Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Blech, March update hosed with the DPI on the Pixel 7 Pro which made the icon spacing in folders ludicrously high and made it so you have to have the weather widget be 5 spaces wide to get the future forecast. What the hell Google.

On the Pixel 7 it's fine still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Spoon
Sep 20, 2012
Currently waffling on getting a new "flagship" phone on a budget of about $600-700 since I want something that'll last as long as possible. Every review site I've checked up on has recommended either a Pixel 7/P7P or the OnePlus 11, and I thought here would be a good place to ask for a few pros and cons of both before I make an investment that big. Any threads I read on something like Reddit are, as you might expect, nosepicking and/or arguments, which is why I come here.

Notes to help influence suggestions:

- I have two phones currently, an old S20 FE as my daily driver and a Pixel 4a with LineageOS as a backup in case it breaks. Both are cased and screen protected and I always add one of each to any new phone.

- This is a big purchase for me if I make it, so I need to make sure I get something that'll work for awhile, either through a custom OS or long-term updates.

- I have epilepsy and cardiac issues and my cellphone is possibly my lifeline, so I need to also be sure it is at least somewhat durable/has a good battery life.

- I'm often just cruising around town, not going on major hikes with it or anything where cell reception would be super weak.

- I do some medium-tier gaming on it, things like medium-settings gaming, GBA/N64-level emulation, but not "I demand Genshin Impact at 60 FPS" levels.

- Things I do need to have are at least 90Hz screen (it keeps me from getting some mondo eyestrain) and long-term support. Lower tier is a camera that can correct for my loving terrible shaky hands and wireless charging.

I'm leaning towards the Pixel 7 based on all this, but would the 11 be a better choice? Should I throw out both and look for a different phone that flies lower on specs? Any guidance I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Runcible Spoon posted:

Currently waffling on getting a new "flagship" phone on a budget of about $600-700 since I want something that'll last as long as possible.

I currently have a OnePlus 11 and a Pixel 7 Pro, so does bull3964 I believe, and honestly I would probably lean more towards Pixel 7.

The OnePlus trounces the Pixel in speed and reliability of the fingerprint scanner (in my opinion; but we're talking fractions of a second here and maybe 99% success rate vs 97%). It will also outlast either Pixel in terms of battery life from my experience by a noticeable amount. I even think the OnePlus is a more solid feeling device in hand.

Pixel has the superior camera in a noticeable number of areas, superior software support, a lot of handy Pixel exclusive features, and at least in terms of the 7 Pro, a nicer looking display. The OnePlus 11 display is not bad by any means, but it can't reach the brightness of the P7P and misses out on things like HDR support in YouTube. The Pixel also seems more likely to utilize its high refresh rate in a lot of apps where sometimes I notice the OnePlus locking itself down to 60hz in some.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

bull3964 posted:

Blech, March update hosed with the DPI on the Pixel 7 Pro which made the icon spacing in folders ludicrously high and made it so you have to have the weather widget be 5 spaces wide to get the future forecast. What the hell Google.

On the Pixel 7 it's fine still.

Seems to have increased the spacing between apps in home screen folders on my regular Pixel 7 too, much to my annoyance. I only place a few folders on the bottom half of my screen so that the folder and it's contents are easily accessible with just my thumbs. But with this new spacing the folder contents balloon out to almost the very top of the screen making that strategy now completely useless, for no apparent reason, thanks Google.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

After the update I feel like my P7Pro has improved scrolling inertia/momentum. Like flicking through apps like the Awful app, Twitter, or the Google feed has been improved. Not sure if it's some kind of initial placebo effect, but my thumb feels less tired.

Runcible Spoon
Sep 20, 2012

Mental Hospitality posted:

I currently have a OnePlus 11 and a Pixel 7 Pro, so does bull3964 I believe, and honestly I would probably lean more towards Pixel 7.

The OnePlus trounces the Pixel in speed and reliability of the fingerprint scanner (in my opinion; but we're talking fractions of a second here and maybe 99% success rate vs 97%). It will also outlast either Pixel in terms of battery life from my experience by a noticeable amount. I even think the OnePlus is a more solid feeling device in hand.

Pixel has the superior camera in a noticeable number of areas, superior software support, a lot of handy Pixel exclusive features, and at least in terms of the 7 Pro, a nicer looking display. The OnePlus 11 display is not bad by any means, but it can't reach the brightness of the P7P and misses out on things like HDR support in YouTube. The Pixel also seems more likely to utilize its high refresh rate in a lot of apps where sometimes I notice the OnePlus locking itself down to 60hz in some.

