Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This isn't just on the Quest, but here's a VR app my employers are putting a lot into. We have a compute cluster running as the back end for molecular analysis. The collaborative tools are fantastic. This is the VR killer app for us.

Short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-V5EQ-FBMc

Longer video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG2UIJ4KrAw

For non-work stuff, flight sims are the VR killer app for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, VR workspaces have always been dead in the water, and I think the only ones it wasn't apparent to was Facebook and the investors themselves.

VR is, I would say, more dead than not in the traditional gaming space, though I guess we'll see what happens with the psvr2. The only place I think it still would get a lot of play is in the simulation arena - DCS, iRacing, Microsoft Flight and the like. The sort of things where you're fixed in a cockpit and benefit greatly from the ability to look around in real time.

"facebook" doesn't think vr meetings are the future. zuck does. everyone else at facebook knows how god-awful they are - even more than you or i - because zuck keeps trying to make them a thing and so they've had to sit through them for real instead of just imagining it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Vehicle-based poo poo is ideal for VR because the idea is you're simulating the experience of just sitting there and operating the vehicle. When I think of other VR experiences I would like, they all primarily involve sitting/observing as the world goes by.

Imagine Roller Coaster Tycoon but you can ride the coasters in VR. That'd be loving sweet.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Oh well that's reassuring

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/13/23638823/microsoft-ethics-society-team-responsible-ai-layoffs

Laying off your entire AI ethics team just in time for GTP4s launch.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

evilweasel posted:

"facebook" doesn't think vr meetings are the future. zuck does. everyone else at facebook knows how god-awful they are - even more than you or i - because zuck keeps trying to make them a thing and so they've had to sit through them for real instead of just imagining it.

As long as Zuck sits at the helm, I don't feel bad conflating him personally with Facebook as a whole. He's still sets the priorities for the company as a whole, even if everyone in his near orbit is trying to talk him down from that ledge.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Mega Comrade posted:

Laying off your entire AI ethics team just in time for the System Shock remake launch.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

PT6A posted:

Vehicle-based poo poo is ideal for VR because the idea is you're simulating the experience of just sitting there and operating the vehicle. When I think of other VR experiences I would like, they all primarily involve sitting/observing as the world goes by.

Imagine Roller Coaster Tycoon but you can ride the coasters in VR. That'd be loving sweet.

I’ve sat in those “virtual coaster” type rides which is just an enclosed box on rails that can tilt, lift, lower, etc. That experience is absolutely nothing like riding a real actual rollercoaster capable of dropping you hundreds of feet while inverted.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
That's where I really think the environment for VR is: training and professional/industrial work. Don't do it for dumb white collar meetings that could've been emails, work on the robotics aspect so you can have workers step into a warehouse across the country and control Forkliftus Prime to get someone's amazon package.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’ve sat in those “virtual coaster” type rides which is just an enclosed box on rails that can tilt, lift, lower, etc. That experience is absolutely nothing like riding a real actual rollercoaster capable of dropping you hundreds of feet while inverted.

Yeah I've been in those too, and they are assuredly rear end, I just think it'd be fun to do it with a VR headset for $40 or something at home while getting drunk. Obviously it's not the same, in the way that flying a plane in VR is not like flying a real plane, but it's still a good experience. And I think those virtual coasters are basically the Redbirds of coaster simulation: they suck, but they're very large and impressive and expensive so we're supposed to pretend they're not awful.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

PT6A posted:

Yeah I've been in those too, and they are assuredly rear end, I just think it'd be fun to do it with a VR headset for $40 or something at home while getting drunk. Obviously it's not the same, in the way that flying a plane in VR is not like flying a real plane, but it's still a good experience. And I think those virtual coasters are basically the Redbirds of coaster simulation: they suck, but they're very large and impressive and expensive so we're supposed to pretend they're not awful.

I dunno about you, but I ride rollercoasters for the thrill it puts on my body. What fun would it be to sit in a chair and watch myself allegedly being dropped down a ramp?

I feel like the comparison to flying a VR plane is different. I mean unless you’re doing like VR dogfighting, sitting comfortably in a motionless chair seems to be what pilots actually experience.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Sorry thats been delayed

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I dunno about you, but I ride rollercoasters for the thrill it puts on my body. What fun would it be to sit in a chair and watch myself allegedly being dropped down a ramp?

