Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Vandar posted:

When and why did the whole ‘the Undertaker is the best pure striker in the WWE!’ nonsense first begin? I can’t think of a time that’s ever been true and honestly when I think of ‘taker his lovely punches are one of the last things on my mind.

probably when he started talking about his soup bones and wearing mma gloves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Defenestrategy posted:

Was the guy who was supposed to be the shock master a big deal or was he just a big deal because Sting was gonna team with him? Like if it was a flawless reveal and it turned out to be Brookyln Brawler in a mask would it have carried the same weight as if it was Stan Hanson in a mask?

Even though his debut was a total disaster, they still went with their plan of having Shockmaster get the big win at War Games. They really intended to give him a big push until... yeah.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Breetai posted:

Has anyone ever won via submission/tapout against the undertaker? Was thinking about it the other day, and it seems like the one thing that they should probably never do purely on account of his character.

Kurt Angle made UT tap out in some episode of SD in... 2003-ish? Taker pinned Angle at the same time so it was a draw in the end, but still.

E. And if I recall correctly, it was a gogoplata-like sleeper, that Taker would adopt years later as the Hells Gates.

High Tension Wire fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 14, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Vandar posted:

When and why did the whole ‘the Undertaker is the best pure striker in the WWE!’ nonsense first begin? I can’t think of a time that’s ever been true and honestly when I think of ‘taker his lovely punches are one of the last things on my mind.

I was watching a Taker match from 1993 and JR calls his top-rope arm twist move "vintage Undertaker" so they just declare things as if they've always been things.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bonk posted:

Other than Hillbilly Jim and Dino Bravo, who else has debuted by being a stunt granny in the crowd that a wrestler pulled in?

edit: Wait, I think the debut I was thinking of was Dino Bravo pulling in Earthquake, not Dino debuting.

Steve Blackman and Blacktop Bully

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 14, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fad posted:

Earthquake

Earthquake's intro - where he tools up Ultimate Warrior, of all people - is worth a watch.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

High Tension Wire posted:

Kurt Angle made UT tap out in some episode of SD in... 2003-ish? Taker pinned Angle at the same time so it was a draw in the end, but still.

E. And if I recall correctly, it was a gogoplata-like sleeper, that Taker would adopt years later as the Hells Gates.

Pretty sure it was a triangle.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vandar posted:

It was definitely a thing when he came back around or after WMXX, to face Kane in the mid-2000s. I wanna say maybe during the latter half of his Bikertaker run?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Bonk posted:

Other than Hillbilly Jim and Dino Bravo, who else has debuted by being a stunt granny in the crowd that a wrestler pulled in?

edit: Wait, I think the debut I was thinking of was Dino Bravo pulling in Earthquake, not Dino debuting.

Santino did it too, though not quite in the way you say so not sure it counts.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I have to believe Memphis at some point did an angle where the wrestler was just someone in the crowd

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Steve Blackman sorta had this debut when he jumped the rail to defend Vader. He was just a martial arts badass who loved America so much he invaded the ring.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I've been thinking a lot lately about how booking is more of a creative endeavor than one that's constantly hot and it got me wondering about AJPW. The common narrative is that Baba's death and Misawa leading an exodus lead to their downturn, but what if Baba hadn't died? Can anyone more familiar with that era tell me if there were big narrative threads that Baba was setting up that were unresolved at the time of his death, or was their decline an inevitability, whether or not Baba died and Misawa lead the exodus and started NOAH? Had the decline actually started happening by that point?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pylons posted:

I've been thinking a lot lately about how booking is more of a creative endeavor than one that's constantly hot and it got me wondering about AJPW. The common narrative is that Baba's death and Misawa leading an exodus lead to their downturn, but what if Baba hadn't died? Can anyone more familiar with that era tell me if there were big narrative threads that Baba was setting up that were unresolved at the time of his death, or was their decline an inevitability, whether or not Baba died and Misawa lead the exodus and started NOAH? Had the decline actually started happening by that point?

