Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

quote:

British customers of the world's biggest cryptocurrency exchange face being unable to withdraw their money from the platform within months.

Binance has been forced to suspend withdrawals to British bank accounts following pressure from regulators on the cryptocurrency giant’s payment provider.

Paysafe said that the regulatory environment made it “too challenging” to process payments for the business and would shut it off in May.

Binance told customers this week that Paysafe would no longer handle card transactions and bank transfers in sterling from May 22. It has suspended the services for new users from Monday.

The move will effectively leave no way for customers in Britain to withdraw pounds from the platform to their bank accounts after that date, although it is understood that the companies are working on a way to keep some payments flowing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2023/03/14/binance-suspends-sterling-transfers-following-crypto-crackdown0/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They know the point they wanted to make, and did exactly enough work to get it, and publish something that boomers can nod at and say the whiny millennials are just lazy. It's not like they're going to publish a leftist rebuttal, and even if they did the narrative is already made.
The weird thing is it doesn't! It makes a brief aside about "I checked the welfare budgets and it's all tip top, no neoliberal problems here!" (Except oops, inflation means there are problems but anyway) And then takes Marx's theory of exploitation and applies it to everything wrong in the 90s, 00s, and 10s.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They know the point they wanted to make, and did exactly enough work to get it, and publish something that boomers can nod at and say the whiny millennials are just lazy. It's not like they're going to publish a leftist rebuttal, and even if they did the narrative is already made.

That's not at all the intent of the article...? It's about how the US needs to make systemic changes to stop the rich from exploiting the poor.

I forgot about the inflation bit. It also stopped me in my tracks when I read it and caused me to run the inflation calculator. Totally unnecessary to include it Seems like they tried and failed to add that to the beginning to give themselves a springboard to talk about their actual material.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

This sounds like it's good for Bitcoin.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

aren't these impossible pressures from regulators them having to keep track of who withdrawals more than 5k? lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lmao

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What's the problem, bitcoin transfers still work, just another reason to abandon filthy fiat

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Not enough tangent lines and circles man, and it's too bright to boot. C'mon, give me the good poo poo, you know I'm jonesing!

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i'm the 200 week moving average

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I was starting to wonder if we'd crossed the BTC support level for another ghosTTy graph driveby.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the y-axis is slaying me

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

so this is probably not what's happening today, but it's worth keeping in mind that when The Big One finally hits and a major stablecoin finally goes pop, that is likely is going to look like a spike in the price of BTC (and other classic cryptos) on exchanges where trades are not actually made in "USD" behind the scenes but instead on some USD-lookalike such as USDT or USDC or BUSD or whatever.

you would also expect to see a divergence between the "USD price" of BTC on those exchanges, and the price on exchanges where "USD" actually means USD... but are there any such exchanges left? Didn't even Coinbase wind up mashing their USD and USDC order books into one?

edit: i'm the blue balls that result when my RSI acts up and gets real bad

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 14, 2023

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Southern Cassowary posted:

the y-axis is slaying me

its log scale because how else will bitcoins be worth $100B each in 10 years

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

GigaPeon posted:

Apostrophe S Self Own.

I mean, this is fake, as you can clearly tell by the fact this is a photo of downtown Warsaw, what with the Polish street signage and Polish language ads and the extremely recognisable Rotunda building. And also the building underneath that banner hasn't looked that way in years. Also I think this bus model has been retired a few years back, too.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Thesaurus posted:

I assume this was the recent NYTimes article, which is definitely a good read: "Why Poverty Persists In America"
https://archive.is/Qf2PO

Yep that's it

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You should probably read the article because it's like the exact opposite of that.

