Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Elfface posted:

Local genius solves love triangle.

Prime Minister passes polygamy bill, immediately enters throuple with middle school crush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Prime Minister passes polygamy bill, immediately enters throuple with middle school crush.

Ministerial throuple immediately expands into several person polycule.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Xelkelvos posted:

Ministerial throuple immediately expands into several person polycule.

Bronze Age rear end government where the bureaucracy is all literally members of one family

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
New chapter is up. The line between Kawai and Yamai is blurring.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

SpacePig posted:

At least Kawai is taking "no" for an answer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm rooting for Kawai.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She seems a bit psychotic, I dunno.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

And here I thought Asa was the year's Queen of Taking Losses.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I love the "Oh. I didn't see you come in..." feel to the start of the video. It's all so corny.

chumbler posted:

I'm rooting for Kawai.

She just needs a nice dull boy like Tadano. What's that narrator kid up to these days?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
She sucks but it's funny so I'll allow it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the really funny part is that they'd probably both go for it if it was proposed by manbagi.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mirage posted:

At least Kawai is taking "no" for an answer.

Is she? Because the second to last chapter ended with her realizing she had lost Tadano to Komi and the next chapter opens with her deciding "Okay, but about how about I just marry you both instead?" and then setting about to achieve that by learning everything empirical about Komi without actually spending any time doing something as mundane as getting to know her personally. The thing she had just been made aware was a fault of her relationship with basically everyone else in her life. She'll probably accept it eventually, but at the moment she is essentially another stalker; just a more upfront and less sexually creepy one. Her actions are still kind of creepy in their own way though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SpacePig posted:

the chapter seems to be gone

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's still on mangadex. Just not at that link anymore.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It was kind of cute at first but it feels like a one step forward three steps backwards kinda thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm glad Kawaii got to have a sleepover with her newly realized friends though.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
https://mangadex.org/chapter/cb9771a4-0217-428f-958f-99a0edf33732

Here you go. A nice stick.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tadano just wrecking house. Brutal.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Hiding or finding dirty magazines out in the woods seems to be one universal teenage thing, at least pre-internet, that just passed me by. I've seen it mentioned in several media from America and Japan, and people in other places talk about doing it and I'd never even heard of it as a thing until a couple of years ago when I saw it in something or other. What a strange little cultural nugget that is, at least presumably, dead and gone before I even knew about it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I just caught up with this a couple of days ago; Komi and Tadano are adorable and the other characters are endearingly goofy.

Except Yamai.

New chapter, they're still adorable

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Emo-chan is the hero this manga needs after beating about the bush on things for so long. Pity Onemine is the villain <:(>

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
emoyama's obviously gonna die, but she's gonna burn bright right 'til the end.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

Emo-chan is the hero this manga needs after beating about the bush on things for so long. Pity Onemine is the villain <:(>

Doing the Sebastian the crab job to try and get Tadano to sha-la-la-la kiss the girl but foiled at the last minute.

I'm simultaneously kind of getting annoyed at how long this is taking, but also got a big kick of Tadano and Komi treating hugging like he's getting to second base or something.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You mean it's not?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TwoPair posted:

Doing the Sebastian the crab job to try and get Tadano to sha-la-la-la kiss the girl but foiled at the last minute.

I'm simultaneously kind of getting annoyed at how long this is taking, but also got a big kick of Tadano and Komi treating hugging like he's getting to second base or something.

I'm kind of annoyed about it too, but also recognize that as slow as the pacing on it is that it's still a bajillion times faster than a lot of other manga which just draw it out indefinitely until the mangaka is ready to wrap up the entire thing and honestly find it kind of amusing the ways that the manga finds to interrupt them. Komi's parents freaking out Tadano and Komi was very fun. I do want it to happen eventually and for things to just move on, but every time it's set up and avoided it's also kind of funny so I'm forgiving of it anyway.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Ranma and Akane didn't even hold hands until the end of the series.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Goku and Chichi have been married for at least 25 years and have never kissed. People go at their own pace.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah but Goku and Chi Chi gently caress.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The champion is Ippo anyways

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

New Komi is out. Real treat for the Manbagi fans out there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And here I had my money on Narrator kid to be the Tadano replacement for her. Oh well I'm very glad any time people actually get together in this show instead of being in stuck in an awkward kid holding pattern.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Here's a link for the chapter.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/6dae91ce-7d09-4d73-83bd-73d5e4d32855

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so she went for a komi rather than a tadano.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

She also went for a guy who is good at sports. I like that this story is kind of foreshadowed by her middle school crush being her school's baseball ace.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hell yeah get your man (third choice) Manbagi. You deserve it after being robbed.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Manbagi rules so much.

This chapter also kind of highlights a dichotomy among the characters in Komi-san: characters who are very comfortable with their gimmick and characters who are not so into their gimmick. The obvious place to look for this is Tadano and Komi. Tadano is pretty comfortable being average (he wasn't in 8th grade but that's also part of, well, being average). Komi by contrast doesn't like how her communication disorder cuts her off from other people, she is clearly suffering from this disorder and working hard to over come it, that's literally the a-plot of the entire series.

Manbagi and Wakai both fit into the latter camp, and they themselves highlight another layer of dichotomy inside that camp1. Manbagi was only doing the crazy manba makeup for like, 2 chapters. She thought she looked cute, got told she didn't, stopped, and it doesn't really define her. Wakai's gimmick is more like Komi's, its not something he can just drop its something he has to fight and that he is clearly suffering from and its a long term issue. And he is fighting it! And making progress. He wants to be able to connect to women, or at least Manbagi, and he is getting better about it.

Anyway I think a lot of what this whole manga is about is the concept of gap appeal, which I think is a cool concept and I'm not really familiar with anything other than manga talking about it. A really clear example is Toshio in ch396 - he looks incredibly tough but he's so gentle that woodland animals perch on him, and that's appealing and fascinating. Komi herself is a good example - she's this cool beauty, seemingly untouchable and perfect and distant, but she actually has a very human core of loving cute things and being incredibly anxious about connecting to others. And of course Tadano is an average guy who is in fact intensely able to buck not just averageness in general in the ways he's profoundly able to connect to others, but also buck the averageness of this insane silly universe where people are living out cartoon gimmicks.

Thinking about it, I think this might be part of why Yamai keeps coming back despite how hateable she is. The question of Yamai is, given what she's done, what level of gap would be necessary to make her appealing and sympathetic? It's a problem and I don't think its been overcome. The relationship she has with Nakanaka goes some way towards that, where its a relationship of kind of charming equal antagonism where her profoundly non-equal relationships are just incredibly off-putting, but TBH I think it hasn't quite gotten there and it might never.

1 I could go on about how I think this is in general grounded in a very fundamental daoism but I don't feel the need to bore everyone. "The Supreme Polarity in activity generates yang; yet at the limit of activity it is still. In stillness it generates yin; yet at the limit of stillness it is also active. Activity and stillness alternate; each is the basis of the other. In distinguishing yin and yang, the Two Modes are thereby established."

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Tulip posted:

Manbagi rules so much.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Okay, but what's Najimi's gap?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

All of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Xelkelvos posted:

They're the reverse they have the anti-appeal of being kind of a terrible friend who is despite that friends with everyone.