Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The most recent Byzantium and Friends was a discussion of "peasants" - rural non-elites - and how to make them historically visible, and what we learn about them and their lives when we can start to see them in the record. The particular test case was about late Byzantine Aegean islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Koramei posted:

This is a super fascinating chart, but I'm actually surprised at how low the even late Medieval share was. I'd always assumed it was more like... 90% or even more. Less than 60% in England and the Low Countries even in 1400 -- so 4 in 10 weren't farmers (and it's even including fishermen and such) -- is pretty striking.

Really curious to see similar data about other regions too. Is the initial decline because land use was already at its full extent, and so surplus labor went on to do other things, whereas e.g. rice agriculture might use (or have capacity to use) more labor per unit of land and so you'd e.g. have a higher percentage of farmers in rice-dominated economies? Or are ranged like 60-70% actually totally normal.

All the pre-1800 numbers are estimates, based on the interpretation of data for the purposes of economics studies. One of the quirks of this is the definition of employment, one of the papers cited makes clear that it doesn't count 70% of women's labour because it wasn't paid. This is well and good for economists, I guess, but it does mean that you have to consider a women who is married to a farmer, raises farm children (known as unpaid labour), and does the household duties in the farm etc. may not be an agricultural worker.

The chart makers have done something very annoying, which is mixing up data for different countries from different studies with different methodologies. Specifically, the data for England is from a study where the woman described above is only 30% an agricultural worker. The data for other countries is from a paper that included with a broader population study where a ratio of 0.8 is applied to the documented rural population of various countries. Some assumptions were made about both populations to streamline the process, such ignoring the complicated calculation of farmers on the edge of urban areas or discounting any dual-occupation workers (farmer/smith, farmer/carpenter etc.) from being agricultural workers (This was also an economics paper). In this paper, England actually is 75% agricultural worker in the late middle ages.

The Low Countries and Italy were known for being unusually urbanized place in the Middle Ages, so them having a lower ratio ratio isn't that surprising. More surprising maybe is Spain, whose population was estimated to be 65% agricultural in 1500 in the paper, just a bit higher than Italy.

Overall I'd say that the numbers used here skew low for the purposes of understanding, from a historical perspective, how many people worked in agriculture.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 11, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CrypticFox posted:

I'm not really sure, I don't know enough about Early Modern Europe to answer that. The two numbers I've seen cited for the percentage of the Roman Empire that worked in agriculture are 80% and 90%, (although those are pretty rough guesses based on archaeological field surveys, Grand Fromage might be able to better speak to that question).

Yeah around 70% to 80% is what I've read. Ancient demography is all insane guesswork though so I wouldn't take any of it as gospel. Somewhere between 20% and 30% of the Roman population was urban and the vast majority of the rural population would've been doing agriculture.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is there somewhere good to read up on this kind of stuff about the Vikings?
Kim Hjardar's books Vikings and Vikings at War is considered to be pretty good.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I've been doing some reading on this and part of the answer is food imports. The Dutch Republic and Northern italy in the 16th/17th are big net grain importers - From the Baltic, England, Southern France, etc. You can sustain a more urbanised population if you essentially outsource your grain farming to elsewhere and pay for it with traded and finished goods.

A interesting exception is England, which over the 1550-1700 period urbanises while remaining a net grain exporter. London triples in population and becomes one of the great cities of Europe while England as a whole continues to export more grain than it imports. How? Historians still aren't sure. But it's one of the first signs something odd is happening in the English economy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I've been doing some reading on this and part of the answer is food imports. The Dutch Republic and Northern italy in the 16th/17th are big net grain importers - From the Baltic, England, Southern France, etc. You can sustain a more urbanised population if you essentially outsource your grain farming to elsewhere and pay for it with traded and finished goods.

A interesting exception is England, which over the 1550-1700 period urbanises while remaining a net grain exporter. London triples in population and becomes one of the great cities of Europe while England as a whole continues to export more grain than it imports. How? Historians still aren't sure. But it's one of the first signs something odd is happening in the English economy.
Fell Masonic sorceries, I reckon

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Wait England exported grain? I thought during that period England was importing tons of grain from America.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Wait England exported grain? I thought during that period England was importing tons of grain from America.

