Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Whoa, I haven't played Trinity in forever. I always thought it was one of Infocom's best from back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Huh.

Huh. Horse Master will probably be the easiest to play for people who haven't played this type of game before, since it's a choice-based Twine game without puzzles.

Counterfeit Monkey is very good and clever and unique. Maybe a bit too ambitious for newer players?

Haven't played Trinity, but judging by my experiences with other Infocom games, the UX might become an issue.

Never got around to playing Worlds Apart.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
just a few hours left to vote!

https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1618035524375285760

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Not interested in the visual novel format so I'll sit this one out.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is it visual novel? I thought IF was basically digital CYOA.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I voted for Trinity because I played it once but never finished it. I vaguely remember getting stuck at floating in orbit and decompressing, and I had a skink which didn't help. Unfortunately this was pre-internet so I had no access to hints and I was also just a little kid.

It has no chance of winning though. I should have mentioned the skink earlier.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

lol @ the absolute state of this forum recommending a thing that isn't a book for the book of the month

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A human heart posted:

lol @ the absolute state of this forum recommending a thing that isn't a book for the book of the month

Expand your horizons!

Anything's a book if you're brave enough

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 31, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Book of the Month for February is

Counterfeit Monkey by Emily Short!

Information and link to free online copy here:
https://ifdb.org/viewgame?id=aearuuxv83plclpl

quote:

Winner, Best Game; Winner, Best Setting; Winner, Best Puzzles; Winner, Best Individual PC; Winner, Best Implementation; Nominee, Best Use of Innovation - 2012 XYZZY Awards

3rd Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of All Time (2015 edition)

1st Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of All Time (2019 edition)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 31, 2023

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Expand your horizons!

Anything's a book if you're brave enough

you're getting people on this forum to play a text adventure on the computer and pretend it's a book. it isn't

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If it bothers you that much, don't participate.

ETA: Stories are stories no matter the format.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 31, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Im gonna go read something else from the list after I finish oil! I think I'll stick to something short.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I am still working on Oil! but so far I'm a little disappointed in it. It's a weird book to read; every few paragraphs I'm like "ok, that's a nice bit of writing" but overall the story just isn't grabbing me. I think I'm waiting for the communist hero to show up and so far it's all just capitalists everywhere.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
TBB maybe isn’t the best forum for it, but I really like Counterfeit Monkey. It’s a text-based game that couldn’t work in any other format, and the comprehensiveness of implementation is extremely impressive; Short really thought of every possible word. The only place where the seams show somewhat is the somewhat railroad-y conversation system, although the Alex personality coming to the fore provides a clever justification for this.

Despite the goofiness of the concept, there’s obviously some serious political themes here, and I suppose that’s the obvious aspect to discuss in a TBB context. If there’s a theory of political change here, it seems to be one that revolves around abstract ideas in the minds of the masses rather than material factors, but of course to some extent this follows from the nature of the setting rather than being a straightforward statement about the real world.

Emily Short has some interesting things to say about her writing process here: https://emshort.blog/2013/01/31/making-of-counterfeit-monkey-story/

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Counterfeit Monkey is my favorite Interactive Fiction. For once it really uses the medium to it's full extend. But also, the world is really cool and the political themes were quite interesting.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Counterfeit Monkey can definitely end up being too much for people who've never tried this type of game, but it is indeed great and could have only been done in this medium.

The interactive fiction does the IF equivalent of those "best movies of ALL TIME!" polls once every five years and Counterfeit Monkey was 3 and 1 in the two that were conducted since it was made.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I am still working on Oil! but so far I'm a little disappointed in it. It's a weird book to read; every few paragraphs I'm like "ok, that's a nice bit of writing" but overall the story just isn't grabbing me. I think I'm waiting for the communist hero to show up and so far it's all just capitalists everywhere.

It almost frankly seems a bit sneering or something. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Can we do Steppenwolf for March?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sandwolf posted:

Can we do Steppenwolf for March?

