Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I had a dream the other night that I was working at a bank or an international agency or some poo poo and Putin met with me. he said "what is the problem? do you love America so much? I will pay you to be hacker." and I ran away like a wuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

has it been reported yet where the drone was

The bottom of the Black Sea

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

new moss dropped
https://twitter.com/mossrobeson__/status/1635729669243953152?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I knew he greenscreened

look at that fucker

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Chubby manlet fucker

Im going to beat him up

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Some Guy TT posted:

whats this cartoonists name that signature is completely illegible

hes polish so its illegible either way

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

drat reddit is down, i wanna read the bloodlust over a drone

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CODChimera posted:

drat reddit is down, i wanna read the bloodlust over a drone

... What if... Reddit was on the drone

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

good for Mr Z imo

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

By then, the commander-in-chief of the Ukrainian armed forces Valeriy Zaluzhny had been pictured wearing an M-TAC shirt that says in English, “Zero Tolerance to Invaders,” while depicting 11th century Kyivan prince Yaroslav the Wise holding the severed head of a vanquished enemy. Zaluzhny has been a fan of M-TAC since before this war began, and was spotted wearing one of their winter coats with an M-TAC patch (“Ukraine in the Fight”) a week before Russia invaded. “TM_Militarist,” of course, highlighted both of these incidents.

so it wasn't just a bracelet.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
He's trying to burn the fat but its not working

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Another example of the dire anecdotes in the article not matching with the anonymous intelligence numbers they cite. IIRC the Ukrainian ground forces were around 200k before the war and have since had hundreds of thousands of men mobilized into it, but meanwhile it sure seems like all the professional soldiers are gone and they're having to feed in recruits with minimal training to make up for casualties. How do these manpower problems make sense if the army should have had net growth?

quote:

Statistics aside, an influx of inexperienced draftees, brought in to plug the losses, has changed the profile of the Ukrainian force, which is also suffering from basic shortages of ammunition, including artillery shells and mortar bombs, according to military personnel in the field.

“The most valuable thing in war is combat experience,” said a battalion commander in the 46th Air Assault Brigade, who is being identified only by his call sign, Kupol, in keeping with Ukrainian military protocol. “A soldier who has survived six months of combat and a soldier who came from a firing range are two different soldiers. It’s heaven and earth.”

“And there are only a few soldiers with combat experience,” Kupol added. “Unfortunately, they are all already dead or wounded.”

quote:

Ukraine has lost many of its junior officers who received U.S. training over the past nine years, eroding a corps of leaders who helped distinguish the Ukrainians from their Russian enemies at the start of the invasion, the Ukrainian official said. Now, the official said, those forces must be replaced. “A lot of them are killed,” the official said.
(the numbers here also don't make sense. If Kupal is the only professional soldier left that implies a casualty rate of much higher than 100%, although apparently the 46th brigade underwent major reorganization. But even so it's a lot)

quote:

After a year of war, Kupol, a lieutenant colonel, said his battalion is unrecognizable. Of about 500 soldiers, roughly 100 were killed in action and another 400 wounded, leading to complete turnover. Kupol said he was the sole military professional in the battalion, and he described the struggle of leading a unit composed entirely of inexperienced troops.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/IISS_org/status/1635678427024961552

damned fifth columnists ruining everything like usual

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Thoguh posted:

The bottom of the Black Sea

no, the Russians said they fished it out already

I guess it was just off the coast of Crimea.. not so far from Sevastopol

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Starsfan posted:

no, the Russians said they fished it out already

I guess it was just off the coast of Crimea.. not so far from Sevastopol

the mq-9's going to find a new home in tehran

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

Keep daring the West, Comrades. We don’t spend $ trillions per year on military weapons and personnel to let them sit on a shelf.

The Russians have proved their ineptitude in Ukraine. We have the advantage. Use it.

lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1635497395625631744

fortunately ukraine will surely have won the war by then right

right?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mawarannahr posted:

good for Mr Z imo

My man 100% took steroids lmao

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
EU willingly enters a recession and destroys wide swathes of its industry. US: you didnt do enough you loving paypigs

Lmao

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
it's very important we wreck our economies and industries just as we go into the climate crisis

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well if you have a better solution than deindustrialization and putting enough dust in the atmosphere to blot out the sun, I'd like to hear it.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

sum posted:

Another example of the dire anecdotes in the article not matching with the anonymous intelligence numbers they cite. IIRC the Ukrainian ground forces were around 200k before the war and have since had hundreds of thousands of men mobilized into it, but meanwhile it sure seems like all the professional soldiers are gone and they're having to feed in recruits with minimal training to make up for casualties. How do these manpower problems make sense if the army should have had net growth?

