Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

wyoak posted:

There was a cool Golf Digest story about Bubba Watson playing a standard muni, he shot a 62 and it sounded like he wasn’t really on

Tour pros are basically putting or chipping for eagle on every hole that isn't a par-3, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
yeah, there was the Steve Marino (he was really good on tour for six months!) one in like 2007. He crushed the snot out of every drive but always ended up with some awful lie plus the greens were slow and bumpy as hell.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/939962-pga-pro-challenged-to-play-a-true-muni-course/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/01/AR2007070101221_2.html?sid=ST2009071701245

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

mdemone posted:

One time I hit a cow in the pasture across the street.

A Tradition like No Other.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Now that's what I'm talking about. Bury a ball halfway down into the mud in a swamp right next to the green, see how those SOBs deal with life in the real world

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

not for nothing but I'd imagine a ton of them grew up playing in those lovely conditions and considering how some of them can still get into miserable conditions they'd be able to save themselves out of it easily enough

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
First round of the season booked for Saturday. I'm loving pumped.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

First round of the season booked for Saturday. I'm loving pumped.

I booked my first lesson for the season next month and am equally excited, will definitely get a couple rounds in before then though hopefully.

What’s everyone’s favorite golf app, free or paid? I don’t mind paying for something because I intend on taking it a little more seriously this year and would like some tracking capabilities and such. I had The Grint but I accidentally skipped the tutorial thing and can’t find it again, so I don’t really know how a lot of that one works currently. I also have 18Birdies but the shot tracker is weird and dumb and I can’t figure out how it works, and is also missing more than one club I use, so I’m not sure I want to pay for the premium version.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

T-Square posted:

I booked my first lesson for the season next month and am equally excited, will definitely get a couple rounds in before then though hopefully.

What’s everyone’s favorite golf app, free or paid? I don’t mind paying for something because I intend on taking it a little more seriously this year and would like some tracking capabilities and such. I had The Grint but I accidentally skipped the tutorial thing and can’t find it again, so I don’t really know how a lot of that one works currently. I also have 18Birdies but the shot tracker is weird and dumb and I can’t figure out how it works, and is also missing more than one club I use, so I’m not sure I want to pay for the premium version.

I use GolfShot. It tracks my handicap, will give me GPS on my apple watch, club distance tracking, blah blah. Everything that most apps do nowadays. I've just been using it for so long I don't feel like switching.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

mattfl posted:

I use GolfShot. It tracks my handicap, will give me GPS on my apple watch, club distance tracking, blah blah. Everything that most apps do nowadays. I've just been using it for so long I don't feel like switching.

Same. I bought the lifetime Pro upgrade years ago when it was like $20 and have never had to pay another dime, so that's kept me from switching to something else that wants a monthly/yearly fee. The GPS and stat/club tracking stuff works great.

Biggest issue with GolfShot though is that a lot of other apps seem to be adding in green maps and GS hasn't and doesn't seem to be on track to do it (could be wrong there).

I paid $40 or whatever it is for a year's worth of full access to the GHIN app's GPS and course maps just to try it out and the green heat maps and putting lines are really nice, especially on courses you're not familiar with. And it's tournament legal. The stat/club tracking compared to GolfShot is a bit lacking.

The biggest issue with the GHIN app is that once you finish a round, you have no option other than to post the score to GHIN or to delete the round entirely. Virtually all of my golf is tournament/club golf and those scores get posted for me automatically, so finishing a round in the GHIN app just double-posts my score for that day, or I have to delete the round and lose all of the stats. It's pretty stupid.

