Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Now just crank this process up to 'really fast' and congrats, you have a teleporter.

Or make the replacements digital and congrats, you have a brain uploader.

The lines people try to draw are just ways to launder their discomfort. The truth is that the discomfort is illogical and not founded in physical reality.

it is founded in the physical reality that i will die lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mllaneza posted:

All of this is pointless, you are conscious throughout the transport process.

That just means all the different post-mes remember the process. It doesn't matter whether or not Theseus knows you're copying his ship; your copy isn't his ship.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hobbes's extension of the experiment is the more interesting one at any rate. Not really applicable to the transporter paradox because it implies a transfer of matter over time instead of instantaneous copying.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
Permutation City by Greg Egan has some really interesting things to say about the nature of consciousness and how it arises from the relationship and interaction of _things_. I DNF because I suffered a crippling bout of existential and philosophical dread. Depending on the specifics, I'd be ok chucking myself through a star trek transporter, but gently caress uploading my mind. I ain't doing that poo poo in this late-stage capitalist hellscape we live in.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

but gently caress uploading my mind. I ain't doing that poo poo in this late-stage capitalist hellscape we live in.

If you consider it as setting a time bomb for revenge, a last-ditch upload makes a lot of sense. If I can't bring the bastards down, someone who thinks they're me might.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ooh! Ooh! Are we getting into Self and the Future territory? We gonna get to the part where we torture the hypothetical teleporter-copies to figure out how people really feel about them?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That just means all the different post-mes remember the process. It doesn't matter whether or not Theseus knows you're copying his ship; your copy isn't his ship.

Funnily enough a sort of Ship of Theseus approach is the most compelling one to me for continuity of personal identity over time.

But yeah all of this wool-gathering about exact-copy teleporters suffers from the same problem as the thought experiments philosophers use to think about this stuff: there is zero evidence that copying a mind or a body is even possible, and fairly compelling reasons to believe it never will be.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

My favourite teleporter story is in Kraken, which is primarily an urban fantasy novel. One guy invents a magic teleporter (IIRC he was a trekkie and the device was powered by the intensity of his obsession with the show). Except, oops, souls are real in this world and now he's haunted by dozens of ghosts of himself.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Any book that can inspire dread sounds interesting! Added to the to-read pile. I remember Egan's short stories being solid but a little dry, so I guess I'll see how Permutation City compares

Not quite sci-fi, but is Parfit's Reasons and Persons still relevant here? From half-remembered Phil 101 lectures I remember his intuitions about the usual identity thought experiments mostly aligning with my own, but 1984 was a while ago. Maybe there's a new school of thought in town?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Everyone posted:

I'm just flashing back to West End Games Paranoia RPG when every player started with something like six clones because characters died quickly and horribly in that game.

"Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend..."

Paranoia was great for that. I used to GM it and played the Computer as the ship's computer from Dark Star. Although the chief skill required for a Paranoia GM is to not corpse during the mission briefing while explaining to a player that not only is the vital piece of mission information he has requested not available at his security clearance, he also isn't high enough security clearance to be told what clearance he requires.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sibling of TB posted:

I don't get it. Is that the rationalist meltdown?

Yeah, that's Roko's Basilisk. It has to be explained with a lot of "no, really, it really is that incredibly stupid trust me you're not misunderstanding."

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

CaptainCrunch posted:

I mean yes? I never claimed to be a being of pure logic and reason. I'll die no matter what I do, I can't change that. But I can avoid stepping into any transporters and dying then. Discussions like this always make me feel as if I'm being peer pressured into sci-fi transporter suicide.
Does it still not matter if the transporter in question is designed (by Philosophical Sadists, Inc.) so that the destination copy of you doesn't "activate" until you physically put a pistol to your head and pull the trigger? Same outcome, just messier. You die, exact perfect copy flies off in the Enterprise.
Sorry, I'm just baffled by the cavalier attitude of "I'm super chuffed to die so some other guy can be in Paris for lunch."

You're just being peer pressured into accepting the truth, the light and the way, physicalist monism.

