Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Omnicarus posted:

Just a heads up for something to keep an eye out for, SOS is going to be pushing the Biotech upgrade that comes with a shitload of other improvements sometime in the next few weeks.

Last I heard they were overhauling ship combat, so that'll be interesting to see. Think I also saw something about holograms getting axed though unfortunately, cool concept but a bit OP if you are willing to micro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

buglord posted:

doesnt matter anymore because fanatical had all of them for roughly 15% off with coupon codes too so welp there goes 50 bones

i threw myself into the deep end with all this new content. the only mod i have installed right now is an item stack size multiplier because the vanilla defaults were too small.

e: i just realized 2 of my colonists were an existing couple and I hope they don't have children because I have no idea how im gonna handle that, we're still barely beyond sleeping in spartan communal bedrooms.

Babies are honestly pretty easy to manage and not like real babies at all, they just lay in a crib and only occasionally need to be played with and fed. It's a bit of a drain on the colony at first but long-term kids have huge long-term payoff since you get to select their passions and traits and you wind up with a really excellent colonist even if you're not putting much effort in

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Babies are honestly pretty easy to manage and not like real babies at all, they just lay in a crib and only occasionally need to be played with and fed. It's a bit of a drain on the colony at first but long-term kids have huge long-term payoff since you get to select their passions and traits and you wind up with a really excellent colonist even if you're not putting much effort in

You can skip the 'playing with' and most of the 'feeding' if you put them somewhere far enough away that the crying won't bother anyone.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Also with Speak Up Child installed they make adorable babbles and call people doo doo heads

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

You can also push hostile factions back to neutral by healing their captured raiders and releasing them. Its much less reliable though.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

isndl posted:

Last I heard they were overhauling ship combat, so that'll be interesting to see. Think I also saw something about holograms getting axed though unfortunately, cool concept but a bit OP if you are willing to micro.

Assuming the experimental branch changelog is up to date:

https://github.com/SonicTHI/SaveOurShip2Experimental

Holograms have been reworked into a "formgel swarm like being" whatever that is because Biotech genes caused too many issues with it. The other big thing bring removed is you'll be able to start a new game with your ship when you travel to new planets, but not revisit old ones anymore which kind of sucks.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Thanks for all the great advice! I'll definitely start trying to not sweat having less efficient early bases. The guides I've been looking at talk about planning your entire base out ahead of time (i have Planning Enhanced so I can lay out some designs and then hide them until I need to look at them) and that's made me very anxious about getting things right the first time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

surfacelevelspeck posted:

Thanks for all the great advice! I'll definitely start trying to not sweat having less efficient early bases. The guides I've been looking at talk about planning your entire base out ahead of time (i have Planning Enhanced so I can lay out some designs and then hide them until I need to look at them) and that's made me very anxious about getting things right the first time.

you do if you want to be optimal because retooling your foundations is really painful and time consuming in the base game. Replace Stuff makes it less obnoxious, if you use that you can always throw up wood walls and dirt floors in an afternoon, start using the structure, and make changes until you're happy with it - at which point you just use Replace Stuff to change the walls to stone and that's that.

but optimal is honestly really for people who are trying to do something like default Strive to Survive or something like that. those standards are outdated and don't make any sense with any DLC anymore. so feel free to ignore their anxiety-inducing advice and do whatever the hell you want, modding the game to your will and tastes. the out of combat speed boost mod someone suggested eliminates a lot of the walkability concerns because people zip around pretty well and you don't need to worry about an extra 5 tiles of walk costing you hours of productivity every quadrum. and it's like gently caress it. who cares. if you didn't do that with a mod you'd just use genes for it. why should you wait until that toll booth to build the base you want?

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
If you're curious about a base design or production building but don't want to commit the resources to it before learning more, you can always spin up a God-mode sandbox game and place stuff for free to try it out. You can also do that in your live game and then revert to a previous save. Or not, I won't tell.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

My biggest struggle has been the fight between "optimal" and "good looking" and honestly anything that makes being optimal less of a thing is good for me, I'll definitely be grabbing that out-of-combat speed boost. I still think I want to plan out the base ahead of time just to be sure I'm using the space in a way that makes sense (and also because I installed Rimatomics and know it can take up a lot of space), but it's good to know I don't need perfect efficient bases any more.

