Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

For sure. It's a numbers game and you shouldn't take rejection personally but it's still pretty goddamn frustrating at times, and even worse at other times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I have a really weird job question that I can't figure out how to google. Has anyone ever tried to negotiate a job offer into maybe including hiring, or bringing on a second specific person?

Like let's say Person A gets an offer for a job at a place Person B really wants a job at. Is there a way for Person A to negotiate an offer to be like "If you interview this person / hire them then I'll consider your offer more than others?"

I'm guessing no, and there isn't even a way to attempt to bring it up, which is why I wanted to ask strangers over doing something stupid, unless someone is like "actually that totally works, that's why nepotism was invented".

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Another negotiation question, how much of an increase from the offered wage is considered reasonable? I sent back a counter offer to one that amounts to a 32% increase the other day. Frankly, it was an insulting offer that I wouldn't have responded to if I wasn't actually a little interested in the position, so I don't feel bad that they've yet to respond.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

nomad2020 posted:

Another negotiation question, how much of an increase from the offered wage is considered reasonable? I sent back a counter offer to one that amounts to a 32% increase the other day. Frankly, it was an insulting offer that I wouldn't have responded to if I wasn't actually a little interested in the position, so I don't feel bad that they've yet to respond.

I think it's how you explain it. I'm in the middle of looking at some options (I like my current place, I'm just trying to see what's available). A lot of places can't pay anywhere near my current pay, but I work in a peculiar industry so I'm like "I make this much right now. I know that might be out of your range, but I'd at least like to talk through options, and what sort of packages you can put together. There's a lot I like about your company and product, I'm very interested, but I also have to balance that against my household needs with wages."

I've only had one place so far say "We can't get anywhere near what you already make, sorry, we're going to end the process." Most are willing to have the conversation.

edit:
vvv

ultrafilter posted:

Professors negotiate spousal hires sometimes but other than that I've never heard of it.

OK I'm not going to try. I figured it was a real weird thing, but it's a place that my partner and I both think is really cool, and when comparing options, that would push it over the edge of other options, if they hired both of us.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 18, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Chainclaw posted:

I have a really weird job question that I can't figure out how to google. Has anyone ever tried to negotiate a job offer into maybe including hiring, or bringing on a second specific person?

Like let's say Person A gets an offer for a job at a place Person B really wants a job at. Is there a way for Person A to negotiate an offer to be like "If you interview this person / hire them then I'll consider your offer more than others?"

I'm guessing no, and there isn't even a way to attempt to bring it up, which is why I wanted to ask strangers over doing something stupid, unless someone is like "actually that totally works, that's why nepotism was invented".

Professors negotiate spousal hires sometimes but other than that I've never heard of it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chainclaw posted:

This sounds like the kind of situation you'd find yourself in if they're looking to hire you for a Director+ level role and you want to bring the assistant who makes the good coffee with you. Otherwise I'm not sure you really have the clout to even bring it up.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

This sounds like the kind of situation you'd find yourself in if they're looking to hire you for a Director+ level role and you want to bring the assistant who makes the good coffee with you. Otherwise I'm not sure you really have the clout to even bring it up.

Yeah, not going to try, then.

That's too bad, because it's a company my partner would really want to work at, and I'm looking at out of several options. This would be the thing that would easily push me to pick this company over any other, which is why I wondered if there was a way to bring it up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I mean, if it isn't a role that's otherwise particularly interesting to you why not give it a shot and see what happens? If nothing else it'll be good posting content.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

I mean, if it isn't a role that's otherwise particularly interesting to you why not give it a shot and see what happens? If nothing else it'll be good posting content.

I didn't want to make a huge weird faux pas to get myself blacklisted.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd probably respond "they are welcome to apply or if you wait 3 months you can refer them which gives a shortcut to a phone screen at least" but I wouldn't blacklist or anything.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Chainclaw posted:

If you're saying "partner" as in "romantic partner" then it's increasing your risk to both be at the same company. Same general kind of work has some risk already, but you're putting yourself in the spot where you could easily both get laid off, company goes under, whatever. I wouldn't take it off the table but it's something to consider.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I applied to a major telecom company today and I saw a strange requirement I've never seen before:

They want me to record a video interview. Like they give me some questions on a form and I record myself answering them. This feels extremely strange and I would have thought it was a joke if they weren't such a big telecom company. Have any of you guys ever seen that before?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Umbreon posted:

I applied to a major telecom company today and I saw a strange requirement I've never seen before:

They want me to record a video interview. Like they give me some questions on a form and I record myself answering them. This feels extremely strange and I would have thought it was a joke if they weren't such a big telecom company. Have any of you guys ever seen that before?

It happens, but it usually means "we want a video interview but can't be actually bothered to take time out of our schedules to do one", and is a huge red flag.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Umbreon posted:

I did that some time ago when interviewing for a big financial company, mid 2010's or so? You could do it on a smartphone or tablet. I actually thought it was fine? :shrug: Don't think I've seen it since, but I also have applied to relatively few companies of that size.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Umbreon posted:

Delta does this for operational roles (crew, flight support), but when I interviewed for an IC for the corporate office I went straight to a live Zoom interview.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Chainclaw posted:

Yeah, not going to try, then.

