Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Lately in my car I've just been telling Spotify to play Dick's Picks or Garcia Live Vol [insert whatever random number comes to mind]. It's a fun bit of Dead roulette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

holy poo poo that is a SETLIST, might have to take this one for a spin today

When they were on in the 90s they were still on

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry I don't listen to anything post 91. :colbert:

(30 seconds into Help): Okay yea this rules.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

algebra testes posted:

Yeah same, playing this one today its pretty good

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

algebra testes posted:

At some level, though, you realize that somebody in the band listened to the noises coming out of Vince’s keyboard and said, “yeah this is good”

Long way to go home slays though. He should have just sang.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I really love the March 81 run of shows. There are some nice AUD recordings of the US shows. I’ve really been getting into these Stranger and Sailor/Saint performances.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
They knew. Why do you think Bruce was always with them then? Phil said in his book that he was mainly chosen for his harmonies since they felt that was what was missing most from Brent's absence

E: which says a lot about what direction the band wanted to be facing in during those years. They wanted Hornsby to be their full time guy but it couldn't work with his schedule. So they were firmly a twinkly spaced out band singing about their failures by intention at that point

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 14, 2023

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

They wanted Hornsby to be their full time guy but it couldn't work with his schedule. So they were firmly a twinkly spaced out band singing about their failures by intention at that point

I think it's more that Hornsby saw what bad shape Jer was in post Brent and didn't want to moor his boat to that port permanently

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I love archive dot org show comments so much

quote:

OMG what a amazing audience recording!! Wow this is just as good as it gets. Fantastic show too, i was there. Jerry grilled fish on a Weber grill during setbreaks on the the side of the stage. Thank you big time to taper for the UL.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

trem_two posted:

I love archive dot org show comments so much

LMAO thats great post more good ones if u find em! i always love the little anectdotes from onstage/backstage during shows

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Jerry was just doing some grillin to get ready for the lot. Had to pay his way to Albany

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

LMAO thats great post more good ones if u find em! i always love the little anectdotes from onstage/backstage during shows

One of my all time faves

quote:

Having missed some earlier Canadian offerings, (Vancouver 73, Festival Express 72, I was in dire need of my 1st Deadshow, so, upon hearing of the concert while I sat in a jail cell doin' 30 days for stealing a pack of sausages...on a dare...to feed the hungry wet, and cold, night time pickin', psilocybin mushroom pickers, all 25 of em', I got thrown in the hooskow with a gram of hash stuck firmly into my cheek. I heard of the show in Seattle and I took this little red head, get this, that I met at the Greyhound bus stop, the day of my release (hard time i tell ya), and she jumped my bones in broad daylight behind the bus depot!! (well, we were in the trees), so, she and I hooked up for a few weeks and headed down to Seattle. I was in heaven, sparked up and what can ya say, seemed like 4 hours of solid fusion for what, 4.50? Wow,
See ya down the pike,
Rob

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Grateful Thread - with a gram of hash stuck firmly into my cheek.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

God bless Rob

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
When phish played deer creek in 96, all the cats that got busted ended up in county and found a bunch of heads still locked up there from the 95 incident. Story goes they were like "wait, phish is the band now? When did this happen?"

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Noise Machine posted:

God bless Rob

A true traveler.

In other news I listened to 3/17/68 just now (Download Series Vol 6) and that Caution > Feedback is sick.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

:( Just found out the festival I was gonna go to in May and finally get to see Phil was cancelled

:woop: Just found out a festival right here in Tampa booked JRAD next month

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:woop:

Anybody know where I can find that Phil and Friends show with Warren Haynes from last week?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

:woop:

Anybody know where I can find that Phil and Friends show with Warren Haynes from last week?

There are copies on archive.org, the forums are too lovely for me to embed a link because of the characters in the url

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Where's my 30-minute Althea. :mad: That should've been a set 2 staple.

No disrespect to set 1... but c'mon.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Sway Grunt posted:

Where's my 30-minute Althea. :mad: That should've been a set 2 staple.

No disrespect to set 1... but c'mon.