We will do steppenwolf in march.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igvP806798U

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Megazver posted:

Counterfeit Monkey can definitely end up being too much for people who've never tried this type of game, but it is indeed great and could have only been done in this medium.

The interactive fiction does the IF equivalent of those "best movies of ALL TIME!" polls once every five years and Counterfeit Monkey was 3 and 1 in the two that were conducted since it was made.

:same:

I admit I do like IF but rely on guides to clear the content I ended up getting stuck in CF so I never completed it. I like Emily Short's blog and her other games which are more straightforward but the writing still works even though it's been a decade since I started IF. She is currently working on Mask of the Rose which is out in April soon.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I ran around deleting letters from things for a while, but then my online save got corrupted so I couldn't continue. Which is a pretty accurate recreation of how my old Infocom games went.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
BOTM this month is Herman Hesse's Steppenwolf; sorry I was a little late getting the thread up this month, I was on vacation and away from a desktop for a while.

quote:

The book is presented as a manuscript written by its protagonist, a middle-aged man named Harry Haller, who leaves it to a chance acquaintance, the nephew of his landlady. The acquaintance adds a short preface of his own and then has the manuscript published. The title of this "real" book-in-the-book is Harry Haller's Records (For Madmen Only).

As the story begins, the hero is beset by reflections on his being ill-suited for the world of everyday, regular people, specifically for frivolous bourgeois society. In his aimless wanderings about the city he encounters a person carrying an advertisement for a magic theatre who gives him a small book, Treatise on the Steppenwolf.

quote:

In 1924, Hermann Hesse married singer Ruth Wenger. After several weeks, however, he left Basel, only returning near the end of the year. Upon his return, he rented a separate apartment, adding to his isolation. After a short trip to Germany with Wenger, Hesse stopped seeing her almost completely. The resulting feeling of isolation and inability to make lasting contact with the outside world led to increasing despair and the return of Hesse's suicidal thoughts.

Hesse began writing Steppenwolf in Basel, and finished it in Zürich.[citation needed] In 1926, he published a precursor to the book, a collection of poems titled The Crisis: From Hermann Hesse's Diary. The novel was later released in 1927. The first English edition, translated by Basil Creighton, was published in 1929 by Martin Secker in the United Kingdom and by Henry Holt and Company in the United States.

In 1926, Hesse also became acquainted with jazz music, attending Swiss performances of the Revue Nègre featuring Josephine Baker and Sidney Bechet; Steven C. Tracy, professor of Afro-American Studies at the University of Massachusetts, writes, "the character of Pablo... was inspired by Bechet's playing"[2]

You can listen to Sidney Bechet here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgWNU_wiSKw

quote:

On September 15, 1925, Bechet and other members of the Revue Nègre, including Josephine Baker, sailed to Europe, arriving at Cherbourg, France, on September 22. The revue opened at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées[8] in Paris on October 2. The show was an example of negrophilia in France at the time.[9] He toured Europe with multiple bands, reaching as far as Russia in mid-1926. In 1928, he led his small band at Chez Bricktop (run by the popular Ada "Bricktop" Smith) in Montmartre, Paris.

In France, Bechet found that he was appreciated by a wider audience and had more general freedom than he did in the United States.[7]

He was imprisoned in Paris for eleven months.[10][11] In his autobiography, he wrote that he accidentally shot a woman when he was trying to shoot a musician who had insulted him. He had challenged the man to duel and said, "Sidney Bechet never plays the wrong chord."[12] After his release, he was deported to New York, arriving soon after the stock market crash of 1929. He joined with Lorenzo Tio and also came to know trumpeter Roy Eldridge.[5]

This book should be out of copyright as of this year, so free versions should soon start becoming available online. The only one I've found so far is:
http://www.kkoworld.com/kitablar/Herman_Hesse_Yalquzaq_eng.pdf

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I hope your vacation was good, HA :)

Excited for this because I haven't really read any Hesse aside from Demian when I was in K-12, which I barely remember. Maybe this will get me back into Hesse in a bigger way.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This sounds neat. I'll read it after I'm finished with Before the Coffee gets cold which shouldn't take that long, I think.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I’m gonna start this today, and I will try to post my thoughts on it as I read.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Lawman 0 posted:

This sounds neat. I'll read it after I'm finished with Before the Coffee gets cold which shouldn't take that long, I think.