That's too bad, because it's a company my partner would really want to work at, and I'm looking at out of several options. This would be the thing that would easily push me to pick this company over any other, which is why I wondered if there was a way to bring it up.
Are you married to this person?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Recorded interview: if it's related to the job somehow (like you need to be able to put together in person sound bites, like a media, communication, or higher end service role) that seems fine.

If not, that seems pretty lazy but it might just be a stupid hoop HR thought of and your actual job interviewers may also think it's dumb. I'd keep it in mind against other signs the place may be a joke, though.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

Are you married to this person?

Functionally yeah, but waiting for the pandemic to calm down enough to do the actual thing, so maybe in a few years if we’re lucky.

I get it it’s a bad idea, I just wanted to find out how bad of an idea it was. It would have been the easiest way to narrow down my options right now.

The thing that sucks about my industry is the pay, I have to decide how much of a pay cut I’m willing to take to change jobs, or if I want to leave my industry for a pay bump at a big evil company. Or just don’t change jobs, but I really am craving to be back in a more direct role in games.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Someone mentioned earlier about putting the wrong company on their cover letter. Every bit of wisdom I've read on the matter says that hiring-folk absolutely want to see a cover letter but also absolutely have no intention of ever reading them.

Chriswizard
May 6, 2007

Umbreon posted:

My partner just had this exact experience, except for a job with a major county government. We both agree that we hope that this does not become a trend, as it is is significantly harder and more time consuming than a traditional interview.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Sorry all if this is the wrong thread to ask. I looked and didn't see a job search one.

I'm retiring this summer from the Fed govt after 32 years. I haven't seriously applied for a job since 1999. I'm looking at both private sector and local govt jobs at the senior manager/director level.

Is there a "good" private sector job website that aggregates these job listings? I have a non-active LinkedIn account (which is my only social media account). All I've read are horror stories about using it for job hunting.

Again, my apologies if this isn't the right thread and thanks in advance.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Get your LinkedIn up to date and more active, that will be your best tool and even if you apply elsewhere people will go there and look at your profile regardless, so may as well spend the time making it look good. You probably don't want to look like the out of touch old guy.

There, or indeed works ok for some sectors.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Local government is posted on local city and county websites and the state stuff is probably on a state level website (calcareers.ca.gov as an example). Follow some agencies on LinkedIn and Twitter for job posting updates.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I'm good with the government postings, it's the private sector that I need to monitor.

Regarding LinkedIn, my profile is updated, but I don't have a pic because...reasons. Is it really used that much in recruiting? Thankfully I have some personal contacts in LA in where I'm interested in, just nothing closer to my home in OC.

Thanks again.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Chriswizard posted:

My partner just had this exact experience, except for a job with a major county government. We both agree that we hope that this does not become a trend, as it is is significantly harder and more time consuming than a traditional interview.
Yeah, this trend is garbage. To a good candidate, an interview is a two-way thing. Changing it to a one-way evaluation will cost them a portion of their best candidates.

If anyone has done this type of process from the hiring side of things, I’d really like to hear their perspective on this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Chainclaw posted:

Functionally yeah, but waiting for the pandemic to calm down enough to do the actual thing, so maybe in a few years if we’re lucky.

I get it it’s a bad idea, I just wanted to find out how bad of an idea it was. It would have been the easiest way to narrow down my options right now.

The thing that sucks about my industry is the pay, I have to decide how much of a pay cut I’m willing to take to change jobs, or if I want to leave my industry for a pay bump at a big evil company. Or just don’t change jobs, but I really am craving to be back in a more direct role in games.

Why do you want to work at the same company as your partner? Frankly if someone applied to a job at my firm and was like "oh I also want my partner to work here" it would give me some reservations about their judgement. There are many downsides and very few upsides.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Dik Hz posted:

To a good candidate, an interview is a two-way thing. Changing it to a one-way evaluation will cost them a portion of their best candidates.

I had one of these a couple of months ago, and you're exactly right.

The video interview was 10 questions, I didn't get the questions ahead of time, and I had a minute to answer each question. Luckily I was able to do multiple takes but that made things worse because it took me like 3 hours to get through all the questions. If it was a one on one interview it would have been infinitely easier.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TheWevel posted:

I had one of these a couple of months ago, and you're exactly right.

The video interview was 10 questions, I didn't get the questions ahead of time, and I had a minute to answer each question. Luckily I was able to do multiple takes but that made things worse because it took me like 3 hours to get through all the questions. If it was a one on one interview it would have been infinitely easier.

I kind of assume that this is so they can automatically process the results in some way to screen candidates but I don't know anything.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I kind of assume that this is so they can automatically process the results in some way to screen candidates but I don't know anything.

Indeed has been pushing video and audio screens for a while. Idk if they transcribe the answers but I’d bet they do. I’ve never tried them because it seems like a step too far in competing for good candidates and respecting their time.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why do you want to work at the same company as your partner? Frankly if someone applied to a job at my firm and was like "oh I also want my partner to work here" it would give me some reservations about their judgement. There are many downsides and very few upsides.