Anyway regarding the inflation thing, yeah it's pretty hand-wavy but I guess the author wants to make a larger point regarding the causes of poverty beyond "we don't spend enough on welfare." It's not exactly like they're exonerating Reagan, they include him explicitly in the discussion of the decline of unions.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

What the actual gently caress is this graduated Y axis

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

recession: bitcoin is the answer
crypto collapses: bitcoin is the answer
crypto-affiliated banks collapse: bitcoin is the answer
ftx, celsius: bitcoin is the answer

you see, once you accept that bitcoin is the answer, then there is only one possibility in your mind: bitcoin is the answer.

buttcoin

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Heath posted:

You can make fun of bitcoin, but leave semilog plots out of it. :colbert:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BoldFace posted:

You can make fun of bitcoin, but leave semilog plots out of it. :colbert:
Gives some people a full log, I am told

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Nessus posted:

Gives some people a full log, I am told

...its 10x larger than it appears

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Heath posted:

Are you new to laughing at crypto bros? They've been using log scales forever.

I'm waiting for the day they use a log scale on the x-axis.

The real sin is that it starts at $0 and not $0.1

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/greatcheshire/status/1635746780842164224?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i remember reading a playstation magazine preview for the PS2, and they said you could play multiplayer games online and people would pay you to help them out with missions and my idiot baby brain was like "i'm going to make so much money being a gamer mercenary-for-hire". then I grew up and realized how loving STUPID that was.

anyways there are literally adults still thinking this, except with NFTs.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
OBTAIN PARTICPATION RIGHT IN WORLD EVENT ---> REVENUE ||

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

lol wasn't plan b aborted last cycle when he started blocking people who proved him wrong?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Trillhouse posted:

i remember reading a playstation magazine preview for the PS2, and they said you could play multiplayer games online and people would pay you to help them out with missions and my idiot baby brain was like "i'm going to make so much money being a gamer mercenary-for-hire". then I grew up and realized how loving STUPID that was.

https://boosting.pro/game/worldofwarcraft/wow-coaching/rent-a-player/

I don't think it's that uncommon. I know some streamers will hire themselves out as teammates.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Trillhouse posted:

I've heard that real money has traded hands over EVE wars but otherwise the only time I've heard about anything similar, it was for hilariously low amounts.

LIke, someone wanted our guild in Darkfall to alarm clock for a 1 am server time siege and offered 30 bucks, which would not even have been a buck a head for 3+ hours of work in the middle of the night.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Trillhouse posted:

Excuse me being an e-girl is cool and good

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

This sounds like it's good for Bitcoin.

This is good for Bitcoin! It's always good for Bitcoin!!

Bitcoiners who want something 'close' to cash will again be meeting in dark back alleys to trade Bitcoin for gift cards. Meaning a higher chance of avoiding tax!

(Also a higher chance of getting stabbed or shot, but serve 'em right for not hodling!)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

bring back the sphere grid!!!!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Not a fan of this new relic step

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
50 blitzball wins -> Free Common NFT
250 blitzball wins -> Free Uncommon NFT
1000 blitzball wins -> Free RARE NFT

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Trillhouse posted:

Guided runs in wow are still a good money maker. If you can carry somebody in a 15 or 20 it's about 25usd a player for 20 minutes work.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Or in ffxiv don't forget about the $4/mo you need to pay your sponsor to be in one of the goon FCs (guilds/clans), you can get good money from your downmarket

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Sentient Data posted:

Or in ffxiv don't forget about the $4/mo you need to pay your sponsor to be in one of the goon FCs (guilds/clans), you can get good money from your downmarket

lol what. I should have charged goons to be in my wow premiere raiding guild in 2004

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Salt Fish posted:

50 blitzball wins -> Free Common NFT
250 blitzball wins -> Free Uncommon NFT
1000 blitzball wins -> Free RARE NFT

Free RARE NFT -> 1 in 10 chance to sell it for a chance at an ULTRA RARE NFT -> Which gives you a chance to sell and make PROFIT???

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

cagliostr0 posted:

Guided runs in wow are still a good money maker. If you can carry somebody in a 15 or 20 it's about 25usd a player for 20 minutes work.

I thought Blizzard cracked down on that

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Unless you're the president of the company.

Or whatever his position is beyond king perv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
since EVE was mentioned I like how a spread sheet space game has more actual realized lore/history than all the metamatrix poo poo from the last few years.