Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Shortly after Aliens launched, Dark Horse secured the license to the Alien comics line. They made an amazing comic about Xenomorphs taking over the Earrh. When Alien 3 finally launch and killed Hicks and Newt, Darkhorse reprinted the original story with changed names. Hicks was now Wilks, for example, and the Ripley that shows up is a synth clone now instead of being the real one in the original version.

I want a collection that is unedited. No alterations to make it about new characters.

Is there any place where I can purchase said collection for a reasonable price? I am completely okay with tradebacks and omnibus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Covok posted:

Shortly after Aliens launched, Dark Horse secured the license to the Alien comics line. They made an amazing comic about Xenomorphs taking over the Earrh. When Alien 3 finally launch and killed Hicks and Newt, Darkhorse reprinted the original story with changed names. Hicks was now Wilks, for example, and the Ripley that shows up is a synth clone now instead of being the real one in the original version.

I want a collection that is unedited. No alterations to make it about new characters.

Is there any place where I can purchase said collection for a reasonable price? I am completely okay with tradebacks and omnibus.

I can’t guarantee it’s not the “reprint changed names” version but this is the most current omnibus that has it (and a hell of a lot more).

Aliens Omnibus Vol. 1 (Aliens: the Original Years Omnibus, 1) https://a.co/d/gTeTX3U

I’ll ask around and see what version it reprints.

Funnily enough, Wilks got name-checked in the Alien RPG recently, as did Spears (the villain from Nightmare Asylum).

I got an Aliens lootcrate like 7 years ago and one of the things in it was a really nice hardcover reprint of the first Aliens comic series in black and white as it was originally published.

The thing about the original black and white is it’s meant to be a plot twist partway through the story when the Marines get murdered by Aliens and it’s revealed that they were all synths (and Newt slept with one earlier without knowing this). When they get murdered there’s blood everywhere, but since it was printed in black and white you don’t know that it’s *white* blood until the dismembered synth Marines start moving around again. The color reprints ruin this.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

sigher posted:

I'm sure the budget for that film was juice injections in the rear end for everyone I'm not surprised. Since it was the 80s, there was probably a fair bit of cocaine too.

Schwarzenegger had an entire gym's worth of equipment shipped to Mexico for the production.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

since it was printed in black and white you don’t know that it’s *white* blood until the dismembered synth Marines start moving around again.
I love this stuff when it's done well :allears: Done poorly it's annoying, like when a film treats everything out of frame as invisible to viewers and characters alike.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xenomrph posted:

I can’t guarantee it’s not the “reprint changed names” version but this is the most current omnibus that has it (and a hell of a lot more).

Aliens Omnibus Vol. 1 (Aliens: the Original Years Omnibus, 1) https://a.co/d/gTeTX3U

I’ll ask around and see what version it reprints.
I asked around, the reprint I linked has the original names.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

Funnily enough, Wilks got name-checked in the Alien RPG recently, as did Spears (the villain from Nightmare Asylum).

I assume this is the place to get the Alien RPG? https://www.alien-rpg.com/

Does anyone know if this is an irl-only game or if it can be played online with people kinda like D&D?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

You can absolutely play online on discord/roll20.

Here is an invite to a discord server devoted to exactly that:

https://discord.gg/alienrpg

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Awesome! Thanks :) I'll order the various stuff first and have a read through it once it arrives. The 'Starter Set' & 'Core Book' seem like the best places to begin, but the starter set seems to include a condensed version of the core book, so maybe I just need the core book? Then again the extra stuff in the starter set seems really useful.

Colonial Marines, Heart of Darkness & Destroyer of Worlds seem to just be expansions and not necessary for getting started?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

SUNKOS posted:

I assume this is the place to get the Alien RPG? https://www.alien-rpg.com/

Does anyone know if this is an irl-only game or if it can be played online with people kinda like D&D?

It is a tabletop roleplaying, which is the same category as D&D. Sorry if that sounded fart sniffing, but it's a pet peeve of mine. I didn't mean to sound patronizing, if I did.

It's also a really exception TRPG at that. My favorite mechanic is Stress, which works well to build tension and make the situation actively worse for the PCs. The biggest gripe I hear is it two modes of play.