(the numbers here also don't make sense. If Kupal is the only professional soldier left that implies a casualty rate of much higher than 100%, although apparently the 46th brigade underwent major reorganization. But even so it's a lot)

Man, being the last guy standing out of a 500 man battalion must be some serious survivor guilt. gently caress this war.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1635751465271853056

you heard it here first folks putin thinks the germans should aspire to being nazis again

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Lostconfused posted:

Well if you have a better solution than deindustrialization and putting enough dust in the atmosphere to blot out the sun, I'd like to hear it.

hmmm, never thought about it like that

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

did somebody ask for vatnik???

https://twitter.com/P_Kallioniemi/status/1635619867704324096

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sum posted:

We are at the point where articles can hint something is very very off, but the headline has to "stay on message" so you geat a near total disconnect over what is going on.

Also, the Ukrainian army was 255,000 witha a 900,000 pool of reservists in 2021. It does seem much of the professional army, in the sense what was sent into combat, is largely gone. In addition, it seems like at least a good portion of those reservists are out of action or unavailable as well one way or another. It may be they weren't killed/wounded, but simply they one way or another left the country or are working in an essential industry. You don't start throwing civilians into combat like they have been on a growing level if you have reservists with at least some military experience around. (Also, a portion of those reservists also overlap with TDF battalions but those have largely been taken off the line or depleted.)

But yeah I think Ukrainian losses to quite high at this point especially if professionals/reservists have largely been burn though at this point. Arguably, the Ukrainians could still try to shake out more reservists from essential industries but it may actually have a higher political cost versus sending teenagers with no training into a meat grinder.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This thread has been on the MTAC poo poo since way back, remember all the Political patches and AVs handed out to GBS?

e: It’s darkly funny to me that formation retained the Air Assault designation despite being down to a single qualified soldier and presumably not having any helicopters available either.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:44 on Mar 14, 2023

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Other collisions were safe and professional.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And environmentally friendly!

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
sounds like if the pilot flew away and the drone hit the water it was pretty safe and done professionally?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
im the amateur fighter jet pilot able to wing tip spill a drone

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

The su27 was modified for rollin coal, a flagrant violation of the Paris climate accords

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

has it been reported yet where the drone was

International waters

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

international waters so shallow Russia could fish a drone out in a couple hours

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
that russian fighter pilot must have been laughing his rear end off every time he showered the yank drone with fuel, unprofessional but :slick:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

international waters so shallow Russia could fish a drone out in a couple hours

Are you saying you don't trust the US military to accurately report whether one of our military assets was in international waters or not? The US government would never deceive you about such a thing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i dont see much value in bothering to fish out the drone. no one will care if the plane didn't hit it and its fairly old tech wise

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
A Flanker bonking into a drone and taking the drone down in international airspace is funny, but now there will be many a pasturing and possibly escalation and that gets tiresome.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

let's be serious, a US pilot would 1000% also do it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t think it’s telling tales out of school to say I always see positions listed for CSIS Surveillance Officers in Kingston, and it makes you wonder who the hell they are surveilling here.

I would guess probably Chinese students and staff at the (civilian) university. I met two plainclothes DHS people who were working in Canada and they were obsessed with monitoring Chinese students here. Like, more than drug mules, guys going to join ISIS, it was just the comings and goings of Chinese computer science students.

So there’s probably a 21 Jump Street program or similarly brilliant idea that I’m unaware of.

My parent's neighbours (aka my old neighbours)' son is an F16 pilot now. He initially tried to join up a bunch of years back but was rejected, afaik they didn't tell him the exact reason. He was still obsessed with flying and determined to make it happen, so he went to study something to do with aviation tech, including a year or semester or whatever in China. Then when he could he tried again and got through the selection. When he was on bivouac as part of his basic training some officers show up to tell him he has been dismissed effective immediately because he was in China for a while and military intelligence doesn't want to allocate the resources required to background check that, so they're just kicking him out instead.

He sued and took it to a trial in which he represented himself and managed to force them to take him back but errr yeah, the whole west is paranoid as gently caress about China.