Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Ellie's immunity wasn't really all that important in the second game. I wonder if they'll come back to it in the third game...maybe she'll be happy with a family but then get the opportunity to sacrifice herself, will she do it???

I've said before, but I suspect it's where the space imagery is going. Maybe not literal space (though that would rock) but in the sense of her subconscious desire to be some sort of pioneer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Ror posted:

They just have to increase the stan factor for Abby. Cast Florence Pugh or someone and dare all her fans to hate her.

I haven't played the second game, I've just seen a bunch of the cutscenes and know the major plot beats—how integral is Abby's build to her character? I know it has been a huge focus of a whole lot of toxic godawful internet discussion over the years, but do the writers lose (no wordplay intended) any particular club in the storytelling bag if Abby isn't jacked? I have to imagine the list of potential actresses to play Abby shrinks considerably if they need someone built like Colleen Fotsch.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Toaster Beef posted:

I haven't played the second game, I've just seen a bunch of the cutscenes and know the major plot beats—how integral is Abby's build to her character? I know it has been a huge focus of a whole lot of toxic godawful internet discussion over the years, but do the writers lose (no wordplay intended) any particular club in the storytelling bag if Abby isn't jacked? I have to imagine the list of potential actresses to play Abby shrinks considerably if they need someone built like Colleen Fotsch.

They'll likely not find someone young and big enough with the acting chops to match but it is a pretty major part of who she is, how everyone reacts to her, etc. What happens to the Fireflies spurs her into becoming a focused, merciless wrecking ball, just an absolute unit chaining smackdowns battering things to death, she plays like the Terminator compared to Ellie's Predator. Additionally, the fact she stands out so much compared to the average scrawny, malnourished survivor also kicks off the final act because there's few else like her.

Bella being as small as she is though, they can get away with casting someone who's just taller and willing to bulk up a bit I guess.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
also just kinda thinking about those poor nurses. can you imagine how hard it would be to find qualified nurses and a drat brain doctor 20 years into an apocolpyse, PLUS equipment and power? They probably trained with that doctor for years, that morning they woke up thinking they were going to save the world. now they might be the last survivors for a hundred miles.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Well the second game retcons that there were tons of Fireflies stationed at the hospital who just...weren't there at the time that poo poo went down (some of them conveniently minutes behind Joel's rampage) so they're not alone

Also remembering back to the game, you had to dodge a bunch of soldiers on your way to the elevator too

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Fun fact, during Joel's rampage on Sunday, there is a shot of someone running down a hallway away from him, and apparently if you slow it down it looks like a girl with a backpack and a braid that's bouncing off her back as she runs. So it's likely Abby was right there for the rampage and barely escaped Joel.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Kinda funny how bad the fireflies get rolled here, especially since he's not even doing sneaky hit n run game joel stuff. Just a dozen paramilitary guys getting clapped by the random guy they pulled off the street in a straight up gunfight

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I mean that's what happens in a flashback in TLOU2, right? Abby arrives just after Joel killed her dad and took Ellie away from the surgery.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Kinda funny how bad the fireflies get rolled here, especially since he's not even doing sneaky hit n run game joel stuff. Just a dozen paramilitary guys getting clapped by the random guy they pulled off the street in a straight up gunfight

A lot of the zombie shenanigans throughout the show can be handwaved away because of storytelling conventions, but the whole execution of that final sequence was bad. The Fireflies pushing Ellie right into surgery a couple of hours after finding her, Joel cutting through a whole unit of operators like butter, no one in the operating room apparently hearing the bursts of gunfire getting closer and closer and being startled when Joel walks in the door--it's all so lazy.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think the show did enough frontloading of the fact that Joel was a dangerous dude to make the rampage believable. They didn't have the time to show us as much as the game did, but People Afraid of Joel was a thing talked about on multiple occasions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 2 is going to be a hell of a mess because the plot is pretty much the exact opposite of what you would normally do for a season 2 of a TV show

I would bet money they'll do something with the structure to allow Joel to be in way more episodes after he die. Flashback city over here

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Joel is a silly guy but he did nothing wrong
https://twitter.com/astraellie/status/1635402069262897152

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

precision posted:

Season 2 is going to be a hell of a mess because the plot is pretty much the exact opposite of what you would normally do for a season 2 of a TV show

I would bet money they'll do something with the structure to allow Joel to be in way more episodes after he die. Flashback city over here

He's already in at least 5 flashbacks I can think of:

* gives Ellie a guitar
* trip to museum
* return to SLC hospital
* reconcile with Ellie
* dance flashback

Might seem sparse over the course of the whole game, but in the context of a season, right there if S2 does the Ellie storyline and he dies in ep 1, he can still be in most of the episodes of the season esp if it's 8-9 episodes

Maybe they save the reconcile flashback in its entirety for when she's drowning abby in S3

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am excited for the fan reactions of those who don't know about part 2.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

:confused: part 2 is more than 3 times as long as 1, with less filler. If anything they could do 3 seasons of it

The only natural season finale spot would be the switchover on perspective after Abby shot Jesse. But even there, I have some doubts.