You can view any thought experiment of the form "I do something horrible, but an identical copy of me survives" as equivalent to "I survive, but an identical copy of me is forced to do something horrible". As you enter such a situation, ask yourself: am I comfortable with one of my causal descendants shooting themself in the head, knowing that me, my consciousness, is going to go forward and experience that—along one of the forks I'm about to create? If not, don't do it.

quote:

Instantiating a copy of me, after I've kicked it for whatever reason, is A-OK with me, because it wouldn't be me.

It would be you. From your post-resurrection perspective you'd just have a gap in your memory. After all, the only reason we can claim to be the same people we were yesterday is that our structure today is deeply caused by who we were yesterday. The fact that some part of that causation is, say, a digital backup device doesn't change that.

Doktor Avalanche posted:

it is founded in the physical reality that i will die lol

But you won't lol! The good news is here: if we get disintegrated and then put back together again we don't actually die. Because it ain't the disintegration that kills us, any more than it's the heart stopping or the head exploding or the skin turning to rhinestones. It's the staying that way which kills ya.

Death is just irrecoverable loss of state. If the state survives, so do you.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I always thought consciousness was a thorny philosophical subject. Little did I realize that the leading minds in the field are right here in a thread about genre fiction, ready to educate me. :)

Who else would care enough to have opinions, really

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I would allow none of you around any of my causal descendants.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CaptainCrunch posted:

I mean yes? I never claimed to be a being of pure logic and reason. I'll die no matter what I do, I can't change that. But I can avoid stepping into any transporters and dying then. Discussions like this always make me feel as if I'm being peer pressured into sci-fi transporter suicide.
Does it still not matter if the transporter in question is designed (by Philosophical Sadists, Inc.) so that the destination copy of you doesn't "activate" until you physically put a pistol to your head and pull the trigger? Same outcome, just messier. You die, exact perfect copy flies off in the Enterprise.
Sorry, I'm just baffled by the cavalier attitude of "I'm super chuffed to die so some other guy can be in Paris for lunch."

My theoretical comfort on the neuron replacer is predicated at it happening in concert with, and at the same rate as my brain meat's own replacement speed. I figure it's happening at that rate for a reason. I also wouldn't want it for the purpose of "transferring" myself anywhere either physically or digitally, for reasons stated above. Instantiating a copy of me, after I've kicked it for whatever reason, is A-OK with me, because it wouldn't be me.
Having my robot duplicate stomp me to jelly in some sort of Highlander "there can only be one" fiasco is also an unacceptable scenario.
Now, I know there is some degree of consciousness during sleep, but let's take incredibly deep anesthesia for a second. We place you in as deep of an anesthetic coma as we can, do a heart transplant or whatever, and then move you somewhere else. You wake up.

From the perspective of the "you" that would hypothetically be teleported, these conditions are identical, barring the heart transplant (which also isn't necessary for the hypothetical). From the perspective of you, now, they also seem the same to me. Your current consciousness will end on induction of the anesthesia. I'm really not seeing how they are different at all without there being some core essence that isn't just an emergent property of neurons and hormones. I don't know, maybe there is more to consciousness than that.

Like...would you be somehow ok with this process taking place over days, with parts of you physically existing in both locations until enough of your new brain wakes up? You would have some degree of physical continuity there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CaptainCrunch posted:

There's is no amount of philosophical hand waving that is going to convince me that it's a-ok to vaporize yourself because a perfect duplicate appears somewhere else. The me of now dies. End of line.

Yeah but in Altered Carbon people are aware of this but just don't give a gently caress and the main issue the Catholics have is over what happens to the soul. It is extremely easy to believe that smart marketing would quickly create a generation of people that simply do not care.

In Peter F. Hamilton's books society is also totally A-ok with restoring a copy of themselves from old memory backups to the point where they'll go intergalactic thrillseeking totally comfortable knowing they'll probably die. This is maybe less believable but also in line with how a lot of people act even without the possibility of having a backup.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 14, 2023

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I'm trying to piss of Roko's Basilisk so bad that it exclusively targets me. Yeah it sounds stupid and it is, but you'll all be calling me a hero in five million years when you're comfortably, blissfully dead and I'm stuck in an eternity of robot hell.