All Japan had declined in the late 90s because the product was getting stale, they needed to freshen things up on top. They did that in 99 and 2000 with Vader and business picked back up. Baba probably never would have wanted to do the things wanted to do to expand, but Misawa probably wouldn't have left (and probably wouldn't have been able to steal the TV deal) if Baba was still alive.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wasn't watching at the time, did they ever do an angle that explained why Jack Tunney was no longer president and it was Gorilla Monsoon instead? Or did the former just disappear one day and the latter was announced?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I wasn't watching at the time, did they ever do an angle that explained why Jack Tunney was no longer president and it was Gorilla Monsoon instead? Or did the former just disappear one day and the latter was announced?

from what i can gather they did a brief announcement of Tunney's "retirement" (in reality they closed the Toronto office & canned everybody there) on one of their C-shows & had Monsoon take over on an interim basis a couple weeks later to announce the change to the Summerslam card of doing another Razor/HBK ladder match.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I still can't decide. Is Ken Shamrock good?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I still can't decide. Is Ken Shamrock good?

he was cool which is the most important part of pro wrestling

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Yes.

He was a good pro wrestler who could deliver his moves safely, work a decent match, had a good character and aura of "oh poo poo it's THIS guy", and had an awareness of timing. His promos were very weak though. King of the Ring victory should probably have gone to The Rock with hindsight but apparently WWF still had plans for him. His heel turn in late 1998 was bad and he never really recovered. He just wasn't over anymore. I've never seen him wrestle outside WWE though.

His matches with the Rock are all really good except for the stupid Dusty finishes. He had decent scraps with Shawn Michaels and Owen Hart on PPV too. His feuds with Steve Blackman and Chris Jericho were poor, then he left. I did enjoy the Iron Circle match against Blackman though because it's so stupid.

There was talk of him returning to WWF in 2000 to feud with Kurt Angle, which would have been enjoyable. I like to imagine they would have legit amateur wrestled eachother in their matches.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Oh yeah he definitely looked great and had a real aura of "legitimate tough guy".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He was cool, but not as cool as Steve Blackman

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What's the worst wrestling theme ever?

Randy Orton's Mercy Drive one yeah

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Not in terms of the music itself, but in terms of function it's gotta be Bray Wyatt's new theme "Shatter". Now I like the song itself a lot actually even if it is kinda buttrock, but:

1. It has a minute+ long intro that's just a droning soft piano note over and over. There's no siren/glass shattering/gong/distinctive riff to announce he's here, it's just always this overly long slow soft buildup as he comes out. Cool for an epic PPV entrance, not so cool when otherwise.

2. By the time the punchy chorus actually hits, he's been wandering from the entrance to the ring for too drat long already so you can enjoy the actual cool part of the song for the entrance for all of 30 seconds

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Kosmo Gallion posted:

During the Billy Corgan era of TNA, I remember something about getting the rights to "Doll Parts" by Hole for an entrance theme, which just did not work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Everything by whoever is writing WWE's current themes

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Kosmo Gallion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZNHPj4LUec

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

People are asking what song you could recite for 5 million and I would pick that one.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
For me it's pretty hard to top the Uncle Kracker X-Factor theme or Rob Conway's weird Randy Newman-esque song.

But currently it's probably Saraya's boyfriend's dumb cancel culture song because gently caress that guy.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I dunno about worst but I hated Benoit's theme in WCW. It sounded like a song they'd play at a conference to introduce a keynote speaker.

Revolution stable theme kicked rear end though.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Has any wrestler ever been booked to turn on a partner or friend but instead of being smug, arrogant or bitter about it when they explain themselves they come off as more conflicted and mournful?
"You think I hate him? I love that guy! But this is what i had to do to escape his shadow!"
You know, something like that.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Not in terms of the music itself, but in terms of function it's gotta be Bray Wyatt's new theme "Shatter".

Give Mark Crozer his song back!! Letting "Broken Out in Love" sit fallow on the shelves is such a waste.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Kosmo Gallion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXIFUDw0unk

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

ChrisBTY posted:

Has any wrestler ever been booked to turn on a partner or friend but instead of being smug, arrogant or bitter about it when they explain themselves they come off as more conflicted and mournful?
"You think I hate him? I love that guy! But this is what i had to do to escape his shadow!"