It is primarily made as a One-Shot game. In other words, a game that consists of a single Adventure, usually finished in a single session. This is called Cinematic Play and was clearly intended as the primary mode of play. Cinematic Mode mirrors the effect of a film as it is designed to be one and done, with sequels only a question. No one complains about Cinematic Mode, it's actually really fun. The complaint tends to be more with Campaign Mode. It clearly exists because people would request it out of tradition. Borrowed from war games, a campaign is a series of interconnected adventures that usually has no predefined end point. A short campaign tends to one that ends within 2 months. A long campaign is considered 2 months to a year. And anything above that is simply called a Campaign. Campaign play suffers from the setting hindering the idea of a campaign. The reality is that the game only works for longer campaigns if you basically play it as a cyberpunk setting for most of it and have the Xenomorph only show up on occasions. Not Free League's fault, honestly. The setting is more of the bugbear there. They tried their best to make it work, mind you. All the books are filled with tons of lore to try to better suit such a style of play. Hell, they even added details to try to suit it and that lead to some really fun lore: like how William Gibson's Bodybursters exist in a research lab or how some nebulus force (the book is intentionally vague if its David or the Engineers) is biobombing the frontier colonies with mutagen.

Personally, I actually would want to try campaign play. I even have a pitch:

quote:

We were arrogant. All of us. We thought we had conquered nature. We truly believed our technology made us superior to it. We had tamed the Earth, explored the stars! We were gods!
How arrogant we truly were...

They're coming. It won't be long now. I never thought too long or hard about death before. But, as I look at this gun at the table, I feel embarrassed. Will I even use it right? I never did before.

Would it better to be one of those who welcomed them. The ones susceptible to the Queen's touch. Those who willingly walk into the hives and praise the Xenos for impregnating them.

I hear them. They're at the door. I wonder... will I dream?

--Last Words of Private Adell Orona, 14:34:00 GMT, from the fall of the London Base of Operations

I think there is a great setting that a lot of Alien fans overlook: the Earth War. Before Alien 3 was written, there were a lot of open ideas of where to the go with the franchise. In novel and comic form, Dark Horse explored the idea of the Xenomorph finding its way to Earth and taking over the planet Earth. This era of storytelling was called The Earth War.

Imagine using Free League's Alien RPG during this era in campaign play. You can be a crew who escaped the Earth, only to find the monsters followed them. They go to an asteroid base and get jobs working for the recently empancipated colony, now free from the control of the corps who once ran it. They work hard and get into trouble with crime and government, risking life and limb. And, as they get closer, they find out something is stalking the base. A xeno has made it aboard and the base gets overrrun. They escape to their ship only to find out one followed them home and they have to survive. After the survivors kill their stowaway, they try to stay safe taking mercenary jobs and never staying at one place for too long. But its hard living, deals get mad, they get screwed over a few times, and people try to kill them over petty business deals.

And that's all before the one job that accidentally takes them to a base that was overrun days ago and no one knows.

It would be super awesome and there are tons of little details you can gleam from comics. It makes sure there is a reason everyone knows the Xeno and that avoids the constant relearning that can sometimes be annoying with established properties. But it also makes it clear that things are desperate and gives a reason for why Xenos are everywhere.

What do you all think?

Anyway, I'm kind of got a hyperfixation on it at the moment and am totally down to chat about it.

SUNKOS posted:

Awesome! Thanks :) I'll order the various stuff first and have a read through it once it arrives. The 'Starter Set' & 'Core Book' seem like the best places to begin, but the starter set seems to include a condensed version of the core book, so maybe I just need the core book? Then again the extra stuff in the starter set seems really useful.

Colonial Marines, Heart of Darkness & Destroyer of Worlds seem to just be expansions and not necessary for getting started?

Here is my advice: the Starter Set is always kind of a rip-off. It kind of exists to help get newbies in play, but, unless you plan to run the game and not be a player, it won't really help you. I only get it when I want a complete collection. It's easier to just ask people on reddit and something awful for rules questions.

Colonial Marines, Heart of Darkness & Destroyer of Worlds are what we call "supplements." They exist to enhance the experience but aren't required. The later two are actually "pre-made adventures," which means they are developer released modules ready to play for your game. "Colonial Marines" is a "sourcebook." That means it details additional rules and setting lore on a specific subject. In this case, the colonial marines.

