Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also there is no reason not to sell the Purse of Hope, but I would never sell the Purse of Hope.

Same. I'm starting the postgame and it's still sitting there, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Too bad about the OST being taken down frequently on YouTube, but at least Song of Hope is still up for now. Such a beautiful piece.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also there is no reason not to sell the Purse of Hope, but I would never sell the Purse of Hope.

Same with Partitio's first nugget.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FireWorksWell posted:

Too bad about the OST being taken down frequently on YouTube, but at least Song of Hope is still up for now. Such a beautiful piece.

The whole soundtrack is just incredible

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Agreed, I especially like the work behind the character themes and their boss battle variants, they capture each one perfectly. Town themes mixed with NPC backstory text help cement each town as distinct in my mind, like the Beasting Village and their carefree, happy island life or the mix of glamour and seediness of New Destia.

Amazing music made the final and superboss much easier to try and take down on numerous attempts, too.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
It's also so slick the way the music transitions between day and night themes.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Novasol posted:

My favorite turn 1 scam is Partitio with thief. Step Ahead and the latent power passive. Pop latent, use thief divine skill, random encounter gone. Swapping the setup to Castti for boss fights for mass BP is then good for boss fights.

Yeah, this is great, though it costs SP. I use a strong monster from Ochette, which unfortunately caps at 9999, but that's enough for monsters up to around danger level 50 and uses no SP. Granted, to be fair, SP is fairly plentiful.

---

I killed Hikari's end-of-storyline boss in two and a half turns. Sure, I brought in a level 60 ringer with the rest of the mid and lower 40s team, but:

Round one:
- BP+2 item on Ochette
- Ochette buffs her attack/lowers shield point with the hunter's cleaver attack
- Hikari gives Tenemos a 1 BP item
-Paritio attacks to decrease a shield point

Round two:
-Tenemos uses his latent ability with the scholar elemental barrage at full charge, breaks the boss at 9 shields.
-Ochette uses Aeber's Reckoning for 15k
-Partitio uses the cleric divine skill on Ochette
-Hikari gives Ochette another 2 BP item
-Ochette does 45k with Aeber's awakening

Round three:
-Hikari ends it with a 12k warrior divine skill hit.

I heard that maybe this boss was annoying, so I didn't want to see its gimmicks.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 14, 2023

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm finishing up chapter 4s and honestly the thing that's given me the most trouble is the scourge of the sea, it took me a couple of attempts to get a team together that could break him consistently.

I'm looking forward to some hard boss fights.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

My random encounter eraser was Hikari with +1 BP, Initial LP, and A Step Ahead. Just double boost Sougetsusen and delete basically everything.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Prowler posted:

Yeah, this is great, though it costs SP.

Just slap the Apothecary passives that recovers SP after battle, easy. You don't even need First Step, with enough +spd equipment Partitio's probably going before the enemies anyway. I make other people Dancers so I can Stimulate him or just Bewildering Grace for funsies.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

:hai:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

My random encounter eraser was Hikari with +1 BP, Initial LP, and A Step Ahead. Just double boost Sougetsusen and delete basically everything.

Hikari was my stat booster repository so this was true even to the end of the game. Very few enemies could handle that. as it was doing 5 digits each hit, every time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Make sure you recruit all the other characters before starting more chapters or you will not have a good time.

Yeah, I feel vindicated in getting everyone now, because their chapters are scattered all across the world.

It creates a good "gameplay loop" where every new town seems to have at least one character's next chapter in it, so I'll just visit whichever one has the lowest level chapter.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yup, they're safe to sell. If you want to maximize profit, put Partitio in the party and have him hire someone who gives bonus money for selling.

I got a guy that gives +25% on sales. I'm sure there's something better than that, but it's significantly higher than anything else I've found (which are usually 5-10%).

Is there anyone else significantly higher in the early-ish zones (like up to level ~20)? If not I'll go ahead and sell with that bonus.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ytlaya posted:

I got a guy that gives +25% on sales. I'm sure there's something better than that, but it's significantly higher than anything else I've found (which are usually 5-10%).

Is there anyone else significantly higher in the early-ish zones (like up to level ~20)? If not I'll go ahead and sell with that bonus.

There's a 30% one somewhere in Western Crackridge but a 5% difference isn't going to make or break. Any other options that give higher % are chance based (so like a 5-40% bonus on sales).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only thing I don't like about the gameplay loop is having to switch characters out to try all their path actions, which I've only gotten around by deciding to not care about completionism and instead just rob/ interrogate/ beat up at my leisure since you end up visiting areas so often

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

precision posted:

The only thing I don't like about the gameplay loop is having to switch characters out to try all their path actions, which I've only gotten around by deciding to not care about completionism and instead just rob/ interrogate/ beat up at my leisure since you end up visiting areas so often

Realistically there's only like 4 things.

