Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Xelkelvos posted:

One minor dumb thing is how quickly Gira got to the throne room from the village while everything was going on. Just teleprompter from one location to another

To a castle that is on top of a tower, to boot. Presuming that this was some sort of tunnel that only he or others knew about and there aren't any elevators, dude should be positively winded by the time he got there.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Okay I'm a bit more sold on Donbros after episode 3. It does seem like a plot is starting to form, and at the very least blue's intro showed me that I was right about all of the Donbros experiencing tragedies. Except red, but maybe that'll be revealed later. Don Momotaro still bothers me when he's transformed. I'm wondering if the severe personality shift will be plot relevant at some point.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay I'm a bit more sold on Donbros after episode 3. It does seem like a plot is starting to form, and at the very least blue's intro showed me that I was right about all of the Donbros experiencing tragedies. Except red, but maybe that'll be revealed later. Don Momotaro still bothers me when he's transformed. I'm wondering if the severe personality shift will be plot relevant at some point.

It gets a lot more plot-heavy after episode 30 or so. The first half is more loose and silly. There's lots of tonal whiplash throughout too which doesn't bother me (I also like Kojima games) but could legit drive a lot of people off. Some of the traditional sentai elements like the fights are crammed way down the priority list too. I'm sure that annoyed some people. There were definitely a couple moments in the middle of the series where I thought "if this wasn't making me laugh so much, it would kind of suck." Ultimately I was always willing to forgive it because it made me laugh and smile a lot and these Toku shows are always going to be a little scuffed because of the ridiculous production schedules.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
By episode 4 or 5 you will see the tragedy Tarou went through.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just watched Kingohger episode 1, and I'm really liking it. The aesthetic is really cool, and Gira's a nice change of pace after Taro, as a sweet, good-natured guy who nonetheless does not give a gently caress about going against authority for the sake of doing the right thing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

King-Ohger seems decent so far though I doubt they’re going to keep this level of CG up for the entire series. The OG Red being an rear end in a top hat and Gira taking over his power is a decent twist as well (it’s also nice to finally have a team with more than one girl again)

Have we gotten any leaks regarding the inevitable Sixth yet?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spider.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh yeah, I think I remember hearing something about that actually

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I didn’t like the cgi heavy ground battle, but loved that actual real mech fights are a thing again

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's a toy scan a possible 6th/upgrade form, but it's not Spider so idk if that's another person or something

https://twitter.com/Ben77878871/status/1625745644756369408

That grey/silver one is Ookuwagata as opposed to red's Kuwagata

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Xelkelvos posted:

There's a toy scan a possible 6th/upgrade form, but it's not Spider so idk if that's another person or something

https://twitter.com/Ben77878871/status/1625745644756369408

That grey/silver one is Ookuwagata as opposed to red's Kuwagata

Ohkuwagata is Racles most likely. He was leaked alongside a bunch of other things by 5ch's Guess-san, he's not a 6th, just a Bangai Hero of sorts akin to Zenkaiser Black.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Holy poo poo Kingohger episode 1 was incredibly good. I am immediately sold.

I feel like it's inevitable that at some point in the series (maybe after uniting the kingdoms) they will somehow get to modern day Japan, if only for budget reasons. Maybe I'll be wrong though, after all all of Kyuohger was set in an alternate universe (though they did spend a lot of time on Earth). And maybe Dekaranger took place in places other than Earth? I never watched that one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They have already said this setting will be the whole series.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
That's a three-hit combo of New, new, new, all in a row, between Zenkaiger, Donbrothers, and now Kingohger.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Keep in mind Yanma's country seems reasonably close enough to Modern Japan that any episodes there will let them give the budget at least a bit of a break, at least compared to say, the perpetual blizzard country.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is Gira just an older teenage orphan who helps out with the chores or is he an adult who works at the orphanage he's at

because I really hope they don't default to the fantasy trope of the orphan boy who's secretly a lost prince

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He's an orphan.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They are definitely doing that and I'm going to call that his ancestor (the true king and God Kuwagata pilot) is the unknown "someone" who said "Bugnarok has not been beaten for good, they will return" specifically because whatever betrayal led to Shugoddom passing over was also what prevented KingOhger from dealing the final blow somehow (like because they tripped him up before the fight was over and it didn't have all the Red power or something).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Keep in mind Yanma's country seems reasonably close enough to Modern Japan that any episodes there will let them give the budget at least a bit of a break, at least compared to say, the perpetual blizzard country.