Golf Logix is the other app that everyone I know who doesn't use GolfShot seems to be using these days. I did the beta way back in the day and didn't like it as much as GolfShot, but it does seem to have advanced a lot further than GS has in the last few years. No idea what it costs, but it's the one I'd look into if I were starting now.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My buddy talked me into playing tomorrow. I did a quick check of the forecast which said 52 degrees. I said sure. Unfortunately that won’t be until 2pm and we are playing at 9, at which point it will be a balmy 32 degrees. Lol

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

mattfl posted:

I bought it for like 30 bucks about a decade ago and was grandfathered in permanently so far :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

I bought it for like 30 bucks about a decade ago and was grandfathered in permanently so far :)

Yup same lol

Another reason I hesitate to switch.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RCarr posted:

My buddy talked me into playing tomorrow. I did a quick check of the forecast which said 52 degrees. I said sure. Unfortunately that won’t be until 2pm and we are playing at 9, at which point it will be a balmy 32 degrees. Lol

My kinda golf.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

torgeaux posted:

My kinda golf.

Historically I’ve always played my best in lovely conditions like that. Enjoying myself is a different story though.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

RCarr posted:

Nothing feels better than the nap and a coffee after a cold round. Couch time.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RCarr posted:

Historically I’ve always played my best in lovely conditions like that. Enjoying myself is a different story though.

Me, too. Something about being bundled up and aware of the restricted range of motion let's me nail lots of fairways and greens.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'm kind of surprised that they just didn't make a rule that said pros can't tee the ball up higher than a certain amount for certain clubs and call it a day.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I'm not in on this "pros should suffer!! Pro golf should be miserable!!!" mindset at all tbh. If they can send it 400 yards let em

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I hate this idea, because imo a huge appeal of golf is that any player could hit a pro-caliber shot at any moment, even if their handicap is like 50 or whatever. If you don't buy the restricted balls (and probably put yourself at a disadvantage in your foursome or whatever) and then you lace a drive and then stick the approach 2 feet from the pin? You're going to know in the back of your mind that you're playing with a juiced ball

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Rogue Elephant posted:

I hate this idea, because imo a huge appeal of golf is that any player could hit a pro-caliber shot at any moment, even if their handicap is like 50 or whatever. If you don't buy the restricted balls (and probably put yourself at a disadvantage in your foursome or whatever) and then you lace a drive and then stick the approach 2 feet from the pin? You're going to know in the back of your mind that you're playing with a juiced ball
thats why i play with top flites

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I listened to the USGA chairman/comish or whatever on the NLU pod and while he was a very well spoken guy and gave a good interview his actual points were extremely bad.

He makes an aggressive point that swing speeds are only going to get faster and faster as we see further improvements to training and youth programs, but then makes no effort to acknowledge that this effectively means you're going to be rolling back ball technology forever, until the pros are hitting pebbles with balsa wood golf clubs.

He also stresses the point that the pros "don't play with the same equipment you do" but I can't find any evidence of this anywhere, at least as it pertains to golf balls.

It was like the "global warming" solution from Futurama. Our handsomest USGA rule officials simply decided to limit the flight of the golf ball - of course, as swing speeds increase, they have to go back and limit it further, and further. Thus solving the distance problem once and for all!

The whole thing stinks of some big names getting offended that people can drive the par 4s at TPC, and god forbid the layout of the course change to actually be different and harder instead of just "longer".

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

abigserve posted:

I listened to the USGA chairman/comish or whatever on the NLU pod and while he was a very well spoken guy and gave a good interview his actual points were extremely bad.

He makes an aggressive point that swing speeds are only going to get faster and faster as we see further improvements to training and youth programs, but then makes no effort to acknowledge that this effectively means you're going to be rolling back ball technology forever, until the pros are hitting pebbles with balsa wood golf clubs.

He also stresses the point that the pros "don't play with the same equipment you do" but I can't find any evidence of this anywhere, at least as it pertains to golf balls.

It was like the "global warming" solution from Futurama. Our handsomest USGA rule officials simply decided to limit the flight of the golf ball - of course, as swing speeds increase, they have to go back and limit it further, and further. Thus solving the distance problem once and for all!

The whole thing stinks of some big names getting offended that people can drive the par 4s at TPC, and god forbid the layout of the course change to actually be different and harder instead of just "longer".