It's not a "I really want her to work at the place" and more "We can work together, and I'm in a position I've never been before where I'm looking at potentially several offers, so I'm looking at ways to narrow things down."

I'm looking to move back to game development jobs, which pay lower than traditional software development. If I'm going to take a pay cut, I'm trying to think of other incentives to get the companies to offer to try and make up some of that pay cut. We've been making use of my software salary to let her chase startups the last few years because we could afford to take the risk. As you'd imagine, most startups don't go anywhere, so my thought was, maybe an incentive to make an offer better would be to get her hired, too.

If we both get a job at a game development studio, the combined income for two people is just a little under non-game software income, so our household income would only go down a little bit instead of a lot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's because "Manager Time Is So Important We Can't Interview" which should be seen as a gigantic red flag. Like I said, if the job was a communications job where you had to do small sound bites it makes some sense, but outside that it really doesn't.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Eh, if it's a big company I don't think it's a big deal if your working in different orgs. You'd get to carpool to the office, eat lunch together, be able to have some context in what each other do for a quarter of your life. I've never worked with a partner but when I was working at a bigger company I knew people who did and it seemed mostly positive. Obv you have the risk of putting eggs in a basket but it's not like working at different company's negates the risk.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Regarding LinkedIn, my profile is updated, but I don't have a pic because...reasons. Is it really used that much in recruiting? Thankfully I have some personal contacts in LA in where I'm interested in, just nothing closer to my home in OC.

Updated and keep active. You can dodge a picture but put up something in it's stead. A "Open to Work" avatar or something. You want it to be engaging.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Chainclaw posted:

I'm looking to move back to game development jobs, which pay lower than traditional software development. If I'm going to take a pay cut, I'm trying to think of other incentives to get the companies to offer to try and make up some of that pay cut. We've been making use of my software salary to let her chase startups the last few years because we could afford to take the risk. As you'd imagine, most startups don't go anywhere, so my thought was, maybe an incentive to make an offer better would be to get her hired, too.

If we both get a job at a game development studio, the combined income for two people is just a little under non-game software income, so our household income would only go down a little bit instead of a lot.

isn't game dev notoriously high risk which would kind of amplify

Lockback posted:

e. Obv you have the risk of putting eggs in a basket but it's not like working at different company's negates the risk.

I mean do you but it seems like there's not a ton of upside.

Lockback posted:

Eh, if it's a big company I don't think it's a big deal if your working in different orgs. You'd get to carpool to the office, eat lunch together, be able to have some context in what each other do for a quarter of your life. I've never worked with a partner but when I was working at a bigger company I knew people who did and it seemed mostly positive. Obv you have the risk of putting eggs in a basket but it's not like working at different company's negates the risk.

Maybe at a big enough company, but at that scale you're probably not going to be effective in putting forth "I'll sign if you hire my spouse" demands.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh, I should note that this was for an SVP level technical position.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TheWevel posted:

Oh, I should note that this was for an SVP level technical position.

lmao run

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Maybe I’m terribly old fashioned, but I’d have some side-eye for someone asking me to hire their partner who they can’t even commit to marriage with.

I know I’ll catch some what for that opinion, but whatever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

Maybe I’m terribly old fashioned, but I’d have some side-eye for someone asking me to hire their partner who they can’t even commit to marriage with.

I had a similar thought but it was mostly like "if you are dumb enough to want to work with your partner in a ~40 person division of a 150 person consulting firm it is not giving me a great sense of confidence regarding your judgement in client-facing matters"

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

:lol:

Yeah it was definitely a "wtf is happening here" moment. I thought about withdrawing but decided I might as well try it and see what happened. I... did not get the job.

edit: It was worse than the 8 hours of Amazon interviews I had for a job I didn't even want

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 20, 2023

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

isn't game dev notoriously high risk which would kind of amplify

Yeah, but my hope is to leave my current place on good terms so I can go back if things turn sideways. This also impacts the size of my emergency account, a higher risk job = a much larger emergency fund.

I'd also say that traditional software is high risk right now, because the stock market's not looking great, everyone's doing massive layoffs to try and make things look better. So a MANGA job isn't as secure now as it was 5 years ago, all jobs are pretty high risk right now due to panic around layoffs and economy.

Dik Hz posted:

There are many reason to not marry. Things like, an ongoing pandemic for several years that stomped right over any planned dates someone might have had for marriage.

Also I've already said I'm not going to bring this up in any negotiation after the first reply. I was pretty sure it wasn't a great idea but not totally sure, and I was just trying to think of other ways to make offers more compelling.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you seem to really want to do this for reasons I don't understand so go with God I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Maybe at a big enough company, but at that scale you're probably not going to be effective in putting forth "I'll sign if you hire my spouse" demands.

Yeah thats fair, which is why if I were hiring I'd just be like "Refer them after a month", but in some fairness being a large company doesn't mean there isn't broken nepotism hiring going on all over the place.