Yeah, after looking things up about both phones, while the OP11 does manage to beat it technically in specs, the Pixel 7 is still a big jump over the S20 FE in other regards. I'll lose my microSD card slot, but I can also get $200 off by trading in my 4a, so that pays for the 256 GB upgrade on its own. Funny how that works out.

I'd just have to decide between the base model, or saving up more for the Pro, since I'm a bit :catstare: about pro Pixels after the P6P was such a loving garbage fire of software bugs and glitchiness.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I went from 6 Pro to base 7 and I honestly like it more. The smaller size makes it easier to do one handed browsing, I personally didn't like the curved screen with a case at all (became a collector of dust and lint) and the lower refresh rate has turned out to actually give me a little more battery life. It's an interesting trade off.

YMMV of course, but I really dig the base 7. I have no regrets downsizing.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'm pretty darn impressed by the battery life on the Oppo Find N2. I'd assumed that the big screen would suck up a shitton of juice and when paired with the good-not-great 8+ Gen 1 that it wouldn't be as good as it has been. Today was my first normal-ish day of phone use since getting it, and the thing's still got 41% with 7h50m of SOT and 1d8h since last charge (and I only did it up to 90% as I'm babying the battery). This is if I had to guess something like 70/30 small screen/big screen. No games, though. Just calendar / camera / socials / Yt / some backing up to cloud, etc. and on wifi most of the day with spurts of 5g. Happy that battery life isn't going to be a concern... yet.

The "Supervooc" fast charging (67w) really heats the phone up (more than gaming does) and I'm thinking to just save that for emergency top-ups and use a normal 25w charger.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 14, 2023

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Being able to change the Lockscreen shortcut from wallet to something useful wasn't part of the new update by any chance, was it?

EDIT: it was part of one of the previews but I guess just didnt make it in: https://twitter.com/MishaalRahman/status/1620926942630354944

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 14, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Someone mention device comparisons?

Yeah, I have the OnePlus 11 and the Pixel 7 Pro. I also have the Pixel 7 as well. Note, I never intended to get a Pixel 7, but I couldn't pass up on a Best Buy trade in deal for my Pixel 6 Pro that had a tiny to almost invisible underscreen spiderweb at one of the corners that I picked up 2nd week into ownership. It technically made it have a "cracked" screen that would have made getting rid of it a pain, but then best buy had a huge deal on trade in even with damaged phones so I made the swap for like $100.

Funny enough, I swapped my sim into the OnePlus 11 on Sunday afternoon for shits and giggles.

First and foremost, the battery life of this and the S23U cannot be overstated. I charged the OP11 to full on Sunday evening. I used it the rest of that evening, all day Monday, and this morning I put it on the charger while I took a shower. It was at 30% with about 3hr 45 minutes screen on time and it had been off the charger for about 40 hours. Of course, it was fully charged by the time I came out of the shower. I probably won't have to charge it again until Weds afternoon sometime.

It's a very fast phone and it feels a bit more compact in the hand than the Pixel 7 Pro even though they are both 6.7" screens because the OP11 is a taller aspect ratio (but slimmer bezels mean it's not actually a taller phone. As a piece of hardware, the device is really nice.

I haven't given the cameras a ton of use yet obviously, but from all the impressions I've gotten from reviews it's that the they are good, but not great. In daylight they should be able to hang with the top ones and will probably have slightly more true to life colors, but the shots can be a bit more inconsistent. It can be a fun camera to use though. Unlike the phones with larger sensors (like the S23U and Pixel 7/7P), it's pretty useless in low light unless you use night mode. Night mode is pretty good though, it's just a step behind the others. The IMX890 is shaping up to be a pretty nice sensor. The Ultra Wide is pretty good though and probably a better implementation than any of the current flagships out there. It's a IMX581 and it's well tuned to match the main and has about the same capabilities as the main camera with just being a touch less low light capable.

The telephoto is weird. It's on equal footing of the rest of the cameras in capability, but being a 2x it's primarily for portrait photos. That's a choice, not one I necessarily agree with, but at least it's not a useless macro camera. There was a hot minute last year where a bunch of bloggers were bemoaning the focal lengths used in portrait photos and how they would much rather have a dedicated portrait lens than a telephoto and I guess this was the result. I don't see that much utility in the obsession over portrait photos in an "in the moment" camera role that smartphones fill. More often than not you are going to want context to your photos. "Here's a photo of my loved one. You can't tell due to the buttery blur, but we're standing in front of the Louvre! Neat huh?"