1. Get an item (via buying/stealing/entreating/mugging)
2. Recruit an ally
3. Incapacitate someone
4. Get information

There's two people that can do each of these during the day, and two that can do them at night.

Basically don't overthink it too much.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wanna brace myself a bit, Octopath 1 I wasn't fond of for a variety of reasons but the biggest stink it left in my mouth was the fact the true final boss had such a massive level grind to even be able to realistically face it (I assume cheese has been discovered since then) and grinding everyone to 70-80 and doing a tedious boss rush just to attempt it was just draining. Loved the fight itself but the abysmal payoff story wise and getting there just... wrecked it.

Anyone know if this is fixed in Octopath 2 or am I going to be getting to everyones chapter 4, finishing it and then it's to the Grind Mines

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I did the final boss in the 45~50 range. For reference the final chapters of the character stories all suggest Level 45. It was still a bit hairy in spots but it wasn't too terrible. The real grindfest is the optional superboss in postgame which I haven't gone for yet.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

precision posted:

Aw you can only use the path actions for active party members? That’s lame. Seems tedious to no actual purpose. I only just picked up the apothecary (fifth char) and I’m still in love with this game. Absolutely every little corner has insane amounts of love and craftsmanship put into it.

Was Octopath 1 as clever with the social webs in towns? There’s so many little stories there, and they always get some kind of reaction out of me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I am about to finish my fourth chapter 3 line in my main party and I'm level 29 on my highest party member vs. 37 on the question description.

Yeah imma have to be a little creative with these level 45 chapters.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wanna brace myself a bit, Octopath 1 I wasn't fond of for a variety of reasons but the biggest stink it left in my mouth was the fact the true final boss had such a massive level grind to even be able to realistically face it (I assume cheese has been discovered since then) and grinding everyone to 70-80 and doing a tedious boss rush just to attempt it was just draining. Loved the fight itself but the abysmal payoff story wise and getting there just... wrecked it.

Anyone know if this is fixed in Octopath 2 or am I going to be getting to everyones chapter 4, finishing it and then it's to the Grind Mines

I ragequit Octopath 1's final fight after realizing the grind it expected from me, and made it all the way through 2 without doing any grinding whatsoever, it's a big step up.

E: to clarify, in my case I fought all the random encounters I came across, but had Evasive Maneuvers on someone all the time and never needed to take it off to score levels

There's an optional boss I came across way too early and haven't attempted again, but it is disconnected from the main plot.

BurningBeard posted:

Was Octopath 1 as clever with the social webs in towns? There’s so many little stories there, and they always get some kind of reaction out of me.

Octopath 2 is an improvement in pretty much every way, but specifically the music and random NPC tidbits in 1 were on the same level.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 15, 2023

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I'm starting the 3rd chapters and my party has everyone in the range 40-50 with multiple maxed out jobs. Bewildering Grace is fun

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There’s a final chapter after you complete every character’s story that has a boss that’s not super difficult as far as I know. There’s also a separate optional super boss that requires grinding and the best equipment and stuff. The final boss in the first game felt like a combination final boss/optional super boss and I didn’t like that either.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Combo posted:

Realistically there's only like 4 things.

1. Get an item (via buying/stealing/entreating/mugging)
2. Recruit an ally
3. Incapacitate someone
4. Get information

There's two people that can do each of these during the day, and two that can do them at night.

Basically don't overthink it too much.

The only two that really matter for towns are items and info, as you only really need to recruit/knock out NPCs to enter specific places or complete side stories. Thus the ideal party would be Castti/Osvald/Throné/Partitio during the day, and Hikari/Temenos/Osvald/Agnea during the night. That said, it's not really worth going to that much effort (for instance, Osvald's gonna have low Scrutinize chances on most NPCs that Castti can't yet Inquire, so you really only need one of them), and sometimes it's just fun to knock out jerk NPCs with Throné or Hikari.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also it's set up so the entire western and eastern people have one of each day/night path action across them, if you're the kind of person who wants to run two full teams.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

My "A" team--the one that's over-leveled due to containing a main character and a really useful one (Ochette [67] and Castti [64] along with Throne [57] and Paritio [59]) took out the (location in Ku) Five-Tiered Tower pretty handily--so they're DEFINITELY overleveled for that thing. I assume they're expecting around level 45-50. Guess it's time to finish up the rest of the stories!

...the super boss will probably get attempted a few times, we'll see.

Edit: The final boss fight of that area gave 2BP per cleaving blow, which was nice, lol

Prowler fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 15, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Seeing how overleveled people are is just hilarious to me.