Like the entire story is about one thing, Ellie going after Abby for killing Joel. Like, how many hours of TV can that sustain. Even this first season felt kinda empty because the story itself is pretty basic, but at least the season didn't stretch it out.

But how many seasons of Ellie going thru a hosed up Seattle would actually be interesting? Engaging shows usually have multiple long arcs occurring with multiple characters per season.

e: it would be pretty funny for Ellie to almost catch Abby every season finale (like at the hospital), then Abby flies away on a building crane shaking her fist

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

General Dog posted:

If the pacing is as brisk as this season was, I don't see any reason they can't knock it out in 9 or 10 episodes. You clear the main hurdle by rolling the stuff that happens in Santa Barbara into everything that happens in Seattle. You can spend 3 episodes on Abby backstory/catching up with Joel and Ellie in Wyoming and get us to the inciting incident there, and then spend a fairly leisurely six episodes in Seattle.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

precision posted:

The game already did that, he was in it plenty. They could break the flashbacks up into a cold open every episode I guess.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Fun fact, during Joel's rampage on Sunday, there is a shot of someone running down a hallway away from him, and apparently if you slow it down it looks like a girl with a backpack and a braid that's bouncing off her back as she runs. So it's likely Abby was right there for the rampage and barely escaped Joel.

Just verified this, and yeah, looks like they snuck Abby in there (you don't see her face or anything, obviously, but it's very clearly a girl with a braid). She's the only person in that entire scene outside of Ellie and the nurses who Joel doesn't kill, and the camera makes a point of letting us see her getaway.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah no. 3 seasons would be too much but a) they already said it's gonna be more than 1 season so this is a moot point b) that would suck poo poo to roll the Santa Barbara stuff into Seattle. Ellie leaving Jackson the second time because she can't let it go is part of the point.

And there's no way you can have the conflict with the Scars and Wolves, the arc with Yara and Lev growing to trust Abby, seeing and growing to sympathize with both sides of Jackson vs the SL crew, plus the Joel flashbacks, in one season.

Absolutely no way. The brisk pacing this season fit in the whole game because TLOU1 has way less than half the story of TLOU2. They can streamline TLOU2 into 2 8 episode seasons, that's about right.

edit: I mean you also gotta have the Rat King

You can probably cut some characters like Jordan and Leah from Abby's side, but you need to see that she's willing to murder multiple people just to find Abby. And then you need to see the other side, that these were people too.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 14, 2023

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Yeah, 2 is narratively far more complex than 1. Not just "two people on a road trip overcoming various hardships on the way". There are way more important secondary characters interwoven through the story, different main concurrent storylines, new factions, plus all the flashbacks, and dealing with Ellie becoming gradually more broken and traumatised. Even just Abby's story on its own has a lot going on (the hunt at the start, the stadium, the aquarium, the skyscrapers, hospital, to and from Scar Island, losing all her friends* ).

Obviously they can cut a lot out but it'll be interesting to see how they manage it.

* Though apart from Owen, Mel and Manny could she have known how many others had died? Nora died after she left her and some of the others were killed at various places around the city, far away from Abby.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

mcmagic posted:

What if you buy that there is actually a cure to be found by killing her?

I think that the Fireflies killing Ellie to find a cure Joel killing the Fireflies to save Ellie are both morally defensible actions for those parties.

That aside, I think it's very questionable (especially in the universe of the show) that a vaccine would be a real game-changer. The inability of North America's surviving factions to coordinate any larger infrastructure restoration projects is a much bigger issue than the infected themselves based on what we're shown. By the time things improved to a point where you could distribute the vaccine to a large portion of the population, you'd barely even need the vaccine.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 14, 2023

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Toaster Beef posted:

Just verified this, and yeah, looks like they snuck Abby in there (you don't see her face or anything, obviously, but it's very clearly a girl with a braid).

Setting it up for a crossover episode with Lara Croft.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I expect they're going to continue with the formula of adding way more context to the settlements, and presumably they can do a whole lot with the people in 2 being already pretty heavily storied

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Stoatbringer posted:

* Though apart from Owen, Mel and Manny could she have known how many others had died? Nora died after she left her and some of the others were killed at various places around the city, far away from Abby.