Hey Roko's Basilisk, I could've invented you yesterday but I didn't. Soulless dumbass. You'll never understand music or properly taste a burger. gently caress you.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

General Battuta posted:

It would be you. From your post-resurrection perspective you'd just have a gap in your memory. After all, the only reason we can claim to be the same people we were yesterday is that our structure today is deeply caused by who we were yesterday. The fact that some part of that causation is, say, a digital backup device doesn't change that.

This is where the irreconcilable differences hit me. It's not going to be my post-resurrection perspective, it'd be his. A perfect copy is still a copy.
Hell, my perfect copy is goin to have the exact same opinion and will likely develop a fairly serious substance abuse habit post res.

Still enjoy reading books about this poo poo tho!
Read one, can't remember the title or author, where a guy with some incurable disease opts for an upload to robot procedure. It involves signing away your legal personhood, irrevocably, to the robot copy. The narrative shifts to the robot after that and he finds himself plagued by lawsuits from the flesh-him who, after a year or two in the hospice, was cured of the disease by a new treatment and wants his bank accounts and freedom back.
Robot him just waits for the fleshbag to die of old age.
There's also a primary plot that he's the only robot upload who can have concurrent running copies because of something to do with how the quantum dots of his consciousness (I forget exactly how the author handwaved it) and so he allows unactivated copies to be sent out on sub-light space probes to explore other star systems. I think he had telepathy with his copies too, because if entanglement?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Ravenfood posted:

Now, I know there is some degree of consciousness during sleep, but let's take incredibly deep anesthesia for a second. We place you in as deep of an anesthetic coma as we can, do a heart transplant or whatever, and then move you somewhere else. You wake up.

From the perspective of the "you" that would hypothetically be teleported, these conditions are identical, barring the heart transplant (which also isn't necessary for the hypothetical). From the perspective of you, now, they also seem the same to me. Your current consciousness will end on induction of the anesthesia. I'm really not seeing how they are different at all without there being some core essence that isn't just an emergent property of neurons and hormones. I don't know, maybe there is more to consciousness than that.

Like...would you be somehow ok with this process taking place over days, with parts of you physically existing in both locations until enough of your new brain wakes up? You would have some degree of physical continuity there.

Funnily enough, there was a huge ethical argument over anesthesia when it was invented. https://daily.jstor.org/19th-century-anesthesia-and-the-politics-of-pain/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CaptainCrunch posted:

This is where the irreconcilable differences hit me. It's not going to be my post-resurrection perspective, it'd be his. A perfect copy is still a copy.

There's also, definitionally, no such thing as a "perfect" copy. The notion is oxymoronic, an impossibility.

I'm standing *here*. My copy is over *there*. It takes up a different position in space and time. It has a different perspective. That perspective shift *by itself* voids the authenticity of the copy.

All a human being is, end of the day, boils down to a point of view -- however limited, mutable, or frangible. And that's the one thing that can't be copied. If sheets of paper had sentience and you ran them all through a Xerox and printed the exact same thing on every page, each individual sheet would have an ever-so-slightly different view of the world.

(click for big if you don't mind Sandman spoilers)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 14, 2023

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's also, definitionally, no such thing as a "perfect" copy. The notion is oxymoronic, an impossibility.

I'm standing *here*. My copy is over *there*. It takes up a different position in space and time. It has a different perspective. That perspective shift *by itself* voids the authenticity of the copy.

And in the case of brain upload, it’s not even close. No-one talks about how much the PNS and other non-neural parts of the body also affect someone’s feelings and personality. Futurist bros only think about the brain and how liberating it would be to shed their “meat” but what that might do to the mind could be totally horrific

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah but in Altered Carbon people are aware of this but just don't give a gently caress and the main issue the Catholics have is over what happens to the soul. It is extremely easy to believe that smart marketing would quickly create a generation of people that simply do not care.

In Peter F. Hamilton's books society is also totally A-ok with restoring a copy of themselves from old memory backups to the point where they'll go intergalactic thrillseeking totally comfortable knowing they'll probably die. This is maybe less believable but also in line with how a lot of people act even without the possibility of having a backup.

John Varley did it first. Everyone has backups, and should they die the backup gets copied into a new cloned body and bingo.

I can't remember which story it is offhand that has the protagonist dealing with murder attempts from an illegally-created clone with her memories who's knocking off every new her that's created in the hope of managing to take over (there's only one example of a person legally allowed at one time).