I still have a lot of nits to pick with OxygenOS 13 and that's probably what's going to keep my time with the OnePlus 11 on the more brief side. The Device Controls quick tile just flat out doesn't work. It never populates a list of home controls to add. It's been like this since I think my OP9P got updated to OxygenOS 12 so I don't hold out much hope of it being fixed anytime soon. I can workaround it by creating a shortcut to my lock from the nest app on my home screen or using the Home app from my watch, but I don't like having flat out broken functionality on my phone. It makes the whole device feel unfinished. Notification handling is also not great. MKBHD touched on ths. If you want to dismiss a notification with one swipe, you can only do it coming in from the left. If you come in from the right you have to swpie twice due to it hard stopping after showing snooze options and such. I'm also finding an annoying quirk where it won't bring you into the app for some notifications unless you expand them (which you can only do from tapping and not swiping). This true even if it's a single notification. I don't like having to touch Google Chat notifications twice to get into Chat. This doesn't appear consistent so I'm not sure what's going on there. Also on the software side, I encountered the dreaded Doordash delivery tracking bringing the phone to a standstill on Android 13 bug on this device even though I never encountered it on my Pixel. This isn't oneplus exclusive though as there are reports across a broad range of devices.

Other notes. The radius of the screen corners are too gradual which leads to tight spacing or even occasionally truncation on screen elements pushed to the edge. The alert slider remains the best thing since sliced bread and all devices should have it. OnePlus also has the best OEM cases on the market and their Aramid fiber bumper case is the bees knees. They committed to a good update term, better than google actually for OS updates, but the security patches only come every two months. Haptics are probably the best on Android. The selfie camera is apparently not great, but I don't take selfies so it's not something I really thought about.

Compared to the Pixel 7 Pro. This is a tough one. The P7P battery is adequate but not outstanding and that's probably the biggest weakness here other than gaming. The P7P may feel a touch slower doing some stuff, but for the most part it keeps up with the fluidity of the OP11 and even feels better in some spots due to a better thought out UI. I find the camera system of the P7P just one of the best all around ones. It doesn't have the reach of the S23U or the extreme detail of the 200mp mode (in good light only), but the 5x is arguably a more usable focal length for a telephoto under most circumstances and it has allowed google to put a better sensor behind it (and it's a lot more useful than the 2x on the OP11). Google and Apple remain the top dog for capturing fast motion as both OnePlus and Samsung lag here (pun intended).

The P7P obviously charges a lot slower and can only get to 50% (from 0) in the time it takes for the OP11 to go to full. So you are pretty much in the normal nightly charging cycle for the phone which is fine, just not notable. You DO get faster charging on the P7P on normal PD chargers as the OP11 tops out at 18w on chargers that aren't SuperVooc. That could be a consideration if you are worried about dragging the one fast charger you have around everywhere. The P7P also has wireless charging which can be nice for on and off top-ups throughout the day. The Pixel is loaded with useful features like Call Screening and Wait for Me which I use quite frequently. The Pixel is also a first party device on all carriers so you are less likely to run into weird edge case stuff (like Visual Voice Mail in the dialer not working on the OP11 on T-Mobile while it works fine on the Pixel.)

Pretty much everything I've said for the P7P can be said for the P7. The notable differences are the lack of telephoto, the less capable ultrawide (no autofocus so no macro mode and a smaller FOV) and 90hz instead of 120hz. The smaller, lower resolution screen I think is a wash with the smaller battery, bringing it in line with the P7P on battery life on average. Most tests put it slightly behind, but the synthetic tests I think put too much of a weight on pure battery size against all other considerations. I haven't actually used the normal 7 much at this point so I can't really say for sure on battery life. It may come up in the rotation soon as I find the size refreshing.

So, I would say the weakest part of the 7 and 7P are the battery but they aren't BAD by any stretch. They just aren't able to match the rest of the newly released flagships (for example, the P7P was perfectly capable of going toe to toe with the S22U on the battery front, the S23U and OP11 ups the ante due to more advanced components.)