Pros do play balls not the same as amateurs, to a degree. Not just the pro V1 left dash and right asterisk, but small variants. Notably, Mickelson's chrome soft were reportedly a lot higher compression.

On clubs, of course, theirs are tuned to a ridiculous degree.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I wasn't around for the square groove rule change and obviously it wasn't a bifurcation, but how was that received at the time?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Chromatics posted:

I wasn't around for the square groove rule change and obviously it wasn't a bifurcation, but how was that received at the time?

Eh. Mickelson kept his old Ping eye 2 wedge with square grooves and that kept it in the media for a short while. Nothing else, really.

It had a practical bifurcation. Lots of players kept playing nonconforming clubs. I did. I played my pings for another year, then my ping wedge for another year after that.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 16, 2023

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
the whole "we're playing the same game as PGA Tour pros!" is a really bad take because we're not

Normal people can't even get on most of the courses they play, the ones that are publicly accessible are insanely expensive, and even if you do get on you're probably not playing from the same boxes and definitely not playing on the same setup, and this is ignoring the whole tournament mental aspect thing. We don't have our drivers periodically tested to see if they've gone non-conforming and when we order a 9.5 degree driver it doesn't have anywhere near the build tolerances that pro clubs do.

Tiger had a pretty good quote a couple of years ago talking about requiring limited-flight balls for pros across the board, so once you go pro you have to play a limited flight ball. Seems logical to me. Could potentially make for some interesting results in mixed field events too.

And yes, limiting flight in this way might just be buying time, but buying time is important - it takes a ton of time and planning to build new courses or expand existing ones. It also would allow for gradual decreases, if those become necessary. The first change would be the only really 'painful' one.

Also - the defenses that are normally brought up against players getting too long (narrower fairways, really long rough, extremely fast greens) all make distance off the tee even more important. I think we're gonna see some pretty impressive increases in clubhead speed from young players in the next 10 years - strokes gained has quantified how important distance is, and the proliferation of launch monitors and training programs specifically for speed means that juniors are training in ways that guys on tour now weren't (or weren't when they were young anyway).

wyoak fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 16, 2023

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I think the last straw was how everyone and their mom were making an absolute mockery of St. Andrews last year with driving the ball.

nerox
May 20, 2001
They should go back to having a tee box, a literal box of sand in which you must construct your tee out of said sand on every hole.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Dr. Capco posted:

I think the last straw was how everyone and their mom were making an absolute mockery of St. Andrews last year with driving the ball.

I think you fix this by targeting their landing zones with new 4 foot deep pot bunkers

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Open can take place any week in July or August, you have to be ready for The R&A to make the call... bring your waterproofs

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I got my g425 irons and love them. Setting up at address is a little strange because the blade length is a lot longer than my older tour-style TA3s that I was not nearly good enough for. But even off center contact feels great, and the fitting of an upright lie has been helping. Looking forward to dialing them in.

Not sure yet how I feel about the longer shaft lengths. These are +1" and I'm pretty tall, but it's hard to get used to. I may experiment with choking down a half inch or so.

Also I tried a g425 hybrid and god drat those are magical. I hit the 3H straighter than my long irons or fairway woods, and probably about as far as the 5 wood I have. Picked that up and will try to resist spending more right away on the 4H (and 2H, and so on...)

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

:siren: Had my first good round at my new club :siren:
I shot a 89(net +3) today with 25-30 knots in my face for the entire front 9 and just as hot crosswinds on the back. I spent about two hours practicing today then walked 18 carrying in that. When I can stay in my new swing, I'm hitting some eye popping shots.

This is a pretty accurate account of my home club. The first 5 holes are just murder. They had the pins set to gently caress you as well.

Started off with a birdie on the first hole which has one of the most evil sloping elevated greens, usually with the wind in your face. Landed pin high on the left fringe with an 8 iron into the wind +25 feet of elevation from 135 away. The green slopes so hard back towards the right bunker it rolled all the way over to 24" from about 25 feet.