Do y'all have multiple dining halls and rec rooms or do you try to stick them in a central location that pawns can easily access? Right now I've been making an 11x11 (might make it longer to fit more folks just in case) dining room and another 11x11 rec room vaguely close by, but I'm wondering if that's the best way to do it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so the real answer is complicated and depends on a lot of things, including the way you schedule your pawns, and aesthetics are subjective so i can't comment on that. bear with me while i braindump a bit to get you the information you need to make your own call.

pawns seek fun/recreation at 35% if their time is slotted to "Anything" and 95% if their time is slotted for "Recreation". they will eat at 30% food need in both cases. so in an ideal world you would time a "recreation" block around the same time the pawn is getting hungry for the day, so they eat and then immediately go shoot pool or whatever in the same rec/dining hall.

in the real world that's awkward because if the pawn is away from the core base doing farming, building, prisoner/patient care, or anything like that, the walk will disrupt that schedule and leave them with potentially a decently large deficit in mood/needs when they finish and go back to work. you can get around this by simply scheduling them for "Work" explicitly, they will never eat nor recreate while on a Work block. this is good for core productive hours but much past the usual 8 or 9 hours of work a day you're going to see a lot of mood problems so using Work intelligently with Anything is prudent. Which means you are absolutely going to have someone, at some point, want to have some fun while working on the colony walls or harvesting corn, a thousand miles away from the rec room.

so the compromise is to build in ways for a pawn to recreate on the fringes of your colony without having to schlep all the way back to the dining hall in order to have a little fun. i personally do this with chessboards. i put bedrooms/apartments around the core building, thereby on the outskirts of the structures. people don't go back to their rooms to sleep, so this is ok. well you also want beautiful rooms for the mood boosts on your pawns. turns out, well made wooden chesstables have quite a bit of beauty on them, as to game of ur boards if you're tribal. so toss that and a chair or two in there. pawns will think nothing of barging in to someone else's room to play a game of chess in the middle of the day so bedrooms also end up serving double duty as break rooms for pawns that are needing a gently caress this moment.

you can capture this same concept in a number of different ways. someone else pointed out that you probably want hospitals near your walls because that is where people will get injured. true. so what's stopping you from making the hospital a few tiles larger and slapping a chessboard in there, and a horseshoe pin just outside? or, when you install the TV that you probably want in there anyway to keep the patients amused, slap in a few extra chairs to let people pop by and watch the murder she wrote reruns with the people who are stuck in bed?

you will still want the central rec room because tolerance to a specific kind of fun is a thing. pawns cannot just play chess forever. but if you have a break scheduled for midday when they are already taking some time off to eat they'll pick something they haven't done for a while and the break rooms won't lose that much of their effectiveness.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 13, 2023

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Columns also help deal with the 11x11 room issue as you can get more interesting with room dimensions/dynamics without wondering if that little corner outcropping will wind up causing a roof collapse.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

does anyone have any idea how much a pawn is slowed when walking over a shelf tile

like, specifically

are we talking about a 40% penalty? 80%?

e: oh that's handled by the path cost, which is 50 for shelves. so basically i could halve the size of every storage area i've ever designed, fill it to the brim with shelves, and be just as well off as i was in terms of walks with a 50% increase in net storage space. neat.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 13, 2023

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Is there any specific factor that could massively increase the chance of jailbreaks occurring? There's all the basic stuff like number of prisoners and their health, but anything beyond that? The reason I'm asking is that recently the prisoners in my research gulag have been trying to break free a whole lot more than they used to. But I can't think of anything that changed. I don't have more prisoners than before and they're not any healthier; if anything the radical legectomies I've performed on the less useful ones I keep around just in case should help reduce the chance of jailbreak attempts.

Maybe I was just really unlucky or something.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

number of closed doors between them and the edge of the map plays a role, though that's mainly a case of "is 0" or "is 1". are you holding open more perimeter doors than usual?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

jokes posted:

I hope you call your faction The Weedlords

Hemperor Bonghitticus nods in approval before starting a tantrum spiral when the chefs fall behind on Doritos production.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Coolguye posted:

e: oh that's handled by the path cost, which is 50 for shelves. so basically i could halve the size of every storage area i've ever designed, fill it to the brim with shelves, and be just as well off as i was in terms of walks with a 50% increase in net storage space. neat.

My urge due to math was too strong. TLDR, it's not always right to fill a room with shelves, a path can make the room more efficient. This does neglect that you have less overall storage, but you should probably make two smaller storage rooms if you're trying to be efficient.

There is a very brief period when you're loading shelf #3 that the 24-shelf configuration is faster (the third shelf is 2 travel) but after that the 21-storage configuration is always winning.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Stolen from Reddit: the most effective hospital layout:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Devor posted:

My urge due to math was too strong. TLDR, it's not always right to fill a room with shelves, a path can make the room more efficient. This does neglect that you have less overall storage, but you should probably make two smaller storage rooms if you're trying to be efficient.

