Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
been using primocache for ram+nvme as L1+L2 cache for a while, and it seems to work quite well (cache hit rate in the +80s), but i'm wondering how the software handles overprovisioning. is it something i should configure myself, or does the software already take it into account? maybe i should go back and change the partition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Check out this bad boy

https://wccftech.com/apex-storage-x21-aic-features-21-m-2-gen-4-slots-100-pcie-lanes-up-to-168-tb-per-card/

They mention plx switch in it but I am thinking it is a microchip pfx 100, the plx/broadcom top out at 98 lanes plus 2 x1 management lanes. The mchp one the management lanes are usable for regular fanout too at x4.

Probably don’t want all samsung drives on it now though :haw:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

priznat posted:

Check out this bad boy

https://wccftech.com/apex-storage-x21-aic-features-21-m-2-gen-4-slots-100-pcie-lanes-up-to-168-tb-per-card/

They mention plx switch in it but I am thinking it is a microchip pfx 100, the plx/broadcom top out at 98 lanes plus 2 x1 management lanes. The mchp one the management lanes are usable for regular fanout too at x4.

That is such a bizarre product, I can't figure out who it's for.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

BobHoward posted:

"Yeah man it's overkill, I can't fathom a purpose for this thing outside an enterprise workstation or something" I say, insincerely, with photoshop already open and the words MY BIG REMEMBERING SON flicking by in different fonts and colors

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Yeah it’s pretty weird. Packing it full of m.2s, just weird. M.2 is a terrible form factor especially for enterprise. So fiddly.

My guess is for folks who need a lot of high speed storage on workstation class systems (video creation?). A lot of money to spend on specialized one off style systems.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

priznat posted:

Yeah it’s pretty weird. Packing it full of m.2s, just weird. M.2 is a terrible form factor especially for enterprise. So fiddly.

My guess is for folks who need a lot of high speed storage on workstation class systems (video creation?). A lot of money to spend on specialized one off style systems.

Thing is, it has no fan and needs 400 LFM airflow from the system. Not great for most workstations! "Hey we built this thing you can only put in a rackmount server chassis so you can stuff your expensive server full of cheap lovely desktop QLC M.2s. Wanna buy it?"

e: and as I'm sure you're extremely well aware, the price of that PCIe switch and whatever markup they need to at least break even on this weird niche item is likely to cancel out cost savings on the storage

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 13, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Thing is, it has no fan and needs 400 LFM airflow from the system. Not great for most workstations! "Hey we built this thing you can only put in a rackmount server chassis so you can stuff your expensive server full of cheap lovely desktop QLC M.2s. Wanna buy it?"

e: and as I'm sure you're extremely well aware, the price of that PCIe switch and whatever markup they need to at least break even on this weird niche item is likely to cancel out cost savings on the storage

Yeah that’s extremely true, no way you are getting that kind of airflow in a workstation.

Yeah those 100 lane gen4 parts are not cheap! Digikey showing $800 for a pfx100, which are obsolete and no longer made. Maybe they got a batch on clearout :haw:

It’s a very weird product. A 2u box with 20 u.2/edsff nvme drives going to a couple qsfp28s for 400/800Gb ethernet or infiniband or even pcie over optical would be a lot more practical. And that’s what people already make and sell!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My CPU temps are around 50-60C when gaming, GPU is ~70C. I just noticed my m.2 ssd's are both like 54-58C, probably because they have a heatsink and the heatsinks warm up because of GPU's heat output. I have 6x 14mm case fans and they move quite a lot of air, but apparently the GPU's 350W heat output is enough to warm up components on the motherboard.

Should I try to remove the heatsinks and hope the SSD's run cooler? Are there some "safe" temps for m.2 SSD's I should follow? Perhaps I should get a PCIE riser card and put it above GPU? Thanks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Check out this bad boy

not stupid enough, i'll hold out for this thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caUzFaLgoeA

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ihmemies posted:

My CPU temps are around 50-60C when gaming, GPU is ~70C. I just noticed my m.2 ssd's are both like 54-58C, probably because they have a heatsink and the heatsinks warm up because of GPU's heat output. I have 6x 14mm case fans and they move quite a lot of air, but apparently the GPU's 350W heat output is enough to warm up components on the motherboard.