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 11, 2023

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for all the information, and apologies for the error regarding tabletop roleplaying. Everything you shared is super helpful :) I was just comparing something like Space Hulk which is Aliens-ish and 2/3 players (and assembling mission levels and having miniatures and such) and an online friend telling me about a D&D group they play with online a year ago and it sounded wild but also really fun, so I wondered if Alien RPG could be played the same way which it sounds like it can which is exciting :D Apologies again for the categorization error, though.

Also regarding the mention of Earth War, my memory is really fuzzy here but I think the books played out quite similar to how you described, with Earth falling and people escaping to a colony which also eventually gets overrun, which I think was the Moon in the books? I don't remember anything beyond then but the prospect of some kind of Betty-like crew (Alien Resurrection) running mercenary jobs sounds really fun, I love that kind of thing and it's the kind of story setup I've been hoping they'd use for a new Alien movie (along with the standard desire for an adaptation of Labyrinth).

It sounds like Alien RPG is really in-depth with a lot of world building given the mentions of it covering everything from the Music of the Spears guy to William Gibson's unused script as well, which is very appealing. Makes me wonder if it has stuff like this too. I love that book :D

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SUNKOS posted:

Makes me wonder if it has stuff like this too. I love that book :D
It does.

The RPG makes some seriously deep cuts into the franchise history, it's great.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Anyone ever play the Aliens board game from 1989? I hadn’t heard of it til seeing a Reddit post last week

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FastestGunAlive posted:

Anyone ever play the Aliens board game from 1989? I hadn’t heard of it til seeing a Reddit post last week

The one by Leading Edge? There was a Flash version on Newgrounds for a long time.

Leading Edge also made an Aliens tabletop RPG around the same time, and unlike the new RPG the old one was decidedly campaign-focused, with a lot of down-time and character building for your characters, non-xenomorph stuff, etc. Aliens were present of course, but the RPG went out of its way to flesh out the world and introduce non-Alien stuff.

Naturally, the new RPG references it liberally.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SUNKOS posted:

Thanks for all the information, and apologies for the error regarding tabletop roleplaying. Everything you shared is super helpful :) I was just comparing something like Space Hulk which is Aliens-ish and 2/3 players (and assembling mission levels and having miniatures and such) and an online friend telling me about a D&D group they play with online a year ago and it sounded wild but also really fun, so I wondered if Alien RPG could be played the same way which it sounds like it can which is exciting :D Apologies again for the categorization error, though.

Also regarding the mention of Earth War, my memory is really fuzzy here but I think the books played out quite similar to how you described, with Earth falling and people escaping to a colony which also eventually gets overrun, which I think was the Moon in the books? I don't remember anything beyond then but the prospect of some kind of Betty-like crew (Alien Resurrection) running mercenary jobs sounds really fun, I love that kind of thing and it's the kind of story setup I've been hoping they'd use for a new Alien movie (along with the standard desire for an adaptation of Labyrinth).

It sounds like Alien RPG is really in-depth with a lot of world building given the mentions of it covering everything from the Music of the Spears guy to William Gibson's unused script as well, which is very appealing. Makes me wonder if it has stuff like this too. I love that book :D

Oh yeah the Alien RPG is INCREDIBLY in depth and extremely well thought out with how it manages to fit like every Alien media thing ever into one place that all works.* It's interesting because they take advantage of the black goo from Prometheus and the spores David reverse engineers in Covenant for this. So it manages to have a bit of bestiary based on what type/when a being was exposed to stuff in what combination. My favorite is that they made a creature for the one in a million situation where a person gets implanted with a xenomorph egg but then also gets exposed to the black goo so that they could have something result in the very early concept where the alien had totally transparent skin with a bunch of "technobabble" about an exoskeleton forming around the person while their inner skeleton stays intact causing this xenomorph-ish creature to form that still has the visible human skull and like formerly human but now vestigial eyes/some human organs visibly floating around in there.