The OP11 is in a category where I wouldn't have any hesitation recommending it to someone else, but I'm not sure its something that I would be fully happy settling into given that I'm not budget constrained. For $699 though, it's a very good value for the overall package. I do think the Pixel 7 is slightly better value, especially when on sale. The launch of the 7a is also something to watch very closely in this space. It looks like it may be very close to the 7 in overall features, but at a lower price since this year it's rumored to have a 90hz screen and wireless charging (even if capped at 5w). It's unlikely to have the same main large sensor as the P7P and P7, but no matter what they put in there you can bet it will be well optimized and turn out good photos.

PERSONALLY, if I were in this situation with a budget cap of $600-$700 range and I didn't need the most cutting edge camera system, I would wait another two months if I could to see what was up with the 7a as that's looking to be a great option at an even lower pricepoint. Otherwise I would wait for a sale on the Pixel 7. The OP11 is not a bad buy at all and could be preferred to someone who is going to be a heavy device user and/or gaming.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 14, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Random question, but I remember someone mentioned earlier that a OnePlus phone prompts you for your password every 72 hours so you don't forget it. My 9P does too.

Am I misremembering, but I thought basically all Android phones do something like this ... the difference is the OnePlus just actually gives you a message explaining why? I do remember having to put my password in on older different brand phones anyway, usually at really inconvenient times.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

teethgrinder posted:

Random question, but I remember someone mentioned earlier that a OnePlus phone prompts you for your password every 72 hours so you don't forget it. My 9P does too.

Am I misremembering, but I thought basically all Android phones do something like this ... the difference is the OnePlus just actually gives you a message explaining why? I do remember having to put my password in on older different brand phones anyway, usually at really inconvenient times.

My S23 hasn't in its current 156 hour uptime.

e: unless it counts me having to enter my PIN in yesterday at the gym when the fingerprint reader decided it didn't like my smooshed fingerprint for that purpose

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Someone mention device comparisons?...

This was a spot-on post my guy; better than a lot of phone reviews you can find on the internet.

I will also say that despite retraining the fingerprint sensor on my Pixel 7P, I just can't get it to the level of the OnePlus 11. Still getting 1 or 2 read failures every day where the OnePlus might have missed an unlock twice in a week. It just feels way more reliable, almost close to old-school capacitive levels of good. Besides the amazing battery life, it's a standout quality of the device IMO.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

My S23 hasn't in its current 156 hour uptime.

e: unless it counts me having to enter my PIN in yesterday at the gym when the fingerprint reader decided it didn't like my smooshed fingerprint for that purpose

Go to Settings -> Security and Privacy-> Biometrics-> About unlocking with biometrics.

Samsung states that PIN is required every 24 hours with face unlock and 72 hours with fingerprints. Yes, any entering of the PIN for any context resets the timer.

Mental Hospitality posted:

This was a spot-on post my guy; better than a lot of phone reviews you can find on the internet.

I will also say that despite retraining the fingerprint sensor on my Pixel 7P, I just can't get it to the level of the OnePlus 11. Still getting 1 or 2 read failures every day where the OnePlus might have missed an unlock twice in a week. It just feels way more reliable, almost close to old-school capacitive levels of good. Besides the amazing battery life, it's a standout quality of the device IMO.

They are pretty much the same for me with the S23U being worse.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

bull3964 posted:

Go to Settings -> Security and Privacy-> Biometrics-> About unlocking with biometrics.

Samsung states that PIN is required every 24 hours with face unlock and 72 hours with fingerprints. Yes, any entering of the PIN for any context resets the timer.

Huh! Well at least it counts misread corrections instead of adding more instances of PIN use.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I think the core timers for the PIN is baked into android at a low level and is the same across all manufacturers.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

teethgrinder posted:

I've had to enter the pin on an android 8 moto since forever without the explanation. I'm seeing the explanation on an "android 12" xiaomi phone. Probably both features originate in android proper, the explanation is just a way more recent addition.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

here we goooooooooooo

https://www.androidpolice.com/google-pixel-8-pro-renders-first-look-b

quote:

The two biggest changes you'll notice right away are that the curved screen has been replaced by a flat front panel, and the three-camera array is now housed in a single pill instead of having the telephoto lens separated in its own cutout.

Based on a leaked version of Google's camera app, the Pixel 8 Pro should be capable of shooting in staggered HDR, where a long and short exposure are captured simultaneously instead of in quick succession. We also have reason to suspect the 8 Pro's fingerprint scanner will be upgraded from an optical sensor to an ultrasonic one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really really hope they aren't going ultrasonic.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I really really hope they aren't going ultrasonic.