I feel like it kinda happened between Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

ChrisBTY posted:

Shane Storm's heel turn in Chikara was like this. After being part of the first King of Trios winning team, he proceeded to lose a lot, especially in singles matches. At the end of the 2007 season, he had a match with beloved heel comedy jobber Hydra and Hydra's leader UltraMantis Black mysteriously helped sabotage Hydra's chances of winning. That same night, Chris Hero had a hair vs. mask match with Equinox. A plot thread going on was that Quackenbush introduced a new submission called the Chikara Special and Hero had no answer to it, so he would tap out and lose various matches. Against Equinox, Hero was able to finally reverse his way out of it. The idea was that only Quack and his inner circle knew how to do that. So either Hero figured it out by himself (and he had one foot out the door, so there was no story in that) or somebody stabbed Quack in the back.

Shane started doing better in 2008 and his momentum led to him and Quack tagging together and getting enough wins for a title shot. After their last win, Tim Donst (who was going undercover as a heel) ran out to whisper into Quack's ear. Quack lost his poo poo and started beating up Shane. Turned out Shane was so desperate for a win that he sold out Quack's secret to the heels in exchange for an assist so he could get out of his losing streak.

Shane was really apologetic about his actions, especially after Quack would beat the poo poo out of him in singles matches. Then Vin Gerard (the unmasked Equinox) got him to accept what he was, had him change his mask/name, and they started a "screw the Chikara locker room" group called the UnStable with Colin Delaney later joining.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Gavok I just want to say, I really appreciate and enjoy the way you recount stories from Chikara.

As for the OP; Batista felt so wronged by Rey Mysterio that he had to beat him up. I can't remember what the issue was, but Batista screaming "you were supposda be mah friend!" was the genesis of Douchetista and it ruled.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Gavok I just want to say, I really appreciate and enjoy the way you recount stories from Chikara.

As for the OP; Batista felt so wronged by Rey Mysterio that he had to beat him up. I can't remember what the issue was, but Batista screaming "you were supposda be mah friend!" was the genesis of Douchetista and it ruled.

It was also memorable because it was, well, Batista, chucking around, well, Rey Mysterio.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

are there documented instances of the wrong theme playing after a match, more specifically the losing side's? if this happens a lot, what was the funniest time

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

SiKboy posted:

Didnt he go on to work for colesium video or something similar after he quit as an active wrestler or am I thinking of someone else?
Yes. For whatever reason, maybe just Jim being so darned likable on top of how ridiculously over he was when he first blew out his knee, he was treated unusually well despite being injury-prone. And then, in 1991, he moved over to Coliseum Video.

Useful reading:
Hillbilly Jim adds more muscle to Coliseum team (Billboard 3/17/1991) https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A10529421/ITOF?u=nysl_me_bpl_cent&sid=bookmark-ITOF&xid=0c439ab9
Wrestling superstar Hillbilly Jim promotes sell-through (Video Business 10/2/1992) https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A12682309/ITOF?u=nysl_me_bpl_cent&sid=bookmark-ITOF&xid=c5281706
WWF ends Coliseum deal, starts label (Video Business 1/5/1998) https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A20205572/ITOF?u=nysl_me_bpl_cent&sid=bookmark-ITOF&xid=86dda47a
Lord of the Ring (Video Business 6/5/2000) https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A63017966/ITOF?u=nysl_me_bpl_cent&sid=bookmark-ITOF&xid=fa321e42

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

Yes. For whatever reason, maybe just Jim being so darned likable on top of how ridiculously over he was when he first blew out his knee, he was treated unusually well despite being injury-prone. And then, in 1991, he moved over to Coliseum Video.

Bix, I think it was you on BTS talking about how we'd never get anything like Jim's introduction today. Not that 'plant in the crowd turns out to be wrestler' but somebody over whom the likes of Hogan and Piper are going at it to have.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
how is 12000000 pronounced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dawgstar posted:

Bix, I think it was you on BTS talking about how we'd never get anything like Jim's introduction today. Not that 'plant in the crowd turns out to be wrestler' but somebody over whom the likes of Hogan and Piper are going at it to have.
That, but also that if you watch the TV where he's finally turned into a character, he's already INCREDIBLY over. Before he ever said a word or did anything other than wave in the crowd.