They'll just film in the green screen room when they're in that country mostly

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xelkelvos posted:

First two eps of the Yodonna Special have been subbed

Is an understatement.

I just watched this one, thanks for telling us.

Weirdest episodes of Ultraman Orb I've ever watched.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Actually someone floated an alternative idea which is that Gira isn't actually royalty but the sword/mechas/bug gods decided he was 'more worthy' of being a Kingohger than Racles was, which I think would work better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

Actually someone floated an alternative idea which is that Gira isn't actually royalty but the sword/mechas/bug gods decided he was 'more worthy' of being a Kingohger than Racles was, which I think would work better.

Based on the fact the silver plush in the toy scan above bears a lot of similarities to Red I’m guessing Racles will gain a new power eventually (and probably be an antagonist for a little while as well)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Junpei posted:

a similar one I've seen floated is that he became worthy when he declared his intent to be King, that concept of Royalty as mindset rather than bloodline being key to wielding it's power, or to illustrate with webcomics;

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gira is an orphan who conspicuously does not have a last name, he is 100% going to be a lost prince

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Waffleman_ posted:

Gira is an orphan who conspicuously does not have a last name, he is 100% going to be a lost prince

That'd be, shall we say, rather lucky of him.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AKmk-tGoR0

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Geats spoilers:
Looks like Ace won a lot more than four DGPs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
King Ohger 2: Yanma is literallya cyberpunk bancho and the entire nation is his crew. Also they're apparently classless. A nation of cyber-punks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

King-Oh's production staff mostly being from Rider is really showing in how serialized the show feels right now. We'll see if that's the case for the whole series or if it's just for this 5-part prologue.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Geats spoilers:

-Gotta admit, I really should have seen "Reincarnation" as an option for an explanation for Ace. It would square both the "but he has regular legal parents" and the flashback mom he has.
-Given rule of symbolism... Boost MK. 2 has 5 tails, and in legends, a kitsune grows a new tail for every 100 years it lives, which places Ace's 'lifespan'? at 400/500 years. Assuming time flows linearly. Which we've been told it hasn't.
-It's weirdly both kind of sad and kind of nice that Azuma didn't really think Jamato-Tohru was anything like the original. He wasn't being strung along by happy memories via a carefully selected ID Core by Archimedel or Beroba, but that also means he really does kind of want to drown the world in sadness.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Michinaga is Baron Mk2.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Micchinaga is correct. These absolute freaks have no right to go around bending reality to their stupid selfish whims.

He's also wrong in that what he's doing won't stop em.

He's also even more right for choosing to get bullied by cruel lady.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw4zVmtj9zg

Kingohger OP goes hard.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 13, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

omg that rules

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Xelkelvos posted:

Things left unexplained that'll probably come up in the VS movie or a special:

#1 Kaito.
#2 Mother and Murasame

I think that's it!

I think Kijino's attempt at a relationship with Natsumi won't be as ideal as when he was with Miho but it's probably not that significant in the grand scheme of things I think.

I kind of hope they bring up Owner collecting the Sentai gears, which seems more like a dropped plot point.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay I'm actually really enjoying Gira's personality. He's a very intriguing mix of your average "Basic pure good boi" Sentai red, someone who LARPs as this cocky anti-heroic tyrant, and a rebellious youth speaking truth to power, and I'm interested to see his dynamic with the other three Kingohgers.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I haven't watched Donbrothers yet and I stalled out about halfway through Kiramager-- was Donbrothers as frenetic as King-Ohger is? At least in the action scenes I'm kind of finding myself going "okay, calm down a little with the cuts." Maybe it's just them getting their money's worth out of these high-budget early episodes.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
don't think the fight scenes in Donbrothers are very good at all imo, just a bunch of cgi clutter

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RichterIX posted:

I haven't watched Donbrothers yet and I stalled out about halfway through Kiramager-- was Donbrothers as frenetic as King-Ohger is? At least in the action scenes I'm kind of finding myself going "okay, calm down a little with the cuts." Maybe it's just them getting their money's worth out of these high-budget early episodes.

No the action is much more watchable but often over quickly because the overall show is way way way more happy to just sit back and do character bits and work and have maybe 2 mins of fighting the whole episode and let plot beats and story poo poo sit and stew for multiple episodes. King-Ohger seems like the direct opposite of Donbrothers in tone and style. It's interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Crossposting from the Power Rangers thread:

Junpei posted:

Eka Darville (Scott from RPM) just started a GoFundMe for his son Mana, who's just been diagnosed with brain cancer.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/LetsGoMana