From its barely just established colonies? Not that I've ever heard...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
In the 18th century British America was definitely exporting grain, because when the revolution hit, trade got upended and a bunch of slaves in the Caribbean starved since most of the arable land there was just sugar plantation and actual stuff of life was supplied by import. After the period cited though

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
One of the key bits about England and the British Isles in particular is that the majority of its farmland has relatively easy access to the sea, either directly or through rivers running nearby, in contrast to countries like France or Spain. It's a lot easier to move bulk goods like grain around by sea than by land, which means that for a lot of English farmers the market for their produce isn't "The local town I can huck things to via oxcart" but rather "As far as a boat can reach," which is pretty drat far. This means that English farmers (near water access anyways) have more incentive to produce surplus grain than the average inland French farmer - there's no point busting your back to create a massive surplus when the local town can only buy so much grain before it's not willing to buy more and you can't realistically shift your grain anywhere else, but if you can dispose of your surplus grain in London or some hungry Dutch city across the way even when your local township has said "No thanks, we're full," you can sell as much as you can make as long as there are big coastal urban centers somewhere nearby consuming more than their locality can feed. It also means that the average English farmer is considerably savvier about international trade and sophisticated financial markets and instruments than the average French farmer which has some interesting implications as the Industrial Revolution starts rolling around and there's a lot of projects offering big returns on investment if only they could get some capital to get off the ground...

That being said I've mostly seen the dynamic I described there in the 18th century, maaaybe the 17th. I'm not sure how far it applies before then - you'd need certain preconditions to get things going, like enough large coastal cities to provide a market, sufficiently developed coastal trade and trade infrastructure to be able to transport the surpluses, etc. etc.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Here's the blog post which first inspired this question. I'd underestimated London's growth during this time - over 150 years it goes from 50,000 people to 500,000. 50,000 to 200,000 happens in the first 50 years, 1550-1600. The size alone isn't exceptional - Paris and Constaniople are as big already in Europe. But the growth is, especially given England is not yet a imperial power in line with the french and ottomans.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 11, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

skasion posted:

In the 18th century British America was definitely exporting grain, because when the revolution hit, trade got upended and a bunch of slaves in the Caribbean starved since most of the arable land there was just sugar plantation and actual stuff of life was supplied by import. After the period cited though

Also presumably that's exporting grain direct to the Caribbean which makes a lot more sense logistically than shipping it back to Britain.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

feedmegin posted:

Also presumably that's exporting grain direct to the Caribbean which makes a lot more sense logistically than shipping it back to Britain.

Yeah probably. they must have been more or less capable of sending large amounts of food across the Atlantic though. Since after all, they were feeding all* the people making the voyages across, one way or another. More probably as flour or hard tack than raw cereal I would think, and with a relatively high tolerance of spoilage

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

skasion posted:

Yeah probably. they must have been more or less capable of sending large amounts of food across the Atlantic though. Since after all, they were feeding all* the people making the voyages across, one way or another. More probably as flour or hard tack than raw cereal I would think, and with a relatively high tolerance of spoilage

https://www.ouramericanrevolution.org/index.cfm/page/view/m0091

quote:

Colonial American Exports

At the end of the Seven Years War, the British considered the West Indies the most valuable commercial asset of their empire in North America. By the early 1770s the value of the sugar, rum, and molasses Barbados, Jamaica, and Leeward Island colonies produced (about £4,000,000 worth) was greater than the value of exports shipped from all the mainland colonies combined (just over £3,000,000). Among the mainland colonies, the Chesapeake led in value of exports, primarily tobacco, grain, iron, and lumber, totalled just over £1,000,000. The rice, indigo, deerskins, naval stores, and grain exported from the Lower South colonies came to about £600,000. New England and the Middle Colonies exported a wide range of products including iron, wheat, livestock, whale oil, fish, and rum, worth about £500,000 annually. Newfoundland, Quebec, and Nova Scotia, recently acquired from the French, exported much less; the value of fish and furs was only about £200,000.

Five commodities accounted for over 60 percent of the total value of the mainland colonies' exports: Tobacco, bread and flour, rice, dried fish, and indigo. Tobacco was by far the highest-valued due to the duties assessed on it on export from America and import into Britain.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

That doesn't disagree with the suggestion that those wheat exports were mostly feeding Caribbean islands that weren't growing their own, though.