Should I try to remove the heatsinks and hope the SSD's run cooler? Are there some "safe" temps for m.2 SSD's I should follow? Perhaps I should get a PCIE riser card and put it above GPU? Thanks.

NAND flash likes to be warm when it's running, so that's actually just fine. Touch above ideal (~40-50 C) but not a problem.

Warm during operation, cold during storage is what it likes.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 13, 2023

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

priznat posted:

Yeah that’s extremely true, no way you are getting that kind of airflow in a workstation.

Yeah those 100 lane gen4 parts are not cheap! Digikey showing $800 for a pfx100, which are obsolete and no longer made. Maybe they got a batch on clearout :haw:

It’s a very weird product. A 2u box with 20 u.2/edsff nvme drives going to a couple qsfp28s for 400/800Gb ethernet or infiniband or even pcie over optical would be a lot more practical. And that’s what people already make and sell!

You can cram 24 E1.S drives in a 1U box and those E1.S drives have a much higher power envelope as well

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

You can cram 24 E1.S drives in a 1U box and those E1.S drives have a much higher power envelope as well

Yah E1.S are like, sensible m.2s :haw:

I have nightmares of trying to fit lumpy validation boards in 1U servers though. And those horrible loud fans! I hate them.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

makere posted:

Some hours over 10Gbit/s ethernet link, it's not business critical data so I can take that downtime.

I might try out raid0 just to see what the performance is like at first, then if there's issues will fall back to storage spaces.

No offense, but why is it important to have one big pool of storage space instead of just having the 2TB drives be their own things? The only compelling reason I can think of is if you somehow have single files in excess of 2TB, if NTFS can even handle files that big.

I have my Steam library spread over several different drives in my main system, and the only real difference is that some I make sure are on NVMe drives while some I'm content to have on SATA. In my personal experience any attempt to combine different drives into unified storage space inevitably has more downsides than upsides, and in your case being able to use a PCIe card to run two NVMe drives would already be an upside to NOT unifying your storage space.

Having discrete drives doesn't bother me any more than having discrete directories - it's the same thing to my mind only one level up.

I mean, I know everyone is different and has different preferences, but I honestly don't see the point of making everything think it is on C: when having D: and E: usually doesn't cause any problems (aside from the occasional installer which gets very confused if you're using a different drive letter, but even that I think is rare nowadays.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No offense, but why is it important to have one big pool of storage space instead of just having the 2TB drives be their own things? The only compelling reason I can think of is if you somehow have single files in excess of 2TB, if NTFS can even handle files that big.

Having discrete drives doesn't bother me any more than having discrete directories - it's the same thing to my mind only one level up.

For me it's not having to janitor things when I need a bunch of space but the place that space is available isn't where it "should" go. I do the split Steam drive thing too and it's only rarely annoying, but working with large language models can be awkward. I imagine that for Media Enjoyers it's a more common problem still. You can get there with junctions and blah blah but why not let the OS manage that?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

For me it's not having to janitor things when I need a bunch of space but the place that space is available isn't where it "should" go. I do the split Steam drive thing too and it's only rarely annoying, but working with large language models can be awkward. I imagine that for Media Enjoyers it's a more common problem still. You can get there with junctions and blah blah but why not let the OS manage that?

Fair. I know my own use cases are just that - mine - so I don't mean to be bagging on people whose use cases are different.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I determined that the heatsinks were helping. My case ventilation was lacking. I took dust filters out from the 3 140mm front fans, and now the temps are only 51C :-o Magical. Well the Hair Jesus says dust filters are so yesterday's news so...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Fair. I know my own use cases are just that - mine - so I don't mean to be bagging on people whose use cases are different.

I'm also a manual storage control guy, but I've also done enough with junctions & mounting volumes as directories to see how it would become intractable. It's easy when you only have 3-4 drives and relatively modest amounts of data. When you scale to 6 drives and enough data to fill 3/4ths of them it would absolutely suck.

The second you have to think "this drive is getting full, I need to junction some folders over to another drive with free space" you have made a huge mistake.