There is a very brief period when you're loading shelf #3 that the 24-shelf configuration is faster (the third shelf is 2 travel) but after that the 21-storage configuration is always winning.

yea this makes sense to me. using my previous thing as a guide i was intending to keep a very restricted walkway basically to/from the embedded kitchens i have but cut the size of the storage area down drastically. i need to do a bit more math myself, but i THINK i can cut down that central building where it is 18x18 rather than 33x33 and still basically have all the capability i cared about in the larger design. this will mean that the base will inherently have 8 potential outbuildings rather than 12 but i don't remember the last time i used all of those outbuildings so i'm not at all worried about it.

Moon Slayer posted:

this also works in Two Point

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Rimworld only costs more time when transitioning between tiles of different move costs, so it slows you down to climb on the first shelf but once you’re on the shelves you move at normal speed until it’s time to climb off the shelves. This is why if you’re trying to slow down raiders you alternate obstructed/unobstructed tiles, instead of just filling the entire path with obstructions.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Is there any specific factor that could massively increase the chance of jailbreaks occurring? There's all the basic stuff like number of prisoners and their health, but anything beyond that? The reason I'm asking is that recently the prisoners in my research gulag have been trying to break free a whole lot more than they used to. But I can't think of anything that changed. I don't have more prisoners than before and they're not any healthier; if anything the radical legectomies I've performed on the less useful ones I keep around just in case should help reduce the chance of jailbreak attempts.

Maybe I was just really unlucky or something.

The wiki just lists:
Number of doors in their cell.
Prisoner Moving capacity.
Prisoner mood
Genes relating to aggression.
Number of prisoners. Events are rolled per prisoner, meaning that the more prisoners you have, the greater the chance of a prison break happening.

But in my head, I also thought number of doors needed to get outside, and proximity to weapons affected it. Maybe I made that up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Moon Slayer posted:

code:

It's often much harder on the woman than on the man...              -10
It doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears +10

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Heffer posted:

The wiki just lists:
Number of doors in their cell.
Prisoner Moving capacity.
Prisoner mood
Genes relating to aggression.
Number of prisoners. Events are rolled per prisoner, meaning that the more prisoners you have, the greater the chance of a prison break happening.

But in my head, I also thought number of doors needed to get outside, and proximity to weapons affected it. Maybe I made that up.

doors to the outside absolutely matter but it's mostly a "is 1" or "is 0" sort of thing. if you make a ""cell"" that is on the edge of the map and has the door held open, a prisoner will bolt pretty much immediately. i exploited this routinely before tynan put in a negative moodlet for prisoner escape to exile people i didn't want from my colony; if you arrest them and then let them escape they just leave and nobody's sad about it.

now they're a little sad about it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Devor posted:

Why does the number increment by 2 between gray tiles? Once a pawn is on a shelf they go at full speed over all subsequent shelves. Just running on top of the shelves. Like you do.

Otherwise filling a killbox with shelves would be an amazingly good tactic.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Coolguye posted:

doors to the outside absolutely matter but it's mostly a "is 1" or "is 0" sort of thing. if you make a ""cell"" that is on the edge of the map and has the door held open, a prisoner will bolt pretty much immediately. i exploited this routinely before tynan put in a negative moodlet for prisoner escape to exile people i didn't want from my colony; if you arrest them and then let them escape they just leave and nobody's sad about it.

now they're a little sad about it.

Number of doors absolutely matters, there's no penalty for having one exit but more doors will increase escape attempts and it will show in the prison break risk tab. There's no path to the outside consideration either, it's just a raw doors in the room count.

At one point I set up a prison with a couple mini turrets in the corners behind embrasures (mostly for aesthetic reasons since the turrets don't do anything in a prison break anyways), and the embrasures don't count as solid walls so the game calculated the room as having three exit doors even though they all led to the same airlock with single door choke point. Still increased the escape attempts so I had to scrap that design.

If a door is held open prisoners will make a break any time though, usually it's because you blocked the door by accident dropping an item but manually holding the door works too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah to be clear i mean the number of doors to FREEDOM there, obviously doors on the cell design matter as well

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
None of the stuff related to the layout of my gulag has changed, and the prisoners seem (reasonably) happy now that they've forgotten about their entire extended family dying during the raid that brought them here, so it's not that. But while the number of prisoners hasn't really changed, they're not all the same prisoners (there were, uh, accidents when dealing with some of the escape attempts). So maybe I do have a couple of assholes with anger management issues mixed up in there now. I'll check. And if it turns out they can't behave like civilized goddamn people I'll beat them unconscious and find them new jobs in a bioreactor.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devor posted:

Pretty cool, thanks for doing some leg work.