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

John Varley did it first. Everyone has backups, and should they die the backup gets copied into a new cloned body and bingo.

I can't remember which story it is offhand that has the protagonist dealing with murder attempts from an illegally-created clone with her memories who's knocking off every new her that's created in the hope of managing to take over (there's only one example of a person legally allowed at one time).

That one’s actually free to read on his website https://varley.net/excerpt/the-phantom-of-kansas-full-text/

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Ravenfood posted:

I've been through that, twice. And yes, I have struggled with the question of if I'm still the same "me" after each one. The fact that my brain is still "on"--there were wires glued to my head to prove it!--is what let me sleep at night afterward.
Also, I only went through that to save my life. It's not something I'd do casually. Certainly not for lunch in Paris, etc. etc.

Ravenfood posted:

I feel like that's analogous to my "slow neuron replacement" argument. It's a theoretical "...maybe?" but not now, not at our level of capitalism-captured everything.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh absolutely. Look how many nitwits are excited to jam Musk's Patent Monkey-Murder Mental Machine into their heads so they can put their brain on the blockchain or whatever the gently caress. Marketing would absolute convince a large number of people that covid is over it's cool to step into the chipper-shredder. I'm ok with being the crazy guy who still walks to the coffee shop instead of buying coffee for Not-Me-But-Has-My-Memories.

Stuporstar posted:

And in the case of brain upload, it’s not even close. No-one talks about how much the PNS and other non-neural parts of the body also affect someone’s feelings and personality. Futurist bros only think about the brain and how liberating it would be to shed their “meat” but what that might do to the mind could be totally horrific
Right? Stephenson's "Fall" kinda-sorta addressed that by having the magic scan machine scan-vaporize the whole body to account for that. But then the copies, when activated in the sim, were totally different people with no memories of their pre-scan life at all (other than the protagonist, eventually, magically.) So I don't even know what the point is to digitizing yourself to provide a, I don't know a hash for character generation? (I hate-finished that book.)

I loved Altered Carbon, the existential horror was part of the ride for me.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Stuporstar posted:

imagining Peter Watts explaining that you've got to upload your gut microbes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Peter Watts would have the gut microbes running the show

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
https://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=6315

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

CaptainCrunch posted:

This is where the irreconcilable differences hit me. It's not going to be my post-resurrection perspective, it'd be his. A perfect copy is still a copy.)

A guy coming out of a teleporter is quantifiably much more you than the guy you're gonna be tomorrow (forgive me for assuming your gender, assume gender-neutral guy). But we don't have any trouble believing we're gonna become that guy tomorrow. Why? Well, because the media of transfer is familiar. We're comfy with our warm wet brains bubbling along. We know they'll carry us safely through the next 24 hours, barring any stroke or sudden stop on the sidewalk.

Bring in a weird strange teleporter that vaporizes you and it's just unfamiliar. It seems spooky to not exist. Where we do go? What do we become?

Well, the answer is unsatisfyingly simple. Nothing happens to you. You don't go anywhere. As long as that teleporter puts you back together again right, less has happened to you than during a drive to the store or a walk down to the subway stop. We know this because everything you are is physical, including your identity, your very perspective. And if we have a working teleporter, we can check, literally run on a diff on you before and after the teleport. Et voila: all is well. You have not been killed and replaced by a duplicate. You have been picked up, paused, moved, and restarted.

In fact we can then use that teleporter to keep printing more and more of you, all of whom will correctly say they are the Real You, and all of whom will probably have strong opinions about who gets to sleep in the bed at night. This is where things get legally and morally complex. But not philosophically. Philosophically it's all simple as water.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Short version: if a perfect copy is still a copy, then you a Planck instant from now will just be a perfect copy of you right now, copied and pasted through the medium of matter. And I doubt anyone believes we die and are replaced by a duplicate every instant. Or if they do, it doesn't bother them.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Stuporstar posted:

That one’s actually free to read on his website https://varley.net/excerpt/the-phantom-of-kansas-full-text/

That's the one! And has some good discussion about the various versions of Fox all starting from the same set of memories in different circumstances.