Mobo raid is still a mistake compared to OS methods, because it's adding a point of failure.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have my Steam library spread over several different drives in my main system, and the only real difference is that some I make sure are on NVMe drives while some I'm content to have on SATA. In my personal experience any attempt to combine different drives into unified storage space inevitably has more downsides than upsides, and in your case being able to use a PCIe card to run two NVMe drives would already be an upside to NOT unifying your storage space.

I mean, I know everyone is different and has different preferences, but I honestly don't see the point of making everything think it is on C: when having D: and E: usually doesn't cause any problems (aside from the occasional installer which gets very confused if you're using a different drive letter, but even that I think is rare nowadays.)

It's mainly what I currently have, but overall it's just easier for me to manage one mass of storage instead of 6 smaller ones, especially when the space starts to get low.
Example: I can have 600GB free on one volume, or 100GB free on 6 different volumes, then need to do some moving around to be able to fit that 150GB game.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Klyith posted:

The second you have to think "this drive is getting full, I need to junction some folders over to another drive with free space" you have made a huge mistake.

Yeah, I'm just going to have to keep manually handling my poo poo somewhat, sigh.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dogen posted:

Yeah, I'm just going to have to keep manually handling my poo poo somewhat, sigh.

If this is in reference to your previous post:

Dogen posted:

Just out of curiosity is doing 2x10gb (identical) using windows storage spaces reasonable just because I want one drive letter or is it a bad idea for some reason?

Using storage spaces you won't have that problem -- windows will run the two drives together and stripe data across both, you won't have to manage anything.

If one drive dies, all data is lost. But you were backing up your data anyways, right?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

While it's cool that Steam and the like let you have multiple library locations, it still kind of sucks if you have to move them. Steam is fine but the new EA app didn't let me, although moving the game install to a new drive and doing a reinstall seems to have saved me a giant download. And a couple of other older game launchers just die on it if you forget change the links before you physically move the data

I still remember manually softlinking poo poo around between my HDD and small SSD and while it worked it still sucked and I'm glad I just have a single 4TB drive I can throw poo poo on blindly. Storage janitorial work is really something I don't want to deal with in my personal time

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I haven't used it myself but I'm pretty sure drivepool is exactly what you want for stuff like game installs

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

VostokProgram posted:

I haven't used it myself but I'm pretty sure drivepool is exactly what you want for stuff like game installs

Can confirm, with one caveat: Xbox Game Pass games will not install on a pooled drive. All the others (Steam, GOG, EA, Ubisoft, Epic, Amazon Games) work just fine with Drivepool.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The other side of fire sale SSD prices

Micron Loses $2.312 Billion as Demand for DRAM and 3D NAND Nosedives

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/micron-loses-dollar2312-billion-as-demand-for-dram-and-3d-nand-nosedives

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it is a pretty good time when 1tb drives you don't expect to kill themselves are going for $60 +/- 5 and 2tb drives are not all that much more expensive per gb/tb, but most drives below $50/tb are "race to the bottom" tier if amazon reviews are anything to go by

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

What's the goto option of 1-2TB M.2 SSD? It's going to be mainly storing Steam games and some random crap I have on my HDD (that I'm hoping to replace with this), so it doesn't really need massive performance (or write endurance I guess).

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

WD's SN570 (the SN770 is the same drive only PCIe4) and the SK Hynix Gold P31 are priced fairly similarly at $60/tb most of the time.

(of the third company known to be reliable, Crucial's only worthwhile drive is the P5 Plus (which is PCIe4) which is $123 for 2tb on Amazon and $11 more for the heatsink, which PCIe4 drives usually need for the controller, modern PCIe3 drives not so much)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rinkles posted:

The other side of fire sale SSD prices

Micron Loses $2.312 Billion as Demand for DRAM and 3D NAND Nosedives

i mean, do they really expect people upgrading to 8TB SSDs and 64GB DDR5 just for watching youtube and poo poo

also lol at nvidia almost singlehandedly killing demand for non-GPU parts

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mmkay posted:

What's the goto option of 1-2TB M.2 SSD? It's going to be mainly storing Steam games and some random crap I have on my HDD (that I'm hoping to replace with this), so it doesn't really need massive performance (or write endurance I guess).