Personally I like the look of a room with clear walkways, I dump a trade beacon in the middle of a room and then plan the rest of it out from there. Here's a storage room that I just made:

This doesn't fit the greatest amount in the least area or anything, but it looks pretty to me. And besides, if I really fill all of these shelves with trade goods (clothes and drugs) then that's just a sign that I've accumulated too much wealth and need to prioritize getting off my rear end and trading away some of it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also, I did not realize that Blood Pumping and Breathing had a 20% impact on movement (e.g. +25% blood pumping from a bionic heart translates to +5% movement speed). Nice little boost that I had been neglecting in my Chrome Warriors

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

None of the stuff related to the layout of my gulag has changed, and the prisoners seem (reasonably) happy now that they've forgotten about their entire extended family dying during the raid that brought them here, so it's not that. But while the number of prisoners hasn't really changed, they're not all the same prisoners (there were, uh, accidents when dealing with some of the escape attempts). So maybe I do have a couple of assholes with anger management issues mixed up in there now. I'll check. And if it turns out they can't behave like civilized goddamn people I'll beat them unconscious and find them new jobs in a bioreactor.

got any hussars? not imprisoning genies? there's some genes and traits that affect prison break likelihoods; specifically, hussars break out constantly, genies never do (well, never violently)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

QuarkJets posted:

Pretty cool, thanks for doing some leg work.

Personally I like the look of a room with clear walkways, I dump a trade beacon in the middle of a room and then plan the rest of it out from there. Here's a storage room that I just made:

This doesn't fit the greatest amount in the least area or anything, but it looks pretty to me. And besides, if I really fill all of these shelves with trade goods (clothes and drugs) then that's just a sign that I've accumulated too much wealth and need to prioritize getting off my rear end and trading away some of it

I always thought trade beacons had to be placed outside? :confused:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Once upon a time they used to, but that was a fairly early version.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Now the main reason to place one outside is that trade ships will drop whatever you buy there instead of (I think) the closest unroofed point to another beacon.

Raiders that come in drop pods and land directly on you seem to lock in on trade beacons too, which means putting one outside will make them land there instead of right in the middle of your freezer or main warehouse. Coincidentally I happen to like having my orbital trade goods delivered right into a minefield.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is there a mod to change that behavior? That's what I did with something along the lines of "infestations spawn in darkness" so that I wouldn't have random bugs popping up in the middle of my mountain miner colony

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Macichne Leainig posted:

Is there a mod to change that behavior? That's what I did with something along the lines of "infestations spawn in darkness" so that I wouldn't have random bugs popping up in the middle of my mountain miner colony

Raise the Roof is probably your best bet for this I think. From what I recall from playing ages ago, the drop pod attacks will just drop them down in any available location within the Home Zone, which includes smashing through roofs directly into your living quarters or kitchen. I've been using it (not that I've had any drop pod raids yet) though I wish there was a way to disable the solar panel roofs so they don't clutter up my research.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Oh nice, that also comes with the ability to eventually remove overhead mountain which I've thought about more than once. Thanks for that recommendation :)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The cornpocalypse begins.

Trader is something of a gamble, I don't intend to assign my lone mechanitor as a trader so it's possible he'll be at a near-constant mood penalty.

Mecha-genes is a weird system, I forget what mod they're even from, and there's a lot of unhelpful descriptions and gene names, I completely forget what Point SX does. But look at that 192 bandwidth. Also 11 control groups, but I've only really ever had need of two so we'll see what I feel like doing with the others.

Not starting with a whole lot of arable land.

Basic shelter and facilities online, initial fields sown. Corn of course, plus small patches of healroot, cotton, tinctoria, and fibercorn. We're going to need a lot of wood, because:

Terraforming requires it. I'm thinking of changing the mod options to take a few silver instead of a log so my expansion is more closely tied to my trading.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Is there a mod that enables you to create your own xenotypes and then have them spawn as part of the regular raids etc? Oh and, if there is, would it work with multiplayer?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that's base biotech functionality.

you need to make or load a custom xenotype from the embark screen (save it if you want to play it across multiple Rims), and ensure you either a) start with one of the customs, or b) have an ideologion for any of the factions that either loves or hates that xenotype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A jargogle posted:

Is there a mod that enables you to create your own xenotypes and then have them spawn as part of the regular raids etc? Oh and, if there is, would it work with multiplayer?

Xenotype Spawn Control gives you a finer tuning of who can show up from what faction, meme, or kind of pawn. I happen to have set the perma-hostile medieval faction as 100% my custom orcs.

Alpha Genes adds two xenohuman factions (one friendly, one hostile) that are mostly composed of the custom xenotypes you've saved.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 14, 2023