The two smartest things about it are how it really keyed in on it being a setting where thanks to corporate greed all of humanity is in decline. So you have all these colonies in the middle of nowhere that may as well be the wild west, massive space stations that are incredible feats of human ingenuity that were decommissioned decades ago and have maybe like 40 people living on them, all kinds of natural phenomena there's a lot to have the players investigate and be interested in besides just the xenomorph itself. It ties into why they have radios/cassettes/etc. "regular" technology still in use too their explanation is just that you actively want bulky old poo poo that can reliably work and is durable since hey you're a billion miles from anywhere? Good luck affording or even finding this year's model. Stuff like wi-fi and blu-tooth as we know it now isn't effective in space with the crazy variety of stuff radiating off the stars and various worlds you visit.

They really did techno babble their way into making every aspect of the setting make sense and work, which isn't something I give a poo poo about in a movie, but of a tabletop game trying to go in depth they absolutely nailed it.

As far as the campaign mode goes, I've done two things with this my friends have had fun with when we wanted to go beyond a one shot:

1 was having them play different characters each time but in the same overall story. The adventures officially released for it do this already, but I have the times of them intersect much more closely so the players can run into a character (or the body or resulting monster of it or some record of their knowledge) they were playing for a few sessions ago and stuff like that.

The other is to just rip off The Expanse and have the players stumble into actually possessing their own ship a session or two in instead of just leasing or being assigned to one. I set something up so at least one of the players' characters has a vested interest in learning more about/stopping//profiting from/whatever from whatever proto-matter Alien-stuff they run into.

This works because you can open up with a bang with some encounter but even after you can have the fallout of aliens being a thing - and the ensuing wanting to know more about them or not - and have all of the archaeology, research, whatever corporate shenanigans, investigating hosed up places where bad poo poo went down, investigating breathtakingly beautiful natural phenomena, etc. keep the xenomorph or engineers as a major presence that hangs over every session even if the players aren't running into them in person every week.

All the rules for playing as an android are great too.

The cool thing is if you want to do a more action oriented campaign, the setting has a whole bunch of way outer planets that are being black goo bio-bombed with all kinds of nasty poo poo on them, the setting is a powder keg with a few different factions that could go off at any time. And they released an entire book that's JUST Colonial Marines lore/weapons/gear so you can definitely have your party just rock the gently caress out blasting everything in their path and getting paid if you want a situation like that to happen for a few sessions. Like with that stuff you could definitely do something along the lines of a Space Hulk "THE BRASS HAS FOUND A BAJILLION DERELICTS FLOATING THROUGH SPACE THEY PROBABLY HAVE XENOMORPHS BUT ALSO IMPORTANT STUFF WE WANT TO RESEARCH THAT WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT RESULT IN ANYTHING BAD, SUIT UP MARINES" kind of thing if you wanted.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Covok posted:

If the Xenomorphs XX1121 existed, there would be people who think they're cute arguing how they're misunderstood. They would probably post pictures of Xenomorphs on their tumblr saying things like "beautiful bug kitty" or "aww, look, he's so spooky~" They'd say they feel a kinship to the creature and wish they could have one as a pet. They'd refuse to listen to anyone about how existentially dangerous they are. Some of the rich ones would keep them as pets. You'd read a story eventually how someone thought they tamed there’s and it ate him and some of his servants before the colonial marines were able to put it down.

It's me with the personality to try it. I've met sharks, lions, etc. and the only thing that gave me pause was when I tried to pet an alligator and it literally roared at me.

That's why when people complained about the scientist trying to pet the hammerpede in Prometheus, I was like "huh? Of course he would."

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Covok posted:

If the Xenomorphs XX1121 existed, there would be people who think they're cute arguing how they're misunderstood. They would probably post pictures of Xenomorphs on their tumblr saying things like "beautiful bug kitty" or "aww, look, he's so spooky~" They'd say they feel a kinship to the creature and wish they could have one as a pet. They'd refuse to listen to anyone about how existentially dangerous they are. Some of the rich ones would keep them as pets. You'd read a story eventually how someone thought they tamed there’s and it ate him and some of his servants before the colonial marines were able to put it down.

