've seen a couple series with that concept, and usually it's "these spells are terribly optimized and use too much power for too little effect" and not "this spell randomly crashes and blows you up".

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nemo2342 posted:

I've seen a couple series with that concept, and usually it's "these spells are terribly optimized and use too much power for too little effect" and not "this spell randomly crashes and blows you up".

Technomages work like that in Babylon 5. They even had a spinoff book series centering around them and their magic.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nemo2342 posted:

Oppenheimer, during the Manhattan Project, had a worry that setting off a large enough atomic explosion had a chance to kickstart an unending explosion by debonding the hydrogen from the air and the sea and burning the atmosphere away completely.

That is just a runaway "for" loop in magic programming but replace printing the word "BUTTS" with an explosion.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Kwyndig posted:

what do you mean, this sounds awesome

SEGMENTATION FAULT *KABOOM*

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

Isn't that the plot for Witch Hat Atelier.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Brought To You By posted:

Not the plot per se, but definitely an element.

It’s the plot of Magilumiere though

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
A universe that has magic but is terrified of using it because no one invented disposable test containers for magicking.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Honestly not sure, as much as I loved the art I got kind of bogged down in the plot and gave up on it.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I swear there was a story where a programmer wakes up in his own game after dying at his computer? Vaguely recall he accidentally casts a meteor spell or something while trying to figure out magic and kills a monster army near by. Spends a ton of time just experimenting with how magic is programmed. Anyone remember this?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Death March

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Guyver posted:

Death March

Specifically "Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku" which definitely belongs in this thread for being unwholesome.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Kortel posted:

I swear there was a story where a programmer wakes up in his own game after dying at his computer? Vaguely recall he accidentally casts a meteor spell or something while trying to figure out magic and kills a monster army near by. Spends a ton of time just experimenting with how magic is programmed. Anyone remember this?

Hardly any time spent on programming. way more on 12 year olds trying to romance him

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I literally only remember the first two chapters. Nevermind about that then!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"magic as code" is usually just an excuse for the protagonist to show off how much better their coding is without going into any specifics

Nemo2342 posted:

Honestly not sure, as much as I loved the art I got kind of bogged down in the plot and gave up on it.

I dropped out of that one super fast too. Not really a fan of the whole "well the proles just can't be trusted with magic" thing even if the worldbuilding justifies it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Something I read recently instead had "magic is math" and the protagonist has an edge on everyone else because she knows calculus while they're all stuck solving every problem geometrically.

Edit: She can't actually cast spells because she has no mana, but she advances magical theory.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 14, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Yinlock posted:

"magic as code" is usually just an excuse for the protagonist to show off how much better their coding is without going into any specifics
I remember being shown the first couple episodes of an anime maybe a year ago where magic is a language passed down from God directly to the users. But nobody had ever bothered to compile a list of spells and realize that you could learn other spells by swapping out different words. Then the main character blows their companion's mind by using spells he hasn't been given divine insight into.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There was a passable litRPG I read recently where the MC had to learn complicated polynomial geometry in order to safely use his material fabrication magic. It provides some interesting limitations on what he can do and how quickly he can do it. There was also a funny bit where at one point he cheats his way into getting a second magic domain that creates force-fields, and is excited to apply his extensive math knowledge, only to find out that everyone who uses this domain just forms things intuitively because it's faster and because failures don't explode like fabrication mishaps tend to.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

All this reminds me of an old cartoon where a wizard teleported some nerd to fantasy land. In the end of the movie the nerd kills a dragon by quoting math at it to deny its existence.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

Guyver posted:

All this reminds me of an old cartoon where a wizard teleported some nerd to fantasy land. In the end of the movie the nerd kills a dragon by quoting math at it to deny its existence.

Flight of Dragons. Western isekai. Counts for thread content. Has James Earl Jones as the voice of the baddie. Based on a mash-up of Peter S. Beagle and Gordon R. Dickson writing. Good times.

Post Script: Not an isekai, but Scrapped Princess had a whole thing where magic ran like computer programming, and the main character's adopted sister was better and faster at spellcasting because she figured out how to use the verbal equivalent of macros. It was pretty cool.

Lock Knight fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 14, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
The problem with the math ones for me is like I don’t believe that the isekai world wouldn’t already know that math.

It’s a civilization with a working government, business guilds and other stuff. They learned math, it’s not a modern invention or anything.

Have the same issue when one of the modern cheats isekai characters give is introducing crop rotation. Like come on that stuff has been around across different cultures since BC times. If the world is in the feudal stages, they should know about it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That would imply that the manga author is aware of the reality of life back then and isn't operating off of a pop culture idea of the world being full of backwards morons until the 20th century when everyone suddenly became smart.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

GateOfD posted:

The problem with the math ones for me is like I don’t believe that the isekai world wouldn’t already know that math.

It’s a civilization with a working government, business guilds and other stuff. They learned math, it’s not a modern invention or anything.

Eeeh, there were plenty of functonal civilizations that didn't have much beyond arithmetic, geometry and maybe algebra. Modern math showing up in your average medieval center of learning would have made waves, even without magic coming into the equation. And unlike farming, most math doesn't require a material base beyond paper and ink.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Clarste posted:

Something I read recently instead had "magic is math" and the protagonist has an edge on everyone else because she knows calculus while they're all stuck solving every problem geometrically.

Edit: She can't actually cast spells because she has no mana, but she advances magical theory.

That sounds like "What's Wrong with Being the Villainess?" where the formulas for casting spells were handed down by the great sage (a distant ancestor of the MC) and then never questioned, so when she solves them with calculus and simplifies them it is revolutionary.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I remember being shown the first couple episodes of an anime maybe a year ago where magic is a language passed down from God directly to the users. But nobody had ever bothered to compile a list of spells and realize that you could learn other spells by swapping out different words. Then the main character blows their companion's mind by using spells he hasn't been given divine insight into.

Sounds like the assassin isekai.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Now what you need to do is have them stop using math for magic and instead using JavaScript. That definitely won't exist in medieval times like the quadratic formula and matrices.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of Teenage Dragon

Red dragon just tripped a yuri flag

kirtar posted:

Sounds like the assassin isekai.

Think that was the one. Didn't stick around for long

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Haystack posted:

Eeeh, there were plenty of functonal civilizations that didn't have much beyond arithmetic, geometry and maybe algebra. Modern math showing up in your average medieval center of learning would have made waves, even without magic coming into the equation. And unlike farming, most math doesn't require a material base beyond paper and ink.

That's why some of the cooking stuff really gets me more than the technology or things like omg double entry bookkeeping!!! you're telling me in your thousands of years of civilization people haven't hosed around with food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Throwing out the stock water you used to boil veggies and stuff instead of using the broth…

Or thinking of grounding up a food that you know animals eat into a consumable flour to make dough…

Are you kidding me, everyone tried to eat everything they could think of off the ground since they existed to survive and you skipped this cooking step?