Considering the flack the fingerprint scanner caught on the 7/7 Pro (reddit is rabid about it), it's expected they're going to change it up for the 8.

To be clear, I had zero issues and think reddit is insane, as per usual. But it got a lot of hate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's just that it's going to make biometrics basically very unreliable for me and switching to ultrasonic is no guarantee that those people's complaints are going to be satisfied. I also expect a whole other equally large host of people to have trouble as well so just trading one for the other.

I'm glaring at my S23U that locked me out of biometrics for having the audacity to wash dishes an hour ago.

Anyways, the only supplier of ultrasonic sensors is qualcomm and I would really wonder about Google turning to them as a supplier for this when they spurned them for chipsets and modems.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if i were google i would simply figure out how to make the optical sensors perform like they do in literally every other manufacturers devices

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For me, that's been the case since the first Pixel 6 Pro update :shrug:.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I have no issues with the P7 fingerprint reader.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sigh, so many of the places that have looked at these renders have gone "OMG additional sensor of some kind" completely missing the fact that it's likely just the spectral/flicker sensor that's between the wide and ultrawide on the current models relocated to under the flash.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
What do we think is the reason for the relatively poor battery life on the Pixel 7? The Tensor stuff or the radios or what?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Even renders cannot escape the tyranny of finger grease.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What do we think is the reason for the relatively poor battery life on the Pixel 7? The Tensor stuff or the radios or what?

I wouldn't call it poor.

And it's the screen and the 5nm Samsung fab process.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the pixel fold and 7a also leaked

https://www.androidpolice.com/pixel-fold-pixel-7a-june-release-window-leak-b/

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 15, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

I wouldn't call it poor.

And it's the screen and the 5nm Samsung fab process.

Poor for me. I got 2h 45m screen time today, came off charge at 0800, when I got home at around 2200 it was down to 20%. I might reset it to clear the cobwebs.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Will be interesting to see whether going with a horizontal orientation for the Pixel Fold was the right move. Feel like you'd be rotating 90 degrees way too often to go into a portait orientation (or perhaps the wider front screen will mitigate that and most of the main screen usage will be multi-windows and media).

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
After the latest update, how can I tell if I have an additional eSIM slot? If I go to About Phone on my P7P it shows me "sim slot 1" and "sim slot 2". One is for the physical SIM, and one is for eSIM, I'm assuming. Shouldn't there be a third one now?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Poor for me. I got 2h 45m screen time today, came off charge at 0800, when I got home at around 2200 it was down to 20%. I might reset it to clear the cobwebs.

Weird, I routinely do about 3-4 hr SoT in a day and end the day around 40%.

Weaponized Autism posted:

After the latest update, how can I tell if I have an additional eSIM slot? If I go to About Phone on my P7P it shows me "sim slot 1" and "sim slot 2". One is for the physical SIM, and one is for eSIM, I'm assuming. Shouldn't there be a third one now?

No, it's still only two SIMs total.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I've never had a serious issue with any fingerprint reader until the pixel 7. It's honestly 50/50 if it works. Seems like it depends on your fingers but a lot of people have issues with it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mine works great, you all have hosed up fingers, we decided this a long time ago

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The face unlock is pretty good on the 7. Is no one using that?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Kirios posted:

The face unlock is pretty good on the 7. Is no one using that?

It complains about my sunglasses a lot.
I feel like Android 13 limiting the fingers to 4 prints instead of 6 is part to blame. I used to double up on my finger prints and had no issue. It's no longer possible.
Also not sure if I can keep fine tuning face detect for glasses/no glasses. I swap between contacts/sunnie's, glasses/Rx Sunnie's a lot.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
My P7 seems to only have issues with my right thumb, and if my hands are/have been wet for a while. My P3XL sensor was better, but I also only had my index fingers scanned for that (and multiple times each, obviously not an option on the 7).

I feel like it might be better if I just scanned both thumbs in twice, but then I'd have to lose my index finger prints, and those are way more convenient if it's sitting on my desk.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Honestly, biggest thing to me is the flat screen on the pro. I don't mind the curved edges, but given the choice would take flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I scanned both thumbs once when I setup my pixel in October and haven't touched them since.

I have to redo my fingerprints on Samsung ultrasonic devices every week or so.