(Also, again this is later than the period we were talking about)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nothingtoseehere posted:

A thing I found interesting in The Great Divergence is that England during that period is relying on its colonies very heavily for clothing production - basically the land that owuld normally be used very very heavily for flax and sheep is outside of England during that period.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alhazred posted:

Kim Hjardar's books Vikings and Vikings at War is considered to be pretty good.
Awesome, thank you!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i was always curious about how quickly new crop strains develop in pre modern societies. In my head it makes sense for medieval farms to be more productive per acre than an roman republic era one because there's a thousand years of crop selection between the two but idk if people thought of their plants like that

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tomn posted:

One of the key bits about England and the British Isles in particular is that the majority of its farmland has relatively easy access to the sea, either directly or through rivers running nearby, in contrast to countries like France or Spain. It's a lot easier to move bulk goods like grain around by sea than by land, which means that for a lot of English farmers the market for their produce isn't "The local town I can huck things to via oxcart" but rather "As far as a boat can reach," which is pretty drat far. This means that English farmers (near water access anyways) have more incentive to produce surplus grain than the average inland French farmer - there's no point busting your back to create a massive surplus when the local town can only buy so much grain before it's not willing to buy more and you can't realistically shift your grain anywhere else, but if you can dispose of your surplus grain in London or some hungry Dutch city across the way even when your local township has said "No thanks, we're full," you can sell as much as you can make as long as there are big coastal urban centers somewhere nearby consuming more than their locality can feed. It also means that the average English farmer is considerably savvier about international trade and sophisticated financial markets and instruments than the average French farmer which has some interesting implications as the Industrial Revolution starts rolling around and there's a lot of projects offering big returns on investment if only they could get some capital to get off the ground...

That being said I've mostly seen the dynamic I described there in the 18th century, maaaybe the 17th. I'm not sure how far it applies before then - you'd need certain preconditions to get things going, like enough large coastal cities to provide a market, sufficiently developed coastal trade and trade infrastructure to be able to transport the surpluses, etc. etc.

Another interesting example of this is the US right after the Revolution. Farmers along the coast could pretty much grow whatever they wanted, in whatever amounts they wanted, because it was pretty easy to move it to port. Inland farmers, though, had to contend with lovely transportation infrastructure, and once you got up into the hills/mountains where the rivers stopped being navigable it turned into a shitshow. Doubly so once you get over them - remember the Ohio/Mississippi network isn't a 100% American highway yet.

As a result you see a gently caress ton of distilling, because it's a hell of a lot easier to get a few barrels of whisky to market out on the coast than a few hundred pounds of grain (roughly 25 lbs of grain to 1 gallon of liquor iirc). This rapidly lead to a rebellion out on the frontier when the new government tried to tax domestically manufactured liquor to help pay for the wartime debts, in no small part because it was seen as falling much heavier on the farmers in the hinterland that relied on distilling to earn anything off their surplus.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Agean90 posted:

i was always curious about how quickly new crop strains develop in pre modern societies. In my head it makes sense for medieval farms to be more productive per acre than an roman republic era one because there's a thousand years of crop selection between the two but idk if people thought of their plants like that

Crop selection was a thing, which is why we have maize. There's some other possible evidence of it going on happening in NA in the North East but that's outside my area of expertise, I just remember seeing an article or two about it.

I have absolutely zero idea how/if it occurred in Europe. But conceptually it's pretty easy to work through.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Another interesting example of this is the US right after the Revolution. Farmers along the coast could pretty much grow whatever they wanted, in whatever amounts they wanted, because it was pretty easy to move it to port. Inland farmers, though, had to contend with lovely transportation infrastructure, and once you got up into the hills/mountains where the rivers stopped being navigable it turned into a shitshow. Doubly so once you get over them - remember the Ohio/Mississippi network isn't a 100% American highway yet.

As a result you see a gently caress ton of distilling, because it's a hell of a lot easier to get a few barrels of whisky to market out on the coast than a few hundred pounds of grain (roughly 25 lbs of grain to 1 gallon of liquor iirc). This rapidly lead to a rebellion out on the frontier when the new government tried to tax domestically manufactured liquor to help pay for the wartime debts, in no small part because it was seen as falling much heavier on the farmers in the hinterland that relied on distilling to earn anything off their surplus.
Interestingly the old Civ knock-off "Colonization" makes this really intuitive.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Agean90 posted:

The how is pretty simple: farmers are not in fact total dumbasses they're as smart as anybody else, they notice that one batch of plants does better or worse in a given area, they adjust their planting patterns, and they tell the people around them about what they learned.

The thing that is probably worth saying though is that "productive per acre" is not generally considered to be the first priority of subsistence farmers. At the end of the day subsistence farming is in fact fairly risky as survival strategies go, and so the priority is less "most production per acre" and more "least likely to fail." This has a bunch of interesting effects that change how they farm compared to modern farming, such as having many different micro-strains of crops to use in different microclimates (e.g. one strain of wheat for the sunny side of a hill, one for the shady side of a hill), and having non-contiguous plots (as in, in a given hamlet, each farmer would have a patchwork of plots that are separated by other farmers from the same hamlet). This also meant having a mix of crops that performed well in wet years vs dry years, and of course prioritizing things like hardiness against pests.

