Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I mean the obvious conclusion the Russians are going to make is to not return any more prisoners.

seems unlikely since they keep doing it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Of course, the subject of POWs brings me to yet another recent book on the total ineptitude of the Confederacy. @ Dreyland , is all of this scholarship coming out now because the Lost Cause is well and truly dead? I wonder if it's because the people who "just happened" to become huge CSA apologists during the Civil Rights Era, like Shelby Foote, are either out of the academy or dead.

The Yankee Plague: Escaped Union Prisoners and the Collapse of the Confederacy

During the winter of 1864, more than 3,000 Federal prisoners of war escaped from Confederate prison camps into South Carolina and North Carolina, often with the aid of local slaves. Their flight created, in the words of contemporary observers, a "Yankee plague," heralding a grim end to the Confederate cause. In this fascinating look at Union soldiers' flight for freedom in the last months of the Civil War, Lorien Foote reveals new connections between the collapse of the Confederate prison system, the large-scale escape of Union soldiers, and the full unraveling of the Confederate States of America. By this point in the war, the Confederacy was reeling from prison overpopulation, a crumbling military, violence from internal enemies, and slavery’s breakdown. The fugitive Federals moving across the countryside in mass numbers, Foote argues, accelerated the collapse as slaves and deserters decided the presence of these men presented an opportune moment for escalated resistance.

During the closing days of WW2 a similar thing happened in Germany as both Soviet and Western Allied POWs broke out en masse, formed armed bands and began taking the fight to the Germans. I can't find any good books on it, but it's nearly always mentioned on books about the closing days of the war or immediate aftermath. Some of the bands of Soviet POWs were at battalion strength and had pretty serious weaponry.

e: In both wars, deserters, CSA and German, also started ravaging the countryside and got up to some pretty heinous stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_zSFeHfglc

ee: Based on a real guy. The end of the Third Reich was a doozy.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Mar 14, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

quote:

This question about funding “took a lot of people aback,” said Nick Aiossa, head of policy and advocacy at Transparency International, who said he participated in an oral questionnaire with the third party conducting the survey. “The guiding questions suggested they were evaluating whether Transparency International was a threat to democracy.”

lol forever at Transparency International not being transparant about their funding. Very good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is a great film btw, the Nazi trial near the end is an incredible moment

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

That is a great film btw, the Nazi trial near the end is an incredible moment

Well, it touches on what I was saying earlier about Ukraine creating all of these guys with TBIs and PTSD, civil society being sacrificed for the war effort, the rise of Political groups as basically the central focus of public life. All of those chickens will come home to roost, and we've seen the Ukrainian state shrug off Azov crimes as spontaneous outbursts of patriotism or whatever.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
they might roost in places other than home too

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ТАСС posted:

Voronezh authorities warned about the delivery of summonses for data verification at the military registration and enlistment offices, the press service of the regional government reported.

According to the report, the employer is obliged to let the employee go to the military registration and enlistment office on the served summons, after which he must return to work duties.
(from t.me/tass_agency/184210, via tgsa)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cuttlefush posted:

they might roost in places other than home too

Yeah all this poo poo is just going to go inwards in both Ukraine and the EU isn't it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, it touches on what I was saying earlier about Ukraine creating all of these guys with TBIs and PTSD, civil society being sacrificed for the war effort, the rise of Political groups as basically the central focus of public life. All of those chickens will come home to roost, and we've seen the Ukrainian state shrug off Azov crimes as spontaneous outbursts of patriotism or whatever.

What would Hitler do as a legal code

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
looks like ukraine is gonna make a big move to fight wagner

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1635651788509528066?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

i wouldnt be surprised if the russians fail to respond, theyve always given ukraine tons of time and ability to fight back.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If it were me, the chance to hammer 50k Ukrainian troops out in the open while they're stuck in the mud would be a godsend.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
He is also claiming this

https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1635681793188741121

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CongoJack posted:

he has to make it out alive for that and he is surrounded by some true believers who will make that difficult.

yea, but if he starts acting in ways that can be construed as defeatist he most likely gets diem'd

so putting on a good show and generally being valuable to his masters is his best shot

Sound posted:

The ones who were captured then traded back to Ukraine so they could be national heroes and then go back to fighting? Probably not the worst outcome for people at war tbh

would you be willing to bet your rear end on the idea that russia will just let all pows go on home no matter what?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

i wouldnt be surprised if the russians fail to respond, theyve always given ukraine tons of time and ability to fight back.

also just so you know the doomerism works better when the russians aren't winning

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

looks like ukraine is gonna make a big move to fight wagner

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1635651788509528066?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

always bet on russian incompetence

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Russia is now officially doomed, the war is over

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
game over. return of stalin

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

game over. return of stalin

they arent getting the good ending dude

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mila kunis posted:

always bet on russian incompetence

What's the incompetence here?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/Liz_Friden/status/1635685770601148422

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cuttlefush posted:

game over. return of yeltsin

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
https://twitter.com/LMartinezABC/status/1635685820328714240?s=20

lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

environmentally unsound hahahah

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
lmao

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
respect to the russians for perfecting aerial teabagging

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

That drone had a family and you're laughing.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cuttlefush posted:

Eurasia and East Asia put aside their differences and finally take out Oceania once and for all

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i hope the drone operator is okay

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

fits my needs posted:

i hope the drone operator is okay

You die in the game, you die in real life

Frosted Flake posted:

If it were me, the chance to hammer 50k Ukrainian troops out in the open while they're stuck in the mud would be a godsend.

Yeah, but there is a tweet from some idiot to the contrary…

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah all this poo poo is just going to go inwards in both Ukraine and the EU isn't it?

not the US's problem, maybe those countries security states should be expanded by spending lots of money on these arms megacorporations

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

game over. return of yeltsin

sounds more likely

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Russian jet collides with US drone over Black Sea

A Russian fighter jet has collided with a US drone over the Black Sea, forcing the US to bring down its unmanned aircraft, the American military says.
It says the drone was on a routine mission in international airspace when two Russian jets tried to intercept it.
The "unsafe and unprofessional act by the Russians" nearly caused one of the fighter jets and the drone to crash, the US European command added.
US and allied forces will continue to operate in the area, it said.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Pissed all over it huh

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

blacksea.cx

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
yeah the libs want open war over that drone, cool

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

John Charity Spring posted:

sounds more likely

The most likely scenario is some grey suit center-right type replaces Putin and the country bumps along with Chinese trade, but that is just the default ending on easy mode.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Mar 14, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

international waters in the Black Sea ? oh sure

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah the libs want open war over that drone, cool

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1635693882997452820?s=20

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Cerebral Bore posted:

yea, but if he starts acting in ways that can be construed as defeatist he most likely gets diem'd

so putting on a good show and generally being valuable to his masters is his best shot

oh yea I completely agree, he will just have to hold on until the end and hope that someone in the west cares about him enough to try and get him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Why do they have predators over the black sea