Now I want a remake of Grizzly Man in the Alien universe. Also directed and narrated by Werner Herzog.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love to play the rpg run by a cool person with a deep and obsessive knowledge of alien. I'm always a GM, never a player.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Re-watched Prometheus and Covenant this weekend. Prometheus still gets better every time I watch it, although it asks a lot with the breakneck pace of its final act (not a lot of breathing room is given to all of the pilots just deciding on the spot to do a suicide run), and honestly Sean Harris' dialogue does not give him a lot to work with: "What do you mean, there's a [thing]?" fifty times. Charlize Theron's ultrahammy acting and Guy Pearce's bizarre makeup also remain very distracting.

I was less annoyed by Covenant the second time around, but aside from some solid visual ideas and being more of a slasher, it's just not that good and mostly marred by its second half. We do the ending twice, and it gets tedious. Billy Crudup feels like he has more screen-time than Katherine Waterston, but he's portrayed as an unlikeable moron, so it's an irritation following him around and very low-stakes when she has to lead the finale. Time scales feel fluid with the editing near the end, adding to the disjointedness.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love to play the rpg run by a cool person with a deep and obsessive knowledge of alien. I'm always a GM, never a player.

Well, I’m one of those things.

I don’t think I’m cut out to be a GM though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Xenomrph posted:

Well, I’m one of those things.

I don’t think I’m cut out to be a GM though.

You never know until you try! And it's not like an Alien comic, where trying this leads to the horrible, horrible deaths of everyone involved (well, it still might, but hopefully only in game) and it could be a lot of fun.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think my opinion is pretty standard, but I don't like Prometheus or Covenant. They make everything small.

The whole point of Alien, in my view, is that there are things waiting, in the outer dark.

It's a big universe out there.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

I think my opinion is pretty standard, but I don't like Prometheus or Covenant. They make everything small.

The whole point of Alien, in my view, is that there are things waiting, in the outer dark.

This comes up in this thread often, but Prometheus makes things *bigger* because the goo is larger and more random and indeterminate than the Xenomorphs or Space Jockeys/Engineers.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Darko posted:

This comes up in this thread often, but Prometheus makes things *bigger* because the goo is larger and more random and indeterminate than the Xenomorphs or Space Jockeys/Engineers.

I don't see it that way, because it's still a knowable thing associated with the engineers. It might as well just be The Blob.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

I don't see it that way, because it's still a knowable thing associated with the engineers. It might as well just be The Blob.

How does it work? What all has it created? Where does it come from? How do you counter it? Etc.?

Just like Xenos, Engineers were killed by it, too. Any knowledge you have about the goo can be applied moreso to Xenomorphs, with more unknowable things attached to the goo.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

No the original Alien derelict etc was creepy and mysterious in a way that covenant especially just isn’t. But it’s an open question as to whether or not a modern Alien film could ever be as evocative as the first.

Not saying the new ones are bad, but they present a different world with quite different rules.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Xenomrph should GM a game that includes his NPC.

I’ll play as long as I get to be one of the ninjas from Music of the Spears.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Beachcomber posted:

As big as the universe is, pre-Prometheus every single xenomorph or xenomorph-related thing to ever appear onscreen actually came directly from, or was at most one generation removed from, that single pile of eggs on that single spaceship on that single planet from the original movie. It's basically the Skywalker family of the Alien series.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The fact that AVP wasn't some hyper stylized live action anime version of the drat arcade game and instead some Store Brand Mountains of Madness Pyramid of Phenomena bs will forever grind my gears.

Darko posted:

How does it work? What all has it created? Where does it come from? How do you counter it? Etc.?
The goo is mysterious but in a more "knowable" way than the xenos/jockey ship. It's some kind of TMNT mutagen. It's GodCum.

Meanwhile everything about the xeno is violent and wildly unlike what we know to be "natural".

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Open Marriage Night posted:

Xenomrph should GM a game that includes his NPC.

There actually is a campaign centered around the attempted assassination of my character. :v:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Not only in the RPG, but also one on the SA forums.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

The goo is mysterious but in a more "knowable" way than the xenos/jockey ship. It's some kind of TMNT mutagen. It's GodCum.

Meanwhile everything about the xeno is violent and wildly unlike what we know to be "natural".

I thought the primordial chaos goo revered by our ancient ancestors as a source of life, death and change was a good deal more compelling than 'alien wasps'. Really if you want to get mad at a film for ruining the mystery is should be Aliens

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

Not only in the RPG, but also one on the SA forums.