Now, people are not monolithic and crops need to be a certain level of productive, and of course there's a security that comes from having crops be more productive, so productivity per acre is not a nonpriority, but crops are going to be selected for a lot of different virtues and the priority is generally going to be "not dying" above "maximum production."

e: A cool piece of european crop selection is rye. Rye mimics wheat, and in the middle east was considered a pest: rye is compared to wheat quite bitter, and anybody who has baked with it knows that its protein content is much lower, so in the middle east people just basically threw it out. But Europeans did in fact take to it and use it when the middle eastern agricultural package was imported into Europe, implying that there was a substantial enough difference in preferences between early farmers in europe vs the eastern mediterranean to justify adopting a whole type of crop that was from the eastern med and not grown there.

Tulip fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 13, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Never mind crops, try the horse collar. Efficient ploughing is important.

Iirc rye is much more cold tolerant than wheat. Better bitter bread than none if there's a frost. Note where rye bread is popular today...

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 13, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also weeding wheat fields put a lot of selective pressure on weeds to 'look like wheat', inadvertently creating enough seletion pressure to invent new cereal crops.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

No sense going against the grain

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Brawnfire posted:

No sense going against the grain

Amaizeing

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rice one

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Agean90 posted:

There was a change in field rotation that was a big deal. Two field went to three field. But I think that was a relatively late change.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Not specifically related to any comments but the conversation reminded me that I think people tend to imagine people from the past as stupid, but they weren't. They were just as intelligent as us. They just knew less, or the knowledge they required on a daily basis was very different, and we've built up on generations of discovery and trial and error. Hundreds of years from now people will probably ask why we didn't know about flying cars when we had regular ones or whatever, and flying cars are sooooo simple.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
On the other hand, they were just as stupid as us

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Wasn't the development of three crop rice fields partially because of better cultivars of rice?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

On the other hand, they were just as stupid as us

Also true

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We do have flying cars. They're called helicopters. What we don't have is the socio-economic conditions that would make them a practical option for the kinds of activity stereotypically imagined when speaking of flying cars.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

We don't have flying cars because the traffic control, airspace, and safety control management would be absolutely insane to deal with.

Also flying car prototypes and working models exist.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lawman 0 posted:

Wasn't the development of three crop rice fields partially because of better cultivars of rice?

Rice? No. I could be wrong but I don't know what crop rotation you even do with rice. I don't remember for dry rice but I know for wet rice you can do up to 24 harvest between fallowing of a given field.

Two to three field is a kind of enormous strategic change. Two field is 1 field planted, 1 field fallow. Three field is 1 field planted with nitrogen depleters e.g. oats, wheat, 1 field planted with nitrogen fixers e.g. beans, and 1 fallow. This is an enormous change in the whole way you think about your land use.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Not specifically related to any comments but the conversation reminded me that I think people tend to imagine people from the past as stupid, but they weren't. They were just as intelligent as us. They just knew less, or the knowledge they required on a daily basis was very different, and we've built up on generations of discovery and trial and error. Hundreds of years from now people will probably ask why we didn't know about flying cars when we had regular ones or whatever, and flying cars are sooooo simple.

The only other thing to consider is there is a lot more people around now, so the chances that someone thinks of a good idea are higher even if everything else is equal. I think that's part of where this modern question of "why did it take people so long to think of this?" comes from - there are more people now, and more people who research full time, or try and come up with novel applications of existing ideas/technology full time. So of course things get discovered/invented/improved faster now.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's also easier to invent something new when there are more previous discoveries to build upon

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's also easier to invent something new when there are more previous discoveries to build upon

I invented this sword to kill my stupid neighbor working all year to collect a crop when I can just raid him at the right moment.

I feel like we were our own worse enemies for scientific discovery.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It took ages to make one Rome and now we have like five of the things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Crab Dad posted:

I invented this sword to kill my stupid neighbor working all year to collect a crop when I can just raid him at the right moment.

I feel like we were our own worse enemies for scientific discovery.

Eventually however I realized that starving my neighbor by raiding him all the time meant I wouldn't have anything to raid and would starve myself, so instead I learned to threaten to raid him and in exchange he'd give me part of his crop, but not enough to starve him. The great thing was that since I was only THREATENING to raid instead of ACTUALLY raiding, I had a lot more time and could threaten a lot more people and thus ensure a good income even without ever actually raiding while taking less per raid! Better yet, eventually I learned that I could claim to be working to protect him from OTHER people raiding him so he could even feel grateful!

And thus taxation was invented. Progress!

(just in case: this is a joke, i am aware that there is more to it than that)