I feel like the comparison to flying a VR plane is different. I mean unless you’re doing like VR dogfighting, sitting comfortably in a motionless chair seems to be what pilots actually experience.

True. But it sounds a lot better than a lot of other VR use cases which suck outright.

And I can tell you aerobatics in VR is... pretty fun. Not as fun as the real thing, but definitely still good, and a whole hell of a lot more accessible.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
VR's benefit isn't about trying to badly simulate reality. A VR conference room is just as boring as a real one, and a VR roller coaster isn't as fun. What's cool is the ability to do things you simply can't do IRL, like the videos on the top of this page. The killer app for me when I first tried VR was just the SteamVR home demo, where you could just use a spray paint can to create 3D shapes in the air.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

because it's really neat, once

not sure why you do it the second time though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

Oh well that's reassuring

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/13/23638823/microsoft-ethics-society-team-responsible-ai-layoffs

Laying off your entire AI ethics team just in time for GTP4s launch.

quote:

Many existing ML benchmarks are written in English. To get an initial sense of capability in other languages, we translated the MMLU benchmark—a suite of 14,000 multiple-choice problems spanning 57 subjects—into a variety of languages using Azure Translate (see Appendix). In the 24 of 26 languages tested, GPT-4 outperforms the English-language performance of GPT-3.5 and other LLMs (Chinchilla, PaLM), including for low-resource languages such as Latvian, Welsh, and Swahili:

That's an alright tradeoff, I feel. :colbert:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's an alright tradeoff, I feel. :colbert:

... How good is Azure translate output for Latvian?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

... How good is Azure translate output for Latvian?

No idea. The anecdotal example at the end of the GPT-4 announcement had decent enough Lativan. A stiff turn of phrase or two, but nothing criminal.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

tractor fanatic posted:

VR's benefit isn't about trying to badly simulate reality. A VR conference room is just as boring as a real one, and a VR roller coaster isn't as fun. What's cool is the ability to do things you simply can't do IRL, like the videos on the top of this page. The killer app for me when I first tried VR was just the SteamVR home demo, where you could just use a spray paint can to create 3D shapes in the air.

🤦‍♂️did this mf just say that creating 3d shapes is a killer app

Edit: behold the killer app, give me vc millions plz

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 14, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maybe a bit more seriously, I have two threads of thought on GPT-4 at the moment, that are of relevance to this thread:

1) Unsurprisingly to anyone but the most naive, OpenAI snobs have gone fully closed-source.

quote:

Given both
the competitive landscape and the safety implications of large-scale models like GPT-4, this report
contains no further details about the architecture (including model size), hardware, training compute,
dataset construction, training method, or similar.
Which is interesting both as a repeat of the “don't be evil” vanishing episode, and as a departure from the realm of scientific communication to at best a realm of defensive marketing.

2) Really not looking forward to SEO spam 3.0, where there's going to be a bunch of hallucinated poo poo polluting everything you read.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Magic Underwear posted:

🤦‍♂️did this mf just say that creating 3d shapes is a killer app

Edit: behold the killer app, give me vc millions plz

Sorry, I didn't realize play doh could float. Or that you could scale it, or duplicate it, or transmit it, or literally anything you can do with something that exists digitally.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tractor fanatic posted:

Sorry, I didn't realize play doh could float. Or that you could scale it, or duplicate it, or transmit it, or literally anything you can do with something that exists digitally.

you're describing stuff that's existed for 20 years or more

in fact 20 years ago you could even feel the stuff virtually too

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Maybe a bit more seriously, I have two threads of thought on GPT-4 at the moment, that are of relevance to this thread:

1) Unsurprisingly to anyone but the most naive, OpenAI snobs have gone fully closed-source.

Which is interesting both as a repeat of the “don't be evil” vanishing episode, and as a departure from the realm of scientific communication to at best a realm of defensive marketing.

2) Really not looking forward to SEO spam 3.0, where there's going to be a bunch of hallucinated poo poo polluting everything you read.