Idk, I always liked the medium length set 1 jammers for what they are. Gimme 6 to 10 minutes with a Jerry solo or two and I’m happy. Althea, Loser, Cassidy, Candyman, post-hiatus FOTD, there needed to be some first set songs like that to break up the cowboy songs.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Bird Song's another good set 1 jam.

I do wish they hadn't codified the show structure as much after the hiatus, i.e. certain songs always destined for certain slots. Maybe Scarlet doesn't always need a Fire (I know this one did happen a handful of times), or maybe Althea could come out of Playin' in the middle of set 2 some time, or just straight up start set 1 with Dark Star, etc. It's slightly ridiculous to whinge about it considering the band in question though. But I think '73-'74 were more flexible in that respect. Also read that '85 had some weirdo sets so maybe I'll dip my toes into that year some time.

I recently came across a China Cat Sunflower that transitioned into something else than IKYR (edit: other way around actually, Rider coming out of something that wasn't CCS) but can't actually remember the date. Somewhere in the 80s I think.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 21, 2023

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I think I'm slowly becoming a dead head: when you dig into the lyrics, they're tackling these terrible and depressing issues with such a positive, well-adjusted attitude. The name of the band is so apt. It's like a musical anti-depressant.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Love Stole the Day posted:

I think I'm slowly becoming a dead head: when you dig into the lyrics, they're tackling these terrible and depressing issues with such a positive, well-adjusted attitude. The name of the band is so apt. It's like a musical anti-depressant.

Loser isn’t positive or well adjusted.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

BigFactory posted:

Loser isn’t positive or well adjusted.

Looks like I fell victim to sample bias

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Eyes of the World lifts me up every time I hear it.

So many of Robert Hunter's songs are about America, for better or worse. He captures the idea of American freedom well I think, but also some of the bad parts. He always seemed to have some hopeful things to write despite the sorrows. Franklin's Tower is the only song he ever interpreted for anyone, as far as I know, and turns out it's kinda patriotic, a little I guess.

And like half murder ballads.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just love how they have a song called loser with the refrain "last fair deal in the country" which is different from the song called "deal" which starts with "it's costs a lot to win and even more to lose."

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

algebra testes posted:

I just love how they have a song called loser with the refrain "last fair deal in the country" which is different from the song called "deal" which starts with "it's costs a lot to win and even more to lose."

They’re both about playing cards

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Speaking of lyrics and Robert Hunter, I don't think I posted here that my wife got me this for Christmas. It's cool to flip through reading along listening to the songs but I haven't spent a ton of time on it yet. It has the additional Terrapin verses which is cool.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That is a very good gift.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

That is a very good gift.

It is! Funny story, back in the days before the ubiquity of streaming music, I had a ton of downloaded live music on our computer including a ton of Dead shows. My wife was doing something in our iTunes library on the computer and thought she was doing me a favor by cleaning up all the "duplicate copies" of songs, ie 8 versions of Sugar Magnolia from different shows or whatever. She meant well and we had a laugh about it, nothing lost that I couldn't get from Archive or etree if I wanted. When I showed my buddy the book he said it might finally make up for deleting my Dead library.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Their lyrics are on my AA chip

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Do you think August West gets clean? (good job)

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The important part is that he wants to get clean

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I would have gone with the Casey Jones quote

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

BigFactory posted:

I would have gone with the Casey Jones quote

I drew this a couple years ago while pondering if I'd ever get a band/lyric tattoo:

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Hell yeah buddy, good job!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I drew this a couple years ago while pondering if I'd ever get a band/lyric tattoo:

I was thinking just a “drivin that train high on cocaine” chip would be good

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Don't you touch hard liquor, just a cup of cold coffee" too obvious I guess?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Well I think that's because he has to stay sober to gamble away his money

E: but the sober deadhead group is called the Wharf Rats. You might have seen them at shows. Yellow balloons. "Friends of August W" bumper stickers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Well I think that's because he has to stay sober to gamble away his money

E: but the sober deadhead group is called the Wharf Rats. You might have seen them at shows. Yellow balloons. "Friends of August W" bumper stickers

Phish has a similar group called the Phellowship, and Twiddle has one called White Light Foundation (which is also a charity). iirc they all use yellow balloons at shows. Wicked cool groups!