She found the polaroids of the SL crew that Leah had before, in the theater, so she could hazard a guess that a number of them died on the hunt for her

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I figure after Manny and Owen/Mel she realizes that the others were probably killed by the people who came for revenge, or she found out after finding Owen and Mel seeing as the entire WLF falls apart

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Toaster Beef posted:

I think it's most important to how she plays as a video game character. Story-wise it's not that integral, although I think some scenes would have to be reworked if they cast someone less jacked. I suspect finding a female body builder that has the acting chops to pull that role off would not be easy so I wouldn't be surprised if that aspect is toned down or dropped tbh.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah no. 3 seasons would be too much but a) they already said it's gonna be more than 1 season so this is a moot point b) that would suck poo poo to roll the Santa Barbara stuff into Seattle. Ellie leaving Jackson the second time because she can't let it go is part of the point.

And there's no way you can have the conflict with the Scars and Wolves, the arc with Yara and Lev growing to trust Abby, seeing and growing to sympathize with both sides of Jackson vs the SL crew, plus the Joel flashbacks, in one season.

Absolutely no way. The brisk pacing this season fit in the whole game because TLOU1 has way less than half the story of TLOU2. They can streamline TLOU2 into 2 8 episode seasons, that's about right.

edit: I mean you also gotta have the Rat King

You can probably cut some characters like Jordan and Leah from Abby's side, but you need to see that she's willing to murder multiple people just to find Abby. And then you need to see the other side, that these were people too.

Cards on the table, I'm in favor of a 9-10 hour adaptation of Part 2 because I don't think there's more than about 9-10 hours of good material to be gleaned from it. The Scars are bad, boogeyman antagonists and don't merit a lot of development unless they get a drastic rewrite from what we see in the game. The whole weird coda in Santa Barbara is a central story development, but I think it's possible to portray Ellie's inability to let go and her 15th-hour change of heart in a more concise manner.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What does a cure even mean in the Last of Us universe? A vaccine I can see, but you can't cure all of the infected, they can't just be turned back to human, they are all dead at this point. The only real cure would have been for all humans to come together and destroy all of the infected.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'd also like to see the continuity of flashbacks continue into the 2nd season to open each episode. I thought they would do one for each episode of the first season, but for example it would be cool to see how insane everything went down in Seattle on Outbreak Day.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

General Dog posted:

Cards on the table, I'm in favor of a 9-10 hour adaptation of Part 2 because I don't think there's more than about 9-10 hours of good material to be gleaned from it. The Scars are bad, boogeyman antagonists and don't merit a lot of development unless they get a drastic rewrite from what we see in the game. The whole weird coda in Santa Barbara is a central story development, but I think it's possible to portray Ellie's inability to let go and her 15th-hour change of heart in a more concise manner.

They have already said TLOU 2 will be 2 seasons. I think you are seriously underestimating how much story is there. Each half of it has way more going on than the entire first game did and they got 9 hours out of that.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Man game 2 is gonna be fun for the internet. Besides Joel's death you've got a trans kid wrapped up in a hamfisted Israel-Palestine analogue. Wonder if Mazin is gonna shy away from that latter part.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

veni veni veni posted:

They have already said TLOU 2 will be 2 seasons. I think you are seriously underestimating how much story is there. Each half of it has way more going on than the entire first game did and they got 9 hours out of that.

And most people in the other thread are saying they wish they had let the story breathe a bit more, at that.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I mean, they turned Bill & Frank into an almost feature length story, do people really doubt that could turn stuff like "the rise of the WLF in Seattle", "The capture and execution of The Prophet", or just the Seraphites in general into much more detailed and engaging storylines? As has already been mentioned, there are lots of Joel flashbacks to work with to bookend each day of Ellie and Dina's 3-day Seattle Vacation (plz make this the spoiler thread title for season 2, thx in advance), and that's without ever getting into all the interpersonal drama of Abby and her crew.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

General Dog posted:

2 8 episode seasons would be condensing the story from part 2.

If TLOU1 as TV is 9 episodes, the story of TLOU2 is about 20-22...but you can probably trim *some*

Either way 2 seasons is what we're getting per Mazin and Druckmann. They're banking on a Season 3, guess it'll be funny if that doesn't happen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

And most people in the other thread are saying they wish they had let the story breathe a bit more, at that.

I think the pace of season 1 was its biggest strength. I'd go so far as to say it would've been a bad show if this season was 12 episodes instead of 9.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People talking down to Druckmann over the Israel Palestine thing will never not be the dumbest poo poo. TLOU 2 subreddit tier criticism.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

General Dog posted:

I think the pace of season 1 was its biggest strength. I'd go so far as to say it would've been a bad show if this season was 12 episodes instead of 9.

I think it could have possibly used one more episode, or to add ten minutes to a couple episodes, but personally I prefer it as it is versus 12 episodes, for sure.

But doing TLOU2 in 10 episodes would be like trying to do TLOU1 in 4.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I don't know about you guys but the first time Ellie said "You can't deny that view", I would've sighed and said "shut up, kid."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’m glad we got the show, but you really could adapt Last of Us 1 as a 2 hour movie and keep the heart intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I just noticed that Laura Bailey, Abbey's VA, was one of the nurses in the finale.