Hah, it shouldn't and just remember it was written as a play.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

This was a gift to me from a Secret Santa last year and I read it early 2022. Strangely I never had before. And I really liked it and could not predict where it ultimately went, and am still puzzling my way through what it means. The first half or so is a typical misanthropic character that most teens would idolize, but then, it winds up much more optimistic than I had expected--certainly for the interwar period. Very good.

Funny story: when I went to shelf the book there was a coverless book where it belonged, and when I removed it, it turned out to be ANOTHER copy of Steppenwolf! I have vague memories of saving this from being trashed at a workplace waaaaaay back when but never read it. I donated that copy to one of the mini free libraries we have in the neighbourhood and the following Saturday saw a bottle picker/ homeless dude sitting on a park bench reading it. A couple months later, also on a Saturday (we have our routines) I saw him again with another book I donated, this time a Swedish crime novel I got in an airport. Clearly I need to put more books out for him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Is this why characters are so often named Harry

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Because wolves are?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I'm working on it, only like 1/4 of the way in. Out of curiosity, is steppe wolf a thing? Like as a saying. Prior to this were people described that way? And just this guy is not A steppe wolf but The Steppenwolf?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bilirubin posted:

Because wolves are?

I've felt for a long time that the name "Harry" is overrepresented among fictional protagonists

I wonder if that starts here

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I've felt for a long time that the name "Harry" is overrepresented among fictional protagonists

I wonder if that starts here

I'll assume you got the joke...

I honestly can't think of any myself that I read. I mean that kid wizard school series character but I never read it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bilirubin posted:

I'll assume you got the joke...

I honestly can't think of any myself that I read. I mean that kid wizard school series character but I never read it

I think i caught the tail end of it

Harry Potter of course yeah but also Harry Dresden, Dirty Harry, Harry Bosch, Harrier Du Bois in Disco Elysium, etc. I've never met a Harry in person. It's a name that only seems to exist in fiction

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I think i caught the tail end of it

Harry Potter of course yeah but also Harry Dresden, Dirty Harry, Harry Bosch, Harrier Du Bois in Disco Elysium, etc. I've never met a Harry in person. It's a name that only seems to exist in fiction

Prince Harry? Bellafonte? Houdini? Rosen?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I'm about a fourth or fifth of the way through and look I've been using "werewolf brain" and the werewolf in general as allegory for my experiences as a woman with bipolar I disorder for years and the book is beating my rear end right now. For god's sake

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm up to page 69 (nice) and I like the funny Wolfman ramblings.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Read it in one sitting at the bar because I don't have any plans other than giving my friend who works here a ride home. Some initial thoughts:

- The writing is very pretty which is part of what made it so easy to plow through in a day.
- The incoherence and hedonism of the ending sequences are fun and the journey enjoyable to follow on the whole but ultimately I don't know that I got more out if this than I did out of similar texts. Of Human Bondage comes to mind.
- With that said, plenty for me to take personally in the first third or so. The excerpts about suicide were personally poignant, as someone who craves the grave

The abruptness of the last fourth or so really diminishes the elegance of the beginning introspections about the wolf and suicide, which to me aren't just personally enjoyable to read but are lush subjective observations. Still, I had fun! Probably not in a huge hurry to read more Hesse as I think this scratched some particular itches, but I'm happy to hear opinions to the contrary.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I gather mostly that I can get over my existential dread by watching Tik Tok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
This dinner with his professor friend is giving me social anxiety by proxy