1. This poo poo sucks. I think the best ai stuff will come when anyone can build a good sized customized llm on their pc. Basically exactly like how it went for smartphones, they were neat but opening them up to devs is what sent them to the moon. This is purely big companies wanting a defensible market advantage.

2. Who cares, Google is already 90% useless content farms polluting every search, we already have to filter it out. Hallucinated garbage vs. third-world seo bait is not that much of a difference, the cardinal rule remains "consider the source".

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

tractor fanatic posted:

evilweasel posted:

Indeed! Here is a video that blew my mind back in college, it does what you're talking about in 1962! Suffice to say the demo you're talking about is hardly a new capability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RyU50qbvzQ

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Magic Underwear posted:

2. Who cares, Google is already 90% useless content farms polluting every search, we already have to filter it out. Hallucinated garbage vs. third-world seo bait is not that much of a difference, the cardinal rule remains "consider the source".

The who cares part comes in when you imagine AI-generated comments on discussion spaces like Reddit, HN, etcetera. For example, there's r/BuyItForLife subreddit, which sometimes have decent reviews/points to fairly niche things, e.g., if you're shopping for a torch that can take a beating. Just the other day, I saw someone fine-tune a GPT-based chatbot with the threads and comments of that subreddit. Literally, the whole point of it is authentic interactions, and now there's a bot just randomly making poo poo up about the best umbrellas or whatever, that may not even be real.

When we get to the point in mass adoption where these things are properly cheap, there's going to be a real premium on a service that guarantees that you're talking to a real person. I think there's a decent chance that the only social media worth reading will be pay-per-post, basically, although we're kind-of already moving in that direction with the paid “verification” stuff. Ironic, considering the website I'm typing this all on.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

OddObserver posted:

VR games aren't for me, but I can understand why some people may want them and why, say, Sony, would put in money into making a VR product.... But who the heck wants VR for meetings ?

B4B sales are incredibly attractive because your sales team only has to convince a few dumbass senior executives in order to sell hundreds or thousands of units with a huge markup over consumer prices, and once they've locked themselves in somehow, they'll pay boatloads for support. When selling to the consumer market, you have to convince each and every customer that your product is worth spending a substantial portion of their own paychecks on. When selling to business, you've just got to convince a few empty suits who don't do any actual work to redirect the IT department's budget into forcing everyone in the company to use these things.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

evilweasel posted:

This is like pointing at Photoshop / digital art tools and laughing because we have pencils, ink, paints, dyes, brushes, mosaic tiles, resins, etc. for 2D art which could just be scanned. There's huge advantages to working in digital space (and major tradeoffs) for many workflows, esp now that we have destinations like game engines, accessible 3D suites, and 3D printers.

RedZone
Dec 6, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The who cares part comes in when you imagine AI-generated comments on discussion spaces like Reddit, HN, etcetera. For example, there's r/BuyItForLife subreddit, which sometimes have decent reviews/points to fairly niche things, e.g., if you're shopping for a torch that can take a beating. Just the other day, I saw someone fine-tune a GPT-based chatbot with the threads and comments of that subreddit. Literally, the whole point of it is authentic interactions, and now there's a bot just randomly making poo poo up about the best umbrellas or whatever, that may not even be real.

When we get to the point in mass adoption where these things are properly cheap, there's going to be a real premium on a service that guarantees that you're talking to a real person. I think there's a decent chance that the only social media worth reading will be pay-per-post, basically, although we're kind-of already moving in that direction with the paid “verification” stuff. Ironic, considering the website I'm typing this all on.

Just to piggyback on this a bit, Google released a trailer today showing new AI features that they are adding to their Workspace product line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DaJVZBXETE. We are in for a really bleak future with these language models... In addition to trashing social interactions online, we are going to get to a point where we are outsourcing critical thinking, reading comprehension, and the basic fundamentals of being an informed human being to this type of tech. It's going to be a weird time when most conversations will just be someone sending out an AI-generated message, followed by everyone saying "summarize and send a reply to this thread" to an AI.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

How long until we have the first lawsuit over someone replying to an email with AI and then not wanting to deliver on what the AI agreed to.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RedZone posted:

Just to piggyback on this a bit, Google released a trailer today showing new AI features that they are adding to their Workspace product line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DaJVZBXETE. We are in for a really bleak future with these language models... In addition to trashing social interactions online, we are going to get to a point where we are outsourcing critical thinking, reading comprehension, and the basic fundamentals of being an informed human being to this type of tech. It's going to be a weird time when most conversations will just be someone sending out an AI-generated message, followed by everyone saying "summarize and send a reply to this thread" to an AI.

