Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

don't worry you can just buy the alt art version without the metal background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

LOTR ccgs just arent the same, without the 80/90s art:

Now that is a nice Gandalf.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
He's got a modal ability like his LCG version!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

Haha is this border part of this specific art or are all the apt art cards going to be in a Looney tunes hole?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Khanstant posted:

Haha is this border part of this specific art or are all the apt art cards going to be in a Looney tunes hole?

i hope so

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

If Gandalf the White isn't a Suspend card with no casting cost, what the gently caress will even be the point.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

I HIGHLY disagree with this gorgeous art, if you're going to show Gandalf in Moria, fine. Why not do an alt treatment of him fighting the Balrog on Durin's Tower or if you're having him fall have him do the heavy metal poo poo like mounting the Balrog and fighting it as they're falling. Like what the gently caress this feels like art for a counterspell or something. :argh:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

hosed up that the Gandalf isn't anime

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i also want to see art of gandalf mounting a balrog

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

flatluigi posted:

i also want to see art of gandalf mounting a balrog

Sounds like someone hasn't been checking out my DeviantArt.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hey! He mounts that fucker we've all seen it! As God intended, missionary style, and stabs that thing in the chest whilst falling into some unknown underground lake.

It was the most sexual the entire movie trilogy got this side of Frodo and Sam staring longingly at one another.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Loucks posted:

For sure. It's really cool for superfans to get to play with cards that tie-in with their favorite IP, but it's also cool if those of us who hate that poo poo don't have to play against Gandalf in every Modern deck until the end of time.

if the spoiled gollum is a 1 drop im gonna try it in scam as the 5th ragavan

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Robviously posted:

If Gandalf the White isn't a Suspend card with no casting cost, what the gently caress will even be the point.

Planeswalker with suspend that requires you to sacrifice a Gandalf the Gray to suspend it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wonder if they'll give the Balrog card Flying

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

This got glossed over but King poo poo right here.

e: he posted a video explaining the decision as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBJP41kxkMQ

ee: genuinely awesome to see 100% support in the comments

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 14, 2023

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Loucks posted:

What’s the appeal there? Those lands look like an intern cropped a map from a book club printing of LOTR as the set was going to press.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

holy gently caress the lands are great

Looking cool is the point

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We have put up a feedback thread for TG: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026756 That is a good place to chat about what is or isn't working re: our trad games forum in general, or threads you read in particular, and also if you have some criticism about moderation we want to hear it!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Strong Sauce posted:

This is an extremely cool frame.

I have very little interest in the set from a purchasing or playing perspective, but I'm glad they seem to be doing things well so far.

I'm also on Team Hobbits Should Be Kithkin If Not Mechanically Then Stylistically.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

I thought the triangle and frame were Warhammer things. Good they're consistent but they really clash with the LotR theme.

Originally from The Walking Dead secret lair

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

As a Critical Role fan, I'm also a big fan of Deven Rue's maps, so I'm stoked to see them as the full art lands for LotR. There's also some personal nostalgia there as my dad was a big LotR dork and read them to me as a kid, so I'm 100% the target for this kind of set.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

more LOTR spoilers coming in like 45 mins too, can't wait to see their interpretation!

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm stoked. I loved LotR as a kid because my dad loved it and I was fantasy-obsessed, then the movies came out when I was in high school - absolute perfect timing. I need to develop a buy strategy for when it drops. I want a full collection of singles, I want the commander precons, and I will probably want to make some extra commander decks at similar power levels to the precons. It would be so cool to have a battle box of like 20 decks with the fellowship and other major characters/antagonists represented as commanders. I can finally live my dream of Shelob going 1v1 against Bill the pony

E: but all this poo poo is going to cost more than I can spend on my dumb hobby so I need a plan!

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 14, 2023

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

This looks like a cute, not broken set.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Gollum is a 1B mana not 1 mana, 3/1

edit: realized this is probably not the 1 mana version

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
They're not discussing what "The Ring tempts you" actually means. Annoying!

Although from context it just seems like Poison Counters / Corrupted with variable numbers for different effects unlike Corrupted which is just at 3+.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I have to get back to work so won't be posting immediately. especially since they're uncommons so far..

edit: okay last one

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Holy moly White Remand

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

White Remand :stare:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't know why that is something they would want to print. Nothing reasonable is going to come from that card.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Bombadil is the 5 color Saga Commander that everyone wants

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I might get back on Arena. These cards will be on Arena, right?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Reprieve works on uncounterable spells when Remand doesn't

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I might get back on Arena. These cards will be on Arena, right?

Yep it's coming to Arena

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Once per turn is reasonable so you dont string Read Ahead
Can do fun proliferate shenanigans on opponent turns

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Sol Rings:

They didn't have the balls to only print 3, 7 and 9 respectively of the serialized.

edit: Oh poo poo they actually loving did it

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

they did print a 1/1 one ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

They do have the balls to produce 1 of the One Ring though.