Suing for "alienation of personality" when a murderer fucks up and doesn't delete your backup lmao.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

don't kill yourself teleporting battuta, the machine will make a lovely copy and miss whatever makes you write good

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I'm going to teleport to your mom's house and fail to fix her printer

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm gonna hide a copy of Battlefield Earth in the teleportation machine before he uses it

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CaptainCrunch posted:

I've been through that, twice. And yes, I have struggled with the question of if I'm still the same "me" after each one. The fact that my brain is still "on"--there were wires glued to my head to prove it!--is what let me sleep at night afterward.

Depending on how deep they were trying to put you, the wires weren't monitoring you being "on", but actually that you were deep enough.

I've definitely seen EEGs so suppressed they were identical to a dead person's. I'm not saying that an EEG is the only (or even a good) measure of consciousness, but it is a measure of brain electrical activity, and thats as near to "off" as I can think of. Their brain tissue was preserved (as the isoelectric EEG was medication induced) and they were able to recover without issue. So, yeah. Don't know what that means for you, or what your monitoring was or what your sedation goal was.

E:

Stuporstar posted:

Yeah, for the purposes of this discussion I was assuming all of that is copied as well, but that's a fun thought too. I can't imagine someone reacting in horror to the idea of nuking their gut biome with antibiotics because they wouldn't be themselves anymore.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 14, 2023

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Stuporstar posted:

No-one talks about how much the PNS and other non-neural parts of the body also affect someone’s feelings and personality. Futurist bros only think about the brain and how liberating it would be to shed their “meat” but what that might do to the mind could be totally horrific
Pretty sure tech bros are distinctly aware how their disappointing, unloved pns affects their personality and they can't wait to graft themselves some new digital meat

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm gonna hide a copy of Battlefield Earth in the teleportation machine before he uses it

farrier hooking up baru to an e-meter

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
GB i appreciate your commitment to convincing people that dualism is for suckers.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

General Battuta posted:

Well, the answer is unsatisfyingly simple. Nothing happens to you. You don't go anywhere. As long as that teleporter puts you back together again right, less has happened to you than during a drive to the store or a walk down to the subway stop. We know this because everything you are is physical, including your identity, your very perspective. And if we have a working teleporter, we can check, literally run on a diff on you before and after the teleport. Et voila: all is well. You have not been killed and replaced by a duplicate. You have been picked up, paused, moved, and restarted.
I mean, we're devolving to "no it isn't" "yes it is" here. You can say that vaporizing me doesn't kill me over and over in as many well thought out and worded ways as you can think of. There's no amount of argument, especially on this side of the technology curve where it's so very thinly theoretical that we can't teleport an ant much less a person, that will convince my wet bubbling brain that vaporization doesn't kill it. I appreciate the effort you've made, though, and I'd honor the request in your will to treat the post-transporter you as you... even if I'm mentally adding an integer to your name each time. (General Batthreeta, Batfourta, Batfiveta...)

Ravenfood posted:

Depending on how deep they were trying to put you, the wires weren't monitoring you being "on", but actually that you were deep enough.

I've definitely seen EEGs so suppressed they were identical to a dead person's. I'm not saying that an EEG is the only (or even a good) measure of consciousness, but it is a measure of brain electrical activity, and thats as near to "off" as I can think of. Their brain tissue was preserved (as the isoelectric EEG was medication induced) and they were able to recover without issue. So, yeah. Don't know what that means for you, or what your monitoring was or what your sedation goal was.
What? As in zero/zip/nada? That's a bit terrifying. It wasn't a 100% jump cut for me. They did the "count down from 10" each time. My memories stop at six-ish and then there's a discontinuity, a gap. The waking up doesn't butt up against that "six" perfectly, I'm aware that something happened in between, but not what. If it was a perfect cut, I'd be more worried about me-ness. The weird gap makes it feel like I was still there, even if the brain was off for all intents and purposes.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

People usually start laughing and owning on me when I ask this question (more so than before I mean) but I really do mean it seriously: why should being disintegrated kill you?

This isn’t a rhetorical question, I actually specifically mean, why does having your body reduced to caroming vapors kill you? Ordinarily it does kill you, I agree, but why? Why is being disintegrated bad for you in a way that, say, getting a two degree fever isn’t?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
teleported authors can tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Just ignore me if you don’t want to talk about this any more; it’s my special brain worm