I'm at Throne's final chapter now which is level 45 and my party is level 32.

Can I avoid being oneshot?

Can all my damage being loaded onto Aeber's Reckoning save me?

Where on earth are the extra jobs? (I've found warmaster and inventor but idk where the others are and am having fun not knowing)

Find out next post!

Edit: Does anyone know if nuts do what they did in the last game and have an increased effect if a stat is higher? Aka is it better to save them all for late.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 15, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Her end boss was kinda easy, you’ll probably be ok. If you make it through the random battles.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can beat almost all info gathering challenges with Temenos now thanks to his Scholar subjob. On the first turn I can break 3-5 shields with Elemental Barrage (which basically translates to 5 since you can just retry however many times you want).

BurningBeard posted:

I love this part - it's fun just going around revealing the info on everyone.

edit: There was this one neat quest thing where I used Temenos's skill on this guy in one of the island towns, and he proceeded to have Temenos star in a fun little play. I wonder if I can do that for the other relevant path action characters as well (though I might have a harder time with the others, since I think the guy was 5-6* and Temenos can hit above his weight class with path actions).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ytlaya posted:

I can beat almost all info gathering challenges with Temenos now thanks to his Scholar subjob. On the first turn I can break 3-5 shields with Elemental Barrage (which basically translates to 5 since you can just retry however many times you want).

I love this part - it's fun just going around revealing the info on everyone.

edit: There was this one neat quest thing where I used Temenos's skill on this guy in one of the island towns, and he proceeded to have Temenos star in a fun little play. I wonder if I can do that for the other relevant path action characters as well (though I might have a harder time with the others, since I think the guy was 5-6* and Temenos can hit above his weight class with path actions).

That one was a side quest, whoever you fight him with ends up in a play. So anyone who can fight an NPC can complete that quest. I did it with Ochette.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

And I did it with Hikari! :v:

It was funny because you get into the play and Hikari just immediately one-shots the hero party turning the play into a villain victory and he's just like "oops I guess I can't stop putting forth my all even in a mock fight" while the crowd just cheers for him. It was great.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
My playthrough did it with Osvald, and it was honestly kind of adorable? He ended up playing a folk hero "Thieving Gentlemage" who steals from the corrupt, but doesn't even bother acting and starts to leave... until some kids in the audience try to encourage him, so he starts hamming it up and wipes the villains out with an ice spell.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ochette’s was the story of a beast girl who had a monster that protected her, played by your partner. A Hunter came for her and attacked her partner, then in response Ochette went into rage mode and kicked the guy’s rear end lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

And I did it with Hikari! :v:

It was funny because you get into the play and Hikari just immediately one-shots the hero party turning the play into a villain victory and he's just like "oops I guess I can't stop putting forth my all even in a mock fight" while the crowd just cheers for him. It was great.

The Temenos one was also really funny. He plays a fortune-teller who reveals increasingly crazy things about the various people who visit him. IIRC the last one was some lady who is like "I want to be happy" and then Temenos goes "you really should have said something about this *before* killing your husband."

edit: I find a Youtube that has them all - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucBNTioZwCU

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 15, 2023

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Enjoying this a lot more than the first just as a random aside. I decided to focus on 4 at a time instead of revolving my party around so when the 4 I'm using are done I'll start fresh on the others. That said had a string of random encounters that was kind of weird and wondering if they're connected somehow? Entered a new screen and a fight started right away with odd music and some shadow moose that looked really doofy. It cast FF type doom on a character then died so just kinda shrugged. Next encounter was a Octopuff Queen, then a fancy Cait

Just felt weird

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Level doesn't really seem to matter all that much in this game, gear or access to powerful classes and skills seems to be far more important. I have done most of the penultimate chapters and never had to restart a boss fight so far even when half my party was severely underleveled. The biggest roadblock so far was that I couldn't progress Agnea's chapter 4 because the level requirement for a path action was too high.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

"I can change to a couple classes but I want to finish my starting ones first!" - Me, a buffoon who didn't realize I was picking subclasses

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
85 hours into the game and I'm ready to do the final chapters. Who to start with first??? I'm tempted to do Castti's first cuz she's my main so I can finally rotate her out of my team, but I also can't imagine rotating her out of my team, so maybe do hers last?? Or maybe do hers first to get her EX skill and keep her leading the team anyway??? Ahhhh idk I can't decide!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Also want to say how much I love the running animations in this game. The little details like Castti holding onto her pouch or Partitio holding on to his hat. Perfection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Feels so strange telling people how great the graphics are in octopath traveler 2 of all games but fuckin a, they’re great!

I always wish I could bring 5 people instead of 4 but I suppose that wouldn’t make much sense. Just got all of them and picked throné for my main because I love stealing.