I was two over after #4 before the green bent me over on 5. I faded pretty bad towards the end, but I don't care when I birdied 18 from a bare rear end hard pan lie off the right of the fairway 80 yards into 20 knots. Caught a 50 degree perfect into that wind and nailed it two feet with witnesses :D Older fellow member watched it from his car when I was looking over the bare lie I had. He rolled the window down and said " That was a hell of a birdie man! " Felt good :)

I got some video that I stitched together from 12 and 15 where I was able to keep it down yesterday. I'm finally starting to get a feel for where to line up, but I've been addressing my irons like woods and sometimes vice versa. I'm really happy how I've been hitting the ball in spurts lately.

This may not be processed at time of posting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOxZY--QXhU

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks for all the posts I went ahead and got 9 holes on the books next week. Going to be great to blame my terrible swings on being tight due to the cold.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
FB glad to hear you enjoying it out there

What’s the blue shaft on your iron in that video?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

wyoak posted:

FB glad to hear you enjoying it out there

What’s the blue shaft on your iron in that video?

Old rear end Adams 4 hybrid that goes about 185. As good as I hit that drive, that hole may as well be a par 5. I’ve hit driver 3 wood on that monster.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

abigserve posted:

I don’t know if I agree that swing speed will continue to get faster. I think we’ve seen an increase in it since the 90’s as pros look less like Daly and more like Morikowa. People are taking better care of themselves and developing strength and flexibility not common to the game until recently. I’d argue there is a limit to the speed one could swing repetitively and still maintain the myriad of other skills required to play at a professional level…while also not destroying their body.

Since 2007 tour average swing speed has increased a hair over 2mph, making a new tour standard ball isn’t something you’d see every year, maybe once a decade? Easier than standardizing club face thicknesses or something…I dunno.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

after pondering the ball situation further I've come to the hottest take. aggressively limit the balls, make it universal, make every red tee the blue tees. now we've solved the distance AND pace of play issues all at once!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

abigserve posted:

after pondering the ball situation further I've come to the hottest take. aggressively limit the balls, make it universal, make every red tee the blue tees. now we've solved the distance AND pace of play issues all at once!

You can limit the balls all you want, it’s not going to make them go straighter

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

You can limit the balls all you want, it’s not going to make them go straighter

Nothing I or my balls have done in 3 decades has been straight

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol fred couples owns

Awful Announcing posted:

This week, World Golf Hall of Famer Fred Couples was invited to be a guest speaker at a PGA Tour Champions breakfast ahead of the Hoag Classic in Newport Beach. During his speech, he had a few brutally honest things to say about the Saudi-backed tour.

“If you’re giving Phil Mickelson $200 million at age 52 to shoot 74 and 75, God bless you,” Couples joked, according to The Orange County Register.

During his speech, Couples said he tried to watch LIV’s most recent event at Playa del Carmen, Mexico – the first of 14 LIV Golf events that will be broadcast on The CW this year, as part of a new deal announced in January. Unfortunately for LIV, he found the broadcast nearly unwatchable.

“It was on the CW a couple weeks ago, or whatever that channel everybody is laughing about,” Couples said, poking fun at the conversation surrounding LIV Golf’s deal with the network. “I turned it on three times. It was so bad, I couldn’t even watch anyone that I liked. They don’t show ’em. … Who won the last one? I don’t even know.”

It’s a harsh assessment, but it’s clear that Couples wasn’t the only one who was less than interested in the broadcast. The ratings from the first LIV Golf event of the year were quite disappointing, pulling just a 0.2 overnight and failing to average more than 300,00o viewers on either day.

that line about Phil is tremendous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

DJExile posted:

Nothing I or my balls have done in 3 decades has been straight

:cawg:

Having just left a job that was so horrifically toxic might be a factor in my improvement too. I'm a little sore today, but I think I'm gonna walk at least another 9 today before the poo poo arrives. I'm a little addicted to golf right now and I think it's a perfect way to spend my time off before starting with the new company.