Well poo poo

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Darko posted:

Just like Xenos, Engineers were killed by it, too. Any knowledge you have about the goo can be applied moreso to Xenomorphs, with more unknowable things attached to the goo.
To quote Parker, the mysteries of the goo are a big "so what?" It can do whatever the plot requires to act as a catalyst for the next part of the script. Sure, you can argue that it represents eitr, primordial chaos or whatever, but in itself it's nothing but a Macguffin to make things happen. "Someone's been infected by the goo!" "Okay, what crazy mutation is gonna attack us this time?" That's not Alien, that's The Thing.

The goo isn't even the Blob, as someone suggested. It's a spin-the-bottle game with lots of different monsters sitting around it. Maybe this time you'll get lucky and it'll be a Xenomorph, who knows?

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 14, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FilthyImp posted:

The fact that AVP wasn't some hyper stylized live action anime version of the drat arcade game and instead some Store Brand Mountains of Madness Pyramid of Phenomena bs will forever grind my gears.

The extended version of it available on home video isn't as bad as the theateical release, I'd even say it's almost pretty good. But I do hate how aggressively just fine the overall movie is. The cast is excellent though and really holds it together along with some of the sets.

But for real, like imagine an AvP movie but in the style of like Predator 2 or Hakaider or something, it really needed to go extra and big, like it's literally ALIEN vs PREDATOR

And the Requiem came out and I remember not hating it when it first dropped but seeing it more recently-ish, WOOF

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The mystery of the black goo isn't so much about what it will do, the mystery is where it came from, how was it created, and for what purpose? Prometheus and Covenant throw some really tantalizing ideas at you about what the black goo's deal might be, but never enough to prove any one particular theory. The xeno in Alien is similar. We know what it does, it kills. It's the other questions that are interesting.

For example, did the Engineers create the goo? They seem to worship it, or at least have an almost religious reverence for it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Payndz posted:

To quote Parker, the mysteries of the goo are a big "so what?" It can do whatever the plot requires to act as a catalyst for the next part of the script. Sure, you can argue that it represents eitr, primordial chaos or whatever, but in itself it's nothing but a Macguffin to make things happen. "Someone's been infected by the goo!" "Okay, what crazy mutation is gonna attack us this time?" That's not Alien, that's The Thing.

The goo isn't even the Blob, as someone suggested. It's a spin-the-bottle game with lots of different monsters sitting around it. Maybe this time you'll get lucky and it'll be a Xenomorph, who knows?

The trouble is that you're approaching "The Xenomorph" and "The Goo" as, like pure concepts that 'should' just automatically instill sheer fascination and terror. If that were how it worked, AVP 1 would be the scariest movie ever made.

In actuality, the goo 'isn't scary' because our viewpoint character in Prometheus is David, who thinks the goo is neat and relishes the opportunity to unleash it.

In Covenant, the viewpoint character is Walter, who is programmed not to experience fear.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 14, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Gonna call bullshit on the spooky space ants being more mysterious than the "GodCum."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Schwarzwald posted:

Gonna call bullshit on the spooky space ants being more mysterious than the "GodCum."

Alien Megathread: Gonna call bullshit on the spooky space ants being more mysterious than the "GodCum."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
You can tell what's actually discomfiting, because it's what gets comforting conspiracy theories written about it.

On the one side, you've got a Jimspiracy that assures us that somebody was in control the whole time. This belief is supplemented by the hyperbolic fantasies about how the aliens are perpetual-motion machines that feed on aether, a single one is gonna consume the whole Earth in minutes, etc.

From this we can conclude that what actually unnerves people is that nobody's in control of the system, and that even the 'perfect' aliens are small and weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ferrinus posted:

As big as the universe is, pre-Prometheus every single xenomorph or xenomorph-related thing to ever appear onscreen actually came directly from, or was at most one generation removed from, that single pile of eggs on that single spaceship on that single planet from the original movie. It's basically the Skywalker family of the Alien series.

Right, which is fine and cool, because it leave the mystery of where it came from in the first place intact.

The unknowable is still out there.

The engineers totally made the black goo, but before that who knows why the eggs were there?

We know what they use the goo for.