A super-cheap option for your purpose is the Solidigm P41 Plus 1TB >$50 | 2TB $90
This isn't the greatest drive, it's a QLC drive that has pretty poor performance in anything but reads. But for video games and random crap that's fine. I'd only buy this if you are ok with it always being secondary storage, and don't care about re-using it as a main drive in the future. As a HDD replacement, it's fine. Especially if staying under $100 means you can do the 2TB size.

If you want to spend more money, I have a hard time jumping to anything other than the SN770, current all around bang-for-buck champ. It's kinda a waste for your job -- depending on what your main system drive is, I'd probably put the 770 in the prime OS & fast drive position and move whatever you have now to secondary.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions. My other SSDs are actually old 840 and 850 EVO SATA drives (750GB total), so nothing special. As mentioned the only purpose I'll ever have for this is to replace the spinning HDD, so I'm fine with QLCs. Eventually I might get around to upgrading my boot drive to something speedier/to get rid of the SATA cables if I ever feel like it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Klyith posted:

If you want to spend more money, I have a hard time jumping to anything other than the SN770, current all around bang-for-buck champ.

just got the 2TB for $118 pre-tax, because hot drat

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Looking to add a new drive primarily for games. No idea who the new players are and what the sweet spot is for quick storage so could use some help.

Motherboard: gigabyte x570 aorus elite (believe this has dual pcie 4.0 x4 m.2 connecters with pcie4/3 NVMe support according to the website)

My fastest drive right now is a 850evo 500gb. I'm thinking minimum 1TB for a new drive, 2TB would be ideal but I would rather prioritize speed over size. ty.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SocksAndSandals posted:

Looking to add a new drive primarily for games. No idea who the new players are and what the sweet spot is for quick storage so could use some help.

Motherboard: gigabyte x570 aorus elite (believe this has dual pcie 4.0 x4 m.2 connecters with pcie4/3 NVMe support according to the website)

My fastest drive right now is a 850evo 500gb. I'm thinking minimum 1TB for a new drive, 2TB would be ideal but I would rather prioritize speed over size. ty.

look at post above

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Newegg is selling Intel 670p drives for $80 for 2TB, is there anything wrong with those?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FuturePastNow posted:

Newegg is selling Intel 670p drives for $80 for 2TB, is there anything wrong with those?

QLC but you probably guessed that based on the price.

The P41 Plus is way faster in almost every aspect, other than QLC write speed when it runs out of cache (at which the P41 is truly awful). SK Hynix / Solidigm bought out intel's SSD biz; the P41 Plus is essentially the Gen4 upgrade to the 660p & 670p line.

So if performance is a consideration at all, I think the P41 is probably worth the extra $10. If you just want the cheapest data dump the 670p is fine.

edit: oh wait, the P41 Plus is now $100 instead of $90. Hmmmph. Dunno if it's worth $20 more. Depends on your application.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 8, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
my SN770 2TB arrived yesterday

trip report: too lazy to install

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Palladium posted:

my SN770 2TB arrived yesterday

trip report: too lazy to install

I finally installed my 2TB SN770 the other day. Took me a bit (like over a month) to be unlazy, lmao. Also, the WD branded Acronis software was very painless to use. Much easier than Macrium.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

teagone posted:

I finally installed my 2TB SN770 the other day. Took me a bit (like over a month) to be unlazy, lmao. Also, the WD branded Acronis software was very painless to use. Much easier than Macrium.

i already have a blazingly fast P31 1TB on this PC so im not missing much

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Palladium posted:

i already have a blazingly fast P31 1TB on this PC so im not missing much

I moved on from a 500GB WD Blue SSD SATA drive. Feels good to not have to worry about storage for probably forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

I installed a new SN770 yesterday.

Had to pop the gpu off, which was hard to do with the giant-rear end cooler I have installed. Makes it really hard to reach the clip on the back of the pcie slot. Had to use a screwdriver and awkwardly go around the side. Thankfully the m.2 slot was not as obstructed although screwing a tiny screw in at an angle is quite a pain.

I should probable get a decent set of small, magnetic screwdrivers.

Trip report: it's quick