Just to be clear, I don't want my post to be associated with doomerism.

RedZone
Dec 6, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Just to be clear, I don't want my post to be associated with doomerism.

Sorry, wasn't going for a doomer angle. Just a general annoyance at the mountain of AI-generated bullshit that we will have to wade through.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RedZone posted:

Sorry, wasn't going for a doomer angle. Just a general annoyance at the mountain of AI-generated bullshit that we will have to wade through.

Fair enough, that I'm none too pleased about either, at the very least until hallucinations are constrained within a well-understood confidence margin.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I wonder how you'd even cut through that. Trying to find reviews on products where 99.25% of text content having to do with purchasable products after a certain date is extruded from a language model to hawk DLINDBLE and ZQMFB.

I feel like static text-based discussion would just become flat-out unusable for real discussion, especially if there was anything material at stake (economic, political, etc.)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HolHorsejob posted:

I wonder how you'd even cut through that. Trying to find reviews on products where 99.25% of text content having to do with purchasable products after a certain date is extruded from a language model to hawk DLINDBLE and ZQMFB.

I feel like static text-based discussion would just become flat-out unusable for real discussion, especially if there was anything material at stake (economic, political, etc.)

I mean, you won't defeat someone sitting there and typing things in and out of ChatGPT, but you can do a lot by slapping like $10/month for “real person” checkmark. Then you just need to pay attention to these paying accounts and make sure that they don't cheat by hot-wiring a chatbot to work the website in their place, for a hypothetical.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I mean, you won't defeat someone sitting there and typing things in and out of ChatGPT, but you can do a lot by slapping like $10/month for “real person” checkmark. Then you just need to pay attention to these paying accounts and make sure that they don't cheat by hot-wiring a chatbot to work the website in their place, for a hypothetical.

For some reason, I feel like a verification like that is more like $11 bucks a month.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Magic Underwear posted:

Indeed! Here is a video that blew my mind back in college, it does what you're talking about in 1962! Suffice to say the demo you're talking about is hardly a new capability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RyU50qbvzQ

Wait how the gently caress was this available back in 1962?! This has completely blown my mind.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MixMasterMalaria posted:

This is like pointing at Photoshop / digital art tools and laughing because we have pencils, ink, paints, dyes, brushes, mosaic tiles, resins, etc. for 2D art which could just be scanned. There's huge advantages to working in digital space (and major tradeoffs) for many workflows, esp now that we have destinations like game engines, accessible 3D suites, and 3D printers.

You could literally sculpt virtual clay in 3D and even feel it 20 years ago. Also there were 3D printers then too.

It was mostly used for product design cause it was expensive rather than consumer though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
a VR experience but it lets you simulate some of those awful OHSA accident videos. give me that Byford Dolphin experience

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I've been disappointed that VR seems to suck all the air out of the room and has stunted the augmented reality stuff that I feel is a much more interesting use of the same technology. It's wild that the biggest VR company lacks the imagination for anything beyond reinventing Second Life with goggles.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
AR would be real cool if i could have some glasses that display my speed and nav when im on a motorcycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

OctaMurk posted:

AR would be real cool if i could have some glasses that display my speed and nav when im on a motorcycle

That's not some new cutting edge augmented reality tech, that's just a heads-up display and has been used in military aircraft since 1958.

Cars or motorcycles with them are less common but the tech isn't exactly new. The BMW 5 series has had a HUD since 2004, and the newer ones have nav features too.
From a quick google search there are a handful of different companies making either helmets or helmet add-ons that can do it too. At least one such helmet add-on suffers from startup-itis and became a useless brick due to some always-online drm bullshit after the company went out of business.

It seems like keeping your eyes on the road while checking your speedometer would be a nice safety improvement so I wonder why it